Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Of all the games we dropped points in the Arsenal game is the hardest to take. I think we will end up competing with them and spurs for the 4th place.
    Also as it stands we have more games to play between now and the end of the season compared to the 5 teams above us. I know this can change but you would till expect us to progress in the 3 cup competitions and see arsenal going out of the CL this round.
    Will need an injury free couple of months I think to nail that CL spot be it 4th or winning the EL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Zaha is a fool. He spends so much of his time trying to create fouls instead of just playing the ball. Its like he is obsessed with trying to draw a player onto him to then fall over.

Arsenal have this won now. Palace are bad.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Zaha is a fool. He spends so much of his time trying to create fouls instead of just playing the ball. Its like he is obsessed with trying to draw a player onto him to then fall over.

Arsenal have this won now. Palace are bad.

They do looked absolutely shattered though and Arsenal playing well tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What's the story with Welbeck? Injured or just not good enough to get in their squad?

J. Marston wrote: »
    What's the story with Welbeck? Injured or just not good enough to get in their squad?

just recently back training from a long lay off

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

adox wrote: »
    "Our scorpion goal was better than yours.." :pac:

They're scorpion goals. They were both ****ing epic!

Exactly this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Utd had to suffer some shocking refereeing in 2016. Hopefully 2017 will see an improvement in officiating.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Its great that run of wins has got us back in the hunt for the CL spots,

Just have to keep the foot on the gas now tomorrow keep the pressure on the teams ahead of us.

I think Jones and Rojo recently have been as good as Smalling and Blind on their good days last season. Though I'd give Jones and Rojo more credit because the current tactics are less defence minded than the system Smalling and Blind were deployed in.

They all have certain strengths but lack something crucial that would put them in the Vidic, Ferdinand, Stam class of defender.

I can see at least one of them being moved on. Smalling and Blind probably have the strongest shouts to stay at the moment but it could be a different story by the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Its great that run of wins has got us back in the hunt for the CL spots,

Just have to keep the foot on the gas now tomorrow keep the pressure on the teams ahead of us.

Yep. Need to put ourselves in a position where taking something from that Liverpool game isn't completely necessary.

I think we will have a really good end to the season but I think we might just miss out because the teams around us are picking up wins at a similar rate. That October period hit us harder than it would have in a normal year. As much as it hurts us at times, we need to be going balls out in the EL as well. Potential CL spot for us there too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/814223262410481664

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/815630175018876928

Simon Stone
    @sistoney67
    In last 4 Prem round, top 6 have played 20 games against teams outside it + dropped 8 pts. W 17 D 1 (Liv v WHU) L 2 (Ever v Ars + LC v MC).

Simon Stone
    @sistoney67
    Simon Stone Retweeted Simon Stone

Make that 24 games in last 5 rounds. Now W21 D1 L2. What happened to league evening itself up with new TV cash?

I honestly think we will finish ahead of City and Spurs at this stage. I would probably put Arsenal in there too but they are masters of finishing seasons strong and can probably stay ahead of us.

All of our players seem to be coming into form for the second half of the season. If we get ourselves in front of the teams above us I think we'll stay there till the end. Jose's experience will count in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Think Mick's goal was better. Much hard to get the right contact to beat the keeper.ll,

Yep. Need to put ourselves in a position where taking something from that Liverpool game isn't completely necessary.

Unless you want to concede Liverpool and Chelsea running off into the distance the game against the scousers is a 'must win' for Utd, regardless of how things go tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

At least Micky Ryan targaryans didn't need the cross bar to assist it in its way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Korat wrote: »
    Unless you want to concede Liverpool and Chelsea running off into the distance the game against the scousers is a 'must win' for Utd, regardless of how things go tomorrow.

Confident we'll beat Liverpool.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The pause in the Europa League has helped United. Have to deal with it much better in the new year to have any chance of a good league Finish. Chelsea and Liverpool don't have those problems. Arsenal probably won't for much longer either.

United have to pick up 15 out of the next 18 points at least in Premier League before Europa starts.

In March, Europa League would add two fixtures while progress to the League Cup Final would mean the City game moving to a new Date.

April already has 6 fixtures scheduled, if United are still in Europa at Qtr Finals it would mean 8 games in the month. Any FA cup run would mean a league game moving to May where the (if they are still in it) Europa Semi Finals would be taking place.

United could do with a signing or two if Morgan and Memphis leave as expected.

Right time for some blind optimism our 22 league game winning run starts today with A josesque 2-0 win.

1 down 21 to go

5 down 17 to go ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The top 6 wins against the lower teams stats would suggest that in the main the only points that the others will drop will be against each other. We therefore need to keep winning all those games against the lower 14 and then take points of the other sin the top 6.

Apart from the Spurs result, the run we are on is less impressive when viewed in that context (still way better that in previous years)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

RobertKK wrote: »
    20 goals in his last 22 away games.

7 league goals excluding penalties this season. It's very good, not beast level though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Draw with Liverpool would not be the end of the world. Obviously I'd like 3 points but both teams are in very good form so it's hard to call that match.

Draw with Liverpool would not be the end of the world. Obviously I'd like 3 points but both teams are in very good form so it's hard to call that match.

Winning these games with LVG was futile because we then couldn't do what we've just done to Boro.

If we win tomorrow a draw would be ok for us, as you alluded to earlier.

However if anyone is going to cut them off at the knees it will be us so lets go for them. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

Miki won Dec goal of the month with his scorpion goal. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

secman wrote: »

Well nothing else came close in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Not sure how reliable Abola are

http://abola.pt/clubes/ver.aspx?t=3&id=648429

About announcement is imminent about the sale of Lindelof to UTD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Well nothing else came close in fairness.

Nothing much would in the majority of months either! Well deserved despite the "hint" of offside :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

adox wrote: »
    I'm not doubting his passing ability, I'm doubting his ability to play as a defensive midfielder. He's not good enough in that position.

Fellaini offers more defensively in that role than Herrera.

I have seen some good stuff from Herrera from deeper, signs that he could very well play that role to a good level. I would be torn though because I like him a little freer to get forward but from what I have seen I would be confident he could develop into a very good DM.

I think he reads the game quite well and can cover the ground, has plenty of bite about him and is a good passer. Technically he has quick enough feet for the role too and though he is not massive he is not easy to shove off the ball.

Ultimately I would like him to have license to get forward more then a DM role would allow so think it would be better to bring in a more direct replacement for Carrick though I would also have my worries that Herrera is good enough long term to play the role he is right now anyway, that he will be upgraded on in the near future and he is such a lovable character that giving him a shot at the DM role might be best in the long run for him...

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Any criticism of Smalling based on yesterday is a bit OTT also imo. Players tend to be good for a lapse or a mistake or two when they are playing their first game for some time. It isn't something unusual and he was not made to look good by a system, he has always had it in him. In his first season at the club he showed his potential, he then went through a **** ton of injury problems and has been playing very well since he shook them off.

I am sure his future is in his own hands, if he gives Jose what he wants he will be a mainstay for years, this will come from his attitude off the pitch. It isn't surprising either that he has found it tough to get back in to the team given the run of form and the stupidity of breaking up a good partnership in the spine of the team when you need that consistency.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Confident we'll beat Liverpool.

Priority numero uno is West Ham.

Don't beat them then it most likely doesn't matter what happens against the Scouse.

Ideal scenario is win win.

More than happy scenario is win draw.

We aren't in the title race.

They aren't going to be scrapping for 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Priority numero uno is West Ham.

Don't beat them then it most likely doesn't matter what happens against the Scouse.

Ideal scenario is win win.

More than happy scenario is win draw.

We aren't in the title race.

They aren't going to be scrapping for 4th.

Two bad results and that's exactly where they could be. We could be going into the game against them as little as 4 behind.

Jayop wrote: »
    Two bad results and that's exactly where they could be. We could be going into the game against them as little as 4 behind.

Us vs the hammers.

Them vs Sunderland.

There's wishful thinking and there is blind optimism amigo!

With some luck spurs will lose against Chelsea and Liverpool will struggle against relegation fodder as they have done.

Us vs the hammers.

Them vs Sunderland.

Really? Who have they lost to this season? Not exactly been great sides so there's always a chance that they can have some bad luck and maybe one of our refs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Us vs the hammers.

Them vs Sunderland.

Josh to nutmeg Firmino and cross to Borini who scores and runs to away fans to unveil a tee shirt that says "drink driving Kills"

Jayop wrote: »
    With some luck spurs will lose against Chelsea and Liverpool will struggle against relegation fodder as they have done.

Most viable result is spurs losing. Chelsea much fresher as the fixture list has suited them.
    Can't see Liverpool dropping points to a struggling sunderland

Any criticism of Smalling based on yesterday is a bit OTT also imo. Players tend to be good for a lapse or a mistake or two when they are playing their first game for some time. It isn't something unusual and he was not made to look good by a system, he has always had it in him. In his first season at the club he showed his potential, he then went through a **** ton of injury problems and has been playing very well since he shook them off.

I am sure his future is in his own hands, if he gives Jose what he wants he will be a mainstay for years, this will come from his attitude off the pitch. It isn't surprising either that he has found it tough to get back in to the team given the run of form and the stupidity of breaking up a good partnership in the spine of the team when you need that consistency.

I think he's as good as he gets now. Not the worst defender at the club but Bailly at 22 shows the standard Utd should be aiming for.

I think he's as good as he gets now. Not the worst defender at the club but Bailly at 22 shows the standard Utd should be aiming for.

He may be as good as he gets, though I wouldn't bank on it. Either way I would be of the opinion he is good enough anyway.

He and Bailly could be a good partnership actually. Bailly is a little wreckless in terms of diving in and positional sense, Smalling could compensate for that quite well in theory with his calmness and reading of the game (which is improving all the time)

I love Bailly, but I do think some people are getting a bit ahead of themselves with him, he has shown great passion and is that blood and guts defender we all love but a foil is needed for those kind of players and someone in the mould of Smalling would seem to be a good fit for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Usain from Jamaica on the phone...

https://twitter.com/manutd/status/815249471302864896

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

This is the kind of day where we need to wrap up this game before the 60 minute mark.

There's gonna be a lot of tired legs out there I reckon and we all know our luck this season being just 1 nil up.

Perhaps this is why Jose rotated his defence against Boro. Need fresh legs back there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I wouldn't be overly disappointed with a draw. Of course ideally we need a win but playing West Ham away has always been a tricky fixture and a bit of a bogey game. I'm hoping the change of venue will be a good omen and of course for a win but unlike the game at the weekend I don't feel this is all or nothing for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Imo this is the kind of game we need to win because: 1. Great opportunity to close the gap with Spurs who play Chelsea. 2. Need confidence going into next PL match vs Liverpool who are flying atm

We will win today. I can feel it in my bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Huge game today. Was looking at the fixtures for the rest of the season this morning and it is difficult to see where the rest of the top 6 are dropping points when they're not playing each other. There's definitely a greater gap in quality this season between the top 5/6 and the rest of the league than there has been in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Unlike Arsenal fans,we actually have match threads.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102126792#post102126792

• Advertisement

Folks, I'm hoping to head over to a game this season.

Mrs RM is due mid April so the only realistic one is Watford on the 11th of February.

I've put up a request in the ticket thread but are there any sites out there that are reliable for tix?

Not sure how many I need, probably 2 or 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Huge game today. Was looking at the fixtures for the rest of the season this morning and it is difficult to see where the rest of the top 6 are dropping points when they're not playing each other. There's definitely a greater gap in quality this season between the top 5/6 and the rest of the league than there has been in recent years.

I think last seasons utter mediocrity from the big clubs focused the minds.
    Points will be dropped though no doubt. We are just going through a spell of the most teams performing. Everyone will have dips. Hell it wasn't so long ago that people were questioning Conte because of poor results. City were being tipped as run away winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

C1HrxmIXgAAQ1vq.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

secman wrote: »

Although January I thought Girouds goal was slightly better.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Although January I thought Girouds goal was slightly better.

This was the best :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement