Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where now for ASTI? ****ASTI Action- Part III - See 1st Post***

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    The winner ..... can you hear that crowd...

Who says one vote cant make a difference lol. D-Lighted , 64 days til summer!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

TheDriver wrote: »
    confused.......

Don't be. www.rte.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Great news. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Well that was close...

52.5% said no!

I suppose well be balloted again in a few months on the same thing anyway.....

Cue the media will be questioning the validity of such a tight margin..... asti in turmoil they'll say. People leaving in their droves they'll say. Rolleyes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Thanks lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Well done everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

Absolutely thrilled!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Icsics

WoooooHoooooo!!!! 1,000 votes in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

A great day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

The plot thickens.... main talk in my staffroom was about the plan, or lack thereof.

• Advertisement

dory wrote: »
    The plot thickens.... main talk in my staffroom was about the plan, or lack thereof.

The plan was clearly outlined beforehand.
    The document wasn't acceptable, so it wasn't accepted. Again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bean Scoile

The plan as far as I am concerned is to stay out of Croke park hours, stay out of new junior cycle, bide our time and see what the next deal brings.

Until the redundancies start. Then go on strike, reballot and agree to whatever is on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭picturehangup

Yay, though too close for comfort in the event that they will dig up yet another paraphrased version of the same deal, lasting for three weeks in a cave somewhere.
    Delighted we didn't cave in to the bullies in Dail Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Hopefully this will be the final nail in the utter bloody shambles of a new junior cert.

Yay, though too close for comfort in the event that they will dig up yet another paraphrased version of the same deal, lasting for three weeks in a cave somewhere.
    Delighted we didn't cave in to the bullies in Dail Eireann.

i cant see another vote before sept. ball in brutons court, he can dock 10% from 60% of students in this country or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Whatever proposal they bring next time will be accepted. All depends how long they fight for now. The first proposal rejected 80/20, almost nothing changed. Ran again to 52/48.... they offered nothing new and still won 28%....all they need to do is force our union to present us any deal

Up to our leaders to not bring us the same deal a third time

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Whatever proposal they bring next time will be accepted. All depends how long they fight for now. The first proposal rejected 80/20, almost nothing changed. Ran again to 52/48.... they offered nothing new and still won 28%....all they need to do is force our union to present us any deal

Up to our leaders to not bring us the same deal a third time

If this happens all we will have achieved is losing time and money
    The "plan" better be implemented with immediate effect
    This plan has to have a clear outcome .i.e a deal that they union deems acceptable and would recommend acceptance of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Whatever proposal they bring next time will be accepted.

Not necessarily. A lot of the shifting vote here was, I suspect, to do with fear of schools closing and people not being paid. There were the bullying tactics the Dept of Ed relied upon, rather than any sense that they wanted to negotiate or take teachers' views into account on any issue. If they are deprived of the ability to easily close schools and blame the teachers we are potentially in a very different ballgame.

In a statement, Minister for Education Richard Bruton said no further offer will be made to ASTI and "it is regrettable that many ASTI members will now suffer permanent financial losses and loss of other benefits as a result of this choice".

the bullying continues

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

Powerhouse wrote:
    Not necessarily. A lot of the shifting vote here was, I suspect, to do with fear of schools closing and people not being paid. Take those consequences out of the equation and we are potentially in a very different ballgame.

Different game for sure. This vote saves the government money. No increments no s and s money, which we continue to do for free. No €1k. No alleviation of the posts.

Anyway I'm annoyed as will be nearly half the union. It's s house divided.

I don't know what the plan is and I'm not sure anyone does. Anyway the decision is made. Given the result the pressure on the leadership is immense. Nearly half the members against them perhaps and those that rejected may perhaps be disappointed if there isn't some miraculous change.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

the bullying continues

worth every red cent not to have to implement the walking disaster that is the new junior cert, and to have my evenings free from "mindfullness" seminars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mekekka

the bullying continues

No surprise there. Hopefully now though, it will be seen for what it is, teachers standing up for what is right and him/the dept just doing things to try to punish us as opposed to it being for the greater good. I'd also hope at the end of the day the 10% won't be docked, that he will have the sense not to even if it is only not to be seen as the baddie in the eyes of those students' parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Asti just need to wait it out now. No need for major strikes. The road is running out for the agreement and they are still out of it. Can you imagine how crap their negotiating of the next LRA would be if they had caved without getting anything?

Having the ASTI doing no croke park hours is a real thorn in the governments side. The ASTI need to start trumpeting it from the roof tops to the other public service unions and push for their abolishment by ICTU

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Marymidlands

Asti just need to wait it out now. No need for major strikes. The road is running out for the agreement and they are still out of it. Can you imagine how crap their negotiating of the next LRA would be if they had caved without getting anything?

Having the ASTI doing no croke park hours is a real thorn in the governments side. The ASTI need to start trumpeting it from the roof tops to the other public service unions and push for their abolishment by ICTU

Are TUI doing these hours? Schools can't do pt meetings outside school if a mixed Union school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Are TUI doing these hours? Schools can't do pt meetings outside school if a mixed Union school?

There's still provision for 3 PT meetings outside school hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I'm beyond excited at the result but just reinforces my disappointment with my own TUI. Honestly, this would have been so much simpler if both stayed out of LRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0202/849407-asti-ballot-action/
    The Department of Education had threatened to dock 10% of marks for the subject from those students because they were not participating in the new assessment process.

Why are the NPC-PP and parents' associations at individual schools not speaking out about this?

Surely, docking marks from the students of ASTI members while the students of TUI members are not affected would violate the constitutional principle of equality. Punishing those students for something beyond their control would be political suicide.

Hasn't Bruton consulted the Attorney General about his stance on the 10%?

If I remember correctly, Don Myers of the NPC-PP made the bizarre suggestion that the ASTI, instead of having strikes, direct English teachers not to teach the new JC curriculum, even though teachers are legally obliged to teach it. That indicates that the NPC-PP respects teachers' right to take action.

kieran christie did well on 6 one. kept on point when dobbo mentioned any further strikes this year, he said none planned but if one asti member is made redundant then all bets off. also made point about 10% saying that the sec had precedent for adjusting marks , hopefully his baptism by fire last yr in media has hardened his skills

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

km79 wrote:
    If this happens all we will have achieved is losing time and money The "plan" better be implemented with immediate effect This plan has to have a clear outcome .i.e a deal that they union deems acceptable and would recommend acceptance of

That assumes they know what they want. How long do we continue working for nothing in regard to s and s. You'd imagine the militant minded would also want an answer to that.

What solves it in the real world? No some utopia that AAA/PBP and the fightback friends are in.

• Advertisement

feardeas wrote: »
    That assumes they know what they want. How long do we continue working for nothing in regard to s and s. You'd imagine the militant minded would also want an answer to that.

What solves it in the real world? No some utopia that AAA/PBP and the fightback friends are in.

we would still be working for nothing in regard to s&s at least until sept even with a yes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement