Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where now for ASTI? ****ASTI Action- Part III - See 1st Post***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I dont agree with abandoning the action for reasons I have outlined previously but I think those in favor of this have to be respected. Though they should be open to rational argument
    I don't think they do. There was a democratic ballot and the outcome went against them, same as it did for me with TUI but I have to just suck it up. Less than 1 in every 2 members feels the same as them so they didn't get the result they wanted. That's how it works, now they have to get over it or bail out. Throwing their toys out of the pram doesn't change a democratic ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Numbers over quota were miniscule. And every one of them joined the TUI to avail of redeployment. Including 1 person from my place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Numbers over quota were miniscule. And every one of them joined the TUI to avail of redeployment. Including 1 person from my place.

Were they given a warning that they were the ones earmarked for redundancy/ redeployment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Were they given a warning that they were the ones earmarked for redundancy/ redeployment

Yes as far as I know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Gebgbegb wrote: »

From what I know some were told by Asti reps to join tui to avoid the scenario aka lesser of 2 evils.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

My prediction-ASTI will fork out thousands for a special convention which will just reaffirm rejection. Would be a different matter if all members were balloted. Its just so very very Irish and while I can see the others point of view about losing money etc -they are making me sick with asking the same question again and again of the SAME People and expecting a different answer? I know they are using the rules but so did Jeremy corbyn to become and stay leader of the Labour party.

Nothing has changed+no need for Reballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

My prediction-ASTI will fork out thousands for a special convention which will just reaffirm rejection. Would be a different matter if all members were balloted. Its just so very very Irish and while I can see the others point of view about losing money etc -they are making me sick with asking the same question again and again of the SAME People and expecting a different answer? I know they are using the rules but so did Jeremy corbyn to become and stay leader of the Labour party.

Nothing has changed+no need for Reballot.

I completely agree with you and I hope you're right that they'll get rejected again. I have no problem accepting a result in a democratic ballot of all members. But it would be outlandish if these individuals succeeded in bullying their way.

So I would urge people not to be complacent and please attend your branch meetings. This is one meeting no one should skip.That way we can ensure that fair minded people will represent us at the special convention. I would be hoping that some of you guys who post here will be at it. This particular faction is so bullish that they will do their utmost to influence the type of people that get going. All CEC members will attend but there are quite a few new people on CEC and who knows how they will vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭jayo76

I will be at the special convention and hopefuly these people are defeated. If somehow they get their way we should just play them at their own game and immediately register another petition with 800 signatures to demand another special convention to discuss our concerns re the standing down of action!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mekekka

jayo76 wrote: »
    I will be at the special convention and hopefuly these people are defeated. If somehow they get their way we should just play them at their own game and immediately register another petition with 800 signatures to demand another special convention to discuss our concerns re the standing down of action!

I'll happily attend the special convention too whenever it's on, hopefully to see the current stance held up. It galls me that they keep harping on about CIDs as their big reason for this, I'm one of those who would be applying this year under other circumstances (actually I did apply this week Based on the circular that was shared here and went out to school stewards but we shall see how that goes...) and I'm mad that they claim they are representing me and those like me and their fight now is for our benefit. Thanks, but no thanks.

Mekekka wrote: »
    I'll happily attend the special convention too whenever it's on, hopefully to see the current stance held up. It galls me that they keep harping on about CIDs as their big reason for this, I'm one of those who would be applying this year under other circumstances (actually I did apply this week Based on the circular that was shared here and went out to school stewards but we shall see how that goes...) and I'm mad that they claim they are representing me and those like me and their fight now is for our benefit. Thanks, but no thanks.

Fair play to you Mekekka!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mekekka

acequion wrote: »
    Fair play to you Mekekka!

Got on to HQ to see what the rationale for suggesting we apply now was and went to my principal and asked would he sign it, and he did. Still presume I'll get a no but one more form to process if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Icsics

Sat 10th June for Special Convention

Icsics wrote: »
    Sat 10th June for Special Convention

When will they pick delegates?

Next branch meeting, CEC automatically going

June 10th is into the summer holidays and many people will be away. Therefore everyone is asked to email Ed Byrne to ask to change the date in order to facilitate all those who wish to go. The only fair way to do this is to ensure that it takes place before the end of May or from the end of August ie during the school year.

The rules state that a special convention must be "called" not "held" within 6 weeks. Therefore there is no reason not to "call" the meeting for September.

Email to astipresident@asti.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Liberal_irony

I thought you couldn't swap union in the middle of a dispute. I couldn't join ASTI in October for this reason

I thought you couldn't swap union in the middle of a dispute. I couldn't join ASTI in October for this reason

You can if you lie or the other union turn a blind eye. Both of which are happening as asti members join tui

Does anyone have the exact wording of the motion to be discussed at the special convention. If I don't get picked to go you'll spot me outside citywest handing out 30pieces of silver to those who signed the petition.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

ccazza wrote: »

So if the talks are finished before the 10th then we don't have to have a convention or suspend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Any news from Branches? Im hoping to be nominated by our branch this week. What is mood?

Got txt this morn about fail protest this eve. Could have given us a bit more notification

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

judeboy101 wrote: »
    So if the talks are finished before the 10th then we don't have to have a convention or suspend?

We have to have it anyway as it was called and therefore must happen. So will cost us €80k either way.
    Any news from Branches? Im hoping to be nominated by our branch this week. What is mood?

Not great, as you'd expect. We have our 14 picked for the convention. People generally against the motion at the convention as it's so pie in the sky. It assumes the government will say "No industrial action? Oh, fab here's your money. Lets just forget about the JC".
    Got txt this morn about fail protest this eve. Could have given us a bit more notification

Ed Byrne found out at 5.50pm yesterday that the public service talks were starting today at 3.30pm. They gave as much notice as they could.

dory wrote: »
    We have to have it anyway as it was called and therefore must happen. So will cost us €80k either way.

Not great, as you'd expect. We have our 14 picked for the convention. People generally against the motion at the convention as it's so pie in the sky. It assumes the government will say "No industrial action? Oh, fab here's your money. Lets just forget about the JC".

Ed Byrne found out at 5.50pm yesterday that the public service talks were starting today at 3.30pm. They gave as much notice as they could.

He could have texted last Ni, many if us cant organise child cover from school as was as some. Id have lived to have gone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

He could have texted last Ni, many if us cant organise child cover from school as was as some. Id have lived to have gone.

Yea, they could have. I guess no one was in the office after 6. Ed was at a retirement do in Cork and popped into the branch meeting for a chat. Have to say, he was good and made a lot of sense. I realised how ignorant I'd been of the whole thing. It's so easy to sit in the staffroom saying "They're doing nothing" etc. But then you go, and you listen, and realise every advance has been because of ASTI pushing, and they're taking all the slack for it. At the end of the day they're only implementing the will of their members. They can't help that the government won't give an inch.

I'm obviously not saying they're perfect. Far from it. I wish they'd hire proper PR people for a start. But they're better than TUI for fighting for teachers' rights.

Yea, they could have. I guess no one was in the office after 6. Ed was at a retirement do in Cork and popped into the branch meeting for a chat. Have to say, he was good and made a lot of sense. I realised how ignorant I'd been of the whole thing. It's so easy to sit in the staffroom saying "They're doing nothing" etc. But then you go, and you listen, and realise every advance has been because of ASTI pushing, and they're taking all the slack for it. At the end of the day they're only implementing the will of their members. They can't help that the government won't give an inch.

I'm obviously not saying they're perfect. Far from it. I wish they'd hire proper PR people for a start. But they're better than TUI for fighting for teachers' rights.

I agree, Ed Byrne is a strong leader but impeded by internal politics. The people who called for & got the special convention are now looking for a special SC to overturn the industrial action. Seems they are worried the special convention won't go their way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

But they're better than TUI for fighting for teachers' rights.
    Be careful of setting really low benchmarks though.

Icsics wrote: »
    I agree, Ed Byrne is a strong leader but impeded by internal politics. The people who called for & got the special convention are now looking for a special SC to overturn the industrial action. Seems they are worried the special convention won't go their way!

Would it be possible to get signatures at a special convention to have a special convention to remove to clause to allow 800 signatures for a special convention?

• Advertisement

Be careful of setting really low benchmarks though.

True,but it is so hard when being constantly undermined by our own members such as these people who want this convention. They are holding up the TUI as a beacon of sterling trade unionism and portraying their own as a bunch of rabble rousers. It is so frustrating and all we've been doing these past months is fighting their constant coup attempts. We may actually have made some progress in our campaigns if all our energies weren't constantly diverted into this. And 80K is huge money! But do they care!

Fair play to all those going. It is so vital to have fair minded people at that convention.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement