Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where now for ASTI? ****ASTI Action- Part III - See 1st Post***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The SEC is a separate employer. I'm pretty sure you can't issue a directive instructing members to not carry out activities that are (a) voluntary and (b) paid for by a different employer to the one you're in dispute with.

Open to correction though, obviously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

The SEC is a separate employer. I'm pretty sure you can't issue a directive instructing members to not carry out activities that are (a) voluntary and (b) paid for by a different employee to the one you're in dispute with.

Open to correction though, obviously.

Sec under dept of education, we get paid by dept of education. Seems no brainer to me.

judeboy101 wrote:
    Sec under dept of education, we get paid by dept of education. Seems no brainer to me.

Still different employment and there isn't a full overlap between the two anyway.

This action would affect teachers who need the money, disproportionately those the action is supposed to be protecting.

Still different employment and there isn't a full overlap between the two anyway.

This action would affect teachers who need the money, disproportionately those the action is supposed to be protecting.

How so? If a teacher is really desperate for money over summer I can think of a lot easier ways to make it than being on all 24/7 for the guts of 4weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Can't believe there has been no update from yesterday's meetings
    Another week passes by ..................
    But sure that's the "plan" isn't it ? Wait and see what the nurses do ....... oh no that was last weeks plan .
    So now it's just wait and see

• Advertisement

judeboy101 wrote:
    How so? If a teacher is really desperate for money over summer I can think of a lot easier ways to make it than being on all 24/7 for the guts of 4weeks.

It's good that you have so many money making options open to you, but obviously the thousands that the SEC employ each year don't or they think that the work is ok.

Either way, it would never work. Teachers would ever adhere to a directive that affects how they spend their summer.

It's good that you have so many money making options open to you, but obviously the thousands that the SEC employ each year don't or they think that the work is ok.

Either way, it would never work. Teachers would ever adhere to a directive that affects how they spend their summer.

I think most do it because of a perverse Stockholm syndrome style pining for school and they have nothing better to do with their time, have you seen the amount of fossils at some of those conferences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Or maybe some teachers are stoney broke and 1/3 of something + expenses beats 1/3 of nothing.

Or maybe some teachers are stoney broke and 1/3 of something + expenses beats 1/3 of nothing.

A couple of weeks as a farm hand or on the building sites cash in hand. For the more delicate, a couple weeks in July hosting foreign kids or babysitting. Or how about 2 grinds a week, Sept to june. Make a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

judeboy101 wrote: »
    A couple of weeks as a farm hand or on the building sites cash in hand. For the more delicate, a couple weeks in July hosting foreign kids or babysitting. Or how about 2 grinds a week, Sept to june. Make a fortune.

I'm from a farming background and have never seen anyone having a farm hand. Most farms keep it in the family. Have friends who are in the building trade and only getting enough to get by. I saw an advert in the paper looking for host families €480 per student - a long way off what you get for SEC work (I know you do nothing for hosting really). Who would you give grinds to? I'm teaching a while and have never heard teachers giving grinds during the summer. So I don't really know where the millions are to be made. Some people are quite happy with the SEC pay and after a few years you realise what they are looking for and the work is easier.

• Advertisement

I think most do it because of a perverse Stockholm syndrome style pining for school and they have nothing better to do with their time, have you seen the amount of fossils at some of those conferences?

Everyone is entitled to spend their time as they wish. You never know those fossils you mention (which I don't think is a nice word to use to describe anyone BTW) may not be on a full pension and may need to pay bills etc.

Same thing as last week, nothing.

Correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭acequion

I'm from a farming background and have never seen anyone having a farm hand. Most farms keep it in the family. Have friends who are in the building trade and only getting enough to get by. I saw an advert in the paper looking for host families €480 per student - a long way off what you get for SEC work (I know you do nothing for hosting really). Who would you give grinds to? I'm teaching a while and have never heard teachers giving grinds during the summer. So I don't really know where the millions are to be made. Some people are quite happy with the SEC pay and after a few years you realise what they are looking for and the work is easier.

What I like about it is that you can work from home. So no getting stuck in traffic,no putting on the face. Track suit bottoms or shorts do nicely and lots of coffee.:) I've always found it pretty ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

This thread side tracked. People figure out the best ways they can to make money depending on circumstances. Not all subjects are grind friendly and some of us are at an advanced age . We could not do physical labor!

http://ie.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=Farm

This thread side tracked. People figure out the best ways they can to make money depending on circumstances. Not all subjects are grind friendly and some of us are at an advanced age . We could not do physical labor!

Correct !
    The thread title is "where now for the Asti "
    I'm still waiting for an answer !
    Why has there been no official update from the SC meeting Friday ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Or accept the LRA and get paid for s&s, get increments, €1000 on the pays ale from next month, worth about 2.5k a year before tax.

If you cut off the ability to make a bit with exams you'll be pushing it.

Barking up wrong tree here folks . A ban on work for sec would never float as it would be ignored. I don't think SC thinking that way either from what I gather. It's strike action

Barking up wrong tree here folks . A ban on work for sec would never float as it would be ignored. I don't think SC thinking that way either from what I gather. It's strike action

When will the rest of us minions find out what our union are planning?
    Information vacuum since the ballot results a month ago

km79 wrote: »
    When will the rest of us minions find out what our union are planning?
    Information vacuum since the ballot results a month ago

I know about three SC members but to be fair anybody can ring up headquarters and ask for the number of their SC rep. The rep has an Asti phone. Ring them. You have the power ! They will call you back.

• Advertisement

I know about three SC members but to be fair anybody can ring up headquarters and ask for the number of their SC rep. The rep has an Asti phone. Ring them. You have the power ! They will call you back.

That's all very well BUT the entire membership needs to be made aware via HEad Office /website of the strategy if there now is one.
    It's not good enough

I'd be up for tues/wed/thurs strikes get paid for 4day week and summer.

acequion wrote: »
    What I like about it is that you can work from home. So no getting stuck in traffic,no putting on the face. Track suit bottoms or shorts do nicely and lots of coffee.:) I've always found it pretty ok.

Exactly and because I choose to do it - it's not that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

That's all very well BUT the entire membership needs to be made aware via HEad Office /website of the strategy if there now is one.
    It's not good enough

As far as I can gather from my SC rep, the plan is to continue not doing CP hrs & non co-op with JC. But people are getting annoyed & Eng teachers at our branch meeting were very annoyed that we were directed not to attend inservice & now in the last term we're to do the AT. So the SEC (&DES) have figured out a way around the ASTI action, they can do this for every subject as it comes up.

Icsics wrote: »
    As far as I can gather from my SC rep, the plan is to continue not doing CP hrs & non co-op with JC. But people are getting annoyed & Eng teachers at our branch meeting were very annoyed that we were directed not to attend inservice & now in the last term we're to do the AT. So the SEC (&DES) have figured out a way around the ASTI action, they can do this for every subject as it comes up.
    And continue with free s and s . So same as last week NO PLAN
    Fair play to Bruton he has outmaneuvered the Asti at every stage
    Didn't think he had it in him

Any chance we can hire Brendan ogle to run the campaign?

Or accept the LRA and get paid for s&s, get increments, €1000 on the pays ale from next month, worth about 2.5k a year before tax.

If you cut off the ability to make a bit with exams you'll be pushing it.

Let's not re open that whole debate! I wish to God you guys had only stuck with us. If both unions had rejected LRA and JCT just look at how much stronger we'd be! Lunacy in this anti public service era to have two second level teacher unions!

km do you never say to your pupils, "Enough complaining,give me an alternative"
    Well that's I'm putting to you. What exactly do you think we should do? What is your preferred plan and have you communicated this to the union?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Let's not re open that whole debate! I wish to God you guys had only stuck with us. If both unions had rejected LRA and JCT just look at how much stronger we'd be! Lunacy in this anti public service era to have two second level teacher unions![/quote.]
    We met a fork in the road. Asti took one direction, and TUI the other. No one left the other

• Advertisement

Let's not re open that whole debate! I wish to God you guys had only stuck with us. If both unions had rejected LRA and JCT just look at how much stronger we'd be! Lunacy in this anti public service era to have two second level teacher unions![/quote.]
    We met a fork in the road. Asti took one direction, and TUI the other. No one left the other

You mean "threatened with a pitch fork on the road"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement