Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Drunk or I would stay quiet - I'm a City fan - but Charlton was never loved in the Stretford End, some revisionism going on here.

Kinda similar to the way Rooney is looked on now. Rooney will be a legend in 20 years, no matter what opinions are now.

Its entirely relevant. Both players helped the club to success, but objectively Rooney helped the club to a lot more success than Charlton did, he helped us win more titles, more cups, get to more European cup finals, scored more goals for his country and very soon will have scored more goals for the club. Yet one is a club legend while the other isn't?

Their achievements are definitely comparable so it seems clear that its a case of familiarity breeding contempt. These fans know nothing about Charlton, they didn't watch him week in week out or see his life lived in the 24/7 media glare, he is a just legend from the past and any of his dirty laundry was private laundry. They are judging Rooney warts and all while judging Charlton on the polished legend passed down to them by people who idolised him. Its not really a level playing field.

Is Charlton a bigger legend than Rooney? Probably, club loyalty, Busby Babe and all that stuff does indeed matter. But at the same time, anybody who thinks our record scorer and one of the most successful players in the clubs history isn't also a bit of a legend, is wrong.

I'm not disputing either of them as club legends, or placing one above the other. My point solely was that judging someone's opinion on a player based on whether they were present during the player's era or not is dangerous ground. i.e. "How can you judge Chalton as a player? Sure your father was barely alive when Bobby played never mind you". In that case, the majority of us in here may as well not have opinions on the likes of Pele, Best or Cryuff, probably for a few even Cantona.

You touch on an interesting and important point in the second paragraph though; Those of us (many of us) who weren't there to see Charlton's career unfold in real-time have the benefit of judging the career as a shiny finished product, something complete to conveniently peer at through a window to the past. With Rooney, we are enduring his career with him, the good and the bad, and like any player playing presently, their career is still an unfinished story and product.

In a career like Sir Bobby's, of course the many positives are going to make whatever negatives disappear 40 years later. With Rooney, we have been living it and experiencing it in real-time, in the age of internet discussion. There is more time to celebrate the positives, to dwell/panic/scourge on the negatives, and literally everything is reported and analysed with a player/personality like Rooney. One week/month Rooney could be a hero, the next he could be the villain. That doesn't and will never change with Sir Bobby at this stage. It will be some time before similar context and finality can be applied to Rooney, and that is an unfair disadvantage to him in the Rooney vs Sir Bobby debate.

In 20 years when new fans are wondering and talking about United legends of the past, Rooney will be judged for his overall contribution to the club and its success while he played his best years there, not the fact that he stalled on a contract negotiation or went for a few drinks at the hotel after an England win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

rwbug wrote: »
    Rooney will be a legend in 20 years, no matter what opinions are now.

Is he joining City after all?

Don't make me hack your account zerks and post the match thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I'm predicting a 2.1 win for us with a great performance! Cue 0.5 nil against us. Where is the match thread!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Don't make me hack your account zerks and post the match thread

I'm keeping you in suspense.

zerks wrote: »
    I'm keeping you in suspense.

Too late....a Liverpool fan started the thread
    Doomed from the start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I've the official one up,they can keep their cheap ass fake thread.They seem to love our match threads anyway so maybe they'll be fooled into staying in that one and leave us in peace.:p

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101711696#post101711696

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Yours was merged into that ****ty one.. :pac: we're doomed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Arsenal missing any regulars apart from Bulletin?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Pheonix10 wrote: »

Hopefully Sanchez

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Pheonix10 wrote: »

Missing Bellerin and Santi Cazorla. Sanchez is doubtful,but I'm hopeful that he will be able to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The lads on bein sport are pretty confident that rooney is starting on the bench.

Edit :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Martial starts :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Defence looks a worry. No Mkhitaryan in the squad agsin :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

jayo26 wrote: »

Nice attacking line up there.. makes sense having Darmian on the left too as he would be more defense minded.. can't wait now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Tony V back, business is about to pick up baby.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

astradave wrote: »
    Yours was merged into that ****ty one.. :pac: we're doomed

Merged threads organised by time posted :/
    Defence looks a worry. No Mkhitaryan in the squad agsin :(

Would love to know whats happened, but thats confirmation to me he's done at the club anyway.

Looks like...
    Carrick
    Herrera ---- Pogba
    Mata
    Martial - Rashford

Hopefully they will get in Arsenal's faces,put them under pressure,they will crack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Is Fellaini injured or just ommited?

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Merged threads organised by time posted :/

Would love to know whats happened, but thats confirmation to me he's done at the club anyway.

Looks like...
    Carrick
    Herrera ---- Pogba
    Mata
    Martial - Rashford

No id say it's Carrick and ander deep with mata and Martial out wide and pogba number 10 behind flashford

Weirdly I am quite optimistic after seeing that team. Defence is a weak point but a good, dynamic mid and front team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

[/CENTER]

We have a ridiculous number of games coming up over the next 6 weeks.

I wouldn't read much into a player who's rarely featured and has been unfit all season not making the bench against arsenal.

It's not as if Jose has called up lads from the reserves ahead of him.

Weirdly I am quite optimistic after seeing that team. Defence is a weak point but a good, dynamic mid and front team.

Im not convinced by both teams defences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Who is driving the bus today lads?

Is Fellaini injured or just ommited?

No he is still in Belgium they were doing the mannequin challenge but No1 told him it's over...

Im not convinced by both teams defences

Big Phil disagrees

Who is driving the bus tractor today lads?

fyp

Big Phil disagrees

This must be first time he has started two games in over a year surely?

• Advertisement

This must be first time he has started two games in over a year surely?
    I will always stick up for my best m8 but if he gets a good run of form theirs a great defender to be found

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Attacking wise the team is very promising

Defensively it looks like a disaster waiting to happen the 4 then Carrick shielded them does not give me hope.

I will always stick up for my best m8 but if he gets a good run of form theirs a great defender to be found

I wasn't knocking him im with you on this it's not talent it's his fitness that's the problem but it's still a major achievement for him to be back fit enough to start two games in a row.

The Sky lads really do love Arsenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Sickeningly so

Is the bitter lemon Greame "Sourness" at it again?

Jayop wrote: »
    Sickeningly so
    Is the bitter lemon Greame "Sourness" at it again?

Redknapp is at it now,

The only thing he could say about Utd is how much they have cost

That's why I don't watch games on sky the pundits are pure crap I know I'm biased but at least nevile will admit he is united threw and threw and he tries to be objective and as much as i dislike Carragher he doesn't hide what he he is the rest of them no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It strikes me that once again Mourinho has picked the team that, by and large, the supporters wanted to see. People wanted Rashford to be given a chance up front, there he is. People wanted Carrick to play against big teams, there you go. He could easily have picked Rooney, Young and Felliani and played things tight but he hasn't.

He can't pick the exact team that every single person wants but as I have noted before, if you look at supporters pre-match generally there is a lack of any "WTF" reactions to team selections, something that wasn't the case last season.

Its just something I consider worth remembering when we lose games and go looking for scapegoats.

Its not a penalty but it would be a foul in any other part of the pitch

Its not a penalty but it would be a foul in any other part of the pitch

scratch_head03_idea_animated_animat.gifhow to use print screen

I think it was a penalty just cause he didn't grab hold of him he still put his arm across his body from behind him to attempt to hold him back.

scratch_head03_idea_animated_animat.gifhow to use print screen

I think it was a penalty just cause he didn't grab hold of him he still put his arm across his body from behind him to attempt to hold him back.

I just dont get these decisions at all anymore

If its a foul its a fu*king foul

Monreal falls, sticks the arm out and impedes Valencia.

The problem is that players feel the need to "dive", so to speak, because referees are quite poor at awarding penalties unless they do so. Whatever Valencia does after contact is made, the issue is that contact was made with the intention of stopping him. Its a penalty to me, no questions about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Decent first half. A little light on chances created but very organised defensively and good intent shown to win.

Carrick is anonymous. Yes holding his position and not doing anything stupid but that's about it, no real other influence. Badly missing Fellaini in his place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Monreal falls, sticks the arm out and impedes Valencia.

The problem is that players feel the need to "dive", so to speak, because referees are quite poor at awarding penalties unless they do so. Whatever Valencia does after contact is made, the issue is that contact was made with the intention of stopping him. Its a penalty to me, no questions about it.
    And why is he falling.? Because Valencia is pushing Monreal in the back!

Blatter wrote: »
    Decent first half. A little light on chances created but very organised defensively and good intent shown to win.

Carrick is anonymous. Yes holding his position and not doing anything stupid but that's about it, no real other influence. Badly missing Fellaini in his place.

I think the reason Sanchez is spending of his time coming deep is because of Carrick been there,Arsenal have found it hard to get in to the edge of Utd's box and play them clever passes that they can play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

100% peno. Mariner being Mariner. Decent first half. Agree that Carrick looks anonymous. Not the game to be playing him in.

You've got admire Valencia. Still never a RB and his positional sense is awful but at least he looks something like the player Utd bought originally. Great commitment and pace an the hesitancy seems to have gone from his game.

Sky unbelievably anti Utd this afternoon. Never mind this pre match nonsense, the harping on about Darmien and a possible sending off. Sanchez was booked for a foul on Herrera and then a while later gave away a free for a handball. Not even a peep from them.

Little bit static in peno box without ibra in my opinion. Need his little pass and run techniques

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Martial's passing is atrocious.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement