Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Moderator from UK

Options
  • 09-11-2016 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

If I was to buy a used moderator from the UK, can it be sent to me by courier or would I need to import it in the same manner as importing a firearm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

tonytoc11 wrote: »
    If I was to buy a used moderator from the UK, can it be sent to me by courier or would I need to import it in the same manner as importing a firearm?

Isn't it the same thing as importing a firearm as far as the law here is concerned.

There nothing to stop someone posting you the mod from the UK and there is no traceability here as to how many mods are in the country because they don't have serial numbers. But I don't think I 'ld chance it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Not sure of it's status in the UK, but Deeks is right. It is a firearm here so you will need to import it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I don't wish to scare anyone but, Section 31 offences against the state act = Jail Time

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭tonytoc11

I have the "S" on my licence for a moderator, so getting stopped isn't an issue. I was trying to see if I could avail of the cheap pound and a better selection available in the UK. But if I need to go the whole process of importing it officially, it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

tonytoc11 wrote: »
    I have the "S" on my licence for a moderator, so getting stopped isn't an issue. I was trying to see if I could avail of the cheap pound and a better selection available in the UK. But if I need to go the whole process of importing it officially, it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

It's very little hassle, filling in a single form and sending to DoJ. Takes at most 30 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

It's very straight forward, I bought 2 moderators from Tannyoky Guns, just will in the application for import, email it off and wait a couple of weeks.

Then your good with everyone, seller, guards etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I don't wish to scare anyone but, Section 31 offences against the state act = Jail Time
    Well more a catch all thats illegal under EU law.Until they can find evidence to charge you under a specific act..

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

If you apply for an import permit it is straightforward but could take a good few weeks to arrive. After you receive the item you could get a visit from the local Gardai to verify its import. I had this after just a tin of pellets!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

denismac wrote: »
    If you apply for an import permit it is straightforward but could take a good few weeks to arrive. After you receive the item you could get a visit from the local Gardai to verify its import. I had this after just a tin of pellets!

sigh......................

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

PSXDupe wrote: »
    It's very straight forward, I bought 2 moderators from Tannyoky Guns, just will in the application for import, email it off and wait a couple of weeks.

Then your good with everyone, seller, guards etc.

Is this form at the local gaurd station? You contact the dealer in the north or uk and email them a copy and then they can ship, is that the process? There's €100 in the difference between a wildcat here and one from the uk

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

fiestaman wrote: »
    Is this form at the local gaurd station?
    You download it. CLick here and scroll down to "Individual import of firearm or ammunition". Then save the form.
    You contact the dealer in the north or uk and email them a copy and then they can ship, is that the process?
    • Contact the RFD in the UK and get his details including dealer number/ID.
    • Download the form, fill in all the details.
    • Post in the form, takes about a week.
    • Receive the import license.
    • You copy it for your own records, then send the original to the dealer in the UK.
    • They ship the Mod to you with the export paperwork (from their end).
    That is a summarised version, but roughly the basics.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement