Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trumps effect on visas

Options
  • 09-11-2016 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Can he? Will he just decide to change the rules? Change ESTA stuff. Suspend the visa lottery. Abolish H1B visa etc.

At one point he was in favour of getting rid of the J1. (no source)

If he's so stupid to understand what a great program that is, what else does he have no clue of.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I'm not a Trump supporter but one thing i agreed with him on was he promised to fix the broken H1B system. I remember he kept saying that the US was losing so many talented foreign college students because of a 1 in 4 lottery system that was being taken advantage of by large consulting companies. Legal immigration needs to be fixed as badly as illegal immigration and the fact that legal immigration is so difficult to obtain, contributes to why there are so many illegals in the US. 50% of illegals in the US arrived initially on visas and them overstay.

Then again Trump has flip flopped on every issue so he could probably do the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

jme2010 wrote: »
    Can he? Will he just decide to change the rules? Change ESTA stuff.....

People who travel to the US on ESTA are from countries approved under the Visa Waiver Program, these are relatively wealthy countries where the reject rate is very low so their citizens are not required to obtain a visa. They are highly desirable visitors who are welcome in any country - western tourists with money to splash in hotels, bars, restaurants and stores. Making it more difficult for them to enter the country would be economic madness, even for a demagogue like Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

He has announced a new Visa scheme as long as your a qualified block layer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Suspect the Diversity lottery will remain, but perhaps less visas going to places like Afghanistan, Uzbekistan and Iran (which have in recent years each received thousands of green cards), and more towards European places like Ireland and Slovenia which at best, have only received a around a hundred each in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

We must also consider the effect that Trump's proposed deportation policies would have on the undocumented Irish living and working in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I don’t see him doing any substantial immigration reform early in his term. He talked a big game at one point regarding skilled visas but the big tech companies pushed back on him and he changed his tune. Towards the end of the election he repeatedly stated he was going to first secure the boarders, then make illegals leave, and lastly look at immigration reform.

The man’s word is worth nothing so he could do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I think it's important to remember that the President has limited powers. I think his immigration focus will probably be on illegal rather than legal migration

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

DM addict wrote: »
    I think it's important to remember that the President has limited powers. I think his immigration focus will probably be on illegal rather than legal migration

Only if you can ignore the fact that the Republicans have a senate and house majority to go along with the Presidency, which is not a good thing for immigrants, both legal and illegal. They can pretty much do what they want especially if they manage to turn the Supreme Court more conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Only if you can ignore the fact that the Republicans have a senate and house majority to go along with the Presidency, which is not a good thing for immigrants, both legal and illegal. They can pretty much do what they want especially if they manage to turn the Supreme Court more conservative.

I agree it's not a good thing. I think that the GOP doesn't agree with all his stances, and that Dems are going to get good filibustering

Advertisement