Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

Anyone else having issues with the Irish Radioplayer skill? It used to work really well for me but in the last few weeks every time I ask it to play a station I get a privacy warning and it asks me if I agree. I’ve said yes, I agree etc. but then nothing. Driving me mad, have tried disabling but nothing works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭893bet

893bet wrote: »
    My spotify is not working with Alexa either. Thing there must be a problem.

Its fully F%^%£d.

If i ask it to play real simple things like "play oasis on spotify" it cant find anything. Cant find playlists. The only thing it can find is "play nineties" or "play classical music"

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

hatrack wrote: »
    Anyone else having issues with the Irish Radioplayer skill? It used to work really well for me but in the last few weeks every time I ask it to play a station I get a privacy warning and it asks me if I agree. I’ve said yes, I agree etc. but then nothing. Driving me mad, have tried disabling but nothing works.

Having same issue since I tried to install it for the first time about 2 weeks ago. I gave up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Having same issue since I tried to install it for the first time about 2 weeks ago. I gave up on it.

I don't see the need for the Irish Radio Player skill. I just ask Alexa to play the station, Irish or otherwise.

I don't see the need for the Irish Radio Player skill. I just ask Alexa to play the station, Irish or otherwise.

Do you listen to newstalk? I Can't seem to get it through tunein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

With regards playing radio stations, when I first started requesting stations I had to stipulate the country of the station i.e." Alexa Play Newstalk Radio Ireland" Otherwise i was getting a station in Israel,Now I just need to say "Alexa Play Newstalk Radio"

Anyone having issues-Make sure your location etc. is set up correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I have about four echo devices, scattered across a couple of houses. All connected through my account. Bought one for the father in law and explained about how he current use Spotify as it would turn turn off on the ones in our house but it was like talking to a brick wall. Anyone know if there's anyway to disable a service on a specific device? I want his echo to default to Amazon music and mine to Spotify to stop him interrupting me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,005 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I have about four echo devices, scattered across a couple of houses. All connected through my account. Bought one for the father in law and explained about how he current use Spotify as it would turn turn off on the ones in our house but it was like talking to a brick wall. Anyone know if there's anyway to disable a service on a specific device? I want his echo to default to Amazon music and mine to Spotify to stop him interrupting me.

Could you not set him up an Amazon account and unlink your account?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Could you not set him up an Amazon account and unlink your account?

I could but am the various things connected to it (plugs/bulbs etc) are on my accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

I could but am the various things connected to it (plugs/bulbs etc) are on my accounts.
    I guess what other poster meant to say reset dot to factory setting and set it up your father in law with his own account and app on his phone and thats it, that shouldnt interfere in any way with your current setup, as it will be one less dot and skills will remain on your existing ones. Since keeping such setup is grand if using drop in function to call but otherwise a bit pointless or more simple step if you wanna keep things as is register him on his own spotify account, as each account has to be separately linked to exact device.

• Advertisement

scamalert wrote: »
    I guess what other poster meant to say reset dot to factory setting and set it up your father in law with his own account and app on his phone and thats it, that shouldnt interfere in any way with your current setup, as it will be one less dot and skills will remain on your existing ones. Since keeping such setup is grand if using drop in function to call but otherwise a bit pointless or more simple step if you wanna keep things as is register him on his own spotify account, as each account has to be separately linked to exact device.

I know what he meant. My point is that his house has various smart devices all configured under my accounts and connected via my Amazon account.

I could of course delete all those and create new accounts for him for every relevant device and service. I'd just prefer not to. The ability to turn a service off (in my case Spotify) for a specific device would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Alexa play Skyrim is excellent

With regards playing radio stations, when I first started requesting stations I had to stipulate the country of the station i.e." Alexa Play Newstalk Radio Ireland" Otherwise i was getting a station in Israel,Now I just need to say "Alexa Play Newstalk Radio"

Anyone having issues-Make sure your location etc. is set up correctly

That does the trick for me, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

I have an Echo for upstairs and a dot downstairs.

Upstairs always worked fine for spotify and tunein whereas downstairs on the dot certain stations on tunein who almost block out the lyrics of a song while you could hear the music perfectly.

Liekwise for the dj talk (on 6 music for example if there is no music but the DJ is talking, I just get silence, but on WEFUNK which I also operate on tunein, there are no such issues).

Then this morning, the same issue hit the upstairs echo after working perfectly for months for both spotify and tunein.

Bizarrely no such issues at all with irish radio player stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Lfcfan2017

I'm trying to get the Irish radio player skill to work on my android device alexa app but having no joy. Stand alone channels play fine. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hi all - took advantage of prime day to pick up an Echo and two Dots..

Just arrived on my desk. Something to play with at home later.

I'm sure I'll be back here but good to know that there is a community to get some answers when I need them.

First issue

I have Hive and Hue bulbs. Wanted to integrate them obviously enough. I was able to enable smart home skill for both but Hive website says that I need another skill..

But when I go to enable that skill I get some message about geographical restrictions?

Anyone had that? And worked around it?

lawred2 wrote: »
    First issue

I have Hive and Hue bulbs. Wanted to integrate them obviously enough. I was able to enable smart home skill for both but Hive website says that I need another skill..

But when I go to enable that skill I get some message about geographical restrictions?

Anyone had that? And worked around it?

ok got that sorted by changing my region settings to UK

daft

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Lfcfan2017

lawred2 wrote: »
    ok got that sorted by changing my region settings to UK

daft
    Where did you change them? I had the same issue with real radio player.

Lfcfan2017 wrote: »
    Where did you change them? I had the same issue with real radio player.

Log on to your Amazon account

Then access Your Account drop down

The click Your Account

Then under "Digital content and devices" you'll see "Content and devices" - click that

Then click "Preferences"

And then you'll find "Country/Region Settings" - click that and you'll be able to edit your region to UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Should Ireland not be selected now seen as its supported here,I have all my Echos X 3 set to my home address,it does traffic reports etc. as a result and even local shop opening times and cinema listings work.

Should Ireland not be selected now seen as its supported here,I have all my Echos X 3 set to my home address,it does traffic reports etc. as a result and even local shop opening times and cinema listings work.

Most definitely - this is an issue with a stupid Hive skill that is for some reason UK restricted.

Despite Hive themselves selling through BGE in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Some thing like connecting a fire TV stick to your set up you need the UK to be your region.

It's worth noting that the device location can still be Ireland - even though your account location defaults to UK

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Does the command 'Alexa, create a list' work for anyone? I'm getting 'Hmm, I don't know that one' when I try it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

keane2097 wrote: »
    Does the command 'Alexa, create a list' work for anyone? I'm getting 'Hmm, I don't know that one' when I try it...

i just tried it, and instead of saying create list- i said alexa create to do list and said prepare for for on sunday which when asked whats on my to do list got response what i said, and then you put in stuff, i figured since it has alexa create shopping list it basically the same except you need to pick wording that she would <-- :D recognize.
    Now when i tried to clear the list i needed to go into alexa app on the phone and into lists section there was to-do section created, and just deleted from there.So try alexa create my work list or whatever you need and see how you get on, as i barely use the device besides as light switch nowadays :]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Works for me.

Works for me.

That's interesting. It's a dead end for me, and from googling it appears the ability to create custom lists is only available in America at the moment. Do you have your device set up to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

That's interesting. It's a dead end for me, and from googling it appears the ability to create custom lists is only available in America at the moment. Do you have your device set up to Ireland?

Double checked.

Location is Dublin, Language is English UK and time zone is Eire of my Echo.

I also have a Dot which I've set the language to USA (for My Questions skill).

*** The Echo is the device which I'm testing this on. I'lll test on the Dot tomorrow (Mrs Crinklewood is currently asleep beside it) ***

App version is 1.24.202866.0

Bridge Version is 2.2.214693.0

• Advertisement

Double checked.

Location is Dublin, Language is English UK and time zone is Eire of my Echo.

I also have a Dot which I've set the language to USA (for My Questions skill).

*** The Echo is the device which I'm testing this on. I'lll test on the Dot tomorrow (Mrs Crinklewood is currently asleep beside it) ***

App version is 1.24.202866.0

Bridge Version is 2.2.214693.0

Thanks for checking. My settings are the same as you but she still tells me she doesn't know that one when I try to create a new list. I have it synced with AnyList app on the phone, so I can still create new lists manually through that, but if I try to add something to it she will stubbornly add it to my shopping list no matter what I say :-/

Maybe it's a problem with the skill. I might try disabling it and trying again later.

Advertisement