Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

MUTV interviews with Jose, Zlatan and Daley...

Worth the watch alone to hear Zlatan take credit for Mkhi's goal: ""That assist was perfect, because I said to myself "If I put the ball a little bit behind him, he can do the back-heel, exactly like we've been training for these last couple of weeks"...and it worked"". *Laughs, then heaps praise on Mkhitaryan*

I always admired him as a player, just never knew how much of a sound fúcker Zlatan was before he came to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It pleases me that Zlatan's all round genius is being more widely appreciated these days. The man is one of a kind.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

It pleases me that Zlatan's all round genius is being more widely appreciated these days. The man is one of a kind.

He has been at 4-5 top clubs in different leagues and performed at each. He's scored over 400 goals in his career, in terms of context Alan Shearer scored 310 goals in his career and is the premier leagues leading all time goal scorer.

Man Utd are supposedly the footnote of Zlatans career yet in his time here he has ruined the notion that he was so good for PSG only because the French league was weak.

Having come into the premiership at 35 he's one goal shy of the golden boot halfway through the season.

There's no two ways about it the man is world class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

jayo26 wrote: »
    Happy new year you bitches ye all know nothing :):)

The most eloquent words you've provided all year. ;)

Annair mhaith chairde le An Foireann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Happy new year you bitches ye all know nothing :):)

The new me has already started, I even turned down a free pass to go to the pub last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Best wishes for 2017 folks
    I'm looking forward to a brighter year of Manchester United
    Two trophies
    A happier healthier fitter squad
    A return of champions League football
    Deadwood going out the door
    World class players coming in

Wishing all you guys and gals a happy healthy stress free 2017. May the odds be forever in you favour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

zerks wrote: »
    The new me has already started, I even turned down a free pass to go to the pub last night.

Jaysus ended up in judes for first time in 15 year last night that place just dont change.

Loved that interview with Zlatan he is such a character must be great having him in dressing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It's January Transfer Eve, a big month ahead both on and off the field.
    Wonder if we get a late Christmas present...and happy new year to all, may 2017 be your best year so far.

The best famous people in this world are the ones who don't forget where they came from and who don't change into some obnoxious idiot.
    Zlatan is a person whom most of us have finally gotten to see a lot more of, and it has allowed us to appreciate him, both his talent and the person.
    Finally after a few years without a consistent goal scoring player and long may it continue, we have that, and I really hope he overtakes Messi today.
    But what is even nicer about Zlatan is the person himself, despite the image that is sometimes projected, he seems very down to earth, really fun and just a really nice person.
    I think all the players Jose has bought/brought in so far have similar attributes and it is really good for team spirit, and the quality of their play has raised the playing potential of the team by a lot.
    It is like a rising tide raises all boats.

Getting rid of players who want to leave will only enhance the team.
    There is a lot to look forward to in 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

final match thread of 2016 ladies and gentlemen. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057687333

Let's hope it doesn't follow the trend of the year and die on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

zerks wrote: »
    final match thread of 2016 ladies and gentlemen. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057687333

Let's hope it doesn't follow the trend of the year and die on us.

I'm hoping it dies out quickly. If it rumbles on for a few days it's bad news.

I'm hoping it dies out quickly. If it rumbles on for a few days it's bad news.

I kinda worded my post badly.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Who do we want to win in the evening kick off? My gut always tells me to cheer against Liverpool but them beating City is a better result for Utd most likely.

A draw perhaps the best outcome?

My small minded bitterness would still like to see Liverpool get beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

adox wrote: »
    Who do we want to win in the evening kick off? My gut always tells me to cheer against Liverpool but them beating City is a better result for Utd most likely.

I tend to always go against City although so many of those years it didn't matter too much.

I think a draw is probably the best outcome.

• Advertisement

Once we win first, then we can sit back knowing we will gain either 2 points on two teams or 3 points on one team.
    A draw is nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I think a draw would be best tbh. I can't pinpoint any of the teams above us when it comes to replacing one of the teams in the top 4. They are all capable of going on a winning streak with the players they have. As a result, making ground on two of them is what we need to be doing so if one of them does have a bad patch, we can be close enough to catch them.

I'm actually a bit worried about our match today. Anything but a win would be really bad for confidence in the club just as we were starting to build momentum.

That dembelle chap for celtic looks so good he is going to be a star.

That dembelle chap for celtic looks so good he is going to be a star.

Little McKay fella for Rangers is handy too.

I'm actually a bit worried about our match today. Anything but a win would be really bad for confidence in the club just as we were starting to build momentum.

I'm a bit apprehensive about today's game too. In isolation and with the form we are in we should be winning it, but with a (on paper) more difficult away game on Monday as well it's going to be a fine balancing act team selection wise.

Obviously the two games so close together have to be taken into account when selecting the team and in an ideal world Mondays fixture would take priority. I just hope all the eggs aren't put in one basket and a much skerries team is fielded today, leaving us struggling to get the win.

Having said that I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Jose field a near identical team to the last game with maybe Carrick the only casualty today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Boro worry me a little as they seem to sit back and defend well but if the team has the shooting boots on should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Are Jose's positive words about Depay (professional, polite boy) so that he'll attract more buyers? Surely he has no time for a player who has made any effort to make it at Utd?

Anyone watch the u16s at all? I have a mate who lives in Manchester(but is actually a Liverpool supporter) who was home last month and was telling me about a guy called Angel Gomez who there's a huge buzz about apparently. Great things expected of him. Plays no 10 and is a local lad as far as I know.

Are Jose's positive words about Depay (professional, polite boy) so that he'll attract more buyers? Surely he has no time for a player who has made any effort to make it at Utd?

Maybe he is polite and professional? He has been brutal at Utd but we really never know what goes on in the background. Maybe he's a really good trainer, punctual, easy to work with etc. And Jose just doesn't see him in his plans.

Either way he's not going to down talk a player when he's going up for sale so it makes perfect sense to utter those words either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Anyone watch the u16s at all? I have a mate who lives in Manchester(but is actually a Liverpool supporter) who was home last month and was telling me about a guy called Angel Gomez who there's a huge buzz about apparently. Great things expected of him. Plays no 10 and is a local lad as far as I know.

Very highly rated - plays a lot for the Under 18 side, despite his age, and would be considered one of the key attacking players. Himself and Gribbon look very good. Gomes would also be one of thestandouts for the england youth sides.

Very quick feet, great control, good game intelligence too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I think there is this myth about Memphis, and its based pretty much on him grimacing when something didn't work for him on the pitch. People have taken that and created a huge backstory about him being lazy, feckless, not caring, etc. When the reality is they've never spoken to him at all. Jose knows him better and says hes professional and polite and trains hard.

Anything I've seen of Memphis demonstrates that he cares very much about not succeeding at United. The few games he had this season he looked like a player who was trying too hard to impress and do everything himself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Carrick, Rojo and Jones rested. Fellaini, Smalling and Bailly back in.

Surprised he has split up Jones and rojo both on bench must be down to rotation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/815195818953150465

Not sure why you would change the central defence. And bringing felani for Carrick why not try bastian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Lord TSC wrote: »

Is Rooney cup-tied?

Is Rooney cup-tied?

Lol but he is still Injured.

Lord TSC wrote: »

Martial in for Lingard too.

Edit: and Miki for Mata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

sky88 wrote: »

Not sure why you would change the central defence. And bringing felani for Carrick why not try bastian.

Why when Fellaini has performed well in that role this season & Bastian has barely kicked a ball.

sky88 wrote: »

Two games in 48 hours and today's game is the "easier" of the two. It's a gamble but understandable. The only thing I'd worry about is Smalling lack of recent game time and how quickly he can get up to speed. Bailly just seems to be able to slot back in seamlessly.

He's picking Fellaini over Bastian because he's picked Fellaini in that position before and he has played well for him there. Bastian has made a couple of sub appearances at best this season and it would be strange decision to play him there in that context. He's not really in Joses plans at all and was more or less shown the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Just watching the old firm. Dembelle looks a real talent for Celtic. Terrorising rangers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Very highly rated - plays a lot for the Under 18 side, despite his age, and would be considered one of the key attacking players. Himself and Gribbon look very good. Gomes would also be one of thestandouts for the england youth sides.

Very quick feet, great control, good game intelligence too.

Did ye know that he is Nani's cousin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Just watching the old firm. Dembelle looks a real talent for Celtic. Terrorising rangers

It's just hard to know how good he actually is isn't it? They've just gone 19 points clear. Reckon he could do with hitting a lower PL team for a season or two and seeing how he gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

He might have decided to rest Jones and Rojo considering how little goals Boro have scored this season ,especially away from home.Its a gamble resting/changing a winning team but probably one he feels is necessary.

I like the front 3 imo thats the best attacking trio we have with plenty of pace from the wings.

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Did ye know that he is Nani's cousin?

Is he? He's a local lad though right? Or at least there since he's a kid if Portuguese?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

It's just hard to know how good he actually is isn't it? They've just gone 19 points clear. Reckon he could do with hitting a lower PL team for a season or two and seeing how he gets on.

He's very good, to be fair he did well with Fulham and he is already starting to really mature. He is 20 and has an outstanding future, give it 2 years and he will be at a big club in Europe/England. Great athlete and not afraid to take responsibility

Is he? He's a local lad though right? Or at least there since he's a kid if Portuguese?

He was born in England, his dad is Portuguese .Dad played in lower English leagues for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yeah he's English but his Dad is Portuguese. From googling I see that his Dad won the U20's world cup with Portugal and finished his playing career with Salford City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No Carrick? Uh oh.

He's obviously in need of a rest so there's no helping it but still, uh oh.

Ahh the return of fabio to old trafford

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    He was born in England, his dad is Portuguese .Dad played in lower English leagues for a few years.

Bangkok sat beside his grand father at an u13 game recently he a nice man by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Yeah he's English but his Dad is Portuguese. From googling I see that his Dad won the U20's world cup with Portugal and finished his playing career with Salford City.

Surprised he's playing for England instead of Portugal

To much hassle playing for England I would of thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Fellaini is perfectly fine in the Carrick role in a game like this

Headshot wrote: »
    Surprised he's playing for England instead of Portugal

To much hassle playing for England I would of thought

Born and bred in England, he might have no real connection to Portugal.

Sky must be hard up for a few pound, only one pundit?

And his English is cat, just called Zlatan a chauvinist when he meant he was macho.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement