Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Realistically we aren't going to make up 10 points on Chelsea in the next 18 games, They would need to have 5 or 6 hiccups and we would need to be almost perfect. Liverpool have a run in that's similar to the one we've had lately and with a weeks rest and the right mindset could win all of their last 6 or 7 games.

I applaud anyone who can confidently say Liverpool and Chelsea will fall back into the chasing pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Haven't seen Girouds celebration but is it that big an issue to celebrate a comeback like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Realistically we aren't going to make up 10 points on Chelsea in the next 18 games, They would need to have 5 or 6 hiccups and we would need to be almost perfect. Liverpool have a run in that's similar to the one we've had lately and with a weeks rest and the right mindset could win all of their last 6 or 7 games.

I applaud anyone who can confidently say Liverpool and Chelsea will fall back into the chasing pack.

Spurs beat them and it's 10 points.
    We beat them and it's 7 points.

We'd need them to drop 7 more points than us. Not insurmountable but very very unlikely.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Haven't seen Girouds celebration but is it that big an issue to celebrate a comeback like that?

Yeah, there was 5 minutes to go and the opposition was a man down. They were all over them like a rash and could easily have scored again. Instead of getting the ball and looking for a winner he went off running like Pheope from friends towards the Arsenal fans. One of his team mates actually ran into the crowd. Wasted at least 30 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Jayop wrote: »
    Yeah, there was 5 minutes to go and the opposition was a man down. They were all over them like a rash and could easily have scored again. Instead of getting the ball and looking for a winner he went off running like Pheope from friends towards the Arsenal fans. One of his team mates actually ran into the crowd. Wasted at least 30 seconds.

All the while the 7 or 8 other players where screaming at them to come back, he realised and his face dropped and he ran back hastily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Liverpool possibly, though I suspect its unlikely, Chelsea though, I genuinely cannot see them bottling it. They have a super squad, decent cover players for rotation, no European distraction and a manager that has them playing some brilliant football.

I think it will finish

Chelsea
    LFC
    City
    United
    Arsenal
    Spurs

Just watched it over on r/Soccer , Gabriel was the one that ran into the fans.. Ox ran over to try drag them back, camera pans to the rest of them telling them to come on the ****.. Hilarious :D

One of those teams and their position/form is not like the other. Because of that, I think it is quite possible to catch-up and overtake Liverpool.

They're doing very well and should be Top 4 certainties, but their squad depth is a potential timebomb for them. If United beat them at OT next weekend, they're back in the chasing pack.

Chelsea - Forget about it.

We should be all over that one, would be ideal

https://twitter.com/hashim0307/status/816421323178213376?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Coming from this report, saying inter want him in june and Bayern also in the frame, Hash is just being a typical Juve fan.

https://twitter.com/DiMarzio/status/816420383960207360

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Liverpool possibly, though I suspect its unlikely, Chelsea though, I genuinely cannot see them bottling it. They have a super squad, decent cover players for rotation, no European distraction and a manager that has them playing some brilliant football.

I think it will finish

Chelsea
    LFC
    City
    United
    Arsenal
    Spurs

United will finish second

Fair enough. Assumed it was closer to 3. I just thought it was a bit harsh comparing the situation with Martials reaction a few days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The way I look at it United would need Chelsea to have a huge drop in form while they would need to be near flawless .I'd rather Chelsea win tomorrow night and let United continue to work away and get top 4 first of all and then hopefully go for second place.
    Maybe thats a bad mentality to have but I think any talk of a title is nuts.
    If United can't win the league I don't mind who wins it as long as it aint Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Yeah Id be the same in wishing for a Chelsea win tomorrow. Spurs are the dark horse in the race for top 4. Arsenal have Swansea away next. Possible new manager boost to annoy Wenger even more.

Its really all gonna kick off if Everton beat City and we beat Pool.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Why are you sniffing around the Man United Thread?

oh I posted an article about a former manager making stupid statements but he did have a funny quote. then I saw someone post a link to red and white kop and thought it was a bit cringey, ya know, scouring the internet for sh*tposts from fans who probably have no idea boards.ie exists in order to laugh at them and commented on that and I seem to have awoken the whole thread who are 'united' :p in making sure that me pointing out that its kind of pathetic is actually pathetic.

I'll take this loss though, God forbid if I was to mention its a draw :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Pep Guardiola: "We don't have the history with this shirt of Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern Munich or Manchester United, not their titles"
    "It is about being in Europe over the next decade, to be in the Champions League every year. That's more important...."

Be nice if they finished 6th...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Liverpool need to sign at least 3 quality players in GK, CB and striker if they are going to be in with a shout of winning the league imo. Not going to happen with Karius/Mig, Lovren/Klavan and Origi/Firmino(though i do like both players) as first choice in their positions. Debatable too whether the likes of Can and Henderson are the required standard for their CM. Milner has done well at LB but also should be looking to be improved on.

The weeks rest should stop the Klopp burnout this time round but Chelsea too have no Europe and a better quality and deeper squad. They've done very well to be where they are but there are too many weak links in their squad at the moment for me to consider them as potential winners. Leicester did it last season I guess but that was an anomaly. They need to go big this month, there's no reason why they shouldn't given the opportunity they have.

Chelsea don't need a huge drop off in form for us to catch them, our biggest cause in dropping of points was not the losses but too many draws.

I rather Spurs win or draw tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

RobertKK wrote:
    Chelsea don't need a huge drop off in form for us to catch them, our biggest cause in dropping of points was not the losses but too many draws.

I think they need the very definition of a huge drop off in form :confused:

RobertKK wrote: »

I rather Spurs win or draw tomorrow.

10 points ahead of United and a game in hand.United would need a near perfect second half of the season and still need Chelsea to capitulate,it's not a brittle team/manager like Keegans Newcastle side.Nearly every Chelsea player has been involved in title wins and know the story.

I don't think it's impossible given the possibility that any of the top 6 could take maximum points off this Chelsea side but I do think it's highly unlikely.

I'd be happier to reduce the risk of united missing out on CL next season and the implications this may have at the cost of another season without a title.

• Advertisement

I think they need the very definition of a huge drop off in form :confused:

Number of games the top 6 lost:
    Chelsea 2
    Liverpool 2
    Spurs 2
    Arsenal 3
    United 3
    City 4

Number of games the top 5 drew:
    Chelsea 1
    City 3
    Liverpool 5
    Arsenal 5
    Spurs 6
    United 6

Chelsea and Spurs have 57 points to play for.
    The rest 54.
    Anything can still happen. Costa could get injured.

If Spurs were to win, 10 points is not impossible.
    United are the only team to not have lost points in the gap to Chelsea over the previous 6 games.

Updated form guide last 6 games and points earned:
    1, Chelsea 18
    2. United 18
    3. Spurs 15
    4. Liverpool 14
    5. City 12
    6. Everton 10
    7. Arsenal 10

Spurs only loss was to us in that run. Later today will tell a lot.
    United have to keep aiming for the title even if it doesn't happen. They can't choose to believe it is impossible when every team have so many points to play for.

yabadabado wrote: »
    10 points ahead of United and a game in hand.United would need a near perfect second half of the season and still need Chelsea to capitulate,it's not a brittle team/manager like Keegans Newcastle side.Nearly every Chelsea player has been involved in title wins and know the story.

Wanting a Chelsea win is people doubting United against the rest of our rivals in the top 6.

We currently have top 2 form.
    The last time we won 6 PL games in a row was in April 2011.

What do ye make of the rumours United want Diarra?
    I have seen very little of him in the last few seasons but he's a player Jose knows and be a good addition to the squad.
    Morgan will be gone soon so Diarra mightnt be a bad low cost/low risk squad player to have around.

One or two of these type signings could make a big difference over the second half of the season.

Wanting a Chelsea win is people doubting United against the rest of our rivals in the top 6.

We currently have top 2 form.
    The last time we won 6 PL games in a row was in April 2011.
    These stats don't tell a whole lot without context and they give little indication of our title winning credentials.

An overly optimistic view of our current position seems not so different to the overly pessimistic view that a lot had a few months ago when we experienced our worst ever start to a PL season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

An overly optimistic view of our current position seems not so different to the overly pessimistic view that a lot had a few months ago when we experienced our worst ever start to a PL season.

Indeed. Things have improved and I expect them to improve even further over the next 12 months, but we are not world beaters yet and we are going to lose and draw games in the very near future, so talk of title challenges are very optimistic.

I don't even rate most of the challengers all that highly and if we maintain our form I think we will easily bypass a few of them, but we just won't catch all of them.

Of course, when we do lose a few games people will be back to calling the manager pathetic again and fearing for top four, same as it ever was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

If someone offered top 4 I'd snap their hand off. I think title talk is fanciful.

Jose has us playing football that's enjoyable to watch and that's a fair shock to the system after the dross we've been subjected to since fergie retired.

I'd take 4th and a champions league spot as that would be real progress in one season and have a cut off the title next season.

BMMachine wrote: »
    oh I posted an article about a former manager making stupid statements but he did have a funny quote. then I saw someone post a link to red and white kop and thought it was a bit cringey, ya know, scouring the internet for sh*tposts from fans who probably have no idea boards.ie exists in order to laugh at them and commented on that and I seem to have awoken the whole thread who are 'united' :p in making sure that me pointing out that its kind of pathetic is actually pathetic.

I'll take this loss though, God forbid if I was to mention its a draw :pac:

You made a massive Tit of yourself so go ahead and take you and the tail between your legs back to your own thread.

If someone offered top 4 I'd snap their hand off. I think title talk is fanciful.

Jose has us playing football that's enjoyable to watch and that's a fair shock to the system after the dross we've been subjected to since fergie retired.

I'd take 4th and a champions league spot as that would be real progress in one season and have a cut off the title next season.

Of course title talk is fanciful. It's madness and those who are talking it are mad. I was talking about it earlier today and honestly i don't think it's possible but I'm programmed over 25 years to assume we're in the race till we're not. 3 **** years won't make those habits die.

These stats don't tell a whole lot without context and they give little indication of our title winning credentials.

Some people were frustrated, but Jose has found proper solutions to win since then.

We have some who post as if the top 4 is going to be a struggle, they talk in fear of Liverpool, would rather United had no hope of the title by wanting Chelsea to stay winning due to this fear, and just generally seem to have a lack of confidence in United.
    I think Jose has removed this losing mentality from the team.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

You made a massive Tit of yourself so go ahead and take you and the tail between your legs back to your own thread.

Yeah I was just about to head over to unitedcafe (is that one?) and have a look through there for Liverpool related threads to post and then laugh at. Not in fact talk about Liam O's post below. But hey, whatever way you wanna get your rocks off thats fine, I'll try not to remind you too much of reality
    Liam O wrote:
    Liverpool need to sign at least 3 quality players in GK, CB and striker if they are going to be in with a shout of winning the league imo. Not going to happen with Karius/Mig, Lovren/Klavan and Origi/Firmino(though i do like both players) as first choice in their positions. Debatable too whether the likes of Can and Henderson are the required standard for their CM. Milner has done well at LB but also should be looking to be improved on.

The weeks rest should stop the Klopp burnout this time round but Chelsea too have no Europe and a better quality and deeper squad. They've done very well to be where they are but there are too many weak links in their squad at the moment for me to consider them as potential winners. Leicester did it last season I guess but that was an anomaly. They need to go big this month, there's no reason why they shouldn't given the opportunity they have.

I'd largely agree with this - our keeper and current defence isn't good enough to win the league. I think up front though we are fine, goals aren't an issue but mental strength can be and we slip pretty badly at times with extremely sloppy and unfocused play (Bournemouth, Sunderland). I think Chelsea are too much of a well oiled machine and with a deeper and better squad than us. Firmino blows too hot and cold and has that awful habit of going invisible sometimes in games. Klavan is cover and I think Matip and Milner have been excellent so far. Clyne in a weird way is a necessary evil - he can lapse at the back but hes such a good option going forward and is actually crucial to attacking play. Milner is kinda the same but reads and tracks runs a lot better, as well as intercepting. Lovern... Im still not settled on, he can make things either look so easy or he can make so much hard work for himself, kinda the same with Mignolet - you are always waiting for the clanger :s Henderson is perfectly good in midfield though, I dunno how you can think otherwise. Hes been one of the best in the league this season. Can though yeah, I agree that hes too much of a liability - same problem as Lovern and Mignolet, always something in the post.

In all, if I had to bet on it - I'd go Chelsea everytime but I'd be very comfortable in betting on us to get top 4 and at that 2 or 3. Those top 6 positions I feel are going to be tighter than they have been for a long time.

• Advertisement

My prediction is we finish a minimum 2nd place.

Some people were frustrated, but Jose has found proper solutions to win since then.

We have some who post as if the top 4 is going to be a struggle, they talk in fear of Liverpool, would rather United had no hope of the title by wanting Chelsea to stay winning due to this fear, and just generally seem to have a lack of confidence in United.
    People were more than frustrated not so long ago.

While I wouldn't devalue the sense of positivity that comes with a good run of results I'd also be cautious to put too much weight in it.

If we were steam rolling teams and looking invincible then I'd be a lot more confident going into the second half of the season but that's not the case.

It's all on a knife edge at the moment but exciting times lie ahead.

All I'm saying is looking at the results of the last 6 games in isolation is dangerous. Is it the dawn of a new era of success at united or just some good fortune during a run of games against mostly poor teams? The reality is probably somewhere in between.

I dont think its fear of other teams it's just being realistic imo.
    Sure United have put together a nice run of 6 wins but 4 of those games were against bottom half teams and only Spurs was against a team ahead in the standings.
    It's enjoyable watching United again and long may it continue but this side is still 10 points of the lead and I think talk of a title challenge is very premature.

We all want United back winning titles but it's a step to far yet imo but the improvement is great to see .

Bmwatever you're literally posting in a United thread so talk of unitedcafe or whatever is meaningless. Irony is lost on you clearly so there's no reason to try to explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

To think what Jose has done already in half a season and one transfer window. I literally hated watching United last season. Dire football with no plan B if they go behind. Frustrating as f*ck.

The type of football on display is a joy to watch, there is a steel back in players mindsets and the team are playing like an actual team. I am excited as hell as to what more he will bring. However talk of a title push are premature, lets push for top 3 and see where it takes us. With CL football on offer next season I am excited about who he will target next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

While we have been on a great run, the reality is that its been against teams that we should be beating in the main and we have stuttered a bit in front of goal.

I think defensively we are fine but upfront we are still struggling.

We have two cup games before the Scouse.

I'd love to see Rashers and Martial get a lot of minutes together in both.

Ibra is obviously a phenomenal athlete but give him a rest. Its a great opportunity for the two youngsters to get some minutes and hopefully a couple of goals for confidence.

For the first time in a few years think we will beat the Scouse tbh.

We have a superior squad, of their most important players this season, Mane is at the ACON, Firimino is struggling with form and Coutinho is just coming back from injury.

Their defense is brittle and their keepers are dodgy as hell.

We will need to keep it wide, attack from the wings and keep peppering their box with crosses. We have superior height in the likes of Ibra and Pogs so they are there for the taking if Jose sets us up correctly from the get go. We will also have an extra days rest after the semi first leg plus we have a much nicer (theoretically) draw with Hull rather than a strong Southampton team.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Delboy5 wrote: »

Love the lad but he was a liability towards the end at United. I can't believe that he's improved while getting older so it's be a no from me. Always look forward, never look back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I love the man hopefully he'll return in some capacity in the future but I dont see the point in bringing him back as a player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

beno619 wrote: »
    I love the man hopefully he'll return in some capacity in the future but I dont see the point in bringing him back as a player.

Add much needed experience and character to the dressing room and help develop Shaw!?

Increase the chances of Griezmann following next summer.......id take him!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

I'd like him back, but at the steering wheel of the @manutd twitter/insta accounts :pac:

Apart from that I'd love to see him working in the academy in some capacity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOznegfjl3S/

Better just ask the monkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I don't like this trend that appears to be happening of signing players coming towards the end of their careers. Zlatan the exception he has turned out to be an excellent signing but is a short term fix. Investment needs to be made for the future and not have 4 or 5 players in the squad in their late 30s.
    Schweinstieger doesn't appear to be moving. Talk of Diarra ? Really? He was playing in Russia only a few years ago.
    Evra ?Get a grip some of ye.
    "Oh he would be good to have around the dressing room and influential".... Sorry but isn't that what the likes of Rooney and Carrick should be doing Now?
    Sure bring back Keano and leave him training with the squad so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I don't like this trend that appears to be happening of signing players coming towards the end of their careers. Zlatan the exception he has turned out to be an excellent signing but is a short term fix. Investment needs to be made for the future and not have 4 or 5 players in the squad in their late 30s.
    Schweinstieger doesn't appear to be moving. Talk of Diarra ? Really? He was playing in Russia only a few years ago.
    Evra ?Get a grip some of ye.
    "Oh he would be good to have around the dressing room and influential".... Sorry but isn't that what the likes of Rooney and Carrick should be doing Now?
    Sure bring back Keano and leave him training with the squad so .

Phil Jones wouldn't last 5 mins without been injured thats a sh1t idea get a grip mate.

Edit: and by the way if your allowed say as side from ibra because he has been a success then surely we can right of bastian and say sure we haven't had any flops yet.

We have always signed players for experience fergie did it with blanc and brought in larrson and a few others over the years they are no harm in giving lass a try he has plenty of years left in him because of the type of footballer he is.

You scream about older footballers but we have also signed one of the best young midfielders in the world for a world record fee I don't think they is any danger of us becoming a retirement home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I can see both sides of it. Would I like us to sign Veratti (for example) - yes. Do I think it could happen in January, not a chance of it. Could there be sense in bringing in a player like Diarra for a 6 month stop gap solution to add a squad player (to help our current first choice players) and then buy a new, more permanent, solution in the summer - yes. I certainly think we can't sell Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger and bring no one else in to pad the squad options a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Robson99 wrote: »
    If we are to sign anyone I would go for Grizeman. He can play in any of the front 3 positions and would be able to interchange with Rashford and martial in a front 3
    Both martial and Rashford are superior to lukaku and signing him would only hinder Rashford and martial getting a chance up top

Ludicrous comment based on nothing but your own opinion : /

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

It would be utter madness to even contemplate bringing Evra back and Jose isnt mad. A complete non story.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Martial scores to level against Boro and runs to get the ball and back to the halfway line.

Giroud scores to level against Bournmouth and puts on a dance routine. Brilliant mentality.

Assume there was a dressing room selfie, and Theo Walcott somewhere quoted as saying Arsenal are learning to be tough.

laughable groundhog day club

BMMachine wrote: »
    Im sorry but I had to quote this, from Tommy Docherty about Mourinho -
    “He’s done okay but if he were made of chocolate he would eat himself,” he said.

He slammed Utd a bit today, something about having to pay for tickets or something... but very wrong of him to say how Chelsea and City behave like "big clubs". Yeah big Saudi oil money and Russian gangster money is the way for a 'big club' to behave Tommy.......

http://www.football365.com/news/ex-united-boss-hits-out-they-act-like-a-small-club

Read a bit of history about that fella and you realise most fans have little or no time for him.

Hardly surprised City can sort him out with tickets, have plenty of room! :D

Anyway having a rant and whinge that he isn't getting free stuff and looked after, and when you consider why he left the club and his tenure it's hardly surprising

(Obviously I wasn't alive when he was manager, but heard his name come up before so I'm somewhat basing my opinions on second hand info)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I can see both sides of it. Would I like us to sign Veratti (for example) - yes. Do I think it could happen in January, not a chance of it. Could there be sense in bringing in a player like Diarra for a 6 month stop gap solution to add a squad player (to help our current first choice players) and then buy a new, more permanent, solution in the summer - yes. I certainly think we can't sell Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger and bring no one else in to pad the squad options a bit.

I don't think you gain much or improve anything by getting rid of Schweinstieger and Schneiderlin....and bringing in Diarra.
    Nothing wrong with experience around the club but this talk of bringing back Evra etc is rubbish.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement