Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

ibFoxer wrote: »
    With regard to the Harmony Ultimate, it's doing my nut a little bit here- i cannot get it to switch to the correct HDMI when starting an activity. As far as i can see i have the correct HDMI ports assigned to each activity, input settings are list with up and down keys, inputs are ordered correctly, but every time i hit watch tv it turns everything on outstays on the source it was turned off on. Any ideas?

You may need to add a delay in between turning the TV on and attempting to switch HDMI inputs. Some TVs take a while to "warm up" after switching on before they start responding to remote commands.
    You could test it out by doing what you want the activity to do manually with the remote, see if there is a problem with button presses being recognised when pressed immediately after pressing the power button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi folks,

apologies if this has been asked already. Long term harmony owner. I want to add a smart plug that I can switch on to power up my chromecast ultra, in one of my activities. It seems a little unclear from the internet if thhub supports any smart plugs?

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Thanks has anyone actually a plug working with it? The names listed im not famillar with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I have a TP Link HS110 working with the controller but not by any direct method!

I had to use Home Assistant to broadcast the TP Link plug using an "emulated hue hub" and then let the logitech controller find the hue hub. This means the plug shows up on the controller as a light bulb but works no problem.

If you don't have Home Assistant running all the time (on a raspberry pi or similar) then this is not an option that would work for you -but if you are a Home Assistant user it's a fairly easy addition to your set up.

• Advertisement

I have a TP Link HS110 working with the controller but not by any direct method!

I had to use Home Assistant to broadcast the TP Link plug using an "emulated hue hub" and then let the logitech controller find the hue hub. This means the plug shows up on the controller as a light bulb but works no problem.

If you don't have Home Assistant running all the time (on a raspberry pi or similar) then this is not an option that would work for you -but if you are a Home Assistant user it's a fairly easy addition to your set up.

Pc is always running.. Can you run home assistant on Windows 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

You can - but it's not that well supported on Windows - and it's a fairly steep learning curve for the uninitiated even when running on some sort of linux box - which is the most supported method.

Windows link:
    https://home-assistant.io/docs/installation/windows/

But I'd recommend reading up on it a bit before committing. I'm lead to believe that the new Hass.io ( https://home-assistant.io/ ) is more user friendly than older versions. I'm using Hassbian myself and if you haven't some linux experience you'll have to teach yourself that first!

Not sure what your computing level is - so apologies if I caused any offence!

You can - but it's not that well supported on Windows - and it's a fairly steep learning curve for the uninitiated even when running on some sort of linux box - which is the most supported method.

Windows link:
    https://home-assistant.io/docs/installation/windows/

But I'd recommend reading up on it a bit before committing. I'm lead to believe that the new Hass.io ( https://home-assistant.io/ ) is more user friendly than older versions. I'm using Hassbian myself and if you haven't some linux experience you'll have to teach yourself that first!

Not sure what your computing level is - so apologies if I caused any offence!

I should know a bit.. Work in IT

If I want to start with home automation would something like a raspberry pi be worth getting? Have a Google home mini so be nice to start and then add more to automation as I go..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I should know a bit.. Work in IT

If I want to start with home automation would something like a raspberry pi be worth getting? Have a Google home mini so be nice to start and then add more to automation as I go..

RPi running home assistant would be worth getting. As Metric Tensor says HA on a Win10 machine isn't ideal and better on the RPi or a Linux machine.

I originally starting playing around with HA on a pc dual booting both Win10 and Ubuntu found Ubuntu easy to set up and more stable. Once I was happy with how it worked and what I was doing I recently got a Rpi and set up Hass.io on this and was then a fairly straight forward job to copy the config files from the Ubuntu machine to the Rpi. Easy to hide the RPi out of the way and uses a lot less power if left running.

THE ALM wrote: »
    RPi running home assistant would be worth getting. As Metric Tensor says HA on a Win10 machine isn't ideal and better on the RPi or a Linux machine.

I originally starting playing around with HA on a pc dual booting both Win10 and Ubuntu found Ubuntu easy to set up and more stable. Once I was happy with how it worked and what I was doing I recently got a Rpi and set up Hass.io on this and was then a fairly straight forward job to copy the config files from the Ubuntu machine to the Rpi. Easy to hide the RPi out of the way and uses a lot less power if left running.

Any suggestions for an out of box raspberry to buy maybe with home assistant pre installed? I know half the fun is figuring out the stuff. I'm just lazy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Any suggestions for an out of box raspberry to buy maybe with home assistant pre installed? I know half the fun is figuring out the stuff. I'm just lazy!

Hass.io is it pre installed in an ISO. Just use a utility to make a bootable SD. Pretty simple

a kit like this will have all you need and as High Horse Brigade says it is only a matter of loading the hass.io image onto the sd card and you are good to go. Hass.io will give you the basics and then adding all you kit and automations will be the fun bit, plenty of info and examples on the HA website so worth checking that out.

THE ALM wrote: »
    a kit like this will have all you need and as High Horse Brigade says it is only a matter of loading the hass.io image onto the sd card and you are good to go. Hass.io will give you the basics and then adding all you kit and automations will be the fun bit, plenty of info and examples on the HA website so worth checking that out.

Ordered.... Re terminal onto the pi.. Can I connect remotely or will I need screen and keyboard for initial configuration... I guess I am on the wrong thread for pi questions

Ordered.... Re terminal onto the pi.. Can I connect remotely or will I need screen and keyboard for initial configuration... I guess I am on the wrong thread for pi questions

Can connect remotely once RPi has booted into HA, Will be whatever the local IP is of the Rpi and port no. 8123 e.g. 192.168.1.1:8123

Hi. Folks,
    Trying to connect harmony hub to Google home but Logitech or. Harmony is not appearing in list of supported services under home control? I've set language to US.. Device address is Ireland though? Does that make any difference?
    Thanks,
    Mick

Hi. Folks,
    Trying to connect harmony hub to Google home but Logitech or. Harmony is not appearing in list of supported services under home control? I've set language to US.. Device address is Ireland though? Does that make any difference?
    Thanks,
    Mick

Sorted by asking hey Google link harmony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Bought one of these remotes on eBay last night but didn't read the listing properly and it doesn't come with the hub. Is the hub vital in the operation of the remote? Everything I want to control is in the one room, tv, set top box, Intel Nuc etc. The hubs are pretty expensive on their own so was looking at alternative's like the Xiaomi for example. Do these do the same thing? I'm not bothered about voice control or anything like that.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Bought one of these remotes on eBay last night but didn't read the listing properly and it doesn't come with the hub. Is the hub vital in the operation of the remote? Everything I want to control is in the one room, tv, set top box, Intel Nuc etc. The hubs are pretty expensive on their own so was looking at alternative's like the Xiaomi for example. Do these do the same thing? I'm not bothered about voice control or anything like that.

It's pretty useless without the hub which adds WiFi and Bluetooth

It's pretty useless without the hub which adds WiFi and Bluetooth

I don't need WiFi or Bluetooth at the minute as everything is IR. I can look to add the hub down the road if needs be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i'm pretty sure as long as everything is line of site to the remote you'll be fine. the hub is handy for running ir blasters to anything that is behind doors/in another room, but if you don't need that the software has a setting asking where you want to send the commands from, you;ll just select remote only

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    i'm pretty sure as long as everything is line of site to the remote you'll be fine. the hub is handy for running ir blasters to anything that is behind doors/in another room, but if you don't need that the software has a setting asking where you want to send the commands from, you;ll just select remote only
    i actually think the remote is wifi based... and not infrared at all... the hub sends infrared commands to your devices.. you don't have to hve line of sight at all with the remote.. and the hub seems to be pretty flexible in its positioning.. it blasts a pretty wide angle of infrared

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the ultimate is wifi and IR. it controls my oppo 93 directly from the remote, which the hub cannot see, the details for using the IR on teh remote only are given here:
    https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/control-devices-from-the-harmony-ultimate-remote-and-not-from-the-hub

the lower end remotes don;t have blasters and need the hub (from the link The Harmony Companion and Harmony Smart Control remotes do not have IR emitters and rely on the hub and IR mini blaster(s) for all IR control.)

however, there is a worrying line for aaronm13 in that, it says
    The Harmony remote must still remain within range of the hub, regardless of if all devices are configured to be controlled by the remote.

now, i'm not sure that means if a hub is in place you need to be in range of it, or you need to be in range of one no matter what.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Looks like I might have made a bit of a mistake so. Conflicting opinions on weather it'll work so I guess I see in a few days when it arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I have a Harmony Hub and love it. I use it with a combined saorview and satellite receiver.

Is there a way to tell the Harmony that the box has both inputs. When setting it up I can either set it up as saorview or satellite. I know I can create 2 recipes and go that way. But would prefer to just have one

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already. I am trying to order my favorite channels numerically but I can't. They are in no particular order and its not very helpful. Is there a way of doing this? On the desktop app when I go to select favorite channels, the page gets stuck on a loading screen and ultimately crashes.

Double C wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked and answered already. I am trying to order my favorite channels numerically but I can't. They are in no particular order and its not very helpful. Is there a way of doing this? On the desktop app when I go to select favorite channels, the page gets stuck on a loading screen and ultimately crashes.

You can re-edit the order they appear both through the app and within the remote itself
    Maybe reinstall the desktop version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I've set up over 30 favourite channels through the Harmony Android app but when I go into Alexa and select discover new scenes and devices it finds nothing.

I go back into the Harmony app and select reset favorites and it says no favourite channels have been set up.

So I do it again and it's the same thing over and over again it feels like I'm going round in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

I'm a little confused. I'm putting the tv box and android box and ps4 into a press below a wall mounted tv.

I have a google home mini so I would soon like to link heating and lighting controls.

Would the harmony companion work for this? I wouldn't want to spend more than this.

• Advertisement

I now have 2 harmony ultimate remotes with hubs. One in the sitting room the other in the kitchen. I'd like to swap remotes as the sitting room remote has a slightly sticking menu button which I need to double press often with a Nvidia shield. Can I just pair the remotes with the other hubs? The Logitech guide says only re-pair remotes with their original hub but as they're identical hardware I can't see that being a problem. Has anyone tried this?

Advertisement