Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

Of course he is a legend. People talk Charlton (as if they even saw him play) when in actual fact there are very few of Charltons achievements that Rooney hasn't actually bettered.

Being involved in the complete rebirth of the club?

You can't serious compare Charlton to Rooney without being a complete troll. Charlton is the club's biggest playing icon ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

sky88 wrote: »
    With what rooney has acheieved in his career at united he has to be considered a united legend. hes been one of the greatest united players that i have seen. Sadly his united career wont end great but neither did gary nevilles, evra, rio and i dont think anyone thinks less of them.

We consider players who achieved a lot less than rooney legends. sure i would say most say best,charlton and law are legends and would say few in here have ever seen them play.

Two Ballon D'or winners with the club and the club's biggest playing icon. Reading even a smidge is history about the club and how fans of that era speak of them, it's easy to see Rooney will never be held in that regard. Watching them play has nothing got to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A legend is about so much more than goal records. A big part is their dedication to the club & their willingness to give everything. It's about attitude.

Evra is the classic example. Rooney has never had the charisma of a Cantona or a Keane. Managers say that he is a good captain but I haven't seen any evidence.

When United fans vote Rooney will be well down the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

sky88 wrote: »
    With what rooney has acheieved in his career at united he has to be considered a united legend. hes been one of the greatest united players that i have seen. Sadly his united career wont end great but neither did gary nevilles, evra, rio and i dont think anyone thinks less of them.

We consider players who achieved a lot less than rooney legends. sure i would say most say best,charlton and law are legends and would say few in here have ever seen them play.

Evra was ****. Good attitude that's about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ah here....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Pheonix10 wrote: »

Evra was a great player for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Evra was very good. His positional sense in the latter years of his united career was questionable but overall he was brill for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Evra was shít for his last season and a half but at his peak was arguably the best left back in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Had to read that twice lol.

Nalz wrote: »
    Evra was very good. His positional sense in the latter years of his united career was questionable but overall he was brill for us.

Positional sense for the last 3/4 years at least. Delighted when we sold him. Actually was a joke he got the captaincy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Positional sense for the last 3/4 years at least. Delighted when we sold him. Actually was a joke he got the captaincy.

go-away.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

What happened to Evra was he lost his stamina.. at the height of his powers he was phenomenal at getting up and down the left wing.. when he lost his stamina it was very hard to watch.. he was great going forward but trying to get back was just too much for him..

Fabulous player and everything that you wanted as a person representing the club. Really hope he comes back as an ambassador or in some form when he is finished playing

Of course he is a legend. People talk Charlton(as if they even saw him play) when in actual fact there are very few of Charltons achievements that Rooney hasn't actually bettered.

While I don't dispute Rooney's status as a club legend, what has the part in bold got to do with anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lol, I think I've read it all now.

Go home, you're drunk

bangkok wrote: »
    Lol, I think I've read it all now.

Go home, you're drunk

Nah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Nah

Not bad for a **** player

Monaco[233]
    Coupe de la Ligue (1): 2002–03
    Manchester United[233]
    Premier League (5): 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2012–13
    Football League Cup (3): 2005–06, 2008–09, 2009–10
    FA Community Shield (5): 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013
    UEFA Champions League (1): 2007–08
    FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008
    Juventus[233]
    Serie A (2): 2014–15, 2015–16
    Coppa Italia (2): 2014–15, 2015–16
    Supercoppa Italiana (1): 2015
    Individual Edit
    UNFP Ligue 1 Young Player of the Year (1): 2003–04[234]
    UNFP Ligue 1 Team of the Year (1): 2003–04[235]
    PFA Premier League Team of the Year (3): 2006–07,[236] 2008–09,[237] 2009–10[238]
    FIFA FIFPro World XI (1): 2009[239]
    UEFA Team of the Year (1): 2009[240]

Shaw got a big public backing from Jose.. Smalling not so much.
    “Luke Shaw worked well in this period where we had a very small group but he worked really well, he is ready to play, I don’t have any problem with him. I don’t see if he plays but he is my player, a young player with potential, like every young player he has things to learn but he is a player of my confidence and playing now five matches in two weeks, for sure.”
    Chris Smalling you cannot ask because you have your sources, you trust your sources, you believe what your sources tell you and you did that for 15 days so now you are not going to ask me to comment on your sources.

So on Chris Smalling I don’t comment, you have your trustful relationship with your sources, you wrote, you spoke, you comment, you criticise, I don’t say a word. You do the big headlines with your sources and now I’m not interested.

Full presser:

https://youtu.be/Cc_p6L53-R0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

astradave wrote: »
    Shaw got a big public backing from Jose.. Smalling not so much.

Full presser:

https://youtu.be/Cc_p6L53-R0

thats smalling done at the club then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Is he calling Smalling the leak?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Reading his quotes again I think it is more likely that he is simply trolling the journalist, but with Mourinhos trolling it can be hard to tell at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

astradave wrote: »
    Seen that on the independent and had a laugh at it.. "he slipped on a plastic bottle and banged his knee".. according to reports.. can't find the source though..

He must have been shitfaced. :pac:

I was wondering what jose was getting at about the smalling question too and I actually think he was blaming smalling because there was more wrote about Shaw and his brother had said stuff too in the past but he felt he wanted to publicly back him.

I'd be really disappointed if smalling was been a sh1t I felt he was a future leader for the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Fudging delighted at Jose for saying that stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

stankratz wrote: »
    While I don't dispute Rooney's status as a club legend, what has the part in bold got to do with anything?

Its entirely relevant. Both players helped the club to success, but objectively Rooney helped the club to a lot more success than Charlton did, he helped us win more titles, more cups, get to more European cup finals, scored more goals for his country and very soon will have scored more goals for the club. Yet one is a club legend while the other isn't?

Their achievements are definitely comparable so it seems clear that its a case of familiarity breeding contempt. These fans know nothing about Charlton, they didn't watch him week in week out or see his life lived in the 24/7 media glare, he is a just legend from the past and any of his dirty laundry was private laundry. They are judging Rooney warts and all while judging Charlton on the polished legend passed down to them by people who idolised him. Its not really a level playing field.

Is Charlton a bigger legend than Rooney? Probably, club loyalty, Busby Babe and all that stuff does indeed matter. But at the same time, anybody who thinks our record scorer and one of the most successful players in the clubs history isn't also a bit of a legend, is wrong.

@buckety

One help drive the ethos of the club,get it back on its feet after the worst days in its history,served for years as an ambassador of the club,shunned the limelight and pushed forward his team mates,is respected by his peers worldwide and spoken highly off.. a man who never courted or sought any attention on himself whilst evolving throughout his career

The other a player of undoubted potential who was too lazy to put in the hard work throughout his career to fulfil the potential he had to be the greatest player in the world.. who couldn't keep himself out of the limelight... who put the Club above himself and held them to ransom twice...

Yea I know which one is take

jayo26, ya might point me in the right direction on ebay for a new skybox
    Fooked altogether

M!Ck^ wrote:
    jayo26, ya might point me in the right direction on ebay for a new skybox Fooked altogether

Eh ask big Phil mate

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Fooked altogether

F5s is grand and cheap enough at the mo and mine are all still working perfectly and i have them an age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

rwbug wrote: »
    Reading his quotes again I think it is more likely that he is simply trolling the journalist, but with Mourinhos trolling it can be hard to tell at times.

Yep, hes basically saying 'Why you asking me? You have all the sources, go ask them. You'll get nothing from me'. I think he's sick of the journalists who claim to know whats going on behind the scenes. Smalling, injured or not, has been the topic of a lot of stories on very little evidence over the past few weeks. I don't think its personal to the player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

brinty wrote: »
    One help drive the ethos of the club,get it back on its feet after the worst days in its history,

Rooney wasn't around for the Munich air disaster. If he had been or if a similar disaster happened during his time at the club, how do you know he wouldn't have played a similar role?
    served for years as an ambassador of the club,

Rooney hasn't finished playing yet. Charlton isn't a legend because he served as club ambassador. He served as club ambassador because he was already a legend due to his contributions on the pitch.
    shunned the limelight

You mean 'was fortunate to have played in an era where the internet and camera phones and the notion of selfies didn't exist.' Rooney tends to avoid the limelight as well to be fair to him.
    and pushed forward his team mates,

?
    is respected by his peers worldwide and spoken highly off..

As is Rooney.
    a man who never courted or sought any attention on himself whilst evolving throughout his career

That you know of. Again, a different era. I don't think Rooney actively seeks attention.
    The other a player of undoubted potential who was too lazy to put in the hard work throughout his career to fulfil the potential he had to be the greatest player in the world

England's record scorer and a few goals away from United's record scorer having contributed to the most successful period in the club's history. Too lazy to put in the hard work throughout his career? Jesus, the things some people come out with..
    who put the Club above himself and held them to ransom twice...

That old chestnut, it's almost as tedious to read as the "throw under a bus" remark that always accompanies a Mourinho criticism. Bit ironic that Ronaldo made no secret of wanting to play for Madrid throughout his career and only just about stayed an extra season after United won the CL in 08 and he's a United legend. Rooney considers leaving around 2010 when the club was rapidly falling behind City, the first team was going stale, and the highs of 08/09 a fading memory, changes his mind after assurances from Fergie and an improved contract offer, helps United to a CL final in 2011 and a title in 2013 and he's a treacherous bast*rd.

Yea I know which one is take

It's interesting to note that if you were to hold Roy Keane to all these Charlton standards he'd come up woefully short, even more so than what you're making Rooney out to be. I doubt many here would disregard him as a United legend, even with the green tinted glasses off.

The other a player of undoubted potential who was too lazy to put in the hard work throughout his career to fulfil the potential he had to be the greatest player in the world.. who couldn't keep himself out of the limelight... who put the Club above himself and held them to ransom twice...

Such a nice way to describe a player who was absolutely instrumental in bringing sustained success to the football club, truly the gratitude of fans knows no bounds.

Anyway, instead of eulogising one and demonising the other have you ever considered that you don't need to pick one, they can both be legends...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

As is Rooney. [respected by his peers]

The whole "Rooney had a drink! Wont someone think of the children" hyperventilating is laughable. Rooney is finished as a first team player but he will likely finish his career as the clubs all time top scorer. Jurgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola have both come out and said its nothing unusual and they did the same. They didn't have to, but its clear they respect Rooney. He is Wayne Fecking Rooney. He might be over the hill, but he has been up it.

Its no big deal to them but the English FA want to live on their players shoulders. There is some bizarre puritan streak in the English sport where you not only need to be a world class athlete but a telegenic choir boy as well. And they wonder why the only lad they can find to manage their team and tend to their spiritual and moral needs is Gareth Southgate.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Fooked altogether

I'll pm ya pal

Hey lads pat was ****

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM9RMJ5DX00/

I love pat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Is there some reason I'm missing that there can only be one legend at a club these days.

Rooneys time at United is probably coming to an end. To the person saying he never put in the hard work.....was this after he became England and almost United's top scorer..was this after the season he scored 34 goals in?

Christ on a stick he's outscored the likes of Alan ****ing Shearer and Gary Lineker in an England Jersey and will soon surpass all before him in red. Steamed drunk or not, his status will remain legendry long after he leaves.

He also does plenty for team mates most recent thing that comes to mind is him giving Pogba a penalty when he wasn't having a great run of things...did the same for the 2nd penalty too with Mata was it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Tomorrow.

Nervous. Excited. Worried. Optimistic.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I don't think Rooney will be as fondly remembered as his record for Utd would ordinarily deserve. I think he's been treated very badly by the UK media, as usually happens with Utd's best players, but he threatened to join City at a time when the club was vulnerable to get a massively undeserved contract and that's unforgiveable in my opinion. I think every other incident that's been whipped into a unnecessary storm in his career will be forgotten/forgiven but not that. It'll always be a black mark against his reputation with Utd.

He also does plenty for team mates most recent thing that comes to mind is him giving Pogba a penalty when he wasn't having a great run of things...did the same for the 2nd penalty too with Mata was it?

I could thank this a thousand times its true he passed off two penalties to help team mates struggling for a spark and he could of taken them himself to help his record bid but people didn't see that they said he wasn't hungry enough to take them.

And they were right, he absolutely should have taken those penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Thoughts on the game tomorrow lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

huge game tomorrow a must win game i feel very confident comfortable 3-1 win :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Wayne Rooney was my favourite player, we won countless leagues with him at the helm, got to three champions league finals, of which one we won. He will always be a legend, his stock in my opinion dropped when he pulled that stunt in 2010, I was gutted, and bittersweet he was staying. I couldnt give a toss what he did in his private life, he has been a millionaire since his teens so that is hard to adjust to also. He has been a fantastic servant to the club on the pitch duting a highly succesfull period of the club!

José uncut press conference he saying that if you go threw the English squad of players and see where they were Sunday night you would find most were in worse places then the hotel bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Listen at the end of the day jose is doing a great job and everything is OK. Sorry sorry can't keep a straight face.

Thoughts on the game tomorrow lads?

Ireland have a chance against New Zealand, Utd should have no fear of Arsenal. ;)

niallo27 wrote: »
    Listen at the end of the day jose is doing a great job and everything is OK. Sorry sorry can't keep a straight face.

I know the feeling I've had a smile for nearly 30 years its been great enjoy your moment ye have really earned it bless ye little socks.

Korat wrote: »
    Ireland have a chance against New Zealand, Utd should have no fear of Arsenal. ;)

The rugby should be great game actually what times it on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

jayo26 wrote: »
    The rugby should be great game actually what times it on?

5 or 5:30 I think

12:30 v Arsenal

Ireland kick off against New Zealand at five thirty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I think Arsenal might do us tomorrow if Sanchez starts.. They've upped it. Goal in it either way I think

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement