Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Got that and the dot for £166 which was pretty good I thought. I suppose it all depends on what kind of nick it's in.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Sorry lads, few questions from the newbie in the classroom;

Do I need a IR extender from hub in different room to living room for TV where I'll be sitting or does remote have this?

How would it work with hub in office and smart tv in living room?

The remote has it's own IR blaster, so you can use that. However if you can it is a good idea to run one of the IR blasters from the hub (it comes with two extra) to the living room if you can or alternatively use one of the other methods, such as HDMI over cat6 dongles that also support IR over the same cat6 cable.

The advantage of doing this is that you don't have to carefully point the remote at the TV. You can use the remote pointing in any direction. It sounds like a small thing, but makes life much easier.
    I'm building new home at foundation now, not likley to move in for 1.5 years, so might hold off buying until closer as might be newer model on market or price would be cheaper then.

Could do, I could see them brining out a version of the remote that works over wifi, thus eliminating range issues that some people have.

But planning what goes in what room, at the moment I'm thinking to add all devices to office, use hdmi splitter and use cat6 over hdmi to other rooms.
    Its a lot of cat6 cables though.

Opinions and thoughts on how you would do things if you were building a new house and could chase all walls again.

Yes, it is a good plan and it is what I would do if building myself. Yes lots of cat6 is a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

On the remote how does it work in relation to controlling different devices? I've one remote for Horizon one for TV etc how do you flick between each device?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

On the remote how does it work in relation to controlling different devices? I've one remote for Horizon one for TV etc how do you flick between each device?

No, you create "Activities" that involve multiple devices.

So giving a simple example of your TV and Horizon box, you might create an activity called "Watch Horizon TV" which on selecting it would:

1) Power on your TV
    2) Power on your Horizon Box
    3) Switch your TV to the correct input

Now if you use the channel up/down buttons it does that on the horizon box, while if you use the volume up/down it does that on the TV.

Now lets say you select the activity "Watch DVD" it will:

1) Power off your Horizon Box
    2) Power on your DVD player
    3) Switch your TV to the DVD player output

Etc.

Your harmony remote basically acts as a hybrid of all your remotes. However if need be, you can select the individual device on the harmony remote, but that should be just the odd time if something goes wrong.

Cheers saw the below post over on the hue page by user davo2001

Got a notification from amazon for £10 of any qualifying order of £50 or more for today only. Applies for items dispatched and sold by amazon only.

Use the code "BIGTHANKS" in the gift cards and promotional discounts at checkout.
    The temptation is getting bigger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Feck pity that wasn't there a few days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

If manually mapping the pre-existing "Guide" option that is created by default in the app does not work, you can "teach" Harmony the button press on the original remote using the desktop software. See this guide - https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/teach-harmony-a-missing-command

I've done it a few times with my Elite, works perfectly.

Tried this using the iphone app and the Horizon box remote to teach the hub the Guide button but no joy. Wonder if there's a knack or a step I'm overlooking?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Tried this using the iphone app and the Horizon box remote to teach the hub the Guide button but no joy. Wonder if there's a knack or a step I'm overlooking?

Pretty sure you need to connect it to a computer via USB and use the desktop software (not the mobile app) to teach a new command via an old remote. That's what I did.

If you set up activities for this can you still use the remote or do I have to hide them and does using the remotes in any way mess up the activities as I know the use of the Hub could lead to some discussions in the house..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The remote and activities can exist side by side...

But for example, the companion remote has a number of buttons on my remote that operate activities... as well as the standard function buttons

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    The remote and activities can exist side by side...

But for example, the companion remote has a number of buttons on my remote that operate activities... as well as the standard function buttons

Cheers

What I meant was all the other remotes Horizon box, TV, Android, Blu Ray player etc. If these are used instead of the Harmony Hub remote will this have any effect on activities or anything else?

Cheers

What I meant was all the other remotes Horizon box, TV, Android, Blu Ray player etc. If these are used instead of the Harmony Hub remote will this have any effect on activities or anything else?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Is it one Harmony remote per TV?

Eg can I watch tv in living room then decide to go into conservatory and use it on tv there?

Is it one Harmony remote per TV?

Eg can I watch tv in living room then decide to go into conservatory and use it on tv there?

You will most likely require an IR blaster in each room... There is one with the hub, so in theory, you could mount the hub on your TV stand & route the IR blaster to the second room (if the cable is long enough)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Bluefoam wrote: »
    You will most likely require an IR blaster in each room... There is one with the hub, so in theory, you could mount the hub on your TV stand & route the IR blaster to the second room (if the cable is long enough)...

Yea you can extend these via 3.5mm jack afaik.

Thanks

Cheers

Yes, they can potentially mess things up. For instance, say you start a Horizon activity with the Harmony remote, but then use the TV remote to switch to the Blu Ray blayer, the Harmony remote (and hub) won't know it switched and think it is still on the Horizon box.

Best to remove the batteries * from the old remotes and put them in a cupboard, they aren't needed with the Harmony remote anyway any more. The harmony remote can do everything the old remotes did any way.

* Unused Batteries leak and can damage the remotes.
    Yea you can extend these via 3.5mm jack afaik.

Thanks

Actually the blasters use 2.5mm jacks, which is a bit of a pain, as it is almost impossible to find long 2.5mm cables. So instead you have to use a long 3.5mm cable with 3.5 to 2.5mm converters at both ends.

I've got it working, but I had to buy a few cables and adaptors as some just weren't of a good enough quality and didn't work.

TIP: Test the cables fully before actually burying them in the walls, ducts, etc. I just ran mine through the open doors to test first.

Ok nice gift received of the Harmony Hub Ultimate and trying to get it to synch. What I have is
    •  Samsung smart TV
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Virgin Media Box – Horizon[/font]
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Minix U1[/font]
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Yamaha Amp and Receiver[/font]
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Alexa and Echo[/font]

Got the app updated and also got it working in the skills via Alexa. Got it to have ability to turn on all of the above and also skill to turn on TV + Horizon and start with RTE1HD. Also can turn off  TV and Horizon Box. Had a quick look at the remote and had some favourites saved. However tried to use the remote with the Minix and can turn it on but could not use it to select / launch apps?

So anyone got any tips as have not tried to do the following via Alexa
    •  Change Channels
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Increase / decrease volume[/font]
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Turn on TV and Horizon on other channels ie BBC 1[/font]
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Turn on Minix selecting source HDMI 2[/font]

Anyone got any tips before I start goggling appreciate it. Also need to work on setting up Echo upstairs with skills for tv but if Hub is downstairs would it work or do you need another Hub?

Going to try add more skills over the weekend with Hue lights and with TV hopefully

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

for change channels you need to set up as favourite channels, that's done through the harmony app, not alexa .
    if volume is working with the harmony remote then the alexa app should work,
    you can't really stack commands. so turning on with different channels won't work. you'll need to turn on, then change channel. unless you set up an activity for each channel, almos identical but with an action to change channel in each activity. that would be a pain in the ass. Not sure what you are trying to do here . surely now you turn on your tv, then choose the channel when it is on?
    in the minix activity on the harmony you need to set up hdmi2 input on your tv. to get it controlling the minix box though, is the minix remote bluetooth or it? once you add the minix to teh activity the remote should be configured to control the minix

on the upstairs bit, an echo upstairs will communicate with the harmony hub downstairs no problem and control the tv downstairs. if it is another tv upstairs, unless it can be ip controlled, then it will not work unless you run an IR extender from the hib to the tv upstairs

cheers
    For channels it was having the option of turning on Tv and then using the voice commands via Alexa to turn on BBC1 etc as this can be done rather than using the remote. So if hands full can do it via Voice control but did not try this last night as maybe it works already as I have added favourite channels?
    Need to check if Volume is working via Alexa
    I can turn the Minix on via the Harmony app just need to find out how to use the voice command of turning on Minix and it automatically switches tv on and on the HDMI2 output. Currently using Minix A2 Lite remote (https://www.amazon.com/MINIX-Wireless-Keyboard-Gyroscope-Authorized/dp/B00T5RI6C8) so just need to be able to see if I can synch Harmony remote with this and get rid of minix remote
    Seems it would be easier using normal remote for TV upstairs

for the channel change, set up your channel as favourites.

then it's

alexa tell harmony to turn on tv(or whatever your tv activity is called)
    alexa tell harmony to turn on ITV1

you can't use nested commands, like "alexa tell harmony to turn on tv and switch to Itv1". they need to be separate commands.

• Advertisement

cheers
    With the new Harmony Skill app in Alexa app do you need to say tell harmony or can you say Alexa , turn on the BBC 1 etc?
    Also the skill I have to turn on TV and Horizon Box sets it up to open on RTE1. I will try to see if I can get it to open on other channels so if I want to watch MOTD on BBC1 I can turn it on to that .the lazy so and so I am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I changed my amazon account from UK to US because they had a different logitech skill where for some functions you don't have to say tell harmony.
    So I can arrive home and say Alexa turn on Sky Sports 1 and it turns on my box and my TV and it's on Sky Sports 1.
    I can do this with any channel I have saved as a favourite.
    I can also say Alexa turn off TV or turn on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I changed my amazon account from UK to US because they had a different logitech skill where for some functions you don't have to say tell harmony.
    So I can arrive home and say Alexa turn on Sky Sports 1 and it turns on my box and my TV and it's on Sky Sports 1.

Have you lost anything unique to the UK side after moving to the US ?
    Im currently on UK side of things

I was on the UK and switched to Us so will see what I can set up later as still getting to grips with it
    Need to mess around with it more esp with the Android Box

cheers
    With the new Harmony Skill app in Alexa app do you need to say tell harmony or can you say Alexa , turn on the BBC 1 etc?
    Also the skill I have to turn on TV and Horizon Box sets it up to open on RTE1. I will try to see if I can get it to open on other channels so if I want to watch MOTD on BBC1 I can turn it on to that .the lazy so and so I am

i can't remember if you still need the tell harmony or not, i got in the habit of it so i use it, i can check for you tonight .

it's very simple to get it to open on other channels, you just set up a watch bbc1 activity. the only issue is if you set up an activity for every channel you'll end up with a huge amount of activities!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Have you lost anything unique to the UK side after moving to the US ?
    Im currently on UK side of things
    Nothing that I've noticed yet but you do have to reinstall all your skills so if you have a lot then it might be inconvenient.
    Even the RTE news brief is on the American side now.

Set up favourites in Harmony App and tried to change channels using Alexa but getting nowhere

Also can change TV with harmony remote but I can't increase volume with harmony remote?

Question

Can I connect Tp-Link plug(a tall corner light/lamp) to Harmony elite as an activity etc, ?,I have it already running with Alexa ?
    Do I go down the ITTT route

Set up favourites in Harmony App and tried to change channels using Alexa but getting nowhere

Also can change TV with harmony remote but I can't increase volume with harmony remote?

Just tried a few commands there(using Sky+HD)
    Play/Pause/Stop worked,on/Off is fine,but no reaction to increase volume
    *A google later and found this*
    There seems to be red and blue icon apps or something,just going to read into it now
    https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-amazon-alexa

• Advertisement

are the favourites working with the remote control if you press the icons? if so unpair and repair your hub with alexa, she may need to reimport them.

for the volume, in the activity setup, did you tell it what device you use to control volume?

Advertisement