Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mondo44

I got woox plugs on sale for about £7.50, normally around 15-16. They work as good as the £25 amazon one i got.

Did you have any trouble linking the wook plugs with Alexa. Some reviews said they had trouble linking them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

A little, i got 6, when i got to number 3 or 4 it stopped linking, but i just restarted the phone and it found them again right away.

Zero issues since.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

Hi Guys,

Does anybody know when Amazon is rolling out whisper mode to the UK and Ireland ?

Any response appreciated

whiz wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Does anybody know when Amazon is rolling out whisper mode to the UK and Ireland ?

Any response appreciated

Should be out, just ask "Alexa, turn on whisper mode".

Should be out, just ask "Alexa, turn on whisper mode".

I tried that but it's not working with echo dots and it's not available to select in the App settings

• Advertisement

Tried it here and got the same, wonder is it a dot thing.

My dot stopped talking at night so it wouldn't wake everyone but no idea how i did it. She asked if i'd like quiet mode or something, i just said yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Tried it here and got the same, wonder is it a dot thing.

My dot stopped talking at night so it wouldn't wake everyone but no idea how i did it. She asked if i'd like quiet mode or something, i just said yes.

Maybe you are thinking of 'brief mode'?
    When you ask for something she doesn't say 'Ok' each time afterwards.

I don't it's a dot problem as ppl in the USA have posted videos using this whisper feature in the dots

I think the whisper mode hasn't been rolled out here in the UK and Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I don't it's a dot problem as ppl in the USA have posted videos using this whisper feature in the dots

I think the whisper mode hasn't been rolled out here in the UK and Ireland

Yeah - I think that's it - it's supposed to be in Settings -> Alexa Account -> Alexa Voice Responses (via the app) but it's not there, so I reckon it's not been rolled out here yet

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Paying for Prime and having Alexa tell me every song I want is an extra sub away is getting tiring very ****ing fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

I recently got the dot, updated location in the app and when I did the AccuWeather on the home screen within the app now doesnt work. It's been a few days and no change. Anybody know how to fix?
    I separately previously already had AccuWeather and it recognises the location in the app so it's not that AccuWeather doesn't have the location.

ED E wrote: »
    Paying for Prime and having Alexa tell me every song I want is an extra sub away is getting tiring very ****ing fast.

Is amazon music available in Prime to Irish users ?

Is amazon music available in Prime to Irish users ?

Nope, you have to sub to music unlimited.
    I had prime as i had a subscription for nappies so it worked out cheaper to have it but now im seeing less and less value in it,

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Nope, you have to sub to music unlimited.
    I had prime as i had a subscription for nappies so it worked out cheaper to have it but now im seeing less and less value in it,

I didn't know that either. I have prime and Im supposed to have "Prime music"

Is that different to music unlimited??

Prime is getting too complicated with all the various subs on it.

I also have kindle unlimited but I also get prime reading with my prime sub.

Think its time I opted out of prime.

Hellrazer wrote: »

I think in the UK , the annual prime subscription covers amazon music , thus they may do the same here

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hellrazer wrote: »

I think in the UK , the annual prime subscription covers amazon music , thus they may do the same here

My Prime sub is a UK one.
    What does Music Unlimited have that Prime doesn't?
    The first major difference between the services is that Prime Music only offers 2 million songs, while Music Unlimited offers "tens of millions" of tracks.

^ Prime music is basically a dud. Ask it for Daft Punk you'll be fine, ask it for anything less popular and you'll get "Blah blah would you like to know more #StarShipTroopers".

Google Music is my day to day service as is and it'll take a big push to change that. The Dot was a gift that I may end up shelving in favour of Home.

Spotify works with Alexa but you need Premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭OldRio

Spotify works with Alexa but you need Premium.

No. Incorrect. Spotify works fine without Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

I think you need to have Spotify premium to be able to link it to alexa but you don't need Amazon prime

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭OldRio

VandC wrote: »
    I think you need to have Spotify premium to be able to link it to alexa but you don't need Amazon prime

Sorry getting my knickers in a twist regarding Prime and Premium. Apologies.

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    No. Incorrect. Spotify works fine without Prime.

You do need Spotify premium, not Amazon prime. Otherwise all you can do is bluetooth audio from your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭padski08

I received a present of the Amazon Dot 3rd Gen from a family member, but will not work due to the 2 pin plug.

Does anyone know if possible to buy a replacement UK/ Ireland 3 pin plug?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

padski08 wrote: »
    I received a present of the Amazon Dot 3rd Gen from a family member, but will not work due to the 2 pin plug.

Just use a travel adaptor plug. Or try amazon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭ablelocks

yeah it is - I'd be more inclined to get an amazon one than a third party one though. Although I'm going to use travel adaptors for mine....

I've a german echo and 2 US dots to set up to go with a UK echo and dot.

I hope they all get along and not go all geopolitical on me....

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Deezer premium works with the echo dot too. I'm getting good value out of the years Turkish subscription for 16 odd euro that was on bargain alerts during the summer!

faceman wrote: »
    Just use a travel adaptor plug. Or try amazon. :)

Searched Amazon and couldn't find one, but was searching specifically for a "replacement" plug for Dot 3rd Gen
    There is one suitable for the Echo, but states not suitable for Dot

ablelocks wrote: »
    yeah it is - I'd be more inclined to get an amazon one than a third party one though. Although I'm going to use travel adaptors for mine....

I've a german echo and 2 US dots to set up to go with a UK echo and dot.

I hope they all get along and not go all geopolitical on me....

I bought an adaptor in Power City (link below), and didnt work, so defo interested in hearing success story on which adaptor will work :)

https://powercity.ie/product/65100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭wally79

Searched Amazon and couldn't find one, but was searching specifically for a "replacement" plug for Dot 3rd Gen
    There is one suitable for the Echo, but states not suitable for Dot

I bought an adaptor in Power City (link below), and didnt work, so defo interested in hearing success story on which adaptor will work :)

https://powercity.ie/product/65100

Is this the one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-PowerFast-Original-Charger-readers/dp/B01I0IGFZM/ref=pd_aw_fbt_425_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01I0IGFZM&pd_rd_r=95904d49-0ea7-11e9-b808-fdb51f2211df&pd_rd_w=nOySr&pd_rd_wg=mqkdj&pf_rd_p=a4c7899b-c956-454d-a7a4-9ed0c7e0eb80&pf_rd_r=HPWAHMXHK3WQ932V050D&psc=1&refRID=HPWAHMXHK3WQ932V050D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

What you bought should really work presuming your dot fits(USA plug) BUT that is for reducing the voltage. The echos and most other electronic devices these days work between at 110v(USA) and the 220-240v we use over here. You should try just getting a travel adapter, they are €1.50 in dealz. That's what my echo show is using at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Unfortunatly not. The cable is attached to the plug, so this usb plug won’t work

Amazon advised to send back for refund and buy in UK direct. Not ideal but maybe only long term option

Seriously get the 1.50 travel adapter is will work.

Advertisement