Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I inform my insurance company about accident I'm not making a claim on?

Options
  • 09-11-2016 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

While stopped at traffic lights this morning another car drove into the back of mine causing some damage to my car. The other driver claimed full responsibility for it and provided their insurance details. As the claim for repairs will be made on their insurance policy should I still inform my insurance company about the accident?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

jimmy1672 wrote: »
    While stopped at traffic lights this morning another car drove into the back of mine causing some damage to my car. The other driver claimed full responsibility for it and provided their insurance details. As the claim for repairs will be made on their insurance policy should I still inform my insurance company about the accident?

Yes.

Although he accepted responsibility at the time of the incident, there is no guarantee he wont change his story.

My missus was involved in a similar incident about 4 weeks ago.

She was stopped at lights at a round about and just as they started moving off a truck pulled into her lane and did about 3 grand worth of damage.

Her insurer got the car collected that evening and we had it back, fully repaired within a week.

They will now pursue the other drivers insurer for recovery of the outlay.

Your case sounds much more straight forward in that you were rear ended but its best practice to advise your insurer of any accidents, regardless of who was to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Yes.

Although he accepted responsibility at the time of the incident, there is no guarantee he wont change his story. SNIP SNIP

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Yes.

1. It is a condition of your motor insurance policy that you report it. The issue of fault is irrelevant to this obligation.

2. You are obliged to report it to your insurer under the RTA 1961.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jimmy1672

Thanks for the responses. I rang my insurance company and they advised to ring the other parties insurance company to inform them of the accident which I did and they are organising for the car to be repaired at a garage.

Should I be able to get a replacement car while mine is being repaired through the other parties insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Thanks for the responses. I rang my insurance company and they advised to ring the other parties insurance company to inform them of the accident which I did and they are organising for the car to be repaired at a garage.

Should I be able to get a replacement car while mine is being repaired through the other parties insurance?

Only they can answer that but I'd expect there shouldn't be any issue with it if their driver has accepted liability.

• Advertisement
Advertisement