Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭padski08

iamtony wrote: »
    Seriously get the 1.50 travel adapter is will work.

Cool, cheers. Will give that a go.

I was (am) concerned about leaving this plugged in full time, would this be a safety issue?

Only use these when abroad, so wouldn’t know what long term or full time use would be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

padski08 wrote: »

I was (am) concerned about leaving this plugged in full time, would this be a safety issue?

Only use these when abroad, so wouldn’t know what long term or full time use would be
    they are CE certified and are fused so just as safe as an ordinary plug. The power draw of things like that isn't much so it won't be putting a heavy load on it like a kettle or an iron would for instance so shouldn't cause it any trouble. We have loads of stuff from the US and use the adapters all the time. In fact the other half in in ney York right now and she's bringing me back stuff that will need more adapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Many newer plugs actually have a detachable piece so you can swap between US and EU and UK plugs. Same as using an adaptor.

I saw replacement echo plugs on Amazon from third party sellers for around a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Apologies if this is a stupid question but set up prime today with a parcel motel address adn while I got the video/TV to work with a firestick I can't get music to stream (not the premium service now, just regular). Any thoughts?

Forgot to add...I have a Revolut card that I haven't registered yet. The Revolut App is asking me for ID to prove I'm in Ireland but I don't want to do that just yet if it messes up my amazon account....

Is it possible to set up your TV as UK and music as Ireland? I assume not, but just asking!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

padski08 wrote: »

I have a U.K. echo plugged in all the time in Spain with a travel adapter. Never had an issue. Adapter cost €2. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Panrich

I have multiple echo devices and want to update my wifi password. All the spiel seems to indicate that I've got to connect each one to my phone again to take the new password. This seems a clunky solution for 6x echos especially if you want to change passwords on a regular basis. Anyone seen any global commands to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mondo44

I have 4 lights in the living room and was wondering can they all be dimmed together Ithrough the Alexa app. I can do it with my amazon dot but can’t with the app. Anyone know if this can be done

Mondo44 wrote: »
    I have 4 lights in the living room and was wondering can they all be dimmed together Ithrough the Alexa app. I can do it with my amazon dot but can’t with the app. Anyone know if this can be done

Try set up a Group with the 4 lights in it and call it something like "lights". Then try the command, Alexa, dim lights 50%. That should dim the group by 50%. So all 4 should turn down.

Out of interest anyone get some nice bulbs?

I got 2 from ebay, China's finest. But they arrived as cold white with RGB and are pretty jarring. Really like the old florescent strips that give me a pain the white is so industrial and the colours are all so low they are pretty useless.

So far the lamps have plugs but id like to be able to control and dim the bulbs in the main lights.

• Advertisement

Try set up a Group with the 4 lights in it and call it something like "lights". Then try the command, Alexa, dim lights 50%. That should dim the group by 50%. So all 4 should turn down.

I’ve done that. What I want to do is dim them at the same time from the app and not the dot device

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I’ve done that. What I want to do is dim them at the same time from the app and not the dot device

I have my lights assigned to "sitting room" in the Alexa app and when I go in to the "lights" section I have sitting room as listed and then I have the ability to dim the lights from there

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

If youve the latest app, there will be an icon on the bottom right which is a house with 2 keyholes. Click it
    Firstly you should see all the groups as coloured boxes... I think you can click the coloured box to switch the group on/off...
    But if you click the "lights" icon in the top strip. All your lights will show up in lists, grouped in the groups you've assigned.
    There is an on/off switch at the top of the grouping, opposite the group name where you can switch the whole lot on/off.

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    If youve the latest app, there will be an icon on the bottom right which is a house with 2 keyholes. Click it
    Firstly you should see all the groups as coloured boxes... I think you can click the coloured box to switch the group on/off...
    But if you click the "lights" icon in the top strip. All your lights will show up in lists, grouped in the groups you've assigned.
    There is an on/off switch at the top of the grouping, opposite the group name where you can switch the whole lot on/off.

Yeah I know about that... it’s just dimming them or turning them up together from the app is what I was looking to do.. I don’t think there is an option for that

My bulb uses its own App during set up to connect to the wi-fi before Alexa can find it, it has an option to group the bulbs and it can dim them or change colours all at the same time for the group.

Might not be in Alexa yet, but that could be a workaround.

Or just use the voice option in the Alexa App to tell the group to dim.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hi guys. I don't know did anyone pick up the lenovo home assistant pack (probably not as it's not very good :pac:). It's set up to use Alexa but I can't for the life of me get it to work with spotify. I have the accounts linked in the Alexa app but when I ask it to play music in spotify Alexa just says it's not supported.

Is this likely just a limitation of the device or am I missing something in terms of set up?

I've tried it with both my amazon accounts by the way, one is a UK account the other is tied to my Irish address.

Does Alexa normally play spotify. I'd assume the Lenovo is just a speaker it sends the sound to.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Does Alexa normally play spotify. I'd assume the Lenovo is just a speaker it sends the sound to.

Far as I know when the tablet is docked with the speaker it's supposed to work similar to an Echo Show. The spotify issue isn't really tied to the speaker I suppose, Alexa won't open spotify on the tablet at all using the Lenovo Alexa app.

Is it possible to set up your TV as UK and music as Ireland? I assume not, but just asking!

Hi again, sorry for asking again but can anyone help on the above?

Right now I have a prime account, UK TV but no music at all - not even the "free" version.....any ideas on how I can get this to work?

Hi again, sorry for asking again but can anyone help on the above?

Right now I have a prime account, UK TV but no music at all - not even the "free" version.....any ideas on how I can get this to work?

I think you can ring customer support and say you are in the UK and they will update it.

• Advertisement

I think you can ring customer support and say you are in the UK and they will update it.

Thanks for the reply. Tried that already but when I log in it asks me for a UK credit card for verification purposes! I have a revolut card but likewise they need ID to confirm the card....and they need UK ID! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks for the reply. Tried that already but when I log in it asks me for a UK credit card for verification purposes! I have a revolut card but likewise they need ID to confirm the card....and they need UK ID! :(

Wouldnt bother, Prime music is very limited.

ED E wrote: »
    Wouldnt bother, Prime music is very limited.

It's not for me, and the person who it is for would appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

For anyone with a mix of units, are the larger multi mic units much better at hearing you over noise? I've heard tech podcasters procclaim they're great at listening over music but my v2 Dots tend to struggle once music/tv is on.

Seems like we are just outta luck here. Hopefully prime ireland gets better, at least the Prime TV is getting more movies and shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

When I used to ask Alexa to play a band on Spotyify it used to play the top 10 songs of the band, but now it always shuffles the songs which is annoying. Is there any way to go back to the old way? I've talked to support about it twice and both times I've been told it has always shuffled the songs on Spotify :confused:
    iamtony wrote: »
    Its always said, shuffling song by whatever band for me. It tends to be top songs that are played first anyway, if I forget about it and come back a few hours later it's playing some obscure song I've never heard so there's definitely a pecking order but definitely always said shuffling songs by whoever.
    That's strange, I can remember once or twice it shuffled but other than that it always played the top 10.
    deadl0ck wrote: »
    That's mad - never even knew it could do top 10 - I've never got that - always shuffles the songs
    Vote on spoify to change this back

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Alexa-Stop-auto-shuffling-songs-when-you-request-an-artist-via/idi-p/4574864

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭finno

I'm having trouble with my Echo Plus (1st Gen)

When i say play Oasis (Or any other band) Alexa just says " I can't find songs
    by Oasis"
    But if i say play music she will say here is a play list you might like and it would start playing.
    Anyone have any ideas why she won't play songs by a artist?
    It only started to happen yesterday.

I have Amazon music unlimited
    Its also the same on the Alexa app.
    thanks

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

finno wrote: »

by Oasis"
    But if i say play music she will say here is a play list you might like and it would start playing.

thanks

We shall give you the common group response as we give across all these forums :)

I would plug it out and back in again and try
    Make sure again that Amazon Music is set up as your default music service in the app

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

finno wrote: »

by Oasis"

thanks
    does she say "in your music library" after I can't find songs by that artist? If so say play oasis on amazon music. That's works with Spotify sometimes when she's being stupid so might work with that aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Pointless is now the highlight of my day

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vocala-co-Pointless/dp/B07JN7SLW5

Advertisement