Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question on Gen1 Leaf and efficiency

• 09-11-2016 9:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭

Question on GEN 1 leaf and efficiency ;
    If you have two Leafs, Gen 1 and Gen 2, both have 12 bars capacity , both have similar SOH from Leafspy, and both have equal mileage on the Odometer. Both batteries are 24kw,
    Assuming no heating on. Which one would go further on a full charge, in other words are the Gen 2 more efficient than Gen 1 ?

Comments

It's highly unlikely the Gen I will have more capacity at the same mileage, I highly doubt it.

Remember a Gen I battery when it reaches 75% capacity can be replaced with a current gen 24 Kwh.

Even with no heating the current gen leaf is more efficient, more efficient motor and a bit lighter, more efficient regen, but you will want heat in winter so the current 2014+ gen is the one to go for.

The 2014 + also has a much better battery and can tolerate a lot of fast charging, the Gen I can suffer 15-20% loss with high number of fast charges by 45,000 "miles" as witnessed in the U.K. The current gen has been seen to hit 100,000 miles and still hold much more charge than the original leaf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

What about the tyres? Same tyres? Same PSI? Same tyre usage factor?

What about car weight? Do both weight the same? Do they?

Too many things to monitor accurately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭oinkely

From personal experience there is very little difference in the summer. We have a gen 1 and a 1.5 at home. In the winter we are looking at consistently 20 km less in the gen 1. That said, both meet our daily driving requirements so both are as good for us.

I'd go for the 2014+ for more efficiency, and much better battery, however, you can get a brand new current 24 Kwh battery for 5,500 installed in the first gen, but it has to reach 75% . So compare this to a first gen price and a current gen price, whatever you can get both for. It could turn out that a 2011-2013 Leaf might actually do you a few years and by then the battery might cost a lot less.

The real question is whether you want max range for winter driving ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭k123456

Thanks Mad Lad is it possible to get 2013 Gen 1.5s or is 2014 the first year they were released

• Advertisement

k123456 wrote: »
    Thanks Mad Lad is it possible to get 2013 Gen 1.5s or is 2014 the first year they were released

Yes , the updated Leaf was released around July 2013 but you will still find Gen 1 leafs registered after this date also.

A few ways to tell the difference,

The Gen 1.5 has a separate heat + AC button on the climate control, the original leaf had AC and Auto only.

The Gen I Leaf only had the bright interior and the gen 1.5 mostly the dark interior but can be ordered with the brighter interior.

To be honest I doubt the price difference would be huge between a late 2013 and a 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I've had the three different models. If you can get the 1.5 then do it. Likewise 30kw, then get it.

Advertisement