Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Having a problem setting up a Tekkin smart socket that was on the network before but Ive moved it and its gone offline. Have tried to set it up a few times via the Smart Life app while the light is blinking but the app isnt finding it. It might be that my wifi is on 5Ghz, how do I change it to 2.4Ghz, through the phone or via the routers settings? Also does it matter what Ghz you are on, i.e does it effect internet speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Not sure you're in the right thread, but the issue maybe becasue you have 5ghz Wifi enabled . If your wifi supports both 2.4 and 5 ghz wifi, and is using the same SSID for both, log into your router and disable the 5 ghz wifi, then set up sockets as per usual. After that log back into your router and enable the 5ghz wifi again. Job Done

Thanks, I got it sorted in the end by trying again a few days later. I think the problem wasnt 2.4/5Ghz, it was that like an idiot I forgot to turn the wifi on my phone on when connecting via the app so while the phone had internet via 4G it wasnt connected to the wifi network to recognise the smart socket. Once I copped that it seemed to work straight away.

Looks like they've gone and fucked with TuneIn, keeps prompting me to connect my BBC account. They just can't leave things alone when they work can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I'm new to Alexa/Echo. Setting it up for my eldery mother so she can voice control her phone. It is telling me that in order to call a contact that contact must download and install the Amazon Alexa app onto their phone. Is there any way around this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Afraid this is the only option at the moment.

I know in the UK you can call Vodafone mobile numbers directly ( no need for App )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Alexa/echo down for anybody else?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭vinnielo

Playing fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Can anyone help with set up of Amazon kids? We bought the panda dot in curry’s because of the kids restrictions but now it’s saying I can’t do it because of where I am?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Can someone please attempt to get Echo to play the podcast "First Ring Daily" (a techie podcast) by voice command? For the life of me I cant get this to play AT ALL! Google nest get's it straight away of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Play RTE radio 1 - Sorry having trouble accessing your RTE radio skill right,

If it manages to play it,

Alexa 'Stop' - Sorry having trouble accessing your RTE radio skill right, and it just wont stop unless i unplug it.

It's driving me nuts.

Try the RadioFeeds skill. Enable it at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09RKCN3CN, then "Alexa, ask RadioFeeds to play R.R.1.".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I think the answer is no, but is there any app where I can listen to radio without the ad at the beginning? I'd happily pay €X a year to skip the ad...

RadioFeeds skill as above.

Except everything is down at the moment.

*facepalm*

Wow, excellent.

http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/ is still down. Anyone know offfhand the code for Today FM and Newstalk please?

"alexa, ask RadioFeeds to play T (pause) D (pause) Y"

"Playing music from provider radio 3 is not supported"

Any help?

Really terrible timing but RadioFeeds is down at the moment. I'll look into your problem when it's back up.

But it may be you just need to enable the skill first.

The skill is back up again now. Sorry it took so long.

It's working for me. Like I say, try and enable the skill first: http://lsn.to/alexa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Any word of a smart speaker coming on the market that connects to an android phone to make and receive calls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

When this happens us on RTE Radio 1 I usually say "Alexa play RTE Radio 1 from Tunein" and it works 99% of the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Apparently Alexa is going to get an Irish accent. This may require a software update.

The thing is, s(he) already does a bit of Irish.

Just ask, "Alexa, how do you spell RTE" and you may be surprised at the answer!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6 beerfall

My Echo is up to date with latest software but no Irish accent option is showing and not seeing it on the app either. Location is set to Ireland. Anything else needed?

Looks like it needs to be selected on the Alexa App - under Device>Settings>Language>English (Ireland)

You'll need location to be set to Ireland.

Just changed one of mine, but not at home to check it right now.

Yeah, so the "Irish" accent is a bit meh for me, so neutral that my family have yet to realise it has been changed.

Also, sounds a bit muffled even on my Echo Studio, a bit like she is talking through a sock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 beerfall

Great, thanks a lot, working now!

Very early but yeah not that impressed on first hearing(doesn't sound as good as Siri) but will give it a bit of time to make up my mind

My Echo has been playing up lately, when its playing radio I command to stop but it doesnt do it after 3 or 4 goes so I have to plug it out to stop it. Its also been making random statements when not woken up by me. Have tried re setting it but the problem persists, is there a software update I can try or am I just better off sending it back to Amazon while returns are open

Also how do others find voice reminders? A lot of the time she doesnt seem to pick it up right and then the reminder is something similar but different and sometimes indecipherable . Is there a way to actually record your own voice and have that played back as a reminder instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

i will changing my modem at the weekend, so will have to set everything up again which im not looking forward too.

i have all my smart pugs ,thermostat etc... connected to my Alexa and work them that way, now will i just have to connect new modem to the Alexa and everthing will work as before or will i have to connect every item individually to the modem first for it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭dougm1970

only thing i dont like about echo dots....and they are great wee speakers sound-wise for the size....is that when you have two configured for stereo (which works great with spotify and like) and you connect via bluetooth, only one dot plays sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Was going to buy a kids echo dot for my 9 year old only to discover Amazon wont ship them to Ireland.

If I buy one through ebay will i be able to use one here in Ireland with the kids service?

Advertisement