Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where now for ASTI? ****ASTI Action- Part III - See 1st Post***

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Icsics wrote: »
    Following on from the attempts at convention to essentially reballot on LRA, a member is collection 700 signatures to force a special CEC to explore same

I'm starting a petition by collecting 701 signatures to force a special CEC to withdraw from s&s at random points during a school day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mekekka

Following on from the attempts at convention to essentially reballot on LRA, a member is collection 700 signatures to force a special CEC to explore same

How many times do these cohort have to have no said to them before they actually get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

The President has issued a statement on an attempt that is being made to gather 800 signatures and call a Special Convention to discuss the standing down of all industrial action.

http://www.asti.ie/news/latest-news/news-article/article/statement-from-asti-president-ed-byrne/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

What????? Jesus but they did that already! Have they not got the message!! There will be absolute murder if that happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

The President has issued a statement on an attempt that is being made to gather 800 signatures and call a Special Convention to discuss the standing down of all industrial action.

http://www.asti.ie/news/latest-news/news-article/article/statement-from-asti-president-ed-byrne/

Best way to answer this horsesh1te, well put Ed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

acequion wrote: »
    I appreciate your desire for a CID and we all need more money but there's definitely more to life and to a job than money. I am not exaggerating when I say that at this time of year in the run up to the exams, I work pretty much all day every day [with breaks] Mon-Fri. By all day I mean from about 9am-10 /11pm and I also put in a lot of hours on Sunday. Do I like that kind of pace? Hell no!! Do I feel I have a choice? No again. And that is in a year without CP hours and with large resistance to a lot of the extra workload of the new JC. Now I'm in my 50's and I think the only reason I'm not completely burnt out is because I've only been in this job for about 25 years. I wouldn't like to be in your shoes with presumably a long career ahead of you, but if I were you I'd consider staying with the union who is doing the most to fight against ever deteriorating working conditions and an unsustainable workload. Granted the pace is not always so hectic and we do have good holidays, but all the indications are that the job will get even tougher

You might also consider that some day you might need your union to defend you and it may not be wise to get known as someone who jumps ship for self interest.

Just some perspective!

I'm not looking to switch unions, I have CID. Just heard rumors of people moving over.

Also, try telling a bank manager that there's more to life than money when you're looking for a mortgage! If I was due a CID and it meant switching unions I'd be gone before I could finish typing th

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nellieelephant

Is there not sanctions for this repeat disruption of union work? #kickthemout!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

CWF wrote: »
    I'm not looking to switch unions, I have CID. Just heard rumors of people moving over.

Also, try telling a bank manager that there's more to life than money when you're looking for a mortgage! If I was due a CID and it meant switching unions I'd be gone before I could finish typing th

Some of us have a backbone.

CWF wrote: »

Well maybe you shouldn't be in a union so because you clearly don't understand the essence of trade unionism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Icsics

The comments on ASTI Facebook page are ferocious & to top it all the petition is up too!

• Advertisement

Some of us have a backbone.

Hear, hear!

Well maybe you shouldn't be in a union so because you clearly don't understand the essence of trade unionism.

Maybe!

Sad times we live in. The very people that wont accept the ballot are calling the rest of us undemocratic!!!. I object to being compared to North Korea. Posting that petition on facebook is another clear disregard. Even if they overturn the ballot, they have lost all my respect. And hopefully many others.

Sad times we live in. The very people that wont accept the ballot are calling the rest of us undemocratic!!!. I object to being compared to North Korea. Posting that petition on facebook is another clear disregard. Even if they overturn the ballot, they have lost all my respect. And hopefully many others.

These people have no concept of what a union is and does. The majority are me-feiners who have their own agenda and who want us in LRA for their own motives. They are indeed despicable.

But they won't overturn the ballot. There is great backbone on the CEC and this will only harden resolve.

Ok. I am actually so disheartened reading it all. The government have done nothing but bully us, threaten us and to our absolute credit we have stood firm. Blame is being pointed in the wrong direction here.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

These people have no concept of what a union is and does. The majority are me-feiners who have their own agenda and who want us in LRA for their own motives. They are indeed despicable.

But they won't overturn the ballot. There is great backbone on the CEC and this will only harden resolve.

This won't go to CEC though. This will go to a Special Convention similar to Convention at Easter. This is why I thought it would have been preferably if it had been allowed to be discussed at Easter. I feel it would have been defeated there. I'm not sure it will be defeated at a Special Convention.

Ok. I am actually so disheartened reading it all. The government have done nothing but bully us, threaten us and to our absolute credit we have stood firm. Blame is being pointed in the wrong direction here.

They also aren't getting the irony of complaining that their point of view isn't being listened to when they aren't respecting the outcome of the last vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

ccazza wrote: »
    This won't go to CEC though. This will go to a Special Convention similar to Convention at Easter. This is why I thought it would have been preferably if it had been allowed to be discussed at Easter. I feel it would have been defeated there. I'm not sure it will be defeated at a Special Convention.

I can't see a Special Convention being called by CEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

I can't see a Special Convention being called by CEC.

I don't think it's up to CEC. According to the rules if 800 members sign the petition the General Secretary must call a Special Convention within 6 weeks.

I don't think it's up to CEC. According to the rules if 800 members sign the petition the General Secretary must call a Special Convention within 6 weeks.

While the profession is on holidays.

• Advertisement

Yes indeed. Thanks ccazza for pointing that out. Therefore it will be during the holidays,or as some people are saying,September,by which time things will have moved on with the pay talks etc.

So, by then we'll have new issues to be discussing.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

Absolute nonsense. Do much time has been spent on this already. My friend is on CEC snd said the last two meetings were hijacked by this idea and obviously two days spent at Convention where hours were spent.
    Also on the petition, people involved are saying it's not signing up to LRA just suspending our industrial action. How does that even make sense? They hardly think the government will give us all we are entitled back not signing up? But suspending all industrial action is essentially signing up. Imagine we don't sign up and suspend our industrial action it means we aren't doing either!

Terri26 wrote: »
    But suspending all industrial action is essentially signing up. Imagine we don't sign up and suspend our industrial action it means we aren't doing either!

That's exactly it, we're either in it or we are out, we can't be floating in the nether in between, so how we can stand down and then, by default, not be in the LRA is beyond me, therefore asking we stand down IS asking us to agree to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Icsics

Completely agree Mekekka, we'll end up in no mans land & a ballot result will no longer stand for anything. It's been discussed / argued, the ballot stands. Far too much union politics going on here & 4/5 voices trying to call the shots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Nothing can or will happen until September. We are a democratic union and they have a right to a special convention if they get signatures

I think it's worth recalling the birth of Asti fightback which was in response to the perceived roll over majority at that time. I fully supported fight back. I still do.
    I think it important that our opponents have the right to use procedures. We all do
    In the past headquarters would bury opponents in the rules and procedures if they didn't like where a motion was going.
    Let's keep it civil and allow every dog it's day even those who use hyperbole. North Korea me backside. The man in question is favoured by the Irish times which is de facto the press office of the Department of education. A lot of high fives from the same people over and over again. His blog is an echo chamber

Off topic if you know any lcvp teachers in your school could you pm me. Discretion assured in terms of identities etc

What's going on on the Facebook page is embarrassing; from both sides. The backslapping, the demanding to know where individuals teach, the hashtags and the comparing a union who are waiting for the Public Pay Commission to report to North Korea. Actually embarrassing from people who are meant not only to be adults, but are supposed to be role models for our youth.

I can only imagine what the Department and the papers are saying to each other as all of this is voiced in this manner.
    Are we a union that abides by its mandates and on the behalf of the collective or are we not?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

What's going on on the Facebook page is embarrassing; from both sides. The backslapping, the demanding to know where individuals teach, the hashtags and the comparing a union who are waiting for the Public Pay Commission to report to North Korea. Actually embarrassing from people who are meant not only to be adults, but are supposed to be role models for our youth.

I can only imagine what the Department and the papers are saying to each other as all of this is voiced in this manner.
    Are we a union that abides by its mandates and on the behalf of the collective or are we not?
    Back to the title of thread
    "Where now for Asti?"
    Feel it's even more pertinent now .
    In reality what can now be achieved ?
    The tui are in Board for the govt.
    The Asti is now publically tearing itself apart.
    Why would the govt give ANY concessions now ?
    This is meant as a genuine question.
    Realistically does anybody still feel anything can be achieved?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Off topic if you know any lcvp teachers in your school could you pm me. Discretion assured in terms of identities etc

Mrwhite1970, could you please provide information as to why you require this information or the context please?

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    Mrwhite1970, could you please provide information as to why you require this information or the context please?

I just want to talk to other lcvp teachers about the portfolio. That's it. No hidden agenda ! No marketing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement