Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Johner wrote: »
    Lol that is the biggest load of bollox I've ever read, most footballers don't care about the glamour and prestige. City were able to attract players like Silva, Aguero, Yaya, De Bruyne etc and they'll be able to attract more world class players with a manager like Pep.

So all will be off to China so.

Gained 2 goals on City, a team where we have a history of GD being vital...

Down to 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Regardless of how Arsenal and Spurs do we will only be only 3 off 4th spot at the end of this round.

Have to be happy with that all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I would have preferred Pep over Mourinho last summer, I figured he would make better use of the squad as assembled with less turnover. And I still dont trust that Mourinho will be around by season 3 so that seemed important.

However while Mourinho has not been a roaring success results wise (we are where we are in the table, and the win against Sunderland brought him level with Moyes win ratio) and its taken time to find his strongest XI, he actually has been able to make good use of the players there. Both Rojo and Jones have been forged into a strong partnership when even a few months ago most were happy to see the back of both. Mata has been utilised when people were convinced he would be sold. Rooney has been quietly dropped without fanfare. His additions to the squad have been so successful that they are all now seen as key first team players. Guardiola on the other hand has not been able to put together a decent defence from what are individually at least as good players, his big transfers in like Bravo have been mediocre at best and he has picked a number of needless fights with key players.

I wouldn't write Guardiola off and the facts are his team is still 3 points ahead, but Mourinho has seemed to be the manager more willing to compromise and use the squad he has which bodes well for the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I know Rooney is injured at the moment but is he anymore than squad option now?
    Picking a team its hard to see where he gets games even coming off the bench might be a struggle for him .If United chasing a game like today I dont really see him as an option compared to other players in the squad.

Sold in the summer ?

• Advertisement

Excellent post as always Sand
    I was always a Jose critic but this is the happiest I have been as a Utd fan in years, even if we are sitting in 6th

It's the progression of tactics, the development of players that were wrote off, he is giving the youth a fair chance, his tactics have been spot since the Chelsea defeat, and brining back a winning mentality that has been missing since Fergie left.
    It's the manner of the wins against palace and today for arguments sake which is the most pleasing.
    Truly exciting times at the moment. And it looks like more juicy signings are on the way

2017 is Greizmann time, bookmark this!

Happy New Year all, we are back baby!

yabadabado wrote: »
    Picking a team its hard to see where he gets games even coming off the bench might be a struggle for him .If United chasing a game like today I dont really see him as an option compared to other players in the squad.

Sold in the summer ?

Depends on a ridiculous offer from China and if he would want to go, a Ronaldoesque offer would be a nice banker for the club and the player. I wouldn't like to see him leave until he has got the goals record - he deserves to finish up with that broken. You have to assume he gets it this season.

I find it hard to see him as a first team XI player at this point. Having him pissed off, sitting on the bench, coming on with 20 minutes to go and a point to prove against a tiring defence is a nice option though. He does seem to have recovered some of his poise in recent games with some very nice pieces of play and really good control.

I think the longer term question is who is United's #9 in 2 years time? Probably wont be Zlatan or Rooney. It would be interesting to see if Martial or Rashford continue to develop and move into the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

yabadabado wrote: »

Sold in the summer ?

He's not much more than a squad player now,Jose has been very good at phasing him out.He'll get the record and then leave with his head held high.
    Rooney would have just been in the way today,some of the intricate one two's would have never came off if he was involved.
    United are looking to the future and being linked with the likes of Griezmann and Keita shows they are doing the groundwork for a future without Rooney.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Excellent post as always Sand
    I was always a Jose critic but this is the happiest I have been as a Utd fan in years, even if we are sitting in 6th

It's the progression of tactics, the development of players that were wrote off, he is giving the youth a fair chance, his tactics have been spot since the Chelsea defeat, and brining back a winning mentality that has been missing since Fergie left.
    It's the manner of the wins against palace and today for arguments sake which is the most pleasing.
    Truly exciting times at the moment. And it looks like more juicy signings are on the way

2017 is Greizmann time, bookmark this!

Happy New Year all, we are back baby!

It seems nailed on - I'd really like to see the fantasy football XI Mourinho has in his mind with Griezmann at the centre of it. The thing I like about Pogba is he tries to make things happen - he sometimes makes a mistake, loses the ball, but he is an incredibly direct player always looking to attack the opposition. Him, Griezmann, Mkhitaryan and Martial could do terrible, terrible things to opposing defences.

Griezmanns best position or where would he play next season if he was signed and none of the other current players leave?

• Advertisement

League points for 2016
    United 72
    City 69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Gentlemen best of luck in 2017.

Have to say I enjoyed the two games today for different reasons. The United game was much more enjoyable to watch with some nice play and in the Liverpool game we got the job done and added another three points to the board.

Also to the poster who mentioned Red Monday, that never actually happened, I've erased it from memory it was such a terrible game :D

United are getting into a very good position both on and off the pitch.

The quality of players bought were not a huge gamble, and they were bought with a plan, we can look at Di Maria and say what was the LVG plan with him, didn't seem to know where to play him.
    Jose bought players with a purpose.

The good thing about the rising quality of the United team is - while we will have to replace Ibrahimovic eventually - probably summer 2018.
    United eventually, if they buy correctly like last summer, will not need to buy as many players.
    It looks like a centre back, fullback, central defensive midfielder and a replacement for Memphis and Rooney as in 1 player (Griezmann) are what we will be looking at.
    Now lets say we do as well as we did last summer with the signings.
    Summer 2018 and United will have lots of money and only needing to buy to freshen things up, if we get summer 2017 as good as we did in 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Im enjoying Mourinho's comments about Martial. I said here recently Martial looked uninterested for a lot of the season and needs to basically put up or shut up. Based on todays performance he has decided to be the top class player we want him to be.

One thing I noticed is that his position when he receives the ball is vital to how well he does. He needs to receive the ball a few yards outside the box while already behind the midfielders instead of on the touch line with a midfielder and right back doubling up in him. When he gets it just outside the box and starts to advance inwards he is dangerous as hell. Out on the touch line not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

united-boro-stats.png?w=960

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

32 shots. How long would it have taken LvG to get that many :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Just remembered when we got the second goal Jose calling Rojo over the set up the game plan which is good to see

Losing baily now for the African cup, sickened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

One of the most pleasing things today is the reaction after getting that suckered punch of boro goal. This time last year as a supporter you were almost resigned to defeat once that goal goes in. You now feel confident that the team will create good chances, will put concerted pressure on the opposition and as a fan you are still confident of getting the result.

Honestly them 2 goals were the most/loudest I celebrated for a Utd game in a long time (mata overhead at Anfield aside!).

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »
    Just remembered when we got the second goal Jose calling Rojo over the set up the game plan which is good to see

We have Rojones with Mike for backup.

Defensively I'm not concerned one bit tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Love to get top 4 this season, win the Europa league too. Would be happy with that this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Hococop wrote: »

In fairness, Jones and Rojo (bar a couple of tackles) have been more than decent. Just praying they both steer clear of injuries until Bailly is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The good thing is we can still get 20-30% more from certain players.

Hopefully Martial kicks on now too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Only out of work now, I bet the match thread is a fun read today :D

Happy New Year lads and lassies, stay safe, enjoy and best wishes for the 2017

GGMU!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    adox wrote: »
    Probably not but Liverpool scored a lovely goal and never looked in any sort of trouble despite not playing great.

Aguero didn't have a single touch in the liverpool box today... thats incredibly impressive.

He will probably be gone next season.

ebbsy wrote: »
    He will probably be gone next season.

Why? That would have them outside top 4 for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Heard ye have already hired the buses out for two weeks time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Behind Liverpool I see :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

BbgL7x3.gif

yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Red Sunday

Earlier in the season......

https://twitter.com/FutbolSergi/status/779717668534415360
    10 official games for Manchester City under Guardiola, 10 wins. Imagine when he actually "adapts", eh?

And now......:pac::pac::pac:

Stones - £47M
    Sané - £42M
    Jesus - £27M
    Gundogan - £23M
    Nolito - £15M
    Bravo - £15M
    Moreno - £5M
    Rulli - £4M
    Zinchenko - £2M

https://twitter.com/FutbolSergi/status/815276861559283712

Lols. Welcome to Old Trafford, don't expect any points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

First time I've felt proud to support Utd since Fergie. Long may this continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lord TSC wrote: »
    32 shots. How long would it have taken LvG to get that many :pac:

On MOTD now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

If we get 6 points from next two games I'd be proud but until them we have only beaten teams we should be beaten. Westham and pool gonna be proper tests if we beat them we are in a fantastic position and of we don't we have loads work to do still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Alan Shearer thinks ibra's goal should have stood.

That's that argument cleared up. :D

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    If we get 6 points from next two games I'd be proud but until them we have only beaten teams we should be beaten. Westham and pool gonna be proper tests if we beat them we are in a fantastic position and of we don't we have loads work to do still.

We could barely muster a shot on target against 'beatable' teams last season.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

zerks wrote: »
    Earlier in the season......

https://twitter.com/FutbolSergi/status/779717668534415360
    10 official games for Manchester City under Guardiola, 10 wins. Imagine when he actually "adapts", eh?

And now......:pac::pac::pac:

Stones - £47M
    Sané - £42M
    Jesus - £27M
    Gundogan - £23M
    Nolito - £15M
    Bravo - £15M
    Moreno - £5M
    Rulli - £4M
    Zinchenko - £2M

https://twitter.com/FutbolSergi/status/815276861559283712

Is that AIG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Belittling Pep is like that phrase about the hot girl that turns you down and saying "didn't want her anyway"

Feels really petty. Sorry but I only think fools or little englanders don't rate or give Pep the credit he deserves. It's nonsense stuff saying how lucky he was with the teams he had. It's up there with people who say Jose can only buy success.

limnam wrote: »
    Alan Shearer thinks ibra's goal should have stood.

That's that argument cleared up. :D

Yeah and he described the beauty of the first goal too unlike the commentators stupid "they are resorting to th long ball" comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ollkiller

It's so nice to watch a utd team that actually creates and makes chances again. Last 3 years are but a memory now. Onwards and upwards.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Belittling Pep is like that phrase about the hot girl that turns you down and saying "didn't want her anyway"

Feels really petty. Sorry but I only think fools or little englanders don't rate or give Pep the credit he deserves. It's nonsense stuff saying how lucky he was with the teams he had. It's up there with people who say Jose can only buy success.

Time will tell but only a fool could say he didn't have a stacked deck at both Barca and Bayern.

Neither team he had to do any real work on in terms of building / rebuilding the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

It's a good while since I was so worked up watching a game as towards the end of the game today. It's great watching the team chasing a game now and actually having belief that they're going to do it.

Delighted for the team and delighted for Mourinho. He's done a great job so far. We've finished 2016 looking in the best shape we have for a while. Onwards and upwards for 2017!

Happy new year to you all. Hope 2017 is good to ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

zerks wrote: »
    We could barely muster a shot on target against 'beatable' teams last season.:(

Yeh don't get me wrong I'm chuffed to bits we have made massive improvements we are on another planet compaired to last year but we are still only in sixth place it's nothing to be getting massively proud about either.

I love how the team is looking and that spirit in the team looks fantastic we just need to step it up a level now and do it against the top six teams we are competing against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You know we have some squad if you look at the players that came off the bench today. Best squad in the league I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Time will tell but only a fool could say he didn't have a stacked deck at both Barca and Bayern.

Neither team he had to do any real work on in terms of building / rebuilding the squad.

Sorry but that just shows a total misunderstanding of the situation he inherited at Barca. Many make the same mistake and show ill informed views of that situation, so I guess your not alone there.

"Neither team he had to do any real work on in terms of building / rebuilding the squad" is a bit laughable when you consider what he walked into at Barca : /

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement