Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

TheDoc wrote: »
    Assume there was a dressing room selfie, and Theo Walcott somewhere quoted as saying Arsenal are learning to be tough.

laughable groundhog day club

Oh, just read on F365 Wenger's post match comments.

Complaining about the fixture schedule because that is new this year, and definitely hasn't happened in the 20 odd years he's been here.

And saying they passed a mental test.

Whenever I feel horribly down about United, or have serious issues about our manager, current or former, I can always cheer myself up knowing Arsenal fans have it worse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Apparently Benfica want Lindelof to sign a new deal so when he is sold his former small Swedish club Vasteras SK where he started can be prevented from getting paid £8.7 million, so Benfica can make for themselves.

Lindelof doesn't want do his former club out of the money, but he wants the move to United.
    In Sweden they are saying he will move this month but this dilemma for Lindelof is holding it up.

https://twitter.com/sport_witness/status/816572705273184256

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

RobertKK wrote: »
    Apparently Benfica want Lindelof to sign a new deal so when he is sold his former small Swedish club Vasteras SK where he started can be prevented from getting paid £8.7 million, so Benfica can make for themselves.

Lindelof doesn't want do his former club out of the money, but he wants the move to United.
    In Sweden they are saying he will move this month but this dilemma for Lindelof is holding it up.

https://twitter.com/sport_witness/status/816572705273184256

That's would set a dodgy precedent for future transfers if he did that. His old club could have a legal case there no?
    Signing a new contract and moving again a few days later?
    That can't happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't think you gain much or improve anything by getting rid of Schweinstieger and Schneiderlin....and bringing in Diarra.
    Nothing wrong with experience around the club but this talk of bringing back Evra etc is rubbish.

Mourinho doesn't like/trust either Schweinsteiger or Schneiderlin - good chance both will leave.

I would prefer a higher caliber replacement than Diarra, but I can see why you would bring him in for 6 months on the knowledge he would only be used to give one of the other midfielders a break, rather than to specifically improve the first team.

We can't sell BS and MS without at least one addition being brought in, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Fosu Mensah could take one of there spots on bench if they both leave. You don't really need to replace people who never play imo.

I don't think Bastian Will leave till the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mourinho doesn't like/trust either Schweinsteiger or Schneiderlin - good chance both will leave.

I would prefer a higher caliber replacement than Diarra, but I can see why you would bring him in for 6 months on the knowledge he would only be used to give one of the other midfielders a break, rather than to specifically improve the first team.

We can't sell BS and MS without at least one addition being brought in, imo.

I'd love to know what Schweinsteiger has done to not be trusted and/or not be considered good enough. Imo he is at worst an excellent substitute to have to replace Pogba or Herrera should they need a rest and even for those Europa league games where he could start and it would mean minimal disruption to the normal way United play football now.

That's would set a dodgy precedent for future transfers if he did that. His old club could have a legal case there no?
    Signing a new contract and moving again a few days later?
    That can't happen?

I don't get why a contract between the player and his new club would effect the contracts between the previous club and Benfica - surely the sell on clause isn't tied to the initial contract Lindelof signed with Benfica; that would seem very weird.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Fosu Mensah could take one of there spots on bench if they both leave. You don't really need to replace people who never play imo.

I don't think TFM would be a useful DM (personal opinion).

As for not replacing players who don't play - I get that, but the further into the season we go, the bigger the need to keep players fresh will be. We sell MS and BS and we are left with only Fellaini as an actual central midfielder to bring in for Carrick, Pogba and Herrera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'd love to know what Schweinsteiger has done to not be trusted and/or not be considered good enough. Imo he is at worst an excellent substitute to have to replace Pogba or Herrera should they need a rest and even for those Europa league games where he could start and it would mean minimal disruption to the normal way United play football now.

Wasn't there talk of him being a bit disruptive in the dressing room and not getting along with some of the more senior players under LVG?

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Just sounds like bad squad management.

There is potentially a ****load of fixtures coming second half of the season, no way Hererra,Carrick and Pogba can maintain a high level throughout them all.

Like at present, look at our potential League Cup and FA Cup lineups, where you should be flexing your squad.

Pogba or Herrera will likely need to start in them all. We don't have a full suite of backup midfielders. It's a risky game to be playing.

And I don't think its really a case Jose can ignore the cups entirely, I know personally I'd be happy with and expect a good craic at the league cup and FA CUP, and ignoring the Europa league in our current state?

Whatever about his stances on having no right keeping players not playing, he has a responsibility as a manager to ensure his squad is amply supplied.

Separate to the theories or assumptions that winning a cup can breed a winning mentality (many people would comment how Mourinho uses cups to create platforms for success) considering the squad and the investment this summer gone, I think it's a minimum expectation to have something to show for it by the end.

I suppose the possible crux of the issue is you sell MS and BS and then bring in another backup midfielder, and the problem recycles then in the summer with the new player not getting enough game time? Is there no handy midfielders knocking about the youth setup, you know, that thing the club love to talk about but actually provides **** all use for the first team?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I don't get why a contract between the player and his new club would effect the contracts between the previous club and Benfica - surely the sell on clause isn't tied to the initial contract Lindelof signed with Benfica; that would seem very weird.

I thought the same, but I suppose the only possibility is that the sell on stipulation between the two clubs could have a clause saying that it expires if the player resigns for them. Sounds very much like a bs story though.

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Wasn't there talk of him being a bit disruptive in the dressing room and not getting along with some of the more senior players under LVG?

The "leak" after Van Gaal was sacked indicated senior players taking issue with Schweinsteiger travelling with his misses a lot and returning to Germany while injured.

At this point well confirmed we are talking about Rooney and Carrick all things considered (Remember when Van Gaal said Rooney and Carrick approached him about stuff)

So two of our players were getting upset over it. One of which looked likely for the door, with the player they were moaning about likely to replace him. There appeared to be general consensus among most of the squad from their public comments he was an incredible figure in the dressing room and a really positive one. Probably even further enhanced by comments from some of his peers when Mourinho brought him back in the fold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

It might be that Benfica would have to pay less if he signs a new contract. Like:

If player renews pay : €1m

Or

If player moves before renewing club receives 20% of sell on fee

Football contracts are mental :pac:

Just sounds like bad squad management.

There is potentially a ****load of fixtures coming second half of the season, no way Hererra,Carrick and Pogba can maintain a high level throughout them all.

Like at present, look at our potential League Cup and FA Cup lineups, where you should be flexing your squad.

Pogba or Herrera will likely need to start in them all. We don't have a full suite of backup midfielders. It's a risky game to be playing.

And I don't think its really a case Jose can ignore the cups entirely, I know personally I'd be happy with and expect a good craic at the league cup and FA CUP, and ignoring the Europa league in our current state?

Whatever about his stances on having no right keeping players not playing, he has a responsibility as a manager to ensure his squad is amply supplied.

Separate to the theories or assumptions that winning a cup can breed a winning mentality (many people would comment how Mourinho uses cups to create platforms for success) considering the squad and the investment this summer gone, I think it's a minimum expectation to have something to show for it by the end.

I suppose the possible crux of the issue is you sell MS and BS and then bring in another backup midfielder, and the problem recycles then in the summer with the new player not getting enough game time? Is there no handy midfielders knocking about the youth setup, you know, that thing the club love to talk about but actually provides **** all use for the first team?

Goss would be the only CM in the youth side of any use - a carrick type of player and of the right age (etc) but I don't think he is near good/strong/quick enough.

The brighter lights are elsewhere - Gribbon as an attacking midfielder, Gomes (only 16) as an attacking midfielder and Williams/Tuanzebe/Fosu-Mensah in defence.

As for providing nothing for the first team: Lingard (great squad player imo) and Rashford. Fosu-Mensah should be getting some time too, imo.

Wasnt TFM supposed to be able to play dm too?

Jayop wrote: »
    Wasnt TFM supposed to be able to play dm too?

People have consistently said this, yes. He played there for the youth sides a bit but for me he never looked like that would be his role. His athletic prowess (over your general 18 year old) means he was able to power around a youth team/reserve team pitch and look great, but I don't think he has the passing for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

eagle eye wrote: »

We were sold a dud by the crafty Munich boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Evra back on a 6 month contract would be class

• Advertisement

Goss would be the only CM in the youth side of any use - a carrick type of player and of the right age (etc) but I don't think he is near good/strong/quick enough.

The brighter lights are elsewhere - Gribbon as an attacking midfielder, Gomes (only 16) as an attacking midfielder and Williams/Tuanzebe/Fosu-Mensah in defence.

As for providing nothing for the first team: Lingard (great squad player imo) and Rashford. Fosu-Mensah should be getting some time too, imo.

My more general point is our academy hasn't provided anything of actual worth of benefit for donkeys. Hopefully Rashford can actually make the grade long term.

bangkok wrote: »

It really wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

zerks wrote: »

What a brilliant signing. I never expected so much contribution to the team. Our best player this season so far.

Yea bring Scholes out of retirement again while we are at it.

FFs

It really wouldn't.

Reckon it would be better than 6 months of Rojo or Darmian at left back.

Yea bring Scholes out of retirement again while we are at it.

FFs

Yeah, that would be totally the same as bringing in the player who is still left back for France and a quality performer for Juve too. Totally the same.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    What a brilliant signing. I never expected so much contribution to the team. Our best player this season so far.

PSG seem to be struggling without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

My more general point is our academy hasn't provided anything of actual worth of benefit for donkeys. Hopefully Rashford can actually make the grade long term.

The youth set-up is almost not worth having. I assume it must still be profitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Not if he plays

I would love him back at the club in a coach/mentor type role, but i dont think he has the legs for the PL as a player any more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Not if he plays

I would love him back at the club in a coach/mentor type role, but i dont think he has the legs for the PL as a player any more.

If he was a coach who we registered as an absolute last resort, then maybe.

But I really, really hated his last two years with us. Not his character, which seems awesome, but his abilities on the pitch. He had become a massive, massive liability for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Darmian has gotten a ridiculously rough ride in here since his admittedly poor 30 mins vs Sissoko in the Spurs game.

I think he's been grand as a back up left back.

His attacking game isn't great but it's empathised when he's played on the left.

• Advertisement

I just hope Luke Shaw isn't a lost cause at United/under Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

SteM wrote: »
    Love the lad but he was a liability towards the end at United. I can't believe that he's improved while getting older so it's be a no from me. Always look forward, never look back.
    erm, Paul Pogba?

I'm not a United fan but I think the key to their success is in the triumvirate of Pogba, Ibrahimovic and Mhikitarian. If they are to continue their run, it'll be down to having these 3 remain injury free. They will just guarantee goals, and therefore usually wins. I think Spurs will give Chelsea a massive test tonight and prevent them going 14 in-a-row, but I see the league finishing with Chelsea as champions and United as runners up.

We have some left back that cost £30m that many seemed to claim would be world class :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Could have killed him.

Yeah, that would be totally the same as bringing in the player who is still left back for France and a quality performer for Juve too. Totally the same.

It wasn't meant to be taken seriously.
    Unlike some who actually think signing 35 year old Evra back to the club where his last few years were a disaster is somehow a good idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

I'm in two minds as to how I'd like the result to go tonight

If I believe United are still in the title race, I'm shouting for a Spurs win.

If I believe the best United can do is top 3. I'm shouting for Chelsea to win and take points off Spurs.

Rainman16 wrote: »
    I'm in two minds as to how I'd like the result to go tonight

If I believe United are still in the title race, I'm shouting for a Spurs win.

If I believe the best United can do is top 3. I'm shouting for Chelsea to win and take points off Spurs.

I really think the title is asking a bit much. I just can't see Chelsea losing it from here.
    Part of me wants Chelsea to run away with it now for Fear Liverpool could have a hope!

Yeah I'm torn. Hundred to one we'd actually even get close to Chelsea but I'd still like to keep the dream alive. Playing for top four is just so unsatisfactory.

We have some left back that cost £30m that many seemed to claim would be world class :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, are you operating under the entirely incorrect assumption I want Evra brought in as first choice left back?

Have a :rolleyes: right back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Chelsea win, narrow the gap on Spurs and the rest of the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Shaw, Blind, Darmian, Evra, Rojo would be my order of preference at left back if Evra joined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Evra wasn't able for the premier league anymore when he left so I doubt he's any more able now.

Playing in an utterly dominant Juve side is a different kettle of fish to playing in the premier league again at his age.

I really think the title is asking a bit much. I just can't see Chelsea losing it from here.
    Part of me wants Chelsea to run away with it now for Fear Liverpool could have a hope!

Maybe the draw would be the best senario but something makes me feel the title is not 100% out of reach just yet. I feel we have a slim chance.

If Spurs win tonight and United beat Chelsea. It's all to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

jacool wrote: »
    erm, Paul Pogba?

I'm not a United fan but I think the key to their success is in the triumvirate of Pogba, Ibrahimovic and Mhikitarian. If they are to continue their run, it'll be down to having these 3 remain injury free. They will just guarantee goals, and therefore usually wins. I think Spurs will give Chelsea a massive test tonight and prevent them going 14 in-a-row, but I see the league finishing with Chelsea as champions and United as runners up.

Well, that's different. Pogba is potentially world class not a 35 years old that was playing poorly before he left us. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Scholes was another. Was nice to see him come back but in hindsight it just meant that Fergie could put off investing in a midfielder for the future for another season and a half.

I'm sorry, are you operating under the entirely incorrect assumption I want Evra brought in as first choice left back?

Have a :rolleyes: right back.

Ah no, that's not directed at you, it's directed as just a general comment with certain posts and the various rumours, its like people forget we have that once highly rated left back :)

And there is another part of that I guess I won't get into for a fear of relapse

Actually proper laughing at that Chevrolet video, he must really be a great asset in the dressing room, nevermind the fact he is tearing it up

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Chelsea win, narrow the gap on Spurs and the rest of the top 4.

So are you conceeding that the title is out of reach?. I'm thinking there's still a slight chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Even if we won every game from here on in Chelsea would win the league if they won 15 games and say allow for us to maybe loose 2 and get a few draws which would be most likely if we have an exceptional run chelsea would only need to win about 11 or 12 games out of 19 to still finish ahead of us.

That may seem like a possibility but Chelsea have been solid to an extent that they have only conceded 13 goals all season and 9 of them were in 4 games and they still manage to get 4 points from them games they are literally solid it would take arsene wenger to allow us to catch them.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    Yeah I'm torn. Hundred to one we'd actually even get close to Chelsea but I'd still like to keep the dream alive. Playing for top four is just so unsatisfactory.

Exactly.
    It may be unrealistic but I want more than top 4, and I don't care if some think I am deluded over it.
    Spurs win and let the gap reduce.
    We have a better squad than most if not all of the rest in the top 6 IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement