Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballycotton 10 2017

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Got my number today. Pulled my adductor last night. Second year in a row injured in the build up. Next year I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Can't wait, can't wait!

BUT I haven't done a 10-mile race since the Race Series in the park in 2015. I don't know how I'll do or what pace to run at. Fingers crossed it all becomes clear once I start running!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Have a persistent calf strain. Can't do it this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

Hi,

Regading car parks will they be sign posted coming into the village? Will one be directed as one approaches the village as to which car park to go to? Are there shuttle buses running between the car parks. Checked the brochure but did not see specific maps and instructions in it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, just follow the general queue of traffic!

It's walking distance from the car park to the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

i008787 wrote: »
    Hi,

Regading car parks will they be sign posted coming into the village? Will one be directed as one approaches the village as to which car park to go to? Are there shuttle buses running between the car parks. Checked the brochure but did not see specific maps and instructions in it?
    Some of the car parks (The Garryvoe) are a couple of miles out of town, but offer a park and ride system. Just make sure that if you're in one of these car parks you bring all your stuff with you before getting on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

For anyone who hasn't run it before (is there anyone?), the course preview is up on the Running in Cork blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

opus wrote: »
    For anyone who hasn't run it before (is there anyone?), the course preview is up on the Running in Cork blog.

that would be me:D 1st time cant wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Pmaldini wrote: »
    that would be me:D 1st time cant wait....

If traffic jams and tripping over people at the start line is your kind of thing, then it will be an amazing experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Man flu is jeopardising my day, I wasn't planning on racing flat out and seeing as there is no rain forecast I might still go down and run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck to everyone today! Sun's been shining all morning so should be a nice afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I got a tshirt!!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

JohnDozer wrote:
    I got a tshirt!!! :-)

Red or Blue?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Red or Blue?

Blue of course!! I will never own a red one without either chemical assistance or systematic execution of a sizeable portion of Irelands athletic community...

Just having a moment of fun is all :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

JohnDozer wrote:
    Blue of course!! I will never own a red one without either chemical assistance or systematic execution of a sizeable portion of Irelands athletic community...

JohnDozer wrote:
    Just having a moment of fun is all :-D

In years to come, no one will remember there was t shirts given out. If people want to jump to wrong conclusion who are we to correct them? 😉

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

A first-timer who will be much wiser next time. A great race, with its own unique, er, character. Next time, despite being up at stupid o'clock for a 1.30pm start, I won't be tempted to eat twice before racing. Nor will I have forgo my warm up because of anxieties regarding the start and getting stuck at the back of the field. I also won't be over-hydrated because of rugby-related boozing and have to stop for a slash, but that's entirely my own fault. I'll be back though. There's some score-settling to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

Just my take on first Ballycotton 10. Arrived in village in plenty of time. As it was breezy jumped into Hotel to keep warm. With 15mins to go decided to line up. Huge mistake leaving so late. Had to join at the back and push up as far as I could which was not too far. Gun went. Took 2mins 50secs to pass start line. Weaved as well as I could past very slow joggers. Reached 1 mile in 12mins 14secs. Decided to go with flow and not worry; to enjoy the event. After 3 miles it eased abit and could run freely. As it was very warm it was a kind of blessing to have started so slow. Some seemed to be suffering at mile 5. Used water to throw the lot on my head. Kept me cool. Mile 9 was a stinky hill. Net time 85 mins. Under 80 was very possible if I had not made blunder at start. Great crowds. Great support. Finish to water and fruit needs adjusting. T shirt nice surprise. Overall a 9 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭lenihankevin

Great day out...gotta there nice and early...wasn't sure of pace as first 10 miler I've done so started up around the 65 min/70min marker...found it no bother with the crowds as it freed out a lot quicker than I had expected. That last mile is one long mile!! Overall a great experience.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Very interesting indeed. Is it the case that the best runners in the country are no longer running Ballycotton (I see legends like Jerry Kiernan and John Lenihan in that 1987 list), or is it that the overall standard of runner in the country has dropped since then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

worth a discussion in the main forum maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

No question, the standard has dropped drastically. There is no longer the kind of depth there used to be in distance running. Talk to the old-timers in your clubs, they'll tell you how many sub-3 men and women there used to routinely be in Dublin. Granted there's many more marathons around now, and people regularly fly around the globe to do them, but there's no doubt that there just isn't as many 25-35 year olds running as hard and fast as back in the 80s.

Advertisement