Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Got one from Xmas along with two dots. Have one in the cinema room with the harmony controlling the Blu-ray player, lights, Xbox, htpc, sky box, projector, audio processor and power amps. Linked to the echo dot and the voice control has been flawless. Delighted with it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Shane732 wrote: »
    Any good deals on this? Thinking of taking the plunge.

I have Phillips Hue, Sonos, Samsung TV, Virgin Media (****ty Horizon box), Xbox, Apple TV and just got Alexa. Would the Harmony be a runner for all these?

Any deals at present?

I think the Harmony Ultimate was £99 on amazon deals this morning, but looks like it is over now. Keep an eye out for it and the Elite, they are always dropping in price. Use camelcamelcamel for price watch notifications.

And yes, Harmony Hub based products should be able to control all of those devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

bk wrote: »
    Yes, but two things:

1) As I mentioned above it only works for Echo's set to a US account for the moment.
    2) You can't play/pause/change the channel, etc. You can only set it to launch a particular channel on startup, but you can't subsequently change the channel, at least not without creating an activity for each channel, which while possible for one or two channels, definitely wouldn't scale for many channels.

BTW all the above is already possible in UK/Ireland indirectly via Yonomi.

How did you do this via Yonomi be interested to know

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

How did you do this via Yonomi be interested to know

Well first of all to point out that the Harmony Alexa skill has improved greatly, and you now have far greater control over Harmony via Alexa, including play/pause/mute/volume up/down/ change channel, etc.

Yonomi is very simple, just install the app on your iPhone or Android phone and follow the instructions to link it to you Harmony account and Hue account.

Alexa needs to be connected to yonomi inside the Alexa app, more info here:
    https://www.yonomi.co/blog/hey-alexa-meet-yonomi/

bk wrote: »
    Well first of all to point out that the Harmony Alexa skill has improved greatly, and you now have far greater control over Harmony via Alexa, including play/pause/mute/volume up/down/ change channel, etc.

Yonomi is very simple, just install the app on your iPhone or Android phone and follow the instructions to link it to you Harmony account and Hue account.

Alexa needs to be connected to yonomi inside the Alexa app, more info here:
    https://www.yonomi.co/blog/hey-alexa-meet-yonomi/

Hmm...I need to get a Harmony Hub so I can turn even lazier...

Cheer's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Was setting up the favorite channels via the myharmony software for the Eilte remote using Sky Ireland as the service provider however I notice not all channels are correctly reflected.

I know I could manually add channels so I assume a message to Logitech is needed to request them to update the list?

Anyone done that or aware of the process?

Which ones are you seeing as wrong and I'll check?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Was setting up the favorite channels via the myharmony software for the Eilte remote using Sky Ireland as the service provider however I notice not all channels are correctly reflected.

I know I could manually add channels so I assume a message to Logitech is needed to request them to update the list?

Anyone done that or aware of the process?

Just add them and edit the number after. You can Google for the missing picture icons too and add them as well.

mossym wrote: »
    Which ones are you seeing as wrong and I'll check?

101 was showing as RTE and not RTE HD, some other like that also and was missing 135 Channel 4 and some others. Not at the remote currently so that's off the top of my head.

Just add them and edit the number after. You can Google for the missing picture icons too and add them as well.

Yeah I know I can do that but would prefer to see if Logitech can fix. Takes me back to Windows Media Center EPG always being off...and always reporting to Microsoft.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know I can do that but would prefer to see if Logitech can fix. Takes me back to Windows Media Center EPG always being off...and always reporting to Microsoft.

They are forever changing, it's best to just edit yourself a decent set of favorites, that way you'll just have to edit the number of the odd channel when it changes.

101 was showing as RTE and not RTE HD, some other like that also and was missing 135 Channel 4 and some others. Not at the remote currently so that's off the top of my head.

when you chose the channel line up there was a sky hd and sd option, did you pick the right one?

when you chose the channel line up there was a sky hd and sd option, did you pick the right one?

Tried both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

Is it possible to open an app on an android box as part of an activity? For example, if I have Watch a Movie then the android box gets turned on along with tv etc and then the PLEX app is opened. Anyone do anything like this?

Or do the same when a Netflix activity is programmed and obviously Netflix rather than PLEX is opened??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I just got the harmony hub and it works great with Alexa, I can turn on and off my tv etc with my voice. But I have a problem I hope someone can help with: When setting it up, I was asked to choose a channel guide. There were 3 options, one was Saorview, I'm with UPC/Virgin but they were not listed, so I picked another one. The channel numbers are all different to whats on my upc box. I tried to set some favourites but many work incorrectly.

I cannot find how to Edit this and get the correct channels? Does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Anyone setup more than one harmony hub with Alexa / echo/es?
    I know there is a limitation as regards one Echo can control one Hub..... is this a limit per Amazon account or could you have an echo in one room controlling one hub and another in another room controlling another hub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Just one other question - is there anywhere that sells this in a bricks and mortar shop?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Zascar wrote: »
    I just got the harmony hub and it works great with Alexa, I can turn on and off my tv etc with my voice. But I have a problem I hope someone can help with: When setting it up, I was asked to choose a channel guide. There were 3 options, one was Saorview, I'm with UPC/Virgin but they were not listed, so I picked another one. The channel numbers are all different to whats on my upc box. I tried to set some favourites but many work incorrectly.

I cannot find how to Edit this and get the correct channels? Does anyone know?
    I found it eventually, you make the changes in the Desktop app and then Sync.

So ti works great for turning the TV on and off, or changing to Chromecast etc. The main problem I'm having is I can ask it to put on RTE1 or RTE2 and it will change channel no problem, but if I ask for Sky news or BBC News, it will play it on Pandora Radio. Anyone know how I can get around this?

Ok have Hue lights, Netatmo and Echo and was looking at the Harmony. However price putting me off.
    What is the main difference between the Harmony Home Hub and the Elite other than the price difference. Would I be able to get control of TV etc with just the Home Hub and Elite?

Ok have Hue lights, Netatmo and Echo and was looking at the Harmony. However price putting me off.
    What is the main difference between the Harmony Home Hub and the Elite other than the price difference. Would I be able to get control of TV etc with just the Home Hub and Elite?

The elite includes the hub..... personally I don't think the elite is worth the extra, especially if you already have a tablet (or a kindle fire would be cheaper if you really want touchscreen).
    It's personal though some people I'm sure would swear by the elite. I think the screenless remote that comes with the hub (companion remote) is more than enough.

It's the hub that integrates it with Echo but voice control obviously would be slow to navigate menus etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Well I've taken the plunge on this

Nelbert wrote: »
    The elite includes the hub..... personally I don't think the elite is worth the extra, especially if you already have a tablet (or a kindle fire would be cheaper if you really want touchscreen).
    It's personal though some people I'm sure would swear by the elite. I think the screenless remote that comes with the hub (companion remote) is more than enough.

It's the hub that integrates it with Echo but voice control obviously would be slow to navigate menus etc.

as you said it's personal, but having had a number of harmony's and gone down the tablet route and designing my own control interface for it, i think the elite is worth every penny for the following reasons:
    -tablets are fine but the screen locks/turns off, which is a royal pain in the ass when you are fast forwarding through ads, the program starts again and you can't get the screen unlocked and end up rewinding back
    - physical buttons for volume, channel, pause, play, mute are vital in a dark room
    - tablets tend to go missing as people want to use them
    - if it's not a dedicated tablet, kids/those without smart phones are limited in what they can do, if anything
    screen less remote solves a lot of those, but not having programmable buttons severely limits what it can do, having one touch access on the main screen to things buried deep in the menus you use often, like turning on night mode for me, is important. cannot do that with the screen less remote, or if you do, it's very very limited.

the elite is pricey, the lower model is quite a bit cheaper, (the ultra i think) and comes with the same hub. it has the same touchscreen, it has the playback buttons above the screen which i don't like, but that's a minor gripe.

i think it would be far better than a tablet or screenless remote

Zascar wrote: »
    So ti works great for turning the TV on and off, or changing to Chromecast etc. The main problem I'm having is I can ask it to put on RTE1 or RTE2 and it will change channel no problem, but if I ask for Sky news or BBC News, it will play it on Pandora Radio. Anyone know how I can get around this?

You could rename the Sky and BBC favourites to something else that you might remember. Maybe Fox for Sky and Beeb for BBC.

I couldn't agree more with mossym, the Elite is fantastic, I've both the Elite and Ultimate.

Using the smart phone app, is very slow and just a pain in the ass as mossym describes. I'd at the very least get the companion remote.

But the Ultimate and Elite remotes are so good. Remember they come up in Amazon sales every few months. The Ultimate is available regularly for £99 and I got the Elite for £130. Well worth it at those prices.

Those prices include the hub?

For that price I'd agree. I have the companion remote and it does a fine job.

I'm looking at getting a third hub and remote so might keep an eye out for elite & hub at that sort of price.

Nelbert wrote: »
    Those prices include the hub?

For that price I'd agree. I have the companion remote and it does a fine job.

I'm looking at getting a third hub and remote so might keep an eye out for elite & hub at that sort of price.

Yup, they include the hub, of which I've two now!

Set a price watch on camelcamelcamel for them.

Interesting. Are you using both with Alexa, and if so, what's the setup?

Interesting. Are you using both with Alexa, and if so, what's the setup?

Not yet, I'm currently out of the country, so I haven't had the chance to play with this new skill yet.

Missing playing with my new HA tech toys, but the sun and hammock are making up for it :D

ah right, my understanding was you could only link one so was wondering if you had figured out how to use more

ah right, my understanding was you could only link one so was wondering if you had figured out how to use more

One with the harmony skill.... more with yonomi..... I'm thinking of setting my main one up with harmony skill and others with yonomi..... (my echo and second hub is up north with parcel motel at the moment)

• Advertisement

Question re Hue and Harmony remote. Is it possible to set a Harmony activity without a start and an end, Say turn on all lights. I seem to be only able to make an activity that toggles two states, start and end but I just want to start lights.

Advertisement