Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I report?

Options
  • 09-11-2016 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Coming from Merrion Square onto Clare street this morning. Long flat bed truck carrying construction equipment alongside me, but as coming up to split into bus lane and normal lane, feeling relatively safe. However, as coming onto Clare street, truck driver drifts into bus lane, forcing me off the road. Ok, so I'm alright, but somewhat understandably angry so decide to confront driver. First smiles at me through his window as he thinks he can just drive off, until I start hitting it hard enough that he can't not get out. Anyway, venting at him and he admits he didn't see me, but asks not to report. I guess as it would endanger his job. He did seem a bit contrite at this stage. Anyway, should I report? Dilemma is dangerous driving vs. threatening a lost job over (possibly) one error (and unlikely to make it again).

Considered replies only please.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

I think don't report it. At this stage it's your word vs his, but as you say he seems like he's learned his lesson and hopefully the interaction between the two of you will save a life (lives) in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'm sure there will be be people on here giving out about your threatening behavior, but it's not easy to keep your cool when you're literally almost squashed by a vehicle.

I would always counsel reporting, but it does sound like he was sorry (eventually) and maybe that's enough to make him think twice and maybe look twice the next time.

Though there's a difference between him passing you and coming alongside you (where he has to have seen you), and you cycling up his inside where he could very well not have seen you. I'm trying to teach my kids to be uber careful cycling up the inside of any kind of large vehicles, even if there is a cycle path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

fat bloke wrote: »
    I

I would always counsel reporting, but it does sound like he was sorry (eventually) and maybe that's enough to make him think twice and maybe look twice the next time.

Would the incident have been seen/recorded by a traffic camera? If so, it might be worth following up on it - for all you know the same driver may have been involved in similar near misses or even a similar accident previously, so is a serial offender who needs to have his wings clipped. (I have no idea as to how you can establish whether a traffic cam recorded the incident.)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

If it was me I would report it you never know he could do the same thing again and not be so lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

If it was me I would report it you never know he could do the same thing again and not be so lucky

Report it to who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I had a similar incident with an air coach on the quays. When I caught him at the lights to wave the fist, the f**ker just smiled and gave me w**ker action.

I was spitting blood but sure what am I going to do, start thumping his window like a crazed lunatic or report him? Would reporting him have made any difference when it's his word against mine. Annoying situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I think you should report it.

If it's the drivers first incident of this type, then I wouldn't think it's likely he'll lose his job over it. He'll be contacted, your word will be against his and that would likely be the end of it.

If this is the nth time that the driver has been reported and contacted, then he may lose his job because he's repeatedly endangering the safety of other users.

I think your side of the transaction relates to your own safety. His side is protecting his job by being a safe driver. You do your bit and he should be doing his bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

qb123 wrote: »
    Coming from Merrion Square onto Clare street this morning. Long flat bed truck carrying construction equipment alongside me, but as coming up to split into bus lane and normal lane, feeling relatively safe. However, as coming onto Clare street, truck driver drifts into bus lane, forcing me off the road. Ok, so I'm alright, but somewhat understandably angry so decide to confront driver. First smiles at me through his window as he thinks he can just drive off, until I start hitting it hard enough that he can't not get out. Anyway, venting at him and he admits he didn't see me, but asks not to report. I guess as it would endanger his job. He did seem a bit contrite at this stage. Anyway, should I report? Dilemma is dangerous driving vs. threatening a lost job over (possibly) one error (and unlikely to make it again).

Thanks.

Would the Guards bother their hole with this,particularly as nobody was hurt ?

Or is it the drivers boss you intend to inform ?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Titanucd

Was there a company name on the Truck? If so maybe a call to them to ask them to tell the driver to be a bit more careful?

If you were in the bus lane and he drifted into the bus lane then that could have been nasty. If you were a car that he didnt see there could have been a coming together and that would have ruined everyones day.

As others have said the company might just file it under 'Narky cyclist' but I think they would have a quiet word and leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1890 205 805

If you have his reg call them.
    You-Call Centre-Local Sergeant- delegated- Registered Keeper(Drivers boss). The system is meant to be tracked thus preventing them ignoring it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I would normally suggest you report it. However in this instance if you really think that he has "learnt his lesson" and that he is not likely to repeat the danger don't bother imo.

Purpose of reporting such behaviour is to remove dangerous drivers form the roads or to raise awareness of how dangerous such behaviour is.

this wasn't a punishment pass, was dangerous or careless driving by the sounds of it though and by a professional driver in a truck, which is far more dangerous than a normal car.

However the question you have to ask yourself is - would the roads be any safer if you reported it. Sounds like he has already gotten the message. If he did lose his job he would just be replaced by another driver who would probably be more likely to be inattentive in such a situation.

IMO reporting it would not remove a danger from the roads and would not achieve anything really. I think you handled it well to confront him. Had he not been contrite or had he tried to blame you I might have a different view of the danger he would continue to pose in the future.

Of course you were there so are better able to assess whether reporting it is merited or not than any of us posting about it. I suggest though that the question you have to balance is as above - would reporting it reduce the risks for other road users sufficiently to justify/balance the impact on the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Titanucd wrote: »
    Was there a company name on the Truck? If so maybe a call to them to ask them to tell the driver to be a bit more careful?

If you were in the bus lane and he drifted into the bus lane then that could have been nasty. If you were a car that he didnt see there could have been a coming together and that would have ruined everyones day.

As others have said the company might just file it under 'Narky cyclist' but I think they would have a quiet word and leave it there.

I'm puzzled by this comment, clearly this was far more dangerous since it involved a cyclist - who is not protected by a metal cage and who is likely to get dragged under a truck and killed, than would have been the case had it scratched the side of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Titanucd

Fian wrote: »
    I'm puzzled by this comment, clearly this was far more dangerous since it involved a cyclist - who is not protected by a metal cage and who is likely to get dragged under a truck and killed, than would have been the case had it scratched the side of a car.

I was just using that as an equivalent to what happened. i.e. no actual damage done but a very dangerous situation for the cyclist.

The same far less serious/dangerous incident involving a car could have led to slight damage to either vehicle leading to everyones day ruined.

Obviously a truck even tipping a cyclist could have far more tragic consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Thanks for all the feedback.

To some of the issues raised, talking about reporting to the gardai; yes, it was a company truck and yes, I have reg no.

And on balance, as think he has learned lesson, not inclined to report it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

generally, if i have to exchange words with a driver, and the driver apologises for it, that would defuse the situation for me - though i don't think i've had to bail in the same way and face the apology after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

First smiles at me through his window as he thinks he can just drive off, until I start hitting it hard enough that he can't not get out. Anyway, venting at him and he admits he didn't see me, but asks not to report.
    Thanks for all the feedback.

To some of the issues raised, talking about reporting to the gardai; yes, it was a company truck and yes, I have reg no.

And on balance, as think he has learned lesson, not inclined to report it.

Maybe it's just as well. You may have been forced to pay for any damage caused to the door of the truck while you went at it.

Possibly prosecuted for threatening behaviour too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

That's such a dodgey junction.

Traffic merges from two angles onto a single lane, the bus lane is frequently abused, traffic is always at a standstill and sitting in the yellow box. To make matters worse the lights take an age to change and both cyclists and pedestrians are constantly breaking the light.

In fact the pedestrian light heading north was broken for several months this year. I think there are some road works going on there at the moment which makes the already tight lanes that bit more dangerous.

Keep your wits about you at this junction folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Threads such as this (and the other one recently) have an added meaning having seen Nocturnal Animals last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭skulltown

Thanks.

Report it will spread the word out to his colleagues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

kneemos wrote: »
    Would the Guards bother their hole with this,particularly as nobody was hurt ?

Or is it the drivers boss you intend to inform ?

I would hope that the Gardaí would investigate any dangerous interaction between a truck and a cyclist. Two of the eight cyclist deaths of 2016 have been cyclists crushed by a truck - possibly more.
    Anyway, venting at him and he admits he didn't see me, but asks not to report. I guess as it would endanger his job. He did seem a bit contrite at this stage.

Was he contrite because he had endangered the OP's life, or because he had endangered his own job? There's a difference.

OP, do you think that he went away with a genuine intention of never endangering a cyclist again, or with relief that he hadn't been pulled up on this? If the first, you probably wouldn't need to report it. If the second, not reporting it may put other cyclists at risk; your responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Report it to who?

The Coast Guard, the Shire Horse Society and the Guinness Brewery of course.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Maybe it's just as well. You may have been forced to pay for any damage caused to the door of the truck while you went at it.

Possibly prosecuted for threatening behaviour too.

Excuse me, but these comments are out of order. No damage was done to the truck. The only threat made was to report him for dangerous driving. And anyone who witnessed would have clearly seen it wasn't threatening behaviour. So please keep your snide remarks to yourself, it's not helpful in any way.

Chuchote wrote: »
    I would hope that the Gardaí would investigate any dangerous interaction between a truck and a cyclist. Two of the eight cyclist deaths of 2016 have been cyclists crushed by a truck - possibly more.

Was he contrite because he had endangered the OP's life, or because he had endangered his own job? There's a difference.

OP, do you think that he went away with a genuine intention of never endangering a cyclist again, or with relief that he hadn't been pulled up on this? If the first, you probably wouldn't need to report it. If the second, not reporting it may put other cyclists at risk; your responsibility.

It seemed to be both issues. Hard to put a weighting on them, but by the time I'd left I did have the impression that he was somewhat concerned with himself that he hadn't seen me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The Coast Guard, the Shire Horse Society and the Guinness Brewery of course.

Doubt they'd be interested. :rolleyes:

OP, If it was me i'd write/email to the drivers employer and see what reaction i get. I wouldn't report it to the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

ED E wrote: »
    1890 205 805

If you have his reg call them.
    You-Call Centre-Local Sergeant- delegated- Registered Keeper(Drivers boss). The system is meant to be tracked thus preventing them ignoring it.
    That's not how it generally works.

The Gardai generally won't take any serious action until you give a formal statement. I've had some Gardai say "sure give me the reg number and we'll call round to him" but I'm very doubtful about the level of follow-up. Unless the registered owner is in the same area as the Garda, nothing is going to happen unless a formal report goes into the system asking the local station to follow up.

And thumping the truck is definitely an issue, and does expose you to a potential charge of intimidation. A garda warned me about this in the context of using foul language to a motorists.

For a case like this, I wouldn't bother with Gardai but I would report it to the employer. Some employers will take this seriously.

And get a helmetcam for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Report it.

Gardaí have cameras on Clare St so this can be checked. It's not just your word against his.

As for him being contrite and asking you not to report it, one would have to wonder why. You might not be doing him a favour by reporting it, but you could well be doing every other road user one and quite possibly saving a life somewhere down the line.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

RainyDay wrote: »
    The Gardai generally won't take any serious action until you give a formal statement. I've had some Gardai say "sure give me the reg number and we'll call round to him" but I'm very doubtful about the level of follow-up.

In fairness to the Gardai, they seem to follow up.

I've had this confirmed by an independent source that Gardai called to the house of at least one driver that I reported.

Advertisement