Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where now for ASTI? ****ASTI Action- Part III - See 1st Post***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Very very disappointed they have not outlined what type of ind action plan we will have in the now UNLIKELY event of it now being rejected
    November was a shambles .
    People will NOT vote for the unknown again
    Maybe head office just want it over and done with too....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Icsics

km79 wrote: »
    Very very disappointed they have not outlined what type of ind action plan we will have in the now UNLIKELY event of it now being rejected

Did the CEC not discuss this & come up with a plan?

Icsics wrote: »
    Did the CEC not discuss this & come up with a plan?

the meeting was today and all ive seen is that CEC recommended a NO
    Not a mention of any kind of plan ???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

In the event of redundancies there will be action. . I think main development is a work to rule. Look I hope for the best. I think the department will get its way on main thrust of JC but a defeat of this ballot would mean we avoid assessment side and have some hope of a future for resistance. I know I have no vote but it's those not on this forum that will decide thisn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

Firstly,yes "they" ie your union, have indeed outlined a plan.

Secondly, your UNLIKELY event is just yourself calamitising! It may be accepted or rejected,basically it is all in the hands of the members, people like YOU.

Thirdly, taking on the establishment is the "unknown" and people may well shy away from that,true

Fourthly,totally wrong on the assumption that head office want this over and done with.

Look, I myself witnessed the last GS publicly go against the wishes of the then CEC and campaign for a yes on signing up to HR. However there is NO trace of that this time around. While Kieran Christie tells it exactly as it is,which is his duty, there is ZERO evidence that he is anything other than fully behind his members. And Ed is vocally and vehemently against this "deal." Or else he's an Oscar worthy actor!

As for this business of "leadership" which you implicitly and another poster explicitly seem to want,I would ask just what exactly do you expect them to do at this point? They have done hours of trying to negotiate with the DES and the TCC has been tried. The reality is that we are up against a Government who are Thatcherite in their contempt for trade unions and anti public sector in their very essence.The reality is also that our fellow second level union left us to fight this alone, as indeed they have done before.In fact we are the last union standing and I, personally, am proud to be a part of that, lonely and all as it may be.

But we are where we are. "Kieran and Ed," to use the same familiar lingo of another poster, have brought matters back to the SC and to the CEC to decide on behalf of the members,which is the democratic process of the union.Would you prefer them to make the decisions for us? Because I wouldn't. They will also be doing the branches from next week where people can access them directly. I don't see what other "leadership" anyone can expect.

And as for the plan you want outlined,that is there too. However,use your common sense for one minute. We are one union,out of several public sector unions and we are taking on the establishment of Ireland, a country with a history of institutional autocracy and I would say, questionable citizen, indeed worker, democracy since the foundation of the State.So it's not like we have a plethora of options. Our options are a]capitulate and do the Government's bidding, b]work to rule with non cooperation with CP hours and JC reform or c]strike action. That's it, three choices,no more. Now the fearful will go with a],the militant with c] and the moderates with b] The overwhelming feedback is that members would prefer to continue with b] which,by all accounts, is pissing the DES off no end. Because 1] there's a union not doing the extra hours and that could get contagious and b] they desperately want the new JC in and while ASTI teachers aren't playing ball, well two thirds of Ireland's kids aren't really doing the new JC, much and all as they like to claim that the horse has bolted. Slow torture and big frustration for the Government / DES.

Finally, a motion to use the nuclear option in the event of redundancies is a very clear PLAN and statement of intent from the ASTI to both members and employer.

After that it's completely in the hands of the members, who are the ones who will democratically make the decision. So rather than being so fatalistic maybe you should convince them that they absolutely must stand tough

Sorry for this long post but while some of you are basically throwing tantrums at your keyboards more of us really are busting a gut here!

Please,please vote NO and continue to defend the education system and the profession of teaching in Ireland!

• Advertisement

acequion wrote: »
    Firstly,yes "they" ie your union, have indeed outlined a plan.

Secondly, your UNLIKELY event is just yourself calamitising! It may be accepted or rejected,basically it is all in the hands of the members, people like YOU.

Thirdly, taking on the establishment is the "unknown" and people may well shy away from that,true

Fourthly,totally wrong on the assumption that head office want this over and done with.

Look, I myself witnessed the last GS publicly go against the wishes of the then CEC and campaign for a yes on signing up to HR. However there is NO trace of that this time around. While Kieran Christie tells it exactly as it is,which is his duty, there is ZERO evidence that he is anything other than fully behind his members. And Ed is vocally and vehemently against this "deal." Or else he's an Oscar worthy actor!

As for this business of "leadership" which you implicitly and another poster explicitly seem to want,I would ask just what exactly do you expect them to do at this point? They have done hours of trying to negotiate with the DES and the TCC has been tried. The reality is that we are up against a Government who are Thatcherite in their contempt for trade unions and anti public sector in their very essence.The reality is also that our fellow second level union left us to fight this alone, as indeed they have done before.In fact we are the last union standing and I, personally, am proud to be a part of that, lonely and all as it may be.

But we are where we are. "Kieran and Ed," to use the same familiar lingo of another poster, have brought matters back to the SC and to the CEC to decide on behalf of the members,which is the democratic process of the union.Would you prefer them to make the decisions for us? Because I wouldn't. They will also be doing the branches from next week where people can access them directly. I don't see what other "leadership" anyone can expect.

And as for the plan you want outlined,that is there too. However,use your common sense for one minute. We are one union,out of several public sector unions and we are taking on the establishment of Ireland, a country with a history of institutional autocracy and I would say, questionable citizen, indeed worker, democracy since the foundation of the State.So it's not like we have a plethora of options. Our options are a]capitulate and do the Government's bidding, b]work to rule with non cooperation with CP hours and JC reform or c]strike action. That's it, three choices,no more. Now the fearful will go with a],the militant with c] and the moderates with b] The overwhelming feedback is that members would prefer to continue with b] which,by all accounts, is pissing the DES off no end. Because 1] there's a union not doing the extra hours and that could get contagious and b] they desperately want the new JC in and while ASTI teachers aren't playing ball, well two thirds of Ireland's kids aren't really doing the new JC, much and all as they like to claim that the horse has bolted. Slow torture and big frustration for the Government / DES.

Finally, a motion to use the nuclear option in the event of redundancies is a very clear PLAN and statement of intent from the ASTI to both members and employer.

After that it's completely in the hands of the members, who are the ones who will democratically make the decision. So rather than being so fatalistic maybe you should convince them that they absolutely must stand tough

Sorry for this long post but while some of you are basically throwing tantrums at your keyboards more of us really are busting a gut here!

Please,please vote NO and continue to defend the education system and the profession of teaching in Ireland!

I will be voting no
    You don't have to worry about me
    It's the vast majority who don't read this forum on a Saturday night or ever that will be swayed . And have been swayed . That's the reality
    There has been no info from the CEC meeting apart from vote NO.
    Thanks . I already was going to .
    But sure most members were unaware there was a meeting anyway.
    They take their info from the indo
    That's why I'm annoyed .
    No update on Asti website Facebook etc
    I'm sure the Sunday Indo will have an update as usual for "our"members

I will be voting no
    It's the vast majority who don't read this forum on a Saturday night or ever that will be swayed . And have been swayed . That's the reality
    That's why I'm annoyed .

Fair enough km,I really hope the asti website get news up there fast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I will be voting no
    That's why I'm annoyed .

Keep in mind a lot of colleagues ask others how they are voting just before puthing the x on the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Icsics

Fightback have a good post on their FB page, it's the sort of info that should be sent to every staffroom. I know I'll be printing it & giving it to everyone in my school. As we all know, if this 'proposal' is accepted we're finished...CP hrs, JCert, school autonomy etc all in. Agree with the other poster passive resistance is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

I hope to vote no but unless their is a clear plan put forward as to what happens in the result of a no vote I will very reluctantly vote yes.

I am really hoping that the CEC decided on a course of action at yesterday's meeting.

• Advertisement

milosh wrote: »
    I hope to vote no but unless their is a clear plan put forward as to what happens in the result of a no vote I will very reluctantly vote yes.

I am really hoping that the CEC decided on a course of action at yesterday's meeting.
    Reading fightbacks latest post this does appear to be the case
    It's SO important the Asti publish this soon on their own website and Facebook page

Lots and lots of people asking/saying exactly what you/me have said

milosh wrote: »

milosh,please don't go voting yes for the wrong reasons. Read fightback's post on facebook and mine here a bit further up on this page.

The plan is clear. Continue working to rule which is effective as it is frustrating the DES no end. No strikes except in the event of redundancies.

If you vote yes it means you now agree to the new JC,you agree to pay disparity, you agree to CP hours and your hands are tied allowing the employer to continue to worsen working conditions as they have done in all previous agreements.

This is a weak Government. Reason will have to prevail eventually and our concerns will have to be addressed, but only if we don't give in.

Vote No!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Give it a few years and we will have 'safe spaces' in the schools.

I would hope that every school is somewhere where every LGBT student feels safe from LGBT bullying, because that what a safe space is.
    I'll always vote no especially to anything FG have their paw prints on, but the only plans we will be getting are lesson plans on how to make every student feel like a precious little snowflake.

Using words like safe space and snowflake in relation to kids in schools? When you're meant to be a teacher? Cop on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I would hope that every school is somewhere where every LGBT student feels safe from LGBT bullying, because that what a safe space is.

Using words like safe space and snowflake in relation to kids in schools? When you're meant to be a teacher? Cop on.

Where did I mention LGBTQ ? Safe spaces have become common in American schools where any deviation from the liberal agenda is considered bad. And I stand by my use of the word snowflake when referring to the current generations we are producing and might I also add the helicopter parenting you have to deal with at pt meeting or when little Mary or johnny suddenly go from top of the class in 6th class to just being average in 1st year. Its a blackboard not a chalkboard and its a rubber, not an eraser.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

That commodity is in scarece supply at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

My staffroom is voting a majority of yes according to talk in it at the moment. As an LPT, this means the chance of getting paid the same for the equal work I do means very little to a number of those who are on a different scale. Im tired of saying goodbye to my lpt friends who are leaving to go abroad. Sick of being bullied by a department who care little about their employees yet set higher and higher expectations every time and im frightened of getting older every year yet not eligible for a mortgage because im not paid properly for the work i do.

Im voting no because I want a future in education for all teachers and a fair work environment that leads to happier teachers and students.

I like many others did the gritty work, got through college, subbed while working more than one job to survive. Got work sometimes, didnt get work othertimes. But held on. we have met all the requirements. Now pay us properly.

Just wanted to add my two cents. I respect everyones opinion to vote but the consequences of a no vote are huge.

elsa21 wrote: »
    My staffroom is voting a majority of yes according to talk in it at the moment. As an LPT, this means the chance of getting paid the same for the equal work I do means very little to a number of those who are on a different scale. Im tired of saying goodbye to my lpt friends who are leaving to go abroad. Sick of being bullied by a department who care little about their employees yet set higher and higher expectations every time and im frightened of getting older every year yet not eligible for a mortgage because im not paid properly for the work i do.

Im voting no because I want a future in education for all teachers and a fair work environment that leads to happier teachers and students.

I like many others did the gritty work, got through college, subbed while working more than one job to survive. Got work sometimes, didnt get work othertimes. But held on. we have met all the requirements. Now pay us properly.

Just wanted to add my two cents. I respect everyones opinion to vote but the consequences of a no vote are huge.

Our staff room voted almost unanimously NO last time
    I talked to a few today who would be clued in
    They are now likely to vote YES
    If the union do not publish exactly what type of industrial action will take place if it's a NO very soon it will be an overwhelming YES
    But maybe that wil suit them

elsa21 it's the consequences of a yes vote that are really huge because yes means yes to pay disparity, yes to the new JC, yes to permanent CP hours and yes to whatever they'll do when our hands are tied as was the case with all previous agreements.

Fair play to you for sticking to your guns and voting no,but I appeal to you to try to convince your collegues that they are wrong. Have you had a staff ASTI meeting? Do you have a good school steward who has given you all the facts?
    Our staff room voted almost unanimously NO last time
    I talked to a few today who would be clued in
    They are now likely to vote YES
    If the union do not publish exactly what type of industrial action will take place if it's a NO very soon it will be an overwhelming YES
    But maybe that wil suit them

This is calamitising,this is utterly false and this is downright annoying,it really is!

All the information that anyone could desire is available. On the ASTI website there is a news bulletin on the decision to take strike action in the event of redundancies. Also downloadable from the website is Nuact which clearly lays out the facts and copies of Nuact are being sent to the schools this week in advance of the ballot.School stewards have been updated on everything, branches are holding meetings,fightback have posted the strategy on their page, CEC members like me have used forums like this and social media to provide information. So what else do members expect??

If people vote yes because they just couldn't be arsed informing themselves that is not the union's fault,it's their own!

And rather than posting doom and gloom on here could you please try to persuade your collegues to vote no! There really is a lot at stake here as I know you are well aware. Like me you hate the thoughts of returning CP hours!

km79 wrote:
    Our staff room voted almost unanimously NO last time I talked to a few today who would be clued in They are now likely to vote YES If the union do not publish exactly what type of industrial action will take place if it's a NO very soon it will be an overwhelming YES But maybe that wil suit them

I genuinely understand that the possibility of pay loss and strike is worrying for people. But dear god give lpt's a chance too. Why do people think its not worth fighting for. The comments are sickening my staffroom. They think the lpt pay issue isnt as important and the jc is lost anyway. I tried to argue my point but i was put down very fast by senior staff members as being too young and naive.

elsa21 it's the consequences of a yes vote that are really huge because yes means yes to pay disparity, yes to the new JC, yes to permanent CP hours and yes to whatever they'll do when our hands are tied as was the case with all previous agreements.

Fair play to you for sticking to your guns and voting no,but I appeal to you to try to convince your collegues that they are wrong. Have you had a staff ASTI meeting? Do you have a good school steward who has given you all the facts?

This is calamitising,this is utterly false and this is downright annoying,it really is!

All the information that anyone could desire is available. On the ASTI website there is a news bulletin on the decision to take strike action in the event of redundancies. Also downloadable from the website is Nuact which clearly lays out the facts and copies of Nuact are being sent to the schools this week in advance of the ballot.School stewards have been updated on everything, branches are holding meetings,fightback have posted the strategy on their page, CEC members like me have used forums like this and social media to provide information. So what else do members expect??

If people vote yes because they just couldn't be arsed informing themselves that is not the union's fault,it's their own!

And rather than posting doom and gloom on here could you please try to persuade your collegues to vote no! There really is a lot at stake here as I know you are well aware. Like me you hate the thoughts of returning CP hours!

I read the nuacht from front to back along with the attached information leaflet

Nowhere does it state what is the PLAN for industrial action is ?
    Fightback not the Asti have posted that their will be a work to rule . Is this official or just their take on it ? What form will this work to rule action take ?
    The pros and cons of voting NO are clearly laid out . The plan for industrial action is NOT.

Is there one ? You can not convince anyone to vote NO unless we know there is a clear plan of action to follow
    November was a shambles and many people will not risk that again.
    I now include myself in that . I want info on a clear plan before I vote

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

has anyone else heard whispers that the DES/SEC have been told that they cannot legally discriminate between pupils who have been taught by teachers in asti and non asti with regards to the 10%? If true and we can hold out til the summer we are away in a hack.

The following are 1] an account of last Saturday's CEC meeting and 2] ten reasons to vote no. I am posting them here in an effort to spread the important information. Please print out no 2 and put on staff noticeboards.

Speeches of courage and fear as CEC decides strategy (14/01/2017)

There's no doubt that the campaign to terrorise and bully ASTI members is having an effect. We heard some very defeatist, fatalistic speeches yesterday. However, these were more than matched by those of us urging members to stay strong and not be bullied into accepting yet another bad deal.

In terms of strategy following rejection of the 'deal', there seemed to be a consensus that industrial action should take the form of a work to rule, that passive resistance (such as non-cooperation with the Croke Park hours and Junior Cycle) had proven more effective than strike action.

CEC also recognised that if any member were threatened with compulsory redundancy as a result of the withdrawal of the Redeployment Scheme, the ASTI would need to be able to respond by taking industrial action. A motion enabling us to ballot for such industrial action was supported by a significant majority of CEC members (not counted).

Standing Committee also brought forward motions it had already passed so that, following rejection, the following industrial action could be maintained/taken:
    * No Croke Park hours
    * No cooperation with Junior Cycle
    * Refusal to cooperate with 'initiatives' (e.g. School Self-Evaluation, Literacy & Numeracy paperwork)
    * Ballot of ASTI principals not to identify any member for redeployment
    * Ballot of members to enable protective industrial action to be taken in the event of a member being threatened with compulsory redundancy as a result of the withdrawal of the Redeployment Scheme (as mentioned above)
    * Industrial action for LPTs

There is still a mandate for withdrawal from S&S. However, it was emphasised that any action must avoid a lockout situation like we saw on 7th November 2016. It was also noted that Standing Committee had voted against all-out strike.

Finally, members also indicated that Standing Committee could develop the strategy further at its meetings next week.

10 reasons to vote No to the ASTI 'Outcome of talks' proposals from the DES

1. This is not a 'final' offer. Further negotiation is possible. A 'final' offer only becomes 'final' if it's accepted.

2. It is open to the ASTI to join the Lansdowne Road Agreement (LRA) at any time. Now is not that time. We are at a crucial stage in a number of campaigns — which we could win if we remain outside LRA for now. (Inside LRA, we cannot even work to rule.)

3. If we hold the line on Junior Cycle till the end of April, the second 'window' for completing the Classroom Based Assessments and Assessment Task will have passed. The Junior Cycle will become a dead letter as regards the classroom-based assessments.

4. The longer we hold out on not doing the Croke Park hours, the more we gain the confidence that we can sustain such industrial action. We also prove beyond doubt that schools can function long term without such unpaid hours.

5. The Junior Cycle and Croke Park hours are two trump cards we hold and should hold on to. While some issues are fundamental, aspects of the Junior Cycle and the Croke Park hours could be used as leverage in negotiations in relation to equal pay for equal work.

6. We retain the power to take industrial action on behalf of Lesser Paid Teachers (LPTs). Itis only because of the threat of industrial action by the ASTI that any money has beenoffered to LPTs to date. The live threat of further industrial action hanging over theGovernment will keep the pressure on for equal pay for equal work — especially in the run up to the talks, expected in April, on a successor to LRA.

7. Even though we have not been paid for Supervision & Substitution to date, we havedone and continue to do the hours. These hours are not lost. We can claim payment for them at a later date under improved proposals that would include LRA acceptance.

8. The current freeze on increments and other FEMPI penalties, and the withdrawal of the Ward Report (2-year CID), can be lifted at a later date under improved proposals that would include LRA acceptance. (This is what happened with the GRA deal.)

9. We have shown great principled solidarity and unity within the ASTI up to now in spite of an unprecedented campaign of bullying and intimidation by the Government and its
    lackeys in the media. It is crucial that we stay united now and face them down.

10. Further lockouts and all-out strike have been ruled out by Standing Committee. While it is important to retain the power to take strike action, work-to-rule industrial action has proven very effective to date and is likely to be the main focus of action post rejection.

acequion wrote:

acequion wrote:

Did you read my post correctly. Im voting no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Please try to stand up for LPTs within your own staffrooms. I'm just in the job and i feel like my employer doesn't give a **** about me, my career, my job prospects or my life. I've already worked a year for free. Enough is enough.

I read the nuacht from front to back along with the attached information leaflet

Nowhere does it state what is the PLAN for industrial action is ?
    Fightback not the Asti have posted that their will be a work to rule . Is this official or just their take on it ? What form will this work to rule action take ?
    The pros and cons of voting NO are clearly laid out . The plan for industrial action is NOT.

Is there one ? You can not convince anyone to vote NO unless we know there is a clear plan of action to follow
    November was a shambles and many people will not risk that again.
    I now include myself in that . I want info on a clear plan before I vote

I've just given you several places to go for the exact information if you're not willing to take fightback's word for it. Remember that two of the fightback group are on the Standing Commitee and several are on the CEC.Why don't you ask your school steward? Why don't you email Ed Byrne? Why don't you go to your branch meeting and ask your questions directly? Just because the clarity you seek is not up on the website doesn't mean that it isn't there!

The plan of action is continuing work to rule in non cooperation with JC and CP hours and initiatives like SSE. Strike action has been ruled out except in the event of redundancies. Now I've just told you where you can get this information confirmed.

acequion wrote:

I find that really insulting. Im not posting doom and gloom. Im actually just giving my personal opinion. And yes i have tried to get my point across to other staff. But as i am one 25 year old qualified 4 years compared to over 65 members of staff, my voice isnt exactly booming over the others.

I posted my reality on this forum because maybe people will see it from my point of view. One of many affected by this and reconsider, not to be subtley chastised and told I should turning opinions in my own staffroom.

Did you read my post correctly. Im voting no

Yes Elsa I did read it correctly and commended you for voting no. I also read your second post and am sickened that you are being patronised by senior staff members. I am a senior staff member and an older teacher.

But did you read my post correctly where I asked about your school steward?

Do continue to stand up to them! It's vitally important to as there is so much at stake.

I find that really insulting. Im not posting doom and gloom. Im actually just giving my personal opinion. And yes i have tried to get my point across to other staff. But as i am one 25 year old qualified 4 years compared to over 65 members of staff, my voice isnt exactly booming over the others.

I posted my reality on this forum because maybe people will see it from my point of view. One of many affected by this and reconsider, not to be subtley chastised and told I should turning opinions in my own staffroom.

My god Elsa,you've misread the post!! I replied to two posts in one so please scroll back up and read it. Please do. I'm completely on your side and thrilled to see a young teacher like yourself supporting the No. The other reply in that post was in response to km79, who I know is a No voter,who is a regular contributor like myself and who I very much respect, but I was giving out to this poster for claiming that there's a lack of information.

Really sorry that you thought I was attacking you, I really am.

I've just given you several places to go for the exact information if you're not willing to take fightback's word for it. Remember that two of the fightback group are on the Standing Commitee and several are on the CEC.Why don't you ask your school steward? Why don't you email Ed Byrne? Why don't you go to your branch meeting and ask your questions directly? Just because the clarity you seek is not up on the website doesn't mean that it isn't there!

The plan of action is continuing work to rule in non cooperation with JC and CP hours and initiatives like SSE. Strike action has been ruled out except in the event of redundancies. Now I've just told you where you can get this information confirmed.

Thanks
    And now I have it I will do my best to spread it when I'm in contact with colleagues BUT my point remains
    Not everyone is on here looking for the info. Or on Facebook looking. That's the majority of our members. They need to be spoonfed the info direct from the unions site or nuacht

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

has anyone else heard whispers that the DES/SEC have been told that they cannot legally discriminate between pupils who have been taught by teachers in asti and non asti with regards to the 10%? If true and we can hold out til the summer we are away in a hack.
    Here's hoping.

It is crazy if it an ASTI pupils ends up with a B from missing an element of the marking scheme, and a TUI pupil next door gets an A for same quality of work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement