Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

edgecutter wrote: »
    Could also be out of the top four again.

Far too many overpaid players that need to do better.

Adidas money takes a 30% hit if that's the case then.

There's still over 2/3 of the season to go, I'm not abandoning Top 4 just yet. Still though, wouldn't be surprised to see Jose strive to progress through the Europa stages in the meantime in case it becomes the club's best hope of getting a CL spot next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

TheDoc wrote: »
    There was so many positives today too. But it's typical United last three seasons

We should have kept the pressure on to get a second even a third goal. And it would be all positive. Pogba I thought was brilliant. Herrera becoming a real big player. Mata being Mata. Valencia was marauding etc. So many positives

But the team retreats, manager then just feeds that mentality with a late defensive sub and of course Giroud scores. Like **** sake.

Neville mentioned in commentary but Martial is getting away with murder. 50m quid and it's like people forget that and think he was an academy product. He was useless again today bar a little spell with two shots.

It was incredibly frustrating to see him waltz around being slack as **** and having Memphis on the bench who has had a good week. Martial isn't playing his way back into form, he just needs dropping.

Again so many positives today but they will likly be forgotten with that result. And probably rightly so. There is no more time for transitional periods. This manager was brought in to get things firing immediately.

A serious run of wins needs to start from West Ham, no more excuses.

In fairness to Jose, we have looked a lot better than last year (playing wise). The players should be blamed again in my opinion, it is unfair to blame the manager.

Ibra remembers to bring his shooting boots we beat burnley
    De Gea doesn't make a mistake against stoke and we win
    Today, the players should have got a second and we win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I agree, Rashford needs to close down better and our defence knows that they should be aiming for Giroud.

Again, I feel sorry for Jose, 6 points dropped due to incompetence from our players at home. Can't score and can't see out games.

Pogba is poor as well should have made it a 2 vs 1.

Yeah I'm not sure what more Jose can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Dreadful match a few moments of magic but just too many might have been moments sums up the season so far, we are still in with a chance of Champions League place for next season are still in all other competitions too but jaysus it's hard to watch effort like that being snatched at the close. Carrick or Mata or even Martial for his efforts deserved Man of the Match, Ander was great too, so were Darmian and Phil Jones, that Giroud goal was unstoppable but Matas strike was sublime.
    It really wasnt a dreadful match.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Two centre halves were ****e utter ****e fir the goal as well

Shame, they were doing quite well for 90 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

TheDoc wrote: »
    There was so many positives today too. But it's typical United last three seasons

This is why I have no real problems with Jose. It was about now I lost faith in Moyes, and about now last year I lost faith in LVG. But I can see progress being made under Jose.

The problem today, as you outlined, has been there for three seasons now, so simply reaffirms my belief that there's a rotten core to the players right now, and its them who we need to work on shipping out.

We said last year that if progress was being made, if we were playing good football, we'd be inclined to show patience for the manager, and you can't say we don't look better now compared to pre-Jose, even if the results aren't reflecting that (yet). If he can bring in more players on POgba's level, ship out the underpreformaners and build on what we're seeing, I have 100% faith in Jose to do right by us.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    This is why I have no real problems with Jose. It was about now I lost faith in Moyes, and about now last year I lost faith in LVG. But I can see progress being made under Jose.

The problem today, as you outlined, has been there for three seasons now, so simply reaffirms my belief that there's a rotten core to the players right now, and its them who we need to work on shipping out.

We said last year that if progress was being made, if we were playing good football, we'd be inclined to show patience for the manager, and you can't say we don't look better now compared to pre-Jose, even if the results aren't reflecting that (yet). If he can bring in more players on POgba's level, ship out the underpreformaners and build on what we're seeing, I have 100% faith in Jose to do right by us.
    We can't keep shipping out players and switching personnel though
    I don't agree with that notion

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Rashford needs to take ox out. Take the yellow

Ya there is a big case for that as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Quandary wrote: »
    The Giroud header was very hard to stop

Would have been easier to stop if Jones wasn't turned around and sitting on his hole.

The game was our season in a nutshell, we were the better team and should have all three points, too many players aren't doing enough and we aren't scoring enough goals. Aguero or Costa up front and we win that game.

It is what it is, we are improving on previous seasons and with a few additions will continue to improve.

If he can bring in more players on POgba's level, ship out the underpreformaners and build on what we're seeing, I have 100% faith in Jose to do right by us.

Jury is still out on Pogba tbh.

I'm probably being overly harsh but should have done better for the equaliser.

Poor control & a miss kick almost let Arsenal in and had an opportunity to slip Rooney through with a simple ball at 1 - 0 but dallied and got dispossessed.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    We can't keep shipping out players and switching personnel though
    I don't agree with that notion

It simply has to happen. Our problem isn't the manager, I see nothing wrong with his selections and tactics, the problems lie with too many soft players not doing enough on the field. What we spent previously is irrelevant, an objective look at that squad shows that players need to go and be replaced with men who will actually produce the goods.

At the very minimum we need a proper striker. Not an over the hill legend with no pace or a young kid who might or might not be a legend in years to come, but a goddamn top level pacy and experienced striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

It simply has to happen. Our problem isn't the manager, I see nothing wrong with his selections and tactics, the problems lie with too many soft players not doing enough on the field. What we spent previously is irrelevant, an objective look at that squad shows that players need to go and be replaced with men who will actually produce the goods.

At the very minimum we need a proper striker. Not an over the hill legend with no pace or a young kid who might or might not be a legend in years to come, but a goddamn top level pacy and experienced striker.
    Top class striker and a top class centre half both needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Probably missed Ibrahimovic today a lot.

I don't feel we have the right strikers.
    I would keep Ibrahimovic if he keeps scoring, but I would replace Rooney with Griezmann, the club has been crying out for him for years at this stage.

Then someone to go with Bailly, I don't know what is going on with Smalling, but in the past Jose talked about Jones not being ready to return but wanted to play as he was mentally ready, he did seem to imply there are players ready to play but are holding themselves back.
    If Jones stay fit, I am happy for him to stay but if he gets injured again for a long period...
    The only central defender I am happy with is Bailly and it is a pity he got injured.

Arsenal played very conservatively today, which allowed United to play better.
    United are better than recent years, but still not where they should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Would have been easier to stop if Jones wasn't turned around and sitting on his hole

Jones was taken out of it. Clear foul missed by an attrocius referee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Missed the whole game. How was it?

Robson99 wrote: »
    Top class striker and a top class centre half both needed.

And a top class winger.

I would love to know whats happening with Mkhi. Its spectacular that a player and manager would have such a falling out so quickly into his career at a club.

Regardless, Martial's regression this season has really hurt us in terms of creativity. Young, Memphis and Lingard aren't good enough for a team challenging for the top 4. So I'd add that to the list.

I'd be surprised if we don't go for an experienced defender this January.

Pheonix10 wrote: »

Arsenal were dire. Only one shot on target, which they scored. We were great until we scored, then sat back with zero desire to do much more than hope 1-0 was enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Virgil playing well again today. Him and Bailly wud be class.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

And a top class winger.

I would love to know whats happening with Mkhi. Its spectacular that a player and manager would have such a falling out so quickly into his career at a club.

Regardless, Martial's regression this season has really hurt us in terms of creativity. Young, Memphis and Lingard aren't good enough for a team challenging for the top 4. So I'd add that to the list.

Young, memphis and lingard are fine as backups for a top 4 club.

Arsenal were dire. Only one shot on target, which they scored. We were great until we scored, then sat back with zero desire to do much more than hope 1-0 was enough.

**** it...but this top 4 talk is far to early. We are still in the title race! (Assuming we ever hit any kind of good form)

• Advertisement

Virgil playing well again today. Him and Bailly wud be class.

I was thinking the same looking at him against Liverpool in that first half, hope he keeps it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Seriously forgotten that Schniderlin was still at untied. Can't even remember any time I've seen him play . Imagine a player of his quality and schwinsegar (another hard name to spell) can't even make the bench. Yet depay and fellani are there or there abouts .

At the moment Mata is our only reliable player who would have been on a Ferguson team .

Also rooney was excellent when he came on today . I think I said on this thread the last day that he should be tried up front as that's where he likes to play. I'd like to see him given a chance again.

deadybai wrote: »
    Also rooney was excellent when he came on today . I think I said on this thread the last day that he should be tried up front as that's where he likes to play. I'd like to see him given a chance again.

His loss of pace is a problem though, shortly after he came on there was a ball played forward for him that was very gettable and would have left him in a great position, but instead he was easily beaten to it by the defender. We can't afford that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Jose has someone new to blame.

Gary Neville. He's a bloody jinx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Evra was sh1t again

jayo26 wrote: »
    Evra was sh1t again

Goal came down his side too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

What were Nani and Anderson at too
    Both were anonymous
    It's lime they weren't even playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Our season is just a collective of "should have"s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

And a top class winger.

Similar issues in his first year at Dortmund, Klopp wasn't happy with his application in training at all. Jose is similar in that he expects you to give everything every day, not just match day. PLenty of time for him to turn it around tho, no doubting his talent.

• Advertisement

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Similar issues in his first year at Dortmund, Klopp wasn't happy with his application in training at all. Jose is similar in that he expects you to give everything every day, not just match day. PLenty of time for him to turn it around tho, no doubting his talent.

And he is right to have that expectation. If the rumours surrounding Mikitarian are true then I am perfectly fine with not seeing him play, the last thing we need is another special snowflake holding us back.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM_6GV6jibl/

We regret not having obtained the 3 points, the other match will be better. I also want to dedicate this award to all Manchester United Medical Corps. Thank you for having patience with my recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Just finished watching the game. We were brilliant and it makes that equaliser all the more sickening. Mata was fantastic. How many goals have we conceded after taking him off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Also, Pogba has the most touches in the league coz he almost always takes one too ****ing many.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Just finished watching the game. We were brilliant and it makes that equaliser all the more sickening. Mata was fantastic. How many goals have we conceded after taking him off?

Why do we also go defensive after going up. It NEVER works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Why do we also go defensive after going up. It NEVER works.

I dont think we went defensive it was a case of Arsenal came at us more we still had a few attacks then jose brought on Schneiderlin to try help out midfield.

I think our two center backs were too soft and it's a weak point now because even tho Bailey is back in December he is gone again in January so I can see a center back been signed in January.

I dont blame flashford for getting skinned he ran his socks off all game and it was near the end with a fresh pacey player up against him we need a leader in defence its happened too much this year that we have conceded a lead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

We was robbed. Robbed I tells ya! We're definitely improving and moving in the right direction but christ we've had no luck at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I don't think we can feel hard done by today at all. We weren't good enough to win, end of story.

Annoying to see Spurs snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, I've a feeling West Ham won't be as generous to us next week.

Our December, January is handy enough. Hopefully we will be less than 5 points off the top spot by Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Our December, January is handy enough. Hopefully we will be less than 5 points off the top spot by Christmas.

These " handy" runs are killing us. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Just seen Rooney saying the media coverage he is getting is a disgrace and shows no respect. Seriously, the ego on this guy he needs to shut up. If you don't want to be front page material then don't stay up to 6am at a wedding with tons of people who have cameras.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Everton away, Spurs after a trip to Ukraine and Liverpool in that handy December and January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Rashford needs to take ox out. Take the yellow

Hindsight is great, isn't it?

And if he takes him out and they score from the free kick then you post that it's a stupid tackle and he should have made a better attempt.

He's a slow starter. It was the same with Dortmund. His first season he struggled until the end of January and only had 2 or 3 good performances before then.

After that, he massively improved. I'm not that surprised that it's been a slow start, but the fact that he hasn't been given a chance is the most surprising thing.
    I don't think we can feel hard done by today at all.

The team fully deserved to win on general play, control of the game and chances created.

The arrogance of that statement. Handy games like Watford away, Burnley at home, Stoke at home. I suppose those are the types of games you mean, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

And he is right to have that expectation. If the rumours surrounding Mikitarian are true then I am perfectly fine with not seeing him play, the last thing we need is another special snowflake holding us back.

I think Klopp and/or Dortmund are one of those teams where players look much better than they are and/or can't bring their success with them.

Sahin, Kagawa, etc.

Wenger did it for years too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

If you can't beat Stoke and Burnley at home, there are no "handy runs".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

v3ttel wrote: »
    The team fully deserved to win on general play, control of the game and chances created.

As relevant as saying that they deserved to win for having nicer jerseys and better fans.

West Ham will be missing their captain Winston Reid next weekend after he was red carded against Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

If anyone can't see that we are moving well ahead of the last few years they need their heads checked.

A few players need to be moved on and a few brought in. We have the right manager and things are going in the right direction.

The instant gratification generation need to chill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

RobertKK wrote: »
    West Ham will be missing their captain Winston Reid next weekend after he was red carded against Spurs.

Noble is their Captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

The special unlucky one!!

Noble is their Captain.

That is correct, Noble was suspended and Reid was the captain against Spurs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement