Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The pieces were already there by and large at Barcelona though, there were some bad apples to remove from the equation sure. By and large the players were there though. He also knew the club inside out which helped him when it came to his younger squad members. What he did at Barcelona deserves so much credit but it is also something of a perfect storm scenario for obvious reasons.

Some poor buys in terms of defenders also led to Masch becoming a full time cb

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The pieces were already there by and large at Barcelona though, there were some bad apples to remove from the equation sure. By and large the players were there though. He also knew the club inside out which helped him when it came to his younger squad members. What he did at Barcelona deserves so much credit but it is also something of a perfect storm scenario for obvious reasons.

Some poor buys in terms of defenders also led to Masch becoming a full time cb

The pieces are by and large, in place at every major club in European football.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

TheDoc wrote: »
    The pieces are by and large, in place at every major club in European football.....

Nah. Having Messi helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Had that Ibra goal been allowed, he would have been joint top goalscorer in 2016 alongside Lionel Messi!!!

F**k sake Lee Mason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Lee Mason was a pain in the arse today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The pieces that Barca had when he took over are at every major European club?

Lollers.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Nah. Having Messi helps.

Of course. But he doesn't even get credit for transforming Messi into the monster we know today.

Messi was something like 2-3 seasons in the frame under Rikjaard, playing on the wing being a bit mercurial.

Guardiola instantly moved him central and created the monster

Happy new year all by the way <3

Rod Munch wrote: »
    The pieces that Barca had when he took over are at every major European club?

Lollers.

Erm yeah.

By the same sentiment you are basically saying Fergie was pretty lucky and a bit of a fraud, because he had the class of '92

Just totally ignoring a manager/coach needs to actually ensure those players perform and reach their potential

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Sand wrote: »
    I would have preferred Pep over Mourinho last summer, I figured he would make better use of the squad as assembled with less turnover. And I still dont trust that Mourinho will be around by season 3 so that seemed important.

However while Mourinho has not been a roaring success results wise (we are where we are in the table, and the win against Sunderland brought him level with Moyes win ratio) and its taken time to find his strongest XI, he actually has been able to make good use of the players there. Both Rojo and Jones have been forged into a strong partnership when even a few months ago most were happy to see the back of both. Mata has been utilised when people were convinced he would be sold. Rooney has been quietly dropped without fanfare. His additions to the squad have been so successful that they are all now seen as key first team players. Guardiola on the other hand has not been able to put together a decent defence from what are individually at least as good players, his big transfers in like Bravo have been mediocre at best and he has picked a number of needless fights with key players.

I wouldn't write Guardiola off and the facts are his team is still 3 points ahead, but Mourinho has seemed to be the manager more willing to compromise and use the squad he has which bodes well for the long term.

What a crock of ****e.,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Erm yeah.

By the same sentiment you are basically saying Fergie was pretty lucky and a bit of a fraud, because he had the class of '92

Just totally ignoring a manager/coach needs to actually ensure those players perform and reach their potential

Fergie was in the job 6 years before the class of 92.

Fergie built and rebuilt the squad on multiple occasions.

Comparing them is ridiculous.

I have never said that Pep was a bad coach.

Far from it.

However he inherited a team with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta among others in it.

Players that have been consistently in the top 10 in the world, year in, year out. One could give him credit but to say he was solely responsible for their development would be ridiculous. There obviously has to be exceptional natural ability there that no amount of coaching can bring.

He went to Bayern.

Easily the top dog in Germany.

He inherited a squad that had just won everything they could win.

It would be difficult for any manager to fcuk up that team in a two horse race.

So I'm not buying him as the messianic person that some think he is.

Yet.

I'm not just posturing when I say I didn't want him ahead of Jose.

I genuinely believe that Jose will win more with us than Pep wins with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Can't believe it we haven't signed anyone yet it's always same why can't we have these things ready to go as soon as window opens. Ed Woodward should be sacked,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    What a crock of ****e.,

Are you a forensic scientist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Puyol, Sergio, Henry, Eto'o, Abidal etc are not in place at every major club in European football.

That first season Eto'o hit 30 in the league and still wasn't the top scorer for the season!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

adox wrote: »
    Are you a forensic scientist?

RY2CNjr.png

Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Puyol, Sergio, Henry, Eto'o, Abidal etc are not in place at every major club in European football.

That first season Eto'o hit 30 in the league and still wasn't the top scorer for the season!

Of course not, but every major club has the parts "by and large" to win their domestic leagues and compete for champions leagues.

It is why they are major clubs. Look at Chelsea this season....Same group of players were a bag of piss last year.

I find managers blown out of proportion as is, but I don't pretend like teams would win things or be great without great coaches/managers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote:
    Can't believe it we haven't signed anyone yet it's always same why can't we have these things ready to go as soon as window opens. Ed Woodward should be sacked,

#SOSforEd
    #prayforwoodie

My favourite thing about the footage of Martial's goal is the stark change of expression on Victor Valdes' face in the space of about 10 seconds...

https://streamable.com/js6mo

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

stankratz wrote: »
    My favourite thing about the footage of Martial's goal is the stark change of expression on Victor Valdes' face in the space of about 10 seconds...

https://streamable.com/js6mo

...and Pogba's long passes are sublime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

zerks wrote: »
    Earlier in the season......

https://twitter.com/FutbolSergi/status/779717668534415360
    10 official games for Manchester City under Guardiola, 10 wins. Imagine when he actually "adapts", eh?

And now......:pac::pac::pac:

Stones - £47M
    Sané - £42M
    Jesus - £27M
    Gundogan - £23M
    Nolito - £15M
    Bravo - £15M
    Moreno - £5M
    Rulli - £4M
    Zinchenko - £2M

https://twitter.com/FutbolSergi/status/815276861559283712

AIG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

If we can jump the hurdle of this West Ham game successfully i'll be thrilled. The following game being Liverpool at home, anything can happen. But just imagine winning both those games! Its a brilliant feeling to think we have a good chance of doing it.

Side Note.....

Whats going on with Borthwick Jackson? Im gonna google him now but I reckon we could have used him over the last few months with Shaw out. Blind and Darmian havent been great in the left back position so we are in need of a proper left back as cover/competition for Shaw.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    32 shots. How long would it have taken LvG to get that many :pac:

Moyes is the real winner, He beats it with 81 crosses

Not many giving Fellini credit. He had a good game yesterday tbf. His chest control is crazy!

https://twitter.com/SemperFiUnited/status/815332216142073857

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I'd hope we get a good bit for Smalling if he went - €20m maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'd hope we get a good bit for Smalling if he went - €20m maybe?

He is surely worth more then that he is an English international defender coming into his prime and is one of the best of them too just prone to a brain fart but he needs to be playing consistently to get the best out of him too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

If John Stones went for 50m...

Are we not in danger of running out of homegrown players if we get rid of Smalling and Rooney? Seems like we are linked with a lot of foreign players and never any English. Should we be worried.

Id want £30 million for Smalling. Otherwise keep him.

I love Joses comments about Martial and his agent

"He needs to listen to me and not his agent"

Best I have seen of Martial all season IMO, such an exciting prospect. But great to see a manager crack the whip and show who's boss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Why would people mention selling Smalling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I love Joses comments about Martial and his agent

"He needs to listen to me and not his agent"

Best I have seen of Martial all season IMO, such an exciting prospect. But great to see a manager crack the whip and show who's boss

Compared him to Mkhitaryan and his agent who was apparently constantly telling Jose, Miki will work harder and is great player etc. If your Martial playing for United and being linked with Sevilla id be sacking my agent. He is one of the best prospects in Europe

Polo_Mint wrote: »

Theres a link above to an article about selling him. Just commenting on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Cause Duncan Castles is a Mendes/Jose mouthpiece and he has mentioned it in his article. He was spot on during the summer too.

Still think Smalling was running to the media after Jose criticised them earlier in the year and Jose is in 2 minds over him. Same with Rooney, let him break the record and then move him on quietly.

Jose must be commended for his handling of the Rooney situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I missed the link...... thanks

I see Valencia and Carrick only have 6 months left on their contracts

I wonder will they get extentions?

Very hard to see why the club wouldn't extend both surely?

Mid-point of the season, Utd have 6 points more than after 19 matches last season. Have 5 wins on the trot now so 15 points from 15, the corresponding time last year was an absolute slump in form with 2 points taken from 15.

Just highlights the slow start this year I guess. I think Utd will keep winning this season though. Lot of confidence now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Smalling benefitted from LVG tactics when the whole team had to defend when the opposition had the ball.
    It made him look better than he actually is.
    It does appear that Jose tactics have been positive for the likes of Jones, Rojo and we have Bailly who is better than Smalling.
    It was clear with yesterday's game that Smalling currently lies in 4th place in the centre back pecking order.
    I was happy when Jose subbed him off for Rojo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Too early imo to say Bailly is better than Smalling. The former's positional sense is still questionable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

39 points would have you top of the league this time last year. We're on 36. Just shows how poor a standard it was last season and the league is getting back to being a league where you can't really afford to drop many points and stay in a race, be it for top 4 or a league.

At the moment I would be confident that we will be challenging for the league next season. It seems like something good is starting to happen.

Results and performances have really picked up since the Europa groups finished. Hopefully the packed schedule doesn't bring more frustration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

http://talksport.com/football/manchester-united-news-jose-mourinho-frustrated-ivory-coast-refuse-request-delay-eric

Bad form not to allow United delay Bailly departing for African nations by 24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

http://talksport.com/football/manchester-united-news-jose-mourinho-frustrated-ivory-coast-refuse-request-delay-eric

Bad form not to allow United delay Bailly departing for African nations by 24 hours.

That **** really angers me. United pay his wages but can't get even 24 hours extra? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Lord TSC wrote: »
    That **** really angers me. United pay his wages but can't get even 24 hours extra? :rolleyes:

Wages aside, would Utd allow it if it was the other way around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It won't matter for long anyway, he'll inevitably fall out with his football federation like 75% of big name African players.

Wages aside, would Utd allow it if it was the other way around?

"wages aside" is a pretty big aside to make, in all fairness.

I can't see why not. I would take a guess and say if Saul comes in I would expect Carrick to be utilized as an experienced bench player. This would be part and parcel of the contract to not expect to play every game at his age.

Valencia is a tougher one to call tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Jose had stated that they'd hope to get carrick to stay for one more season

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2016/Nov/Jose-Mourinho-hints-Michael-Carrick-will-extend-contract-at-United.aspx

Valencia contract situation not as clear but why wouldn't they extend. I assume we'll buy a RB next summer but Tony V would be a good backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Renewing Valencia contract is a must. Physically he doesn't look like slowing down at all, he is now a good right back and I don't think he'd have an issue being back up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Unearthly wrote: »
    Renewing Valencia contract is a must. Physically he doesn't look like slowing down at all, he is now a good right back and I don't think he'd have an issue being back up

Thought he was great yesterday. I've been negative towards Val playing as RB but he's doing a great job.

I still want that new RB but Val would make a great backup

Jose had stated that they'd hope to get carrick to stay for one more season

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2016/Nov/Jose-Mourinho-hints-Michael-Carrick-will-extend-contract-at-United.aspx

Valencia contract situation not as clear but why wouldn't they extend. I assume we'll buy a RB next summer but Tony V would be a good backup.

At a push, maybe he wouldn't be happy with being a backup?

Evra seemed a similar situation; obviously loved the club, but when Shaw came in and it became obvious his game time would be limited, he opted to move elsewhere.

Not saying Val would do the same, but he might opt to move for game time, and/or one final payday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I can't understand the latest love for Rojo. Granted he has done well lately with his partnership with Jones but have they really been tested?
    Rojo is one player I would have been delighted if he was moved on. Think he's a disaster waiting to happen every game.( the 2 red cards that didn't happen,but a lot more examples then that)
    A squad back up player fair enough...but if ye talk about competing for leagues and cups then Rojo is not someone who you would have starting week in week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I can't see why not. I would take a guess and say if Saul comes in I would expect Carrick to be utilized as an experienced bench player. This would be part and parcel of the contract to not expect to play every game at his age.

Valencia is a tougher one to call tho

Saul is more a Herrera type player no? maybe Jose is trying to train Herrera to be the Carrick replacement and bringing Saul in as an allrounder ala Herrera this season.

Martial-Zlatan/Griezmann-Mkhi
    ---Pogba
    Saul

Herrera
    Shaw---Bailly--Jones---Semedo
    DDG

Obviously there is links to Lindelof so he could go in there instead of Jones, with Jones and Rojo being back ups. there will be plenty of matches to rotate players in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement