Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIFI NETWORK ADAPTER WINDOWS 10 HP PAVILLION

Options
  • 09-11-2016 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

.... does not appear in device manager and obviously cannot then detect networks or connect to internet.

Apparently this is a fairly widespread problem with windows 10. (not just on the HP Pavilion) Some people have suggested that it is a problem for computers that update to windows 10 rather than come with it as the os.

I have tried all the solutions suggested, all the command prompt solutions, downloaded new adaptor, restore computer, default through BIOS. None of it really resolves the problem long term.

One thing I have noticed though is that when the wifi network adapter disappears it is replaced by a number of Bluetooth adapters and when the wifi adapter is present the Bluetooth adapters are not. I'm not sure why this is but I reckon understanding this is the key to understanding the problem and maybe coming up with a longer term solution.

For anyone reading this who has similar problem the a cheap enough long term solution suggested is a usb wifi adapter.

Are there any tech people who might have an insight into the above?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Are you running with the latest drivers as suggested by HP? Is HP Support Assistant running on your laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

degsie wrote: »
    Are you running with the latest drivers as suggested by HP? Is HP Support Assistant running on your laptop?

If the hardware is not physically detected by the OS (which it is not) then the driver being used would not have anything to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TimingChain77

degsie wrote: »

Yes went to HP and downloaded and installed latest drivers/network adapters, when I go to the device manager the wifi adapter is still not listed.

I used the HP Support Assistant but when I run a scan on network adapters it shows no problems as it is not detecting any wifi adapter.

I think the key to understanding the problem is the switch from wifi adapter being listed in device manager, as it currently is, and then for no apparent reason that adapter being removed and being replaced by Bluetooth adapter, which is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Switch off and disable the bluetooth adaptor ,and reboot laptop,
    I have to do this maybe once every 6 months on my dell laptop,
    go to network trouble shooter ,
    click wireless network adaptor,http://www.dell.com/support/article/ie/en/iebsdt1/SLN297743
    click enable wifi wireless adaptor .
    http://www.dell.com/support/article/ie/en/iebsdt1/SLN297743#Enable-Disable

My wifi switch is on .

i click f2 key ,wifi on /off . function key f2 or f key with wifi icon on it,
    looks like a small pylon with wave symbols on each side .
    i don,t think my laptop has bluetooth adaptor.

IE for some reason the wifi chip just decides to switch off itself.
    Also as the cliche turn it on again,
    it crowd joke .

to pick up my router ,i have to turn on my dell laptop twice .
    even though i can see 3 other networks ,
    my signal is 5 bars out of 5, 20meg per second .
    once i connect to to router .
    technicolor .
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2753914/turn-bluetooth-windows.html

switch off bluetooth service as in the link above first.
    reboot laptop .

You might have a wifi on /off physical switch or f2 key turns wifi on or off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

davo2001 wrote: »
    If the hardware is not physically detected by the OS (which it is not) then the driver being used would not have anything to do with it.

But it is being detected intermittently. Read the OP.

• Advertisement

Simple solution ,buy a wifi usb adopter , or plug in an ethernet cable,
    It,s well known windows 10 does not work with certain chipsets devices on
    older laptops ,or only works now and again .
    i see no point in upgrading to windows 10 as it seems to have a host of random problems, updates not working or slowing down the pc.
    many people have windows 10,and go back to windows 7,
    as it simply works .
    buy A wifi adaptor that has windows 7,and windows 10 device driver,s .
    Try f8 safe mode ,vga 1024x768 , just to see is the wifi any better in that mode.
    i have had zero problems with windows 7 updates in the last 5 years .
    some windows 10 updates have been known to cause problems with the laptop camera ,
    even on new laptops with windows 10 installed .

riclad wrote: »
    Switch off and disable the bluetooth adaptor ,and reboot laptop,
    I have to do this maybe once every 6 months on my dell laptop,
    go to network trouble shooter ,
    click wireless network adaptor,http://www.dell.com/support/article/ie/en/iebsdt1/SLN297743
    click enable wifi wireless adaptor .
    http://www.dell.com/support/article/ie/en/iebsdt1/SLN297743#Enable-Disable

My wifi switch is on .

i click f2 key ,wifi on /off . function key f2 or f key with wifi icon on it,
    looks like a small pylon with wave symbols on each side .
    i don,t think my laptop has bluetooth adaptor.

IE for some reason the wifi chip just decides to switch off itself.
    Also as the cliche turn it on again,
    it crowd joke .

to pick up my router ,i have to turn on my dell laptop twice .
    even though i can see 3 other networks ,
    my signal is 5 bars out of 5, 20meg per second .
    once i connect to to router .
    technicolor .
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2753914/turn-bluetooth-windows.html

switch off bluetooth service as in the link above first.
    reboot laptop .

You might have a wifi on /off physical switch or f2 key turns wifi on or off.

There isn't a wifi switch on the pavilion keyboard. Plus you can't switch on an adapter when there isn't one being detected.

I have gone to services and turned on wlan autoconfig and to automatic but that did not resolve the problem.

Simple solution ,buy a wifi usb adopter , or plug in an ethernet cable,
    It,s well known windows 10 does not work with certain chipsets devices on
    older laptops ,or only works now and again .
    i see no point in upgrading to windows 10 as it seems to have a host of random problems, updates not working or slowing down the pc.
    many people have windows 10,and go back to windows 7,
    as it simply works .
    buy A wifi adaptor that has windows 7,and windows 10 device driver,s .
    Try f8 safe mode ,vga 1024x768 , just to see is the wifi any better in that mode.
    i have had zero problems with windows 7 updates in the last 5 years .
    some windows 10 updates have been known to cause problems with the laptop camera ,
    even on new laptops with windows 10 installed .

Yes easy solution is to just buy adapter. The computer is one year old.

I updated from windows 8 but can't get back because I don't have key number.

I'm actually getting a message now that there is a problem with wifi sense but when I trouble shoot no problem is showing up. I will most likely loose wifi soon enough again.

While there are general problems with windows 10 my big question is why wifi is being replaced by Bluetooth adapters.

Disable blue tooth totally in control panel ,device manager ,
    click on all bluetooth devices, right click device ,Disable this device,
    also reboot laptop, Switch off all bluetooth services ,
    maybe check on hp support drivers for your model ,pavilion model xx
    wifi driver have you got the latest windows 10 driver .http://acer-ame.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36948/~/windows-10%3A-enable-or-disable-bluetooth

it sounds like theres a driver conflict between the bluetooth and wifi chip.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001EM0P0S/ref=s9_zgift_hd_bw_bT8fnL_g147_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=6SG39JZCM4WSBVYY26SH&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=b385a6dc-842a-569f-a8c2-81967fefc2c1&pf_rd_i=430581031

you could boot up from a linux live cd ,and see does the wifi work,
    linux live cd 32 bit fits on one dvdr disc.

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=218
    This will tell you is there a hardware problem with the laptop,
    or its a win10 driver problem.
    booting from a linux LIVE cd does not touch drive c ,
    click TRY this os,
    DO not click install linux mint.

Disable blue tooth totally in control panel ,device manager ,
    click on all bluetooth devices, right click device ,Disable this device,
    also reboot laptop, Switch off all bluetooth services ,
    maybe check on hp support drivers for your model ,pavilion model xx
    wifi driver have you got the latest windows 10 driver .http://acer-ame.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36948/~/windows-10%3A-enable-or-disable-bluetooth

it sounds like theres a driver conflict between the bluetooth and wifi chip.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001EM0P0S/ref=s9_zgift_hd_bw_bT8fnL_g147_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=6SG39JZCM4WSBVYY26SH&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=b385a6dc-842a-569f-a8c2-81967fefc2c1&pf_rd_i=430581031

you could boot up from a linux live cd ,and see does the wifi work,
    linux live cd 32 bit fits on one dvdr disc.

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=218
    This will tell you is there a hardware problem with the laptop,
    or its a win10 driver problem.
    booting from a linux LIVE cd does not touch drive c ,
    click TRY this os,
    DO not click install linux mint.

I have tried the disabling of the Bluetooth driver and restarted it. It didn't help.

Linux test is an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I'm sure the name Pavilion covers many models over several years. Maybe you have a combo card with wifi and BT, that is faulty? Is there easy access to the card thru a hatch/cover underneath? Its easy to replace a wifi card internally and they're cheap.

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2057872.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xintel+pcie+half+mini+wireless+n.TRS0&_nkw=intel+pcie+half+mini+wireless+n&_sacat=0

Maybe check with drivers for wifi listed on HP site for your model before you choose one of these. I narrowed the search to Intel cards for hopefully greater compatability. If the HP site shows other makes, maybe select them instead.

Depending on your usage, it would seem a shame to use up a USB socket 24/7 with an external adapter. Also easier to be knocked.

There.s dozens of hp pavilion laptops, i used to use one 4 years ago.
    go to device manager, disable bluetooth devices ,this should stop any conflict between the bluetooth and wifi on the laptop, as it will not even try when windows starts up.to
    detect the bluetooth chip ,whether its on or off

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I'm sure the name Pavilion covers many models over several years. Maybe you have a combo card with wifi and BT, that is faulty? Is there easy access to the card thru a hatch/cover underneath? Its easy to replace a wifi card internally and they're cheap.

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2057872.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xintel+pcie+half+mini+wireless+n.TRS0&_nkw=intel+pcie+half+mini+wireless+n&_sacat=0

Maybe check with drivers for wifi listed on HP site for your model before you choose one of these. I narrowed the search to Intel cards for hopefully greater compatability. If the HP site shows other makes, maybe select them instead.

Depending on your usage, it would seem a shame to use up a USB socket 24/7 with an external adapter. Also easier to be knocked.

Not really confident taking computer apart.

There.s dozens of hp pavilion laptops, i used to use one 4 years ago.
    go to device manager, disable bluetooth devices ,this should stop any conflict between the bluetooth and wifi on the laptop, as it will not even try when windows starts up.to
    detect the bluetooth chip ,whether its on or off

The problem is that the Bluetooth adapters do not appear while the wifi adapter appears so I can't disable the Bluetooth adapter while the wifi adapter is still active in an attempt to prevent a potential conflict arising. By the time the Bluetooth adapter appears the wifi adapter is no longer present in the device manager. I do disable the Bluetooth adapter once it is there and the wifi adapter has disappeared. Restart the computer but while the blue tooth adapter is no longer present the wifi adpter is not there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

If your laptop was Win8 when you received it, you can re-install Win8 if you want. The key is stored in the machine itself and is not something you type in.

That's if you want to roll back.

If your laptop was Win8 when you received it, you can re-install Win8 if you want. The key is stored in the machine itself and is not something you type in.

That's if you want to roll back.

Thanks have found tht now. Its an option now so if I can't resolve issue with win 10.

Advertisement