Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiring for 2 lights and 2 sockets in garage

Options
  • 09-11-2016 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I am planning to insulate the garage wall joining the house at the weekend.

Before I do so I want to put some wiring in place on that wall for a couple of lights and some sockets

I was thinking I could place a single feed to a socket and from that feed to a switch and onto one light fitting ( at one end of the wall ) and do the same at the other end of the wall.

I would have a sparky come and wire the 2 feeds into the fuse board then

Would this be ok or is there a better way of doing it?

Thanks in advance

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi rob.

First of all the REC spark should do all the work.
    He will most likely bring a socket cable 2.5 sq T&E that will be fed from an RCD or better still if you use tools it's own 20 amp RCBO in the consumer unit. He'll take a different cable 1.5sq T&E from the board fed from a 10amp non RCD protected part of the board for the lights.

This is so that if the power trips you'll still have light, important in a dark garage with tools everywhere

I assume he'll use a plastic conduit to come vertically down the wall no horizontal runs. Very important as you'll know that the cables rise up from sockets and switches and not across the wall. This is important in a garage where people lash up bike hooks and shelves etc this is important make sure he only goes North to South with conduit and never east to west unless it's practically beside it. He will know all this anyways

You should get the sparks to do this rob. Under no circumstances go near the board !!

Also get decent sockets for a garage MK or something where the switch is double pole.

I'd advise you let the sparks buy the gear he'll get good stuff for the same price as you'll get poor quality stuff. You don't want to be plugging drills and grinders into a crappy socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

A thing I always recommend to people when I'm doing this type of installation is to put an emergency stop button on the socket circuit via a contactor. In other words if someone has an accident while using a power tool plugged in to a socket instead of trying to get to the socket and unplug the tool they simply have to push the emergency stop button and it kills the power to the sockets. I also done a job a few years ago where I used a lockable stop button so the guy in the house could isolate the supply to the sockets if the kids where using the space as a playroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

thanks lads.

I am in a bit of a rush to do the insulation - so my plan was just to put in the conduit and run the cables in so that I dont have to wait for the sparky ( as I've been putting it off too long ! ) and can get it wired up at a later date

I guess running a conduit down on each end and across the top, and leave holes in the insulation at the tops of the conduit to allow feeding wires down them and not bother doing the wiring bit may be the best solution

is having the conduit run across the top deemed unsafe too ?

by the way - what would a sparky charge for this ?

Advertisement