Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemara Marathon 2017 - How bad is it??

Options
  • 09-11-2016 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

Okay folks, how tough is it?? Am hearing horror stories...did Manchester last year and would love to do another this year....:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I did the ultra this year & really struggled because of the weather so it depends :) From talking to people afterwards, some people had no problems & some ended up in an ambulance cause of hypothermia. One of these years I'm hoping it will be like those nice sunny photos you see on the website!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

opus wrote: »
    I did the ultra this year & really struggled because of the weather so it depends :) From talking to people afterwards, some people had no problems & some ended up in an ambulance cause of hypothermia. One of these years I'm hoping it will be like those nice sunny photos you see on the website!

Lovely challenging scenic course, one to enjoy rather than target for a PB

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

The weather this year (2016) was truly awful (cold, rain an wind) and made it a real challenge.
    In fair weather it's fine as long as you plan for and remember that there are a couple of hills in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

echancrure wrote: »
    The weather this year (2016) was truly awful (cold, rain an wind) and made it a real challenge.
    In fair weather it's fine as long as you plan for and remember that there are a couple of hills in the second half.

In terms of times I would say add 4/5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Thanks folks....so it's not hilly all the way around??:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Johnners1878

The first half is lovely, more undulating than hilly. The second half is tough enough - as soon as you hit Leenane there's a long climb and at around 22/23 miles you basically get to the bottom of mountain, glance up and see little dots on the skyline and realise they're runners and you've got to get all the way up there before you finish. Nice downhill to the line after that though! I did it in 2015 when conditions were perfect - could be wild enough if the weather is bad. Really enjoyed it and will definitely do it again, but as someone else said, not a pb course.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ploughon

Okay folks, how tough is it?? Am hearing horror stories...did Manchester last year and would love to do another this year....:pac:

Hi Runningbuddy,

think I have done it four times now and the half once.

It would be a total contrast to Manchester...
    very few people/spectators on the course and when you leave Leenane the road is closed, so no traffic and depending on your pace, it can be pretty quite out there...except for the sheep!

The second half is hilly, with a mile out of Leenane and 1.5 mile between mile 22-24 to climb.

If you hold back in the first half and allow time for the hills its a beautiful run, there are some down hills too!

Its a different experience to a flat city marathon..nature, scenery, good camaraderie (bonding through pain!), unpredictable weather, climbing and mostly quiet country roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

will just reiterate what has been said already. I can be a fantastic one to do. Savage scenery, quiet roads, hills ( if you are in to that )

but it can be tough if the weather turns, but in fairness anyone aiming to do that will do the bulk of their training in some shocking winter weather anyway, so you should be used to it by then.

I ran it in 2014 and loved it. a lot of folks complained about the weather that day. It was windy as f**k that day but i did not mind it. I went with the expectation of it being a horrible day so it was not big shock when it turned out that way.

Not a race for a PB but a very enjoyable run, I would recommend it to anyone

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Have done the Ultra (39.3miles) twice and the Marathon once in Connemara and its an enjoyable area of the country.

The marathon kicked my ass as the hills made bits of me and the weather was very hot that day, but within 30seconds of crossing the finish line I decided I would do the Ultra the following year.

The course is good but not for a first timer, it can be lonely at times especially if you're slower. Coming out of Leenane and doing the hell of the west is a "fun" experience. On the second time I did the Ultra the wind was so strong on the hell of the west that I was blown across the road several times!...but I still knocked 30min off my first attempt at the Ultra and it was one of my most enjoyable races ever.

The thing to remember is Connemara has a micro climate, it can start of pouring rain but an hour later and further down the course the sun could be splitting roads. By the time you finish it could be a thunder storm :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

How well organised is this event, mainly the half in relation to provision for slower runners. I've only done 1 half, just under 2hrs 10mins, on my last 5k lap the water & lucozade stations had run out :rolleyes: I hadn't taken any on my previous lap so i was left really uncomfortable in the last couple of miles :o I'd probably be looking to do the same time again or slightly slower considering any gains i've made in speed would be lost on the hills :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

ariana` wrote: »
    How well organised is this event, mainly the half in relation to provision for slower runners. I've only done 1 half, just under 2hrs 10mins, on my last 5k lap the water & lucozade stations had run out :rolleyes: I hadn't taken any on my previous lap so i was left really uncomfortable in the last couple of miles :o I'd probably be looking to do the same time again or slightly slower considering any gains i've made in speed would be lost on the hills :eek:

It's four years since I did the half there but it was my first half and it took me just under 2 hours. There is an ultra and a full marathon going on at the same time, their last 13 miles is the half marathon and you will see marathon and ultra runners pass by you. I recall there being no shortage of drinks or food on the course and the locals were incredibly generous with jellies, particularly on the "hell of the West", the second last mile. Someone who has done it more recently may be better equipped to answer.

p.s. 2 hours and 10 minutes is not slow for a half marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Neady83 wrote: »
    It's four years since I did the half there but it was my first half and it took me just under 2 hours. There is an ultra and a full marathon going on at the same time, their last 13 miles is the half marathon and you will see marathon and ultra runners pass by you. I recall there being no shortage of drinks or food on the course and the locals were incredibly generous with jellies, particularly on the "hell of the West", the second last mile. Someone who has done it more recently may be better equipped to answer.

p.s. 2 hours and 10 minutes is not slow for a half marathon.

Thanks for the reassuring reply and especially the bold bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

Have done the full in Connemara 3 times doing it this year again. My first marathon was Connemara. Have always enjoyed it that's why I keep coming back. don't mind the hills, this is Ireland every road has hills, keep your focus and you will get through it. For me there is a greater sense of achievement after this race because it is tough. Fantastic scenery and very well organised.
    all in all it is not bad. Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pushpush

Conn is a great race , very tough last year because of the weather. i did the ultra.
    Done the marathon 3 times best time 3.39 .
    Not a pb course but well worth doing

Hi all,
    I did the Connemara marathon for the last three years. I am down again for this year, but I think I'll be switching to the ultra...

It's been on my mind for a while and I am not really fit for a fast marathon, so I'll be doing distance instead.

I only ran a 50k once so I am a newbie at Ultras...

On this topic, what is the advantage of dropping bags along the route as the Ultra allows? I should be able to carry enough gels and electrolytes in my belt: surely less fiddling than using the bag drop.
    Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

On this topic, what is the advantage of dropping bags along the route as the Ultra allows? I should be able to carry enough gels and electrolytes in my belt: surely less fiddling than using the bag drop.
    Thoughts?

The advantage is the obvious one that you're not encumbered with lugging a belt and its contents over the entire course.

Me being me, I'd also say that unless the temperature exceeds 30 degrees for the duration of the race electrolytes are unlikely to be more than a psychological crutch and not have any physical benefit (and even there are tropical conditions, they'd still be questionable). Personally I'd also say gels are questionable as well, to say the least.

Enduro wrote: »
    The advantage is the obvious one that you're not encumbered with lugging a belt and its contents over the entire course.

Me being me, I'd also say that unless the temperature exceeds 30 degrees for the duration of the race electrolytes are unlikely to be more than a psychological crutch and not have any physical benefit (and even there are tropical conditions, they'd still be questionable). Personally I'd also say gels are questionable as well, to say the least.

Thanks Enduro, but regarding gels and electrolytes, I think it is more a matter of what works for the individual. Personally, I need my gel and electrolytes.

As a matter of curiosity: what do you put in your drop bags then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

A bottle of sports drink in my case. I much prefer sports drink to gels. I also throw in a gel or 2 into a bag but have thrown them out as often as I have taken them.

If you are using the bag drop, make sure your bag is distinctive enough to be spotted straight away. I'll never forget the horror of coming to the aid table with at least a dozen pretty much identical looking white bags on it, one of them being mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

Thanks Enduro, but regarding gels and electrolytes, I think it is more a matter of what works for the individual. Personally, I need my gel and electrolytes.

If I was doing conn ultra I'd probably buy a cheap box of flavoured drinks in squeezy packets in aldi or lidl, and place a few of them in aid stations in the last third. I'd expect to only use one or two at most, and as likely to use none at all.

I've no doubt you need gels and electrolytes. But I'd say that's a psychological need based on how you've trained and hearing generally accepted received wisdom. The chances of you physically needing electrolytes racing in Ireland are probably zero (unless you're completely over-hydrating in exceptionally hot weather). And for gels, you'd probably be as well off saving a ton of money and weight by bringing some jelly babies/ jelly beans / fruit pastilles or whatever along instead. You'll get the same sugar hit (and pickle juice effect), and it will taste waaaay better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Stocked up on these last night so I'll be ready to gaffer tape them all over my body if the weather turns out like last year ;)

dmcrj8.jpg

• Advertisement

Enduro wrote: »
    I've no doubt you need gels and electrolytes. But I'd say that's a psychological need based on how you've trained and hearing generally accepted received wisdom. The chances of you physically needing electrolytes racing in Ireland are probably zero (unless you're completely over-hydrating in exceptionally hot weather). And for gels, you'd probably be as well off saving a ton of money and weight by bringing some jelly babies/ jelly beans / fruit pastilles or whatever along instead. You'll get the same sugar hit (and pickle juice effect), and it will taste waaaay better.

Let's not go down the route of the gel discussion again (I make my own, it's cheap, I know what's in it, I don't waste any, I like the taste) whether they are needed (I do or I hit the wall, at least in training with only a light breakfast after about 16 miles, it's not psychological). As for electrolytes I also need them (I sweat a lot, and I cramp a lot if I don't take them e.g con 2015 when it was sunny and warm for the second half).

For me if the bag drop is about fuel and drinks I'll probably won't use them.

I very much like the idea of the warming pack though.

Advertisement