Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor's 5 alive Challenge 2017

Options
  • 09-11-2016 11:30am

Hi

Registration is open for this series of events.
    (saw on the Lord Mayor's page on FB)

5 runs, free t shirt, and on completion a reception in the City Hall, also nice medal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

Just registered,

I've missed out over the last two years so looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sporteamon3

Looks like it's sold out already!

My god,

It sells out quicker than most concerts. Lucky I saw the post earlier so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Missed out on this but I really like the idea. Is there anything similar run during he year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Does anyone know if there is a 2018 version?

• Advertisement

Yes, it will be launched next week, they are aiming at people new to running, i.e. more than 30m for a 5k
    there will be a link next Tuesday 14th November at 12.00pm on the Lord Mayor's FB page

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1851153504913692&id=192086314153761
    "The Lord Mayor's 5 Alive Challenge is back for 2018!
    The Challenge is in its 6th year and has encouraged hundreds of people to take up regular exercise over the past 5 years.
    In 2018 we are going back to our roots and are looking for people who are interested in taking up jogging or those who have started and need some encouragement to keep it going. For 2018, we have also introduced Mentors - people who have completed the Challenge in previous years and who will run with slower joggers / walkers and encourage them around the course.

The Challenge is to complete 5 Dublin road races - Tom Brennan Memorial 5k New Year's Day Road Race on 1st January, AXA Raheny 5 on 28th January, BHAA Garda Cross Country 2 Mile / 4 Mile on 3rd February, MSB St. Patrick's Festival 5k Race and Family Fun Run on 18th March and the BHAA Dublin City Council 10k race on 7th April. If for some reason you can't complete one of these races, you can subsitute one parkrun organised by parkrun Ireland.

The link to register your interest to be part of this Challenge will be posted on this facebook page next Tuesday 14th November at 12pm. Priority will be given to first timers and we also ask that people who can complete a 5k in under 30 minutes do not register for the Challenge and leave the spaces for those who need the support.

Is fearr an tsláinte ná na táinte. Your health is your wealth."

Rule as above but if you want to run the 2018 it’s about to open any minute now

• Registered Users Posts: 19 139

Hi

Registration is open for this series of events.
    (saw on the Lord Mayor's page on FB)

5 runs, free t shirt, and on completion a reception in the City Hall, also nice medal

Anyone hear back yet?

139 wrote: »
    Anyone hear back yet?

Nope. I’m after foot surgery over the summer and really could do with the motivation to get back out there. I was about 43 minutes before surgery so I’d guess I’m back up at least 5 ☹️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

I did it a few years ago and from memory you only really get contacted coming up to each race so anyone who was successful should hear from them a week or 2 before the race on NYD.
    T shirt collection was from runlogic in temple bar the year I did it, not sure if it's still the same.

From what I’ve heard emails will be going out next week to those who have been successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 139

Nope. I’m after foot surgery over the summer and really could do with the motivation to get back out there. I was about 43 minutes before surgery so I’d guess I’m back up at least 5 ☹️

Hope the foot is getting better. Maybe apply for races anyway. Gives you a nice road map for.the start of.the year.

Hey I just got the mail to say I’m accepted! How does this work so? Do I go and get my entry sorted for each of the races?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Do only successful applicants get a mail does anyone know.? My wife applied but had heard nothing up until this morning.

I did it last year and we had a mail to tell us when and where to pick up the t-shirts (usually runlogic in town) get in early as people always seem to take a bigger size than they need so you may Bebe left with none.

You then you enter yourself into

1- Tom Brennan 5k New Year’s Day
    2- Rahenny 5 mike
    3- MSB St Patricks 5k

The you are automatically entered into

1- BHAA Garda 2/4 mile cross country
    2- BHAA Council 10k in St Anne’s Park.

One massive piece of advice for anyone taking part, if you feel you won’t make a race for whatever reason, get yourself to your local park run and get a time in. Best bet is to bank one early on, it’s better to have one under your belt than need one with no time left to do it.

I’m sure that in the next couple of weeks you will get further updates. Well done to all who have been successful. I look forwards to meeting you all along the way.

Advertisement