Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I have a Spot and I hate it. Much prefer my Sonos speakers. Just a pity they don’t have a similar sized one to the spot and dot

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

wally79 wrote: »
    Does asking for newstalk Ireland work?

Thanks that works 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Time in my echo dot was wrong this morning. Said 6.34 when it was in fact 7.04...any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Ive an Echo Show 5 and I have an IP Camera showing my driveway. Is there an easy way to view the camera on the Show. I was trying a skill called Monocle to view the camera, but it was looking for me to run a companion server app on my PC as a gateway between the Show and the IP camera, which is not ideal for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

hi all have an amazon dominated house,since midday, my alexa wont auto drop into other dots/shows instead reams off the list of available. i can still drop in through the echo show by manually pressing. it worked fine this morn. any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭mossie

In the last few days if I tell Alexa to set a Hue light to, say, 50% it says something like "sorry I don't know this" and doesn't change the light setting. It always did this before for me. Has anyone else noticed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭wally79

mossie wrote: »
    In the last few days if I tell Alexa to set a Hue light to, say, 50% it says something like "sorry I don't know this" and doesn't change the light setting. It always did this before for me. Has anyone else noticed this?

Happens every so often. If it’s happening a lot I plug it out and back in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭mossie

wally79 wrote: »
    Happens every so often. If it’s happening a lot I plug it out and back in

Yeah, doesn't seem to work for me but maybe it will come back after a while. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I bought an Echo Spot for the parents a couple of years back which sits in the kitchen and they play music and the radio on. They asked me to get them a Bluetooth compatible speaker to work with it so they can now sit in the garden and listen to music.

I had a look on Amazon and was going to get one of the Anker Soundcore models which I think are compatible, but then I read that some Bluetooth speakers are 2-way. So not only can they listen to the music but if they want to change the radio channel they can say it into the speaker and the channel will change, rather than having to go back into the house again to change it.

I haven't been able to find any speakers which specifically have this feature though. Can anyone recommend one that has this feature, or even what term I should use to find them. I've tried a few searches but can't seem to find any. TIA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

johnnykilo wrote: »
    I bought an Echo Spot for the parents a couple of years back which sits in the kitchen and they play music and the radio on. They asked me to get them a Bluetooth compatible speaker to work with it so they can now sit in the garden and listen to music.

I had a look on Amazon and was going to get one of the Anker Soundcore models which I think are compatible, but then I read that some Bluetooth speakers are 2-way. So not only can they listen to the music but if they want to change the radio channel they can say it into the speaker and the channel will change, rather than having to go back into the house again to change it.

I haven't been able to find any speakers which specifically have this feature though. Can anyone recommend one that has this feature, or even what term I should use to find them. I've tried a few searches but can't seem to find any. TIA!

I think your talking about sonas which is 200 odd quid

Just create a playlist, ask Alexa to play random and buy one of the cheapish Bluetooth battery ones....perfect for job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

johnnykilo wrote: »

I think your talking about sonas which is 200 odd quid

Just create a playlist, ask Alexa to play random and buy one of the cheapish Bluetooth battery ones....perfect for job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭ablelocks

UE Blast speakers have built-in alexa. Might be another option...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭gar

Apparent buffering with TuneIn

Anyone experiencing buffering when playing radio on an Echo. Have only really noticed it on one device (one in kitchen).
    Playing spotify is no issue but radio can just stop for a minute or 2 or completely. Asking to play radio station gets it going again.
    Now only noticed on TodayFM, not been listening to anything else.

This an Echo issue or a TuneIn issue? Nothing to do with bandwidth and its not far from the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

gar wrote: »
    Apparent buffering with TuneIn

Anyone experiencing buffering when playing radio on an Echo. Have only really noticed it on one device (one in kitchen).
    Playing spotify is no issue but radio can just stop for a minute or 2 or completely. Asking to play radio station gets it going again.
    Now only noticed on TodayFM, not been listening to anything else.

This an Echo issue or a TuneIn issue? Nothing to do with bandwidth and its not far from the router.

Yes was listening to Today xm on tunein over the weekend and it would stop and resume later

No WiFi etc issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Yes was listening to Today xm on tunein over the weekend and it would stop and resume later

No WiFi etc issues

Ya happening to me too last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Happening to me also. It started about a month ago, but went back to normal after a week. It has started acting up again in the last couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

It's happening me too. Only for today fm though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

Same problem myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Anyone experiencing this with Deezer/Alexa?

Noticed this happening as last month or so, ask Alexa to play some music via Deezer (say a specific band name) and it will play the first song in full, but the rest seem to get cut off mid way?

I have a premium Deezer account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭gar

Todayfm seems to have settled down again.

• Advertisement

gar wrote: »
    Todayfm seems to have settled down again.

Yeah, no issues yesterday or today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Yeah, no issues yesterday or today

Listening to today xm now and still happening intermittently

Today FM back buffering/stalling every few minutes again

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Today FM back buffering/stalling every few minutes again

It is weird that they haven't resolved the issue yet, especially as their own today fm skill has stopped working altogether

Yeah noticed that too

I've just started playing it through the laptop on their own website player, works fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

When i ask Alexa to play Dublin City FM on the Echo Dot and Fire TV Stick, it says it's unavailable on TuneIN. If i install TuneIn on the stick, i can play it from there manually but i need it on the Dot to work through voice command. Any ideas or other app i could play it through voice command?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

derra wrote: »
    When i ask Alexa to play Dublin City FM on the Echo Dot and Fire TV Stick, it says it's unavailable on TuneIN. If i install TuneIn on the stick, i can play it from there manually but i need it on the Dot to work through voice command. Any ideas or other app i could play it through voice command?

I’m not saying it’ll work but might be worth a try to create a routine like: when I say “play the radio”? Alexa plays...... and specifically the station manually then you can trigger the routine by voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

jarvis wrote: »
    I’m not saying it’ll work but might be worth a try to create a routine like: when I say “play the radio”? Alexa plays...... and specifically the station manually then you can trigger the routine by voice.

Thanks for reply. I tried the routine but didn't work for me and i didn't see the option to select it for the Fire stick, just the Dot and the phone.

I edited my original post and deleted that edit , it did work for a little while on the Dot after i de-registered it and all that, now it's unavailable again through both using voice command.

All other stations are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice and it might be slightly off topic, the 8 year old daughter is going through a worried/overthinking phase where she thinks we're going to die and stuff like that, the usual.

Anyway she's arriving down from her bed every night at around 9:30 or 10 complaining with pains & any other excuse to be left stay up with us, we tried bringing her back up and reading her another story but she arrives down again, it's been going on a few weeks now and it's tough with another two younger kids & we don't want to be fobbing her off & it's also impacting on the little time my wife and I already have together so I thought of putting an echo into her room that would maybe tell her stories or relax her or just occupy her mind before she goes to sleep.

And no I'm not looking for a lazy babysitter before anyone says that, she's tucked in every night at a reasonable time & stories read to her.

So can anyone please recommend any should that you might think would suit and that might help a small bit.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Every child on the country is all out of kilter at the moment so you're not on your own with regards your situation.

I have a 13 year old and shes thinks shes going to die from Covid any minute,she won't even eat Chinese food anymore.

I'd suggest the Echo Dot,there is plenty of Apps to help with falling asleep.
    You can ask to play soothing sounds,rain,wind,running water etc.

https://turbofuture.com/consumer-electronics/10-Worst-Sound-Machine-Sounds-for-Sleep-Deprivation

Advertisement