Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 patmullarkey

My Alexa plays both individual songs of named artists and shuffles the songs of named artists. So I cannot help Finno. I am a subscriber to Spotify but not to Amazon Music.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭finno

We shall give you the common group response as we give across all these forums :)

I would plug it out and back in again and try
    Make sure again that Amazon Music is set up as your default music service in the app

I tried plug it out and in and its the same

My music is set to Amazon music
    iamtony wrote: »
    does she say "in your music library" after I can't find songs by that artist? If so say play oasis on amazon music. That's works with Spotify sometimes when she's being stupid so might work with that aswell.

No she just says "i can't find songs by Oasis" nothing after that.But if i say play music she will
    say "here is a play list you might like" and it will play

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭finno

If i ask her to play Wonderwall she will say "Ok playing Wonderwall by Oasis"
    and it will play.

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Pointless is now the highlight of my day

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vocala-co-Pointless/dp/B07JN7SLW5

Can’t get it working on mine

“You are not eligible to enable this skill due to geographical restrictions.”

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hi again, sorry to ask the same question again but still stuck on this.

I have a 4K firestick and amazon Prime account set to UK/NI with a parcel motel address. That's working fine.

I have a couple of echo dots that I'm trying to set up today for someone else in the house but I can't get them to play music from the Prime catalogue - not the premium/pay monthly service but the basic service with 2 million songs. This isn't for me but it would make my life a lot easier if someone could help me solve it!

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,480 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Anyone else having major issues with Alexa recently? All my devices are only working about 75% of the time. The other 25% is the red ring of no connectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

My dots have been disconnecting. I just need to plug them out and back in again and they reconnect. My big echo seems to be fine though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

antodeco wrote: »
    Anyone else having major issues with Alexa recently? All my devices are only working about 75% of the time. The other 25% is the red ring of no connectivity.

I have one that doesn't reconnect after the Internet is down and I need to do a restart of that device, no idea why it's happening to just one.
    I've been meaning to try a factory reset to see if it solves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭JimFin

I have the same issue of asking for a song/artist and Alexa saying "I cannot find songs by..." I contacted Amazon over a week ago and still no resolution. They have told me that it is a problem on their side for Irish users only. Apparently it is somehow storing some Irish users with an Indian location!!

Last I was told was that the issue was with the their technical team but still no resolution, bad form really, how difficult can it be to resolve a location error :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hi again, sorry to ask the same question again but still stuck on this.

I have a 4K firestick and amazon Prime account set to UK/NI with a parcel motel address. That's working fine.

I have a couple of echo dots that I'm trying to set up today for someone else in the house but I can't get them to play music from the Prime catalogue - not the premium/pay monthly service but the basic service with 2 million songs. This isn't for me but it would make my life a lot easier if someone could help me solve it!

Any ideas?

Can anyone help me with this? Pretty please.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Can anyone help me with this? Pretty please.....

Does it not have to be the premium version?

Im a spotify user myself, but i remember when I first got my echo i tried to set it up with amazon prime music and it would only allow the premium version.
    The reason I remember is; it (premium music serviece) wasn't supported in Ireland at the time, and I remember trying to pay for it and it didnt care about the address you registered, it used your credit card that you tried to pay with to decide if you were UK resident or not.

Now I could be wrong on some of the details, or it could have changed since :) But since you were getting no other replies ....

Final Edit: Ignore all that - I see from here that it should be possible!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/dmusic/promotions/PrimeMusic/?ie=UTF8&ref_=sv_dmusic_2

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

iamtony wrote: »
    I have one that doesn't reconnect after the Internet is down and I need to do a restart of that device, no idea why it's happening to just one.
    I've been meaning to try a factory reset to see if it solves it.

Make sure your router hasn’t reached its maximum number of connected devices. For example the F2000 from eir only allows 16 per channel.
    Also check if your Echos are on a 5G network on your router. They don’t like 5G channels higher than 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭dougm1970

our alexa finding very little on spotify if you ask it...even saying "...on spotify"....yet the spotify app plays the songs through alexa.
    it finds some,
    pink it just wont find, keeps playing pink floyd if you ask it...it will play george ezra on spotify if you ask it...but ask for a specific song it says it cant find it a lot of the time.
    it was ok...but its two weeks since we used it as house has been getting painted and it was unplugged.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

dougm1970 wrote:
    our alexa finding very little on spotify if you ask it...even saying "...on spotify"....yet the spotify app plays the songs through alexa. it finds some, pink it just wont find, keeps playing pink floyd if you ask it...it will play george ezra on spotify if you ask it...but ask for a specific song it says it cant find it a lot of the time. it was ok...but its two weeks since we used it as house has been getting painted and it was unplugged.

Pink spells her name P!nk so that's probably why it won't play her.

My 2 Alexa's are pretty much dead this week. Constant red rings. I've turned everything off and on again and still no joy. Extremely intermittent. Anyone else the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

My 2 Alexa's are pretty much dead this week. Constant red rings. I've turned everything off and on again and still no joy. Extremely intermittent. Anyone else the same?

Any changes happen to your broadband or router lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Two things made a dramatic difference in finding music on Spotify.

First as long sentences really put her off, set Spotify as your default music player. That way you no longer have to ask for x artist on spotify. You just say play x artist.

Open the App, hit the three lines top left and chose settings. Then pick music and hit the select default music button and set it to spotify.

Ask Alexa to learn my voice. She will ask a series of questions and have you say things. But it really helps her understand you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Having the same issue myself...happend last Friday morning and again tonight....turned off and on the power and it was running ok after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

My echo gen 2 regularly wont connect to my hue hub....nothing wrong with controlling the hub via the app so I can only assume its an Amazon server issue. Very frustraying and doesnt give any confidence on relying on it as a primary controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭TomPetty

Hi Folks,
    Have tried to get the answer to this online without success. I am a new owner of Amazon Echo.
    I'm simply wondering if I can make a phone call on my mobile, but instead of hearing the person on the other end via my mobile, I want to be able to hear them via the Amazon Echo device ( And also use the Echo's Mic to talk back )
    The person I am calling does not have any type of Echo device, lets say I'm just calling their mobile or their landline.

Any info appreciated ..

Many thanks,
    Tom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

TomPetty wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    Have tried to get the answer to this online without success. I am a new owner of Amazon Echo.
    I'm simply wondering if I can make a phone call on my mobile, but instead of hearing the person on the other end via my mobile, I want to be able to hear them via the Amazon Echo device ( And also use the Echo's Mic to talk back )
    The person I am calling does not have any type of Echo device, lets say I'm just calling their mobile or their landline.

Any info appreciated ..

Many thanks,
    Tom.

I don't think you can call a phone number.

You can only call other Echo devices or the App. If the person you wanted to call didn't have an echo but had the Alexa app on their phone you could call them that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mondo44

I don't think you can call a phone number.

You can only call other Echo devices or the App. If the person you wanted to call didn't have an echo but had the Alexa app on their phone you could call them that way.

Enable the mast mind skill on your Alexa app.
    The other person need to download the Alexa app

TomPetty wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Any info appreciated ..

Many thanks,
    Tom.

Echo connect would link to your phone line if that's any use to you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Echo-Connect-requires-compatible-Alexa-enabled/dp/B06ZZNWTDC

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

JimFin wrote: »
    I have the same issue of asking for a song/artist and Alexa saying "I cannot find songs by..." I contacted Amazon over a week ago and still no resolution. They have told me that it is a problem on their side for Irish users only. Apparently it is somehow storing some Irish users with an Indian location!!

Last I was told was that the issue was with the their technical team but still no resolution, bad form really, how difficult can it be to resolve a location error :mad::mad:

Anything related to the Hue Irish problem?

Alexa seems to be getting worse and worse at understanding my voice, and I'm not able to get it to learn my voice. Just says that it's not available at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Anything related to the Hue Irish problem?

Alexa seems to be getting worse and worse at understanding my voice, and I'm not able to get it to learn my voice. Just says that it's not available at this time.

i have one separate dot in attic and its terrible at recognizing commands simple attic light on off sometimes is a struggle, its used very rarely and also wonder maybe wifi isn't strong enough there to get updates.

Another issue with Hue setup i cant seem able to say alexa turn room yellow or any color on attic located device while having two in other bedrooms seem to be able to pickup commands for changing light colors, thou for sake of me having still not figured out how to get different scenes to work, if i say alexa set room to tropical or any similar commands it responds with usual hm i dont know that one. Im pretty sure quirk is somewhere in alexa app settings but having tried in the past for some reason it just wont pickup scenes.

having both 2nd and 3rd gen now for a good while have to say 3rd gen was massively improved at voice recognition and all the commands, seems more responsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭paulbok

It would be great if you could enquire on set timers from a different device. Eg Alexa, ask Kitchen Echo how long left on dinner timer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Someone might be able to help with this one.
    My tp link plugs have just stopped working.
    Its saying they are unresponsive in the app and alexa just says its not available.

Any ideas. Ive done everything --reset everything. Disabled the skill,reset the device.
    Heads melted with this one!!

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Its saying they are unresponsive in the app and alexa just says its not available.

Any ideas. Ive done everything --reset everything. Disabled the skill,reset the device.

Can you try pairing them on another Wi-Fi network?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Hellrazer wrote: »

What colour is the wifi led on the plug? Is it stable or flashing? Remember they only connect to the 2.4GHz signal.

• Advertisement

Are you on Virgin Media by any chance?

Advertisement