Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I can't see why not. I would take a guess and say if Saul comes in I would expect Carrick to be utilized as an experienced bench player. This would be part and parcel of the contract to not expect to play every game at his age.

Valencia is a tougher one to call tho

Valencia was excellent again yesterday and can see him being given a new contract. A lot saying right back is a problem area for us I think left back is a bigger issue unless we get Shaw back soon and to his pre injury form.
    Blind we very poor there yesterday and neither Rojo or Darmian are good enough there.
    Also think Baily is going to be a big loss for the month of January especially for the Liverpool game, just dont ave the confidence in Rojo for the big games

I can't understand the latest love for Rojo. Granted he has done well lately with his partnership with Jones but have they really been tested?
    Rojo is one player I would have been delighted if he was moved on. Think he's a disaster waiting to happen every game.( the 2 red cards that didn't happen,but a lot more examples then that)
    A squad back up player fair enough...but if ye talk about competing for leagues and cups then Rojo is not someone who you would have starting week in week out.

Exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I can't understand the latest love for Rojo. Granted he has done well lately with his partnership with Jones but have they really been tested?
    Rojo is one player I would have been delighted if he was moved on. Think he's a disaster waiting to happen every game.( the 2 red cards that didn't happen,but a lot more examples then that)
    A squad back up player fair enough...but if ye talk about competing for leagues and cups then Rojo is not someone who you would have starting week in week out.

As full back he was a disaster, since moving to CB he has looked a player reborn.2 stupid tackles in 2 games but that apart he's been solid and has pace and toughness. Smalling always gave the air of a fella who could switch off at any moment and in this league that is a no no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    I missed the link...... thanks

I see Valencia and Carrick only have 6 months left on their contracts

I wonder will they get extentions?

I'm sure I read last week that Valencia had signed a 2 year extension?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lord TSC wrote: »
    That **** really angers me. United pay his wages but can't get even 24 hours extra? :rolleyes:

I know they don't pay his wages but you can also see it from their point.

Its not Just 24 hrs its to play against Westham if he gets injured in that game it messes up their defence for a tournament they are expected to win.

Again yeh they don't pay the wages but he is either committed to the national team or not it shouldn't be allowed what that Liverpool defender tried to do and pull out of a tournament to stay with his club if your gonna do that just retire from international football.

Its a pain but it's the players choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

RobertKK wrote: »
    Smalling benefitted from LVG tactics when the whole team had to defend when the opposition had the ball.
    It made him look better than he actually is.
    It does appear that Jose tactics have been positive for the likes of Jones, Rojo and we have Bailly who is better than Smalling.
    It was clear with yesterday's game that Smalling currently lies in 4th place in the centre back pecking order.
    I was happy when Jose subbed him off for Rojo.

I don't agree with that at all. Smalling has been Utds best CB over the last 3-4 years, nothing to do with Van Gaals defensive football. He stepped up to the plate and was the leader of the team when they looked rudderless. He is still possibly Utds best CB despite yesterday's error.

I'll be sorry to see him go is he is sold, although if it is for off field stuff then that's fair enough but he will need replacing with a top quality CB.
    Jones can in no way be trusted as a regular due to his injury record and Rojo, despite his recent form just isn't good enough to be a regular first team starter.

We could have a real gem on our hands with Bailly I feel. Although far from the finished article he has all the attributes and attitude to be a top class defender and a regular starter.

No way I can see Smalling leaving without a replacement coming straight in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

SteM wrote: »
    I'm sure I read last week that Valencia had signed a 2 year extension?

According to The Sun.. all the other Papers are taking their story. nothing has been made official

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-united-news-antonio-valencia-signs-two-year-contract-jose-mourinho-a7490081.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Why would people mention selling Smalling?
    He went to the media and Mourinho talked about it and he has only played once since.

He is not as good as a lot of people seem to think. You sold a better defender to West Brom.

I can see Mourinho buying somebody in the summer if not this month. Smalling has no future at United imo with the main reason being the lead to the press. When you do something like that you are putting your own interests above that of the team and I don't think Jose Mourinho will have that going on in his dressing room.

I've always thought that he was overrated and two of my friends who attend five to six home games every year both think the same.

Smalling benefitted from LVG tactics when the whole team had to defend when the opposition had the ball.
    It made him look better than he actually is.
    It does appear that Jose tactics have been positive for the likes of Jones, Rojo and we have Bailly who is better than Smalling.
    It was clear with yesterday's game that Smalling currently lies in 4th place in the centre back pecking order.
    I was happy when Jose subbed him off for Rojo.

Blind came off for Rojo because he was on a yellow, Smalling came off for Rashford.

Newcastle have put in a loan bid for TC23

https://twitter.com/lee_ryder/status/815508225776898049?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

From Champions to championship, thats some drop

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    He went to the media and Mourinho talked about it and he has only played once since.

He is not as good as a lot of people seem to think. You sold a better defender to West Brom.

I can see Mourinho buying somebody in the summer if not this month. Smalling has no future at United imo with the main reason being the lead to the press. When you do something like that you are putting your own interests above that of the team and I don't think Jose Mourinho will have that going on in his dressing room.

I've always thought that he was overrated and two of my friends who attend five to six home games every year both think the same.

Evans is in no way a better cb than Smalling imo. While Smalling has made some mistakes and sometimes gets drawn to th ball, he has pace generally reads the game well, is good in the air and despite his awkward looking carrying of the ball is actually pretty decent at bringing the ball out of defence and picking a pass.

Evans doesn't have the pace of Smalling, is poor in the air and while his distribution can be good, he dawdles on the ball an awful lot which leads to major errors. Utd were right to move him on. He showed potential to be good enough but never fulfilled it and had some horrendous spells at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Lord TSC wrote: »
    At a push, maybe he wouldn't be happy with being a backup?

Evra seemed a similar situation; obviously loved the club, but when Shaw came in and it became obvious his game time would be limited, he opted to move elsewhere.

Not saying Val would do the same, but he might opt to move for game time, and/or one final payday.

No way of knowing I guess until he signs or leaves. Another year at United would have appeal for him too I'm sure. Big club, he has friends there, might pick up a final medal etc

jayo26 wrote: »
    I know they don't pay his wages but you can also see it from their point.

Its not Just 24 hrs its to play against Westham if he gets injured in that game it messes up their defence for a tournament they are expected to win.

Again yeh they don't pay the wages but he is either committed to the national team or not it shouldn't be allowed what that Liverpool defender tried to do and pull out of a tournament to stay with his club if your gonna do that just retire from international football.

Its a pain but it's the players choice.

Yep, if they have the option to pull the player before the game then why wouldn't they? Unfortunate for Utd but you can understand why they're doing it. If they are allowed to then they'd be mad not to.

I fear we will be resorting to Blind at CB again sometime in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I reckon we need to sign 1 or 2 more homegrown players (or promote from youth).

Carrick will be retiring/leaving in another season or 2 and Smalling could be leaving if rumours are true.

astradave wrote: »
    Saul is more a Herrera type player no? maybe Jose is trying to train Herrera to be the Carrick replacement and bringing Saul in as an allrounder ala Herrera this season.

Martial-Zlatan/Griezmann-Mkhi
    ---Pogba
    Saul

Herrera
    Shaw---Bailly--Jones---Semedo
    DDG

Obviously there is links to Lindelof so he could go in there instead of Jones, with Jones and Rojo being back ups. there will be plenty of matches to rotate players in.

Personally I'd hate to see Herrera being shoe horned into that position. He just doesn't have the game for it imo. I'm still convinced Jose will buy his own player for that position. Plus Herrera is much better buzzing around further forward and has a good partnership building with Pogba.

I thought he looked totally out of his depth yesterday playing so deep.

adox wrote: »
    Personally I'd hate to see Herrera being shoe horned into that position. He just doesn't have the game for it imo. I'm still convinced Jose will buy his own player for that position. Plus Herrera is much better buzzing around further forward and has a good partnership building with Pogba.

I thought he looked totally out of his depth yesterday playing so deep.

I wouldn't go that far but he didn't look as comfortable and if I can remember did make one glaring error allowing Boro a very good chance early on.

As I said Saul can play as a DM or CM so that's who I foresee slotting into that position. Leave Pogba and Herrera further forward where they do the most damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

OK I've tried a few searchs but can't find anything...

What did Smalling go to the press about that angered Jose?

despite his awkward looking carrying of the ball is actually pretty decent at bringing the ball out of defence and picking a pass.

No, can't agree with that at all. Even when the opposition give him space to come out with the ball 9/10 he just turns back and gives it to the other CB or full backs.

He's woeful on the ball IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

SteM wrote: »
    Blind came off for Rojo because he was on a yellow, Smalling came off for Rashford.

Watch back on the moments before Smalling came off,he made another mistake and straight away Rashford was called from the bench.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far but he didn't look as comfortable and if I can remember did make one glaring error allowing Boro a very good chance early on.

As I said Saul can play as a DM or CM so that's who I foresee slotting into that position. Leave Pogba and Herrera further forward where they do the most damage

I remember at one point he ran forward and stopped dead in his tracks and was like he said to himself oh **** and ran back to his position, he can't really curb his attacking instincts

zerks wrote: »
    Watch back on the moments before Smalling came off,he made another mistake and straight away Rashford was called from the bench.

Not sure what point you're making. I just said that Smalling came off for Rashford because someone said he came off for Rojo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

LVG signed him as a CB and he was the best of the lot of them in his first season until he dislocated his shoulder. After that there was a system change and he wound up playing LB and never playing CB. Lo and behold he's back to CB now and doing well.

I think his play at LB is overblown as being bad too. Especially considering how much everyone raves about the man incapable of a good cross on the other side of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Herrera had a 94% pass accuracy yesterday. 116 completed passes that was equal to 11.7% of the total possession.

If thats him out of his depth. I can't wait to see him playing well.

I too would rather he play further up pitch though. Fellaini didn't offer as much as Herrera usual does playing that position.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Herrera had a 94% pass accuracy yesterday. 116 completed passes that was equal to 11.7% of the total possession.

If thats him out of his depth. I can't wait to see him playing well.

I too would rather he play further up pitch though. Fellaini didn't offer as much as Herrera usual does playing that position.

I'm not doubting his passing ability, I'm doubting his ability to play as a defensive midfielder. He's not good enough in that position.

Fellaini offers more defensively in that role than Herrera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I don't agree, Mourinho clearly wants whoever is playing that role to dictate the play. Something Fellaini isnt good at that at all he slows the game down more than anything imo.

If Mourinho wanted a destroyer in there then Fellaini is your man of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

OK I've tried a few searchs but can't find anything...

What did Smalling go to the press about that angered Jose?

Anyone fill me in?

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I don't agree, Mourinho clearly wants whoever is playing that role to dictate the play. Something Fellaini isnt good at that at all he slows the game down more than anything imo.

If Mourinho wanted a destroyer in there then Fellaini is your man of course.

But he has Herrera and Pogba further up to dictate the play. I keep repeating myself but I think Jose will buy his own player for that position.

I'm not doubting his passing ability, I'm doubting his ability to play as a defensive midfielder. He's not good enough in that position.

The key responsibilities of playing Carrick role is to sit in front of the back four and protect them and prevent counter attacks and to pass the ball without giving it away.

They had two shots on goal yesterday and scored from one that was a fuk up from our defenders I do not know what more ander could do defensively.

If I was to critique him on anything it is to stop the long range efforts from outside the box and lay it out wide and just sit deeper every other way he did a proper Carrick performance he protected and passed its that simple we don't need anything else.

He musnt really when Jose decided to move Herrera back rather than just slot Fellani straight in for Carrick. Think jose knows better

Anyone fill me in?

As far as I can remember there were unspecific utterings from Jose earlier in the season about players running to the press but no one was actually named so I guess that's where people are itting Smalling in.

I stand to be corrected though.

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »
    Think jose knows better

Following that logic no team selection should be questioned because Jose knows better. :confused:

I'm giving my opinion.

The key responsibilities of playing Carrick role is to sit in front of the back four and protect them and prevent counter attacks and to pass the ball without giving it away.

They had two shots on goal yesterday and scored from one that was a fuk up from our defenders I do not know what more ander could do defensively.

If I was to critique him on anything it is to stop the long range efforts from outside the box and lay it out wide and just sit deeper every other way he did a proper Carrick performance he protected and passed its that simple we don't need anything else.

I'm repeating myself but I don't think Herrera is good defensively to protect th back four and is wasted there. In fact as I've stated previously I don't think he's good enough defensively to play in a midfield two. Further forward in a midfield three is his ideal position.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The talk is if Lindelof arrives, Smalling is sold.

He musnt really when Jose decided to move Herrera back rather than just slot Fellani straight in for Carrick.

How about when Jose played Fellaini there earlier in the season? Was Fellaini better than Herrera defensively then and not now? I'm trying to follow your logic on it.
    Fellaini still started. There could be a multitude of reasons that Jose set the team up the way he did yesterday.

The talk is if Lindelof arrives, Smalling is sold.

Has anyone seen him play? I haven't seen anything of him(hadn't even heard of him)

I'm repeating myself but I don't think Herrera is good defensively to protect th back four and is wasted there. In fact as I've stated previously I don't think he's good enough defensively to play in a midfield two. Further forward in a midfield three is his ideal position.

U don't need to repeat yourself i know what you ment I'm just giving my opinion that he couldn't do anymore defensively yesterday and people are saying he was out of his depth.

He had a good game yesterday even by Carrick standards and his stats for the year show him to be as good defensively as Kante one of the best in that position so I'd argue against you and say over the course if the first 19 games he has shown he is good enough.

Following that logic no team selection should be questioned because Jose knows better. :confused:

I'm giving my opinion.

Its rreally not a difficult selection. Herrera is a much better tackler and ball player for the position compared to Fellani. Dont honestly see Fellani having much of a future if we bring in a another middle of the park player. Even yesterday w would have been better playing Mata r Mikateryan in midfield .. for me Fellani offered nothing yesterday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

As far as I can remember there were unspecific utterings from Jose earlier in the season about players running to the press but no one was actually named so I guess that's where people are itting Smalling in.

I stand to be corrected though.

Yeah. There appeared to be leaks from within the team, and to a journalist typically friendly with the English camp. Leanings about players being unhappy with Jose and his management style. Smalling's time has been very limited since then. Plus, iirc. There was an "injury" that Jose called bs on publically and Smalling (/ Smalling's agent) publically denied to.

Has anyone seen him play? I haven't seen anything of him(hadn't even heard of him)

He played against Ireland, saw him play on BT in a comfortable 2-0 win recently.

On MUTV they said Zlatan is a big fan and has been raving about him.

U don't need to repeat yourself i know what you ment I'm just giving my opinion that he couldn't do anymore defensively yesterday and people are saying he was out of his depth.

He had a good game yesterday even by Carrick standards and his stats for the year show him to be as good defensively as Kante one of the best in that position so I'd argue against you and say over the course if the first 19 games he has shown he is good enough.

We will agree to disagree so.

Look I really like Herrera and see him as an automatic starter in the team, just alongside Pogba rather than deeper.

• Advertisement

How about when Jose played Fellaini there earlier in the season? Was Fellaini better than Herrera defensively then and not now? I'm trying to follow your logic on it.
    Fellaini still started. There could be a multitude of reasons that Jose set the team up the way he did yesterday.

If he was that good earlier in the season then why didn't Jose persist with him and how come our firm has improved so much since Carrick has replaced him.
    IV said it before no team would win the . league with Fellani being a permanent starter in their team.
    Hes just a mid table team player

Its rreally not a difficult selection. Herrera is a much better tackler and ball player for the position compared to Fellani. Dont honestly see Fellani having much of a future if we bring in a another middle of the park player. Even yesterday w would have been better playing Mata r Mikateryan in midfield .. for me Fellani offered nothing yesterday

Ah look there's no point in discussing of you think Fellaini offers nothing.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/unhappy-manchester-united-boss-jose-9285292.amp?client=safari

That was not good for Smalling, he had a broken toe, but reading what Jose said it implies who the source was.

If he was that good earlier in the season then why didn't Jose persist with him and how come our firm has improved so much since Carrick has replaced him.
    IV said it before no team would win the . league with Fellani being a permanent starter in their team.
    Hes just a mid table team player

How come Jose didn't pick Herrera over Fellaini in that position earlier in the season? What's Carrick got to do with it?

What's Fellaini being a permanent starter in the team got to do with what we are discussing re DM?

Ah look there's no point in discussing of you think Fellaini offers nothing.

Thats fine wIth me.
    I do agree with you that Jose will go for a replacement fir Carrick and Saul would be a top class player fir the position as Pogba and Herrera do seem to gel well together further forward

How come Jose didn't pick Herrera over Fellaini in that position earlier in the season? What's Carrick got to do with it?

What's Fellaini being a permanent starter in the team got to do with what we are discussing re DM?

Obviously Jose was trying to establish his best 11. Nothing unusual about that ..you know new manager.New club getting to know the players .., pretty standard stuff for a new manager to do I would have thought.

Carrick has everything to do with it .... He has come in and Fellani has been droped.
    You are the one saying Fellani is a defensive midfielder I'm saying hes nothing resembling a defensive midfuelder

Obviously Jose was trying to establish his best 11. Nothing unusual about that ..you know new manager.New club getting to know the players .., pretty standard stuff for a new manager to do I would have thought.

Carrick has everything to do with it .... He has come in and Fellani has been droped.
    You are the one saying Fellani is a defensive midfielder I'm saying hes nothing resembling a defensive midfuelder

No I said Fellaini is better defensively than Herrera as a DM when I said I didn't think Herrera was good enough to play the role. I didn't say he is a defensive midfielder and have stated that I think Jose will buy for that position.

No I said Fellaini is better defensively than Herrera as a DM when I said I didn't think Herrera was good enough to play the role. I didn't say he is a defensive midfielder and have stated that I think Jose will buy for that position.

Fair enough.
    While we are on it who do you see him trying buy fir the position ?

Fair enough.
    While we are on it who do you see him trying buy fir the position ?

I honestly don't know and I've nothing to base the opinion on other than it's always been a very important position in a Jose team and I don't think we have a player for that position.

• Advertisement

No sign of spurs dropping points :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement