Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where now for ASTI? ****ASTI Action- Part III - See 1st Post***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Depends on local arrangements. Our school has always been used for S and S if its tight during those weeks. Where possible we are left free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Depends on local arrangements. Our school has always been used for S and S if its tight during those weeks. Where possible we are left free

It shouldn't depend on local arrangements though. You are free if there is no one taking the class !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

Union said the principal can 100 percent do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

If all your students are gone on school acrivity then you are free for s and s cover yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

If all your students are gone on school acrivity then you are free for s and s cover yes.

I dont think that's the case. Circular 25/2011 says you would be available to cover any teacher who is on the trip, not free for general cover. The school should use a paid substitute for relevant absences or the S&S roster otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

This came up on our school a few yrs ago, when it was checked out we were told you are free and can't be used for general S&S, I didn't think this had changed, it hasn't in my school anyway.

I dont think that's the case. Circular 25/2011 says you would be available to cover any teacher who is on the trip, not free for general cover. The school should use a paid substitute for relevant absences or the S&S roster otherwise.

That's what I thought. But the union rep for my area said different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

CWF wrote: »
    That's what I thought. But the union rep for my area said different.

Reassignment during timetabled hours was part of croke park.

To be fair you're being paid to teach a class at a given time.

You would rather have a colleague work for nothing than to take the class? Makes a laugh of opposition to working for free / less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Do the ASTI have a plan for how they will oppose the plans, they hardy want to try the supervision withdrawl again after the climb down the last time?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pursefan

In relation to supervision when your class is out of the school, I checked in last two weeks with ASTI head office and we do cover only if other teachers are with them. You cannot be put up for general SnS. If your class is in the school but at a talk etc with another teacher, then the school uses SnS rota, not you.

• Advertisement

Pursefan wrote: »
    In relation to supervision when your class is out of the school, I checked in last two weeks with ASTI head office and we do cover only if other teachers are with them. You cannot be put up for general SnS. If your class is in the school but at a talk etc with another teacher, then the school uses SnS rota, not you.

The person I spoke to in head office is wrong so. Hearing very conflicting views here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Icsics

CWF wrote: »
    The person I spoke to in head office is wrong so. Hearing very conflicting views here.

Email KC, he responds quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

To withdraw or not withdraw from S and S-that is the question. To continue doing free work or provoke the Department into Redundancies? If it does happen it will be with notice not like the fiasco in Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Boohoo71

Is it likely that ASTI members will be timetabled for 22 teaching hours , not 21hours 20 minutes after rejection of recent proposals?

Boohoo71 wrote: »
    Is it likely that ASTI members will be timetabled for 22 teaching hours , not 21hours 20 minutes after rejection of recent proposals?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

Yes & the reduction of 40 minutes was set to create 550 extra post-primary teaching positions. The ETBs will reduce their timetables & I assume ASTI members & non-union will have 22 hours.

Obviously this will be an issue, once timetables are completed this June /July they are written in stone for 2017/18. If there is a subsequent agreement during 17/18 it will be difficult, if not impossible, to deliver reduced timetables.

Then there is the case of a second Deputy Principal post in a mixed union school with more than 700 students - can only TUI members apply and be successful?

If so surely this will cause major tension, this will have to be challenged by the ASTI.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

Obviously this will be an issue, once timetables are completed this June /July they are written in stone for 2017/18. If there is a subsequent agreement during 17/18 it will be difficult, if not impossible, to deliver reduced timetables.

Then there is the case of a second Deputy Principal post in a mixed union school with more than 700 students - can only TUI members apply and be successful?

If so surely this will cause major tension, this will have to be challenged by the ASTI.

The second deputy isn't linked to the agreeements & the JMB are keen for them to be be appointed before the summer.
    The 40 min reduction is directly linked to planning for JCreform so if the ASTI are directing to not plan then schools will have to timetable for 22 hours.

Thanks for clarifying that, thought the posts were included. Makes things a bit easier then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Manys the year our genius of a DP has not given us a timetable til August and two years ago we worked a temp timetable til late Sept while he got his act together. If deal done you'll see asti schools with new time tables by midterm in Oct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Thanks for clarifying that, thought the posts were included. Makes things a bit easier then.

The deputy isn't linked to the LRA but I do think the posts will be as they were covered by the LRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

Jamfa wrote: »
    The second deputy isn't linked to the agreeements & the JMB are keen for them to be be appointed before the summer.
    The 40 min reduction is directly linked to planning for JCreform so if the ASTI are directing to not plan then schools will have to timetable for 22 hours.

By any chance do you know if the 320 additional resource teacher posts announced in the same budget are also outsides the clutches of LRA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I know it's been and gone, but this is the difference in the accumulated earnings between the negotiated LRA pay scale and the old pay scale.

IYqUtil.png

The deputy isn't linked to the LRA but I do think the posts will be as they were covered by the LRA.

Just had a look at the ASTI website and the 1000 posts appear to be lost to TUI members. Surely the ASTI can challenge this, a criteria in the selection process being the union you are in. There may be cases where the best candidate, ASTI member, cannot be selected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

gavwaldo wrote: »
    By any chance do you know if the 320 additional resource teacher posts announced in the same budget are also outsides the clutches of LRA?

Yes that's part of new allocation model.

Just had a look at the ASTI website and the 1000 posts appear to be lost to TUI members. Surely the ASTI can challenge this, a criteria in the selection process being the union you are in. There may be cases where the best candidate, ASTI member, cannot be selected.

There's as much a chance of seeing 1000 new jobs as is of seeing that scoliosis theatre in olchc up and running in april

I think a lot of posts here are premature. I doubt government has worked out what will happen yet . In relation to posts -particulary in dual union schools. At the moment they wondering whose move it is. In my view Asti should pull plug on s and s in April. Then see what the government does over redundancies.

We really have to ask ourselves what is our bottom line and how will we achieve this? If you are ruling out all out strike or any strike what is the plan ? Long term work to rule?

I think a lot of posts here are premature. I doubt government has worked out what will happen yet . In relation to posts -particulary in dual union schools. At the moment they wondering whose move it is. In my view Asti should pull plug on s and s in April. Then see what the government does over redundancies.

We really have to ask ourselves what is our bottom line and how will we achieve this? If you are ruling out all out strike or any strike what is the plan ? Long term work to rule?

Equal pay for equal work and the new jc assessed exactly the way the old one was via terminal exam/ terminal project aka externally, with multiple levels and no school cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PureClareGold

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Equal pay for equal work and the new jc assessed exactly the way the old one was via terminal exam/ terminal project aka externally, with multiple levels and no school cert.

Never has been equal for equal work. Two teachers both teaching 22 hours but began 10 years apart have always been on different points of the scale. Do you want a flat rate for all teachers regardless of experience?
    Why don't we go back to the hedge schools? They worked fine too sure. Why bother with school buildings? If it worked well donkey's years ago why bother trying to modernize?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Never has been equal for equal work. Two teachers both teaching 22 hours but began 10 years apart have always been on different points of the scale. Do you want a flat rate for all teachers regardless of experience?
    Why don't we go back to the hedge schools? They worked fine too sure. Why bother with school buildings? If it worked well donkey's years ago why bother trying to modernize?

I think you're showing your youth in many if indeed not all of your posts
    Equal work for equal pay is the union tag line although I do agree it is misleading
    ONE common PAYSCALE is what members want to give equality

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement