Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where now for ASTI? ****ASTI Action- Part III - See 1st Post***

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Was their defection declared at the ratification meeting though? I think it would appear that the rep ratified them whilst knowingly concealing their defection (if I remember the posts correctly).

One assumes a branch would have access to their application form else how would they know what their name or school or area was? If only receiving name from tui office then tui central are withholding previous union affiliation and that's even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

judeboy101 wrote: »
    One assumes a branch would have access to their application form else how would they know what their name or school or area was? If only receiving name from tui office then tui central are withholding previous union affiliation and that's even worse.

A copy of the application form is sent to the branch. If the applicant has declared their former Asti membership then it should be seen.

A copy of the application form is sent to the branch. If the applicant has declared their former Asti membership then it should be seen.

Figured as much. I think the TUI are happy to turn a blind eye to such defections. 30 pieces of silver springs to mind. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Figured as much. I think the TUI are happy to turn a blind eye to such defections. 30 pieces of silver springs to mind. ��

Our branch has rejected such applications. The problem in many cases is that some applicants don't declare their former membership, and unless someone present at a branch meeting can say otherwise, then they are accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Our branch has rejected such applications. The problem in many cases is that some applicants don't declare their former membership, and unless someone present at a branch meeting can say otherwise, then they are accepted.

Insisting the case we are talking about it think I'd be right in assuming that the rep kept schtum at the branch meeting.

Would all present have agreed the membership if the proposer had declared asti membership was just terminated.

• Advertisement

Insisting the case we are talking about it think I'd be right in assuming that the rep kept schtum at the branch meeting.

Would all present have agreed the membership if the proposer had declared asti membership was just terminated.

Depends on attitude to asti by those in attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Depends on attitude to asti by those in attendance.

If the DES are accepting non union teachers into the LRA as someone here suggested why would anyone need to join TUI?

Just leave, get your money, save the sub?

If the DES are accepting non union teachers into the LRA as someone here suggested why would anyone need to join TUI?

Just leave, get your money, save the sub?

"A house divided against itself cannot stand"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

I have heard Dept plans to allow individual teachers into LR- not confirmed

I have heard Dept plans to allow individual teachers into LR- not confirmed

I hope they do. I like the idea that I can negotiate directly with the government maybe get one friend in every school of the country to follow my lead, set myself up as union kingpin

• Advertisement

Lads, we couldn't organise an orgy in a convent. Bus Eireann workers gave 3 hrs notice and downed tools across the country, now that's what you call a union. We have to give 3 years notice to the pope and the UN security council, before we can have a lunchtime protest ffs

I think Bus eireannunion gave notice and then decided to use it-I would assume

I think Bus eireannunion gave notice and then decided to use it-I would assume

they served notice weeks ago then suspended action pending talks, then gave 3 hrs notice of all out strike.

they served notice weeks ago then suspended action pending talks, then gave 3 hrs notice of all out strike.

I know your point but look the ASTI is what it is. We did get significant change on JC . We got a better deal ,as did TUI, on new entrants.

We are only union standing. Challenge Sitting SC reps if unhappy. All you need is 50 signatures to run.

Lets see what happens Sat week. Has there been definitive confirmation that a re-ballot motion is going before CEC?

I know your point but look the ASTI is what it is. We did get significant change on JC . We got a better deal ,as did TUI, on new entrants.

We are only union standing. Challenge Sitting SC reps if unhappy. All you need is 50 signatures to run.

Lets see what happens Sat week. Has there been definitive confirmation that a re-ballot motion is going before CEC?

I think that branch forcing the cec to meet story is bull, cant find any procedure where a single branch can pull cec in on a sat. My take is someone on cec will propose and be seconded to put a new dbl ballot to members, one on jc one on lra. It will be accepted knowing that lra will pass and jc wont. Cp hrs and s&s back to norm and fudge on jc .

I think Sc voted to call CEC. Can you separate JC from LR??

As I said... the department's objective is to drive the stake into the ASTI.

How do they do that?

Ensure ASTI don't get into LR and a seat at the table to negotiate LR2. This will split ASTI members further, no matter if they're in or out.

JC is going ahead regardless.

ASTI still doing S&S for free BTW... plus increments are frozen... plus CID's kicked forward a few years .... plus saving money on inservices which were due...
    Saving a fortune....
    Either way the Dept. mandarins win.(forget about what a 'minister' wants... this game has been planned for years since RQ and JOS... they've come and gone.. the job is a retirement post for any minister)

I think Sc voted to call CEC. Can you separate JC from LR??

We can vote on anything we want, but unless gov get lra (which for teachers means JC) they wont care

As I said... the department's objective is to drive the stake into the ASTI.

How do they do that?

Ensure ASTI don't get into LR and a seat at the table to negotiate LR2. This will split ASTI members further, no matter if they're in or out.

JC is going ahead regardless.

ASTI still doing S&S for free BTW... plus increments are frozen... plus CID's kicked forward a few years .... plus saving money on inservices which were due...
    Saving a fortune....
    Either way the Dept. mandarins win.(forget about what a 'minister' wants... this game has been planned for years since RQ and JOS... they've come and gone.. the job is a retirement post for any minister)

I agree the dept don't want us in but I believe, and I've said it a few times, that the des really want to punish the asti. Whatever we did to them yrs ago they are making us pay for it now.

I agree the dept don't want us in but I believe, and I've said it a few times, that the des really want to punish the asti. Whatever we did to them yrs ago they are making us pay for it now.

Really though they don't have to do much to punish ASTI.
    Do nothing... ASTI stays out.. dept wins.
    Get a reballot... ASTI STAYS out ...dept wins.
    Get a reballot .... ASTI votes in.... humble pie... dept wins.

Dept. now know the way the ASTI will play out in the future.

Ironically the TUI appear more United than the ASTI.

Sad there's no solidarity across the profession.

Bus drivers risking the collapse of the company to take a stand.
    Rail workers in some areas wouldn't dream of crossing a picket for their bus driver colleagues.

Not going to happen with ASTI TUI INTO playing 'hands off' with each other. So it's divide and conquer for the Dept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I'm not ASTI so probably shouldn't stick my oar in but I don't understand keeping the status quo of unpaid S&S. During strike time, the argument was that not enough notice was given to sort out getting substitute supervisors.

Surely they should have said, ok, from 1st January we are withdrawing, or 1st Feb etc.

I'm not ASTI so probably shouldn't stick my oar in but I don't understand keeping the status quo of unpaid S&S. During strike time, the argument was that not enough notice was given to sort out getting substitute supervisors.

Surely they should have said, ok, from 1st January we are withdrawing, or 1st Feb etc.

English teachers will facilitate the CBA.
    Doing S&S unpaid

Only thing not going on is CP hours.

There must be a break even point somewhere.

Because that would only work just before and after Easter. Any other time of year gov don't give a **** and they know we wont last a day. But starting with orals it affects their voters directly and pressure would be immense.

A lot of hyperbole on here. The department don't want to punish Asti they want Asti back in LRA because it makes it so much easier to roll out their various strands of bull ****. They don't want to go down redundancy road as it's a legal minefield
    As for CBA English task - we are not doing the assessment of our own pupils work. kids will fill in some bull**** reflection task which I won't touch. It's not being done in same manner as in TUI schools
    As for s and s I'm still angry about doing it but perhaps there was a feeling action on this would distract from pay equality issue
    I am pissed off that we have not upped the ante on pay equality by at least starting to strike on issue ? Why haven't we?
    Btw no and I mean no definite confirmation of an attempt to reballot. Will update if I hear anything but I know it's not on agenda specifically but it might fall under review of industrial action. I'm talking about CEC meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

So; why did the Irish Times publish it?

So; why did the Irish Times publish it?

S h i t stirring 101.

I am making enquries about the whole thing. Will report as i get info

I am making enquries about the whole thing. Will report as i get info

You're doing God's work, son :-)

From What I have gathered no motion is before CEC about LR2 but a motion will emerge. This CEC meeting was not organised by a branch, That's bull****. SC made the running here but it was likely to happen via 25 CEC signatures.

What will emerge out of CEC i Have no idea. I would prefer a few strike days in May and withdrawal of s and in May or September. However, I dont see this as likely. A re ballot could happen but CEC has not been called to discuss a re ballot

Having had a minor car accident today I could use that LR money!

• Advertisement

From What I have gathered no motion is before CEC about LR2 but a motion will emerge. This CEC meeting was not organised by a branch, That's bull****. SC made the running here but it was likely to happen via 25 CEC signatures.

What will emerge out of CEC i Have no idea. I would prefer a few strike days in May and withdrawal of s and in May or September. However, I dont see this as likely.

Having had a minior car accident today I could use that LR money!

What good reason is there to remain doing S/S for free? Ye should stop doing that Monday if you ask me.

Constantly being told the TUI are weak etc, ASTI are making a show of themselves. There is no magic bullet for this whole situation bur the least they could do, if they were serious, is inconvenience the Department by having them vet and add supervisors to payroll and actually cost them a few quid to boot.

It'd bring a tear to your eye.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement