Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where now for ASTI? ****ASTI Action- Part III - See 1st Post***

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Unless its an all out strike, I don't see the point

http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0420/868858-schools_asti/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Unless its an all out strike, I don't see the point

http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0420/868858-schools_asti/

So you think an all out strike to be good strategy running into the summer. It would be nearly June before you would be ready to start strike action. The government would refuse to engage and leave you off pay running into the summer break. Would you suspend action then for June, July and August?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

I think the substitution withdrawal is very smart and it's a pity we didn't think of it sooner
    Supervision​ continues so schools can remain open its just substitution affected
    So the govt pays for subs OR THEY close the schools ( extra curricular would also be affected)
    Or of course they could take the cheaper option and pay for s and s

One day strikes not effective but i guess its late in the year and they want to show we are not backing down

Not sure how rte had this again before delegates at convention?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭acequion

km79 wrote: »
    I think the substitution withdrawal is very smart and it's a pity we didn't think of it sooner
    Supervision​ continues so schools can remain open its just substitution affected
    So the govt pays for subs OR THEY close the schools ( extra curricular would also be affected)

One day strikes not effective but i guess its late in the year and they want to show we are not backing down

Precisely. I havent gone in yet for the days session and Im getting my news from this thread!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Well we are in the LRA until July 2018. FEMPI will surely be dead by then!

The two unions want the same thing, going about it different ways.

Yes I agree to wanting the same thing... although I think many ASTI members are getting a bit antsy as to how they are going about it... I suppose too there's dissent in the TUI but maybe not the militancy and propensity for strike that's usually associated with the ASTI.

As regards LR ending in 2018... I doubt that that'll be it (pay totally restored and FEMPI abolished), you can be sure they'll come up with LR2 in 2018, this is why there will be a push for LR2 pretty soon this year.

Once teachers start getting fighty I guarantee other unions will try and get in on the act first (remember Firefighters, nurses, guards, luas, bus drivers) each time the govt made an offer to keep them quiet AND MORE IMPORTANTLY to keep them separate from other unions. Which is why the govt. don't mess with PS unions in France... once one is out they're all out.

Divide and conquer, same as it ever was.

• Advertisement

So you think an all out strike to be good strategy running into the summer. It would be nearly June before you would be ready to start strike action. The government would refuse to engage and leave you off pay running into the summer break. Would you suspend action then for June, July and August?

Probably strike penultimate week or so of term then resume work. 6th years are in revising mode anyhow! If they're really stuck they could actually come in for the very least week! The junior certs... we'll it's all rote learning anyhow with them isn't it ...and that's bad;)

:pac:

I think the Dept. now know that ASTI teachers will back down on SnS like they did last time. They'll have another punitive measure ready which will further split ASTI.

Remember last time when JMB refused to organise subs.... what will change this time? ASTI will give notice but JMB will still find a reason to say no.

Gebgbegb wrote: »

:pac:

I think the Dept. now know that ASTI teachers will back down on SnS like they did last time. They'll have another punitive measure ready which will further split ASTI.

Remember last time when JMB refused to organise subs.... what will change this time? ASTI will give notice but JMB will still find a reason to say no.
    The problem last time was supervision of corridors , before school etc health and safety
    For substitution subs can be paid. From inside or outside the school (TUI/non union members whose numbers have grown in Asti schools)
    Extra curr would have to stop . End of story

Two weeks notice gives 4 weeks strike suspend strike last day of term we get paid for summer. Organise protests outside all correctors conferences in June dare ppl to pass.

acequion wrote: »
    Precisely. I havent gone in yet for the days session and Im getting my news from this thread!!

The dogs on the street know what the Asti are planning, before they know themselves.

• Advertisement

The problem last time was supervision of corridors , before school etc health and safety
    For substitution subs can be paid. From inside or outside the school (TUI/non union members whose numbers have grown in Asti schools)
    Extra curr would have to stop . End of story

Sorry I don't follow.... if ASTI allow in subs to do S&S then it has nothing to do with extra curriculum.
    Are you suggesting Asti balloting to put a freeze on extra curricular as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭doc_17

Sorry I don't follow.... if ASTI allow in subs to do S&S then it has nothing to do with extra curriculum.

I presume they mean that nobody would be available to cover classes so EC would be affected?

Jmb will tell management to cut EC in favour of T&L, dept will not release extra funding to cover subbing so EC suffers.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Jmb will tell management to cut EC in favour of T&L, dept will not release extra funding to cover subbing so EC suffers.

This

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

The Indo would be dying to publish something like that. Click bait. It's like all the idiots who share crap on FB saying it's gonna be the worst winter yet...publishers post it because they know it'll generate traffic.

doc_17 wrote: »
    The Indo would be dying to publish something like that. Click bait. It's like all the idiots who share crap on FB saying it's gonna be the worst winter yet...publishers post it because they know it'll generate traffic.

Funny that - I saw it on the VFT Facebook page who love to riffle feathers - I often wonder who the admin team are. I hate the way the indo paints teachers in bad light - never the positives. It was only suggested that May 16th would be a strike day - according to this article - it's an all out strike - I didn't even read anymore because it would be full of inaccuracies.

Hereis the plan apparently
    #ASTI17 Teachers will not strike next month. Members to protest outside Leinster House during pay talks. New ballot to take place next year

Mass exodus

Will the ASTI be allowed enter pay talks? The way the government are behaving I wouldn't be surprised if they excluded them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Also withdrawal from S and S from September.

Also withdrawal from S and S from September.
    Not s and s
    Just substitution

I wonder will withdrawing from S&S pass a ballot? I think it will, but maybe not by as wide a margin as people might think.

doc_17 wrote: »
    I wonder will withdrawing from S&S pass a ballot? I think it will, but maybe not by as wide a margin as people might think.
    Fairly sure it's just substitution
    So we continue to provide free supervision
    After a full free year of s and s

#ASTI17 Teachers will not strike next month. Members to protest outside Leinster House during pay talks. New ballot to take place next year

Mass exodus

That's a great stance!!! I can see Richard and co having a great laugh!!! I think the time for waiting for something to be done is over. I think its time to resign from the ASTI. I wonder when will they put the next poster out of the window??? I'm thoroughly disappointed with the lack of motivation from Ed Byrne and co. - maybe its time for new management?

Mass exodus

What was actual motion that was passed?

One question that needs answering and I've asked it of the union now via twitter and email
    How did a daily star reporter have info to tweet both last night and this afternoon from these private sessions ????

One question that needs answering and I've asked it of the union now via twitter and email
    How did a daily star reporter have info to tweet both last night and this afternoon from these private sessions ????

There's something rotten in the state of Denmark.

There's something rotten in the state of Denmark.
    RTÉ also had info from sc meeting before the delegates at convention

We have been told wait for election
    Wait till November
    Wait till ballot
    Wait till weeks after ballot
    Wait till convention

Now wait again till September

At this stage a years free s and s will have been given AND the option to opt out will have passed forever
    Not to mention the pay increases , increments etc
    JC is in and no osnervice received
    WHAT IS THE POINT of waiting now
    There is no leadership no plan

Nobody can say otherwise now

Tui membership will soar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I cant even see what our plan is....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement