Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

How well does it replace a fire TV remote ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Stoner wrote: »
    How well does it replace a fire TV remote ?

Very well IME. The Fire TV remote is a Bluetooth remote and the Harmony Hub has bluetooth and uses it to almost exactly copy the functionality.

Obviously you lose the Voice support for the Fire TV remote that include it (not all do).

More details here:

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-amazon-fire-tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

So I got the Harmony working very well with my setup, turns out I missed a trick by not setting up ARC ages ago as changing optical inputs on the soundbar was the sticking point that prevented Harmony from working well previously. Now I've setup ARC, it's just a single input from TV to the soundbar and the Harmony is doing a brilliant job - wife acceptance factor has shot up as we've gone from 4 remotes to 1.

Only button I actually use on the Horizon box that the Harmony doesn't replicate is the Guide button, so you just have to tell people to click Menu and then click Guide. No biggie, but if anyone has that sussed (I tried allocating a custom button to Guide and that didn't work either), let me know. Changing channels, soundbar volume, and the record button and pause/play etc. all work perfectly.

Delighted the Harmony can replace the Amazon Fire remote (I use Kodi so the Amazon voice functions I don't think work in that anyway so I'm not losing much there), nice bonus that and it works perfectly.

This has now prompted me to get an Alexa Dot to play around with voice controlling - I guess you map Alexa to Harmony activities and possibly other commands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

When the Harmony spec says it supports 8 devices... does that mean it takes over 8 remote controls... or it will only function with a total of 8 devices?

Eg. If you have 8 Philips Hue Lightbulbs... Will that count as 8 devices on the Harmony?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Only button I actually use on the Horizon box that the Harmony doesn't replicate is the Guide button, so you just have to tell people to click Menu and then click Guide. No biggie, but if anyone has that sussed (I tried allocating a custom button to Guide and that didn't work either), let me know.

If manually mapping the pre-existing "Guide" option that is created by default in the app does not work, you can "teach" Harmony the button press on the original remote using the desktop software. See this guide - https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/teach-harmony-a-missing-command

I've done it a few times with my Elite, works perfectly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Bluefoam wrote: »
    When the Harmony spec says it supports 8 devices... does that mean it takes over 8 remote controls... or it will only function with a total of 8 devices?

Eg. If you have 8 Philips Hue Lightbulbs... Will that count as 8 devices on the Harmony?

which device? the elite says it controls 15 devices and an unlimited amount of connected/smart devices. the 15 covers things like tv's, sound systems, media streamers, blu ray players etc. the connected devices are things like the hue light so no you can have more than 8

mossym wrote: »
    which device? the elite says it controls 15 devices and an unlimited amount of connected/smart devices. the 15 covers things like tv's, sound systems, media streamers, blu ray players etc. the connected devices are things like the hue light so no you can have more than 8

Thanks, thats exactly what I needed to know... The control I am considering is this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C80JGGO/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I need to figure out if it can work like a pointer, similar to my TV remote... & I'll benefit from the IR connection, coz my Cable box isn't very intelligent. But I also want to keep cost down.

it can't work like a pointer. you'll need the tv remote for that. i'm not aware of any replacement remote that will support the pointer, the pointing capability uses different communication methods depending on the manufacturer.

it can't work like a pointer. you'll need the tv remote for that. i'm not aware of any replacement remote that will support the pointer, the pointing capability uses different communication methods depending on the manufacturer.

TBH, if I get the whole thing set up, I may not have allot of use for the TV menus very often anyway... Thanks for the help.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks, thats exactly what I needed to know... The control I am considering is this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C80JGGO/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

That is the old one, better to get the new updated one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Harmony-Companion-Remote-Control-Black/dp/B014GXQ3S4/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Great deal on the remote, hub and an Echo Dot here:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Harmony-Companion-Remote-Control-Black/dp/B01N6GHEHU/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1
    TBH, if I get the whole thing set up, I may not have allot of use for the TV menus very often anyway... Thanks for the help.

Yes, that is what most people find when they move to Harmony, waving wands around ends up being pointless. To be honest, I wish companies would make TV's that were just monitors, with zero smarts in them. The Smart TV thing is usually very poor.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »

Wow, thats a great deal, thanks. I was planning to go the google route, but I'm gonna place an order for this... Google won't be released outside the states for a while yet anyway...
    I wish companies would make TV's that were just monitors, with zero smarts in them.

This!!!

Wow, thats a great deal, thanks. I was planning to go the google route, but I'm gonna place an order for this... Google won't be released outside the states for a while yet anyway...

Yes and also GHome doesn't officially support Harmony at the moment. You can only indirectly control Harmony via IFTTT and then only turn on/off activity, non of the nicer options Alexa supports (change volume, channel, play/pause, etc.).

Though I do expect this support to come to GHome very soon.

I've both Echo and GHome and no problem using both, maybe a bit extra effort to set both up. If you decide to go GHome in future you can always move the Echo Dot to another room, sell it or gift it.

If you decide to go GHome in future you can always move the Echo Dot to another room, sell it or gift it.

My thoughts exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

If manually mapping the pre-existing "Guide" option that is created by default in the app does not work, you can "teach" Harmony the button press on the original remote using the desktop software. See this guide - https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/teach-harmony-a-missing-command

I've done it a few times with my Elite, works perfectly.

Sweet, will definitely give that a go, my setup would be 100% what I need, and visitor proof (important for babysitting family members to have a smooth TV experience 🙂) if that works

i'm very surprised the inbuilt guide command didn't work. Only thing i can think of is there is a couple of versions of the box with different ir codes for the guide button

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if the Harmony might be a solution for this issue:

I've lost the remote for my (now 20 year old) Stereo system.

On searching the net for a replacement, I found a config file for LIRC (Linux Infrared Remote Control)
    Reading the FAQ, LIRC configuration is way above my level of Linux understanding, but inside the config file are keycodes like these:

AutoPowerOff 0x0000000000003586
    CD-Eject 0x0000000000000D22
    CD-Next 0x0000000000000D9A
    CD-Play 0x0000000000000D32
    CD-Prev 0x0000000000000D1A
    CD-Stop 0x0000000000000DC2

Would anyone know if this can be somehow programmed into the Harmony?

I can source a replacement remote, but prices quoted are like 60 quid, so if the Harmony could do the job, and replace the 4 or 5 other remotes lying around the place, that would be a fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm wondering if the Harmony might be a solution for this issue:

I've lost the remote for my (now 20 year old) Stereo system.

On searching the net for a replacement, I found a config file for LIRC (Linux Infrared Remote Control)
    Reading the FAQ, LIRC configuration is way above my level of Linux understanding, but inside the config file are keycodes like these:

AutoPowerOff 0x0000000000003586
    CD-Eject 0x0000000000000D22
    CD-Next 0x0000000000000D9A
    CD-Play 0x0000000000000D32
    CD-Prev 0x0000000000000D1A
    CD-Stop 0x0000000000000DC2

Would anyone know if this can be somehow programmed into the Harmony?

I can source a replacement remote, but prices quoted are like 60 quid, so if the Harmony could do the job, and replace the 4 or 5 other remotes lying around the place, that would be a fantastic.

Did you check the compatibility list, someone may have done the dirty work for you
    https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility

Did you check the compatibility list, someone may have done the dirty work for you
    https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility

Thank you high horse - it looks like it is supported - who'd have thunk it - a 20 year old stereo!
    Does that mean all the buttons on the original control will be mapped to the Harmony?
    Stupid question, but how do you know which is which?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Thank you high horse - it looks like it is supported - who'd have thunk it - a 20 year old stereo!
    Does that mean all the buttons on the original control will be mapped to the Harmony?
    Stupid question, but how do you know which is which?

The main ones will be mapped directly to a physical button, the rest will work in software on the touchscreen

• Advertisement

Anyone care to give a lazy man's guide to the bamboozling amount of Harmony remotes available please.

As above, my main reason for wanting one is to replace a lost stereo remote, but it'd be handy to hide away the different remotes sitting round the living room, namely: LG smart TV remote, Logitech keyboard for kodi, a wee remote that turns on and off 3 plug sockets (not a name brand smart plug, just a 20 quid set of 3 plugs I picked up, and a bluetooth speaker I have..

I don't see me going full tech - have no desire to go for Echo or Google Home, or Hue or any of the other (heating etc) home automation things ye mad feckers are at :pac: , and voice control is not a feature I see me using:

So I presume any of the Harmonys with a screen would do the job for me, but on a quick perusal there's, amongst several others:

Harmony Ultimate One - £115 currently

Harmony Ultimate - £135 currently

Harmony 2.4 - £110 currently

I presume just set up a camelcamelcamel alert for each of these, and buy whatever drops first, or am I making a schoolboy error here?

if the lg smart remote is a pointer tyoe, where you can move the cursor on screen by pointing, no remote will replace it

if the lg smart remote is a pointer tyoe, where you can move the cursor on screen by pointing, no remote will replace it

Ah no, it's just a regular remote with arrows for navigation through the apps / menus..

I realise I'll probably need to keep the keyboard, with the trackpad, for kodi, but it would be handy to use the remote just for navigating, and only pick up the keyboard to type in searches...

Of the three you list there, I'd get the Harmony Ultimate for 135:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C80JFSS/

In fact I've this one myself! And also an Elite.

Strictly speaking they are all the same and could do the job, but the above linked one also comes with the Harmony Hub, which offers a lot of advantages.

Most important of which is that it acts as an IR blaster. This means you can use the remote without pointing it at the TV, etc. That might not sound much, but once you have used it, you will never want to use old remotes again. It is far more reliable.

Also it allows you the option to hide away your various AV gear in a cupboard or another room if you like.

Also you can use the Harmony app for iPhone or Android if you lose or misplace the remote.

It also makes setting up the remote much easily.

Finally if you later decide to start doing mad stuff like the rest of us, voice control, etc. you will need the hub, you can't do it with the other remotes.

For the sake of 20 it is well worth it for all those reasons IMO.

I realise I'll probably need to keep the keyboard, with the trackpad, for kodi, but it would be handy to use the remote just for navigating, and only pick up the keyboard to type in searches...

BTW If you get the hub, you can also use the keyboard in the Harmony App on iPhone/Android to type searches, etc.

BTW If you get the hub, you can also use the keyboard in the Harmony App on iPhone/Android to type searches, etc.

SOLD!! (well, as soon as the price drops to nearer its previous low of £80 odd)

Thanks bk..

Hope this isn't the start of a slippery slope into the realms of madness :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

SOLD!! (well, as soon as the price drops to nearer its previous low of £80 odd)

Thanks bk..

It's a beautiful ride down the slippery slope...... the real danger is when you pick up an echo..... and then realise you want 5 of them dotted around the house......

Mrs Nelbert tried to change the radio station in my mam's via Alexa earlier...... my folks don't have an echo...... I've moulded her.....

Nelbert wrote: »
    Mrs Nelbert tried to change the radio station in my mam's via Alexa earlier...... my folks don't have an echo...... I've moulded her.....

Well now you will have to get your folks an echo! :P

Do what I did and get the harmony hub+controller bundled with a discounted Echo... That's when I fell off the cliff...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Harmony-Companion-Generation-Smart/dp/B01N6GHEHU/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1484626995&sr=1-7&keywords=harmony+hub

BTW. I was worried about getting the basic control without the touch screen thingy, but It's great. In reality, I just want something that does things simply & it does that... The Harmony arrived last night, so far we are up to 'Alexa, turn on the telly', 'Alexa, turn off the telly'... She turns on the telly, primes the soundbar and opens the HDMI3 source...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

How would you be able to tell if this will work with a particular sat box? Are they pretty standard?

Also one of the early posts in the thread was referring to having all the gear in a study with a hdmi switcher including an Xbox. A few questions about this.

1) my TV only has 2 hdmi ports so that sounds ideal, how does the TV know which one is on though?
    2) does the Xbox work at a distance, either controller and the head set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Guys is there any way of getting Alexa to turn up the volume, mute the TV or change the channel without first saying "ask harmony" or "tell harmony"?
    I have turn on TV and turn off TV working through Yonomi by creating a group in Alexa containing the harmony hub but after that it's just a highly convoluted way if you have to get Alexa to understand" Alexa tell harmony to mute tv" from across the room especially when she also picks up the TV audio and gets totally confused and I get totally frustrated.

Guys is there any way of getting Alexa to turn up the volume, mute the TV or change the channel without first saying "ask harmony" or "tell harmony"?
    I have turn on TV and turn off TV working through Yonomi by creating a group in Alexa containing the harmony hub but after that it's just a highly convoluted way if you have to get Alexa to understand" Alexa tell harmony to mute tv" from across the room especially when she also picks up the TV audio and gets totally confused and I get totally frustrated.

Alexa will do 'turn on' turn off' commands natively... so no need for Yonomi. But as far as I understand, you'll need to add 'ask Harmony' for more complex stuff. By the time I need to do anything more complex, I'm on the couch, controller in hand...

Jayop wrote: »
    1) my TV only has 2 hdmi ports so that sounds ideal, how does the TV know which one is on though?
    2) does the Xbox work at a distance, either controller and the head set.

I've an AV system. It takes in 5 HDMI's and outputs just one HDMI to the TV.

The harmony remote takes care of switching the HDMI input on the AV.

The xbox works fine at my distance, but you would need to test it for your setup.

I've an AV system. It takes in 5 HDMI's and outputs just one HDMI to the TV.

The harmony remote takes care of switching the HDMI input on the AV.

The xbox works fine at my distance, but you would need to test it for your setup.
    What kind of av system or switch would do that?

What kind of av system or switch would do that?

Pretty much all AV systems do that. I've one made by Denon.

If you don't want surround sound, then a HDMI 6x2 matrix will do the job.

Great job, thanks for that and my Amiko mini combo is compatible.
    Pretty much all AV systems do that. I've one made by Denon.

If you don't want surround sound, then a HDMI 6x2 matrix will do the job.

Cool. I don't want to take this thread off topic but I suppose I just wanted ot muse bout what I'd like to do.

This stuff has really caught my attention in the last few weeks. I'm going to redecorate the house this year starting with the living room but I really want to incorporate smart tech into the job. I was going to start this by buying some hue lighting and an echo with the intention of having the lighting there for when I get the room done up.

However maybe getting this and that HDMI matrix would be a better more practical way to start and then when the room is being done I can properly bury the hdmi cable from where I'd hide the stuff from the living room.

I might start a project thread if it wouldn't be frowned upon.

A lot of the current av receivers outside the budget units will have 2 (or even 3 in the high end units) HDMI outputs.

Switch or av receiver, the bit you need to be careful about with more than one output is what the switch allows. Some onky allow the same input on both outputs, some can't show the same input on both outputs at the same time. You may want a matrix switch that allows the full combination but is a bit more expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Anyone using this with Android box? Have a Minix and checked and it's compatible. Currently using Neo A2 lite remote.

Have Samsung, Yamaha amp and speakers,Horizon box and Minix remote along with remote for old Sharp stereo and checking if all compatible.

Also using wireless plugs as modem upstairs and have Philips Hub connected to modem and now not much more space left for another device.

Does hub have to be near remote as uses Bluetooth i believe?

Would performance be affected if just plugged into Ethernet port on wireless plug?

Cheers

Does hub have to be near remote as uses Bluetooth i believe?

Would performance be affected if just plugged into Ethernet port on wireless plug?

It actually uses RF, they say it needs to be in about 30feet or so. They say it is better to plug straight into the router, but lots of people are using wireless AP's without trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

I noticed my Logitech Harmony Activity no longer turns on the telly, it will turn it off, but since I've been away for a few days it will no longer turn it on. Anyone any experience with this?

• Advertisement

It actually uses RF, they say it needs to be in about 30feet or so. They say it is better to plug straight into the router, but lots of people are using wireless AP's without trouble.

Harmony Hub doesn't have an ethernet port, it uses wifi only.

Harmony Hub doesn't have an ethernet port, it uses wifi only.

Sorry, you are right, I was mixing up with the Hue hub! Haven't had my coffee yet!

Perfect if it works from WiFi can plug it in downstairs.

Just now need to find model number of stereo system and then decide if I can afford it

Just now need to find model number of stereo system and then decide if I can afford it

On the afford bit, if you can wait, the prices seem to fluctuate wildly on Amazon..
    I've a camelcamcamel alert set up, and am biding my time..

BTW Even if your device isn't listed in the compatibility database, as long as the device uses IR, you can teach the Harmony remote to use it. It does mean more work, but at least it will work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Sorry lads, few questions from the newbie in the classroom;

Do I need a IR extender from hub in different room to living room for TV where I'll be sitting or does remote have this?

How would it work with hub in office and smart tv in living room?

Does it work well with dreamboxes, Mine is Zgemma star 2S?

I'm building new home at foundation now, not likley to move in for 1.5 years, so might hold off buying until closer as might be newer model on market or price would be cheaper then.

But planning what goes in what room, at the moment I'm thinking to add all devices to office, use hdmi splitter and use cat6 over hdmi to other rooms.
    Its a lot of cat6 cables though.

Opinions and thoughts on how you would do things if you were building a new house and could chase all walls again.

On the afford bit, if you can wait, the prices seem to fluctuate wildly on Amazon..
    I've a camelcamcamel alert set up, and am biding my time..
    It seems to be at the lowest price now for a while but Sterling rate has gone up....Murphys law !!
    May hold off for a bit or see if I can get it in the States as over there soon but USD rate not great either
    Damned if I do, damned if I don't

1) As far as I know the remote to hub comms is done by wifi so that wouldn't be a problem.

2) AFAIK remote comes with a set of IR Blasters

3) Zgemma STAR 2S - All Harmony products can control this device https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility

4) Maybe there will be a new model, but for a year and a half I'd probably just get one now then you'll know exactly how it all works and will give you a better idea of how best to set up your new home.

5 & 6) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I DUNNO LOL.

It seems to be at the lowest price now for a while but Sterling rate has gone up....Murphys law !!
    May hold off for a bit or see if I can get it in the States as over there soon but USD rate not great either
    Damned if I do, damned if I don't

I ordered the Ultimate yesterday from Amazon Warehouse at about £116. I'll post here what kind of condition it's in but from other people's experiences with warehouse it's essentially new quality.

• Advertisement

I ordered the Ultimate yesterday from Amazon Warehouse at about £116. I'll post here what kind of condition it's in but from other people's experiences with warehouse it's essentially new quality.

That's still available I'm very tempted

Advertisement