Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

jayo26 wrote: »
    Even if we won every game from here on in Chelsea would win the league if they won 15 games and say allow for us to maybe loose 2 and get a few draws which would be most likely if we have an exceptional run chelsea would only need to win about 11 or 12 games out of 19 to still finish ahead of us.

That may seem like a possibility but Chelsea have been solid to an extent that they have only conceded 13 goals all season and 9 of them were in 4 games and they still manage to get 4 points from them games they are literally solid it would take arsene wenger to allow us to catch them.

They conceded two goals in their last game, they might have peaked too soon, or they may stay consistent, we have to see, too early to give them the trophy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

RobertKK wrote: »
    They conceded two goals in their last game, they might have peaked too soon, or they may stay consistent, we have to see, too early to give them the trophy.

Yeh and they still won that game :) I'm not giving them the trophy I'm just saying we won't win it but I do have a feeling the teams like Liverpool that are that bit closer are not strong enough to go on the type of run that would be needed so maybe I am giving them the trophy ha.

Yeh and they still won that game :) I'm not giving them the trophy I'm just saying we won't win it but I do have a feeling the teams like Liverpool that are that bit closer are not strong enough to go on the type of run that would be needed so maybe I am giving them the trophy ha.

I like to think we are the hunters and Chelsea the prey. We have been gaining on the lesser prey to keep us going and we should hopefully get into 2nd place and then will be looking at Chelsea as the final target...
    It is like we have in the last month herded the teams fighting for 2nd and now have them all really in reaching distance and a win against Liverpool would really bring it all so much closer together.
    A spurs win tonight and a United win against Liverpool and then I will be super confident.
    At the moment it is all a bit 'if'...but in sport I allow myself to dream of what could happen, if it doesn't, the dream was nice while it lasted and the result would be no enormous surprise.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Jayop wrote: »
    Bmwatever you're literally posting in a United thread so talk of unitedcafe or whatever is meaningless. Irony is lost on you clearly so there's no reason to try to explain it.

I posted an article, was talking about it, then went to the next page to see you posting up links of RAWK and being all "hehehehe look at this guys hehehehe". And when I commented on it, and the mentality behind you doing it - all I saw back was paranoia running wild.
    And honestly, this is generally quite a good thread with a lot of good posters, so why not post? United are an interesting team, love em or hate em.
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Read a bit of history about that fella and you realise most fans have little or no time for him.

Hardly surprised City can sort him out with tickets, have plenty of room! :D

Anyway having a rant and whinge that he isn't getting free stuff and looked after, and when you consider why he left the club and his tenure it's hardly surprising

(Obviously I wasn't alive when he was manager, but heard his name come up before so I'm somewhat basing my opinions on second hand info)

Yeah Im not sure he ever had a good reputation, but what manager would after relegation. I think his comments are all wrong, I just loved the quote about Mourinho! It sounds like one of those things I should have definitely heard before but somehow haven't :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

BMMachine wrote: »
    I posted an article, was talking about it, then went to the next page to see you posting up links of RAWK and being all "hehehehe look at this guys hehehehe". And when I commented on it, and the mentality behind you doing it - all I saw back was paranoia running wild.
    And honestly, this is generally quite a good thread with a lot of good posters, so why not post? United are an interesting team, love em or hate em.

It's not paranoia, it's irony that you did exactly what you were mouthing at me for doing. I have no problem with other team fans posting in here at all, I do have a problem with people acting like hypocritical ejits.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

It's not paranoia

I would strongly disagree based on the volume and the need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

He doesn't understand hypocrisy Jayop. I'd just leave it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

BMMachine wrote: »
    I would strongly disagree based on the volume and the need

Paranoia over what though? Really think you are using the wrong word and generalising as you are.

Chelsea win for me tonight. Even with them losing, we'd still need to make up 10 points of a difference to pass them. Including their superior goal difference, we basically need them to lose 4 games, or 2 and have a rake of draws, all the while being flawless ourselves.

United have been scooping up points all over the place lately, yet still sit in 6th. Until that changes and we sit comfortable in the Top 4, I'm not really thinking about the title.

Jose is going to win it with us next season anyway, don't want to be greedy. Europa, EFL and second will suffice for this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'm not too much in awe of Conte, Jose won the league and would have gone close again if not winning it last year had he not fallen out with the players. Conte has essentially re-motivated a group of title winners with an added 80 million spent on defensive reinforcements including one of the best players in the world in his position last year in Kante.

Jose on form can get the better of him imo in the long term.

• Advertisement

Chelsea's revival happened under Guus Hiddink, Conte kept it going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

did he? I thought their stats under him were fairly poor, even in comparison to Jose's start to their season (not worse, but not massively improved to the point you would say their revival happened then)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

So do the optimistic folk think we can still win the league if Chelsea win tonight? If we're dreaming then why not go that one step further?

Chelsea beat all our top 4 rivals yet fail to beat a bottom half team for the rest of the season resulting in united storming to a comfortable 9 point cushion by the end of the season as they win all their remaining games.

Either way, I'd like to think that the players still believe they can win the title and that no further motivation is needed before every game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

The Europa and other cups will cost us getting 1st or 2nd imo.

3rd is a realistic target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Utds run can't go forever, stats would say that sometime over the next 5 or 6 games we will drop points. Add to that the effects of Thursday football and the possibility that Zlatan current form could dry up again like it did during the middle of the season so far and I have little confidence that we can bridge a 10 point gap. Chelsea may well crop points, but would need to really crash to get us back in the mix.

We need to get top 4 this year, its vital really to get back into CL (top 3 really). So, best result is for Spurs to not only be beaten, but a rerun of last years game when Chelsea basically stole their soul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

did he? I thought their stats under him were fairly poor, even in comparison to Jose's start to their season (not worse, but not massively improved to the point you would say their revival happened then)

Hiddink came in and steadied the ship immediately but towards the end of last season lost a lot of games. I wouldn't say he started the revival. He did an adequate job but Conte has really taken us to the next level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Utds run can go forever, stats would say that sometime over the next 5 or 6 games we will drop points. Add to that the effects of Thursday football and the possibility that Zlatan current form could dry up again like it did during the middle of the season so far and I have little confidence that we can bridge a 10 point gap. Chelsea may well crop points, but would need to really crash to get us back in the mix.

We need to get top 4 this year, its vital really to get back into CL (top 3 really). So, best result is for Spurs to not only be beaten, but a rerun of last years game when Chelsea basically stole their soul

I agree :D

Edit: ohhhh ninja skills there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I just want to see a good game tonight. We can't influence the outcome but whatever it is somebody above us will stall a little. The most important thing for United is that the plan for getting top 4 and the plan for winning the league are the exact same-- win the next game, then the next game, then the next, and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Had a look at the fixtures remaining, particularly the run ins. Top 4 will be a good achievement this year based on where we are and what the top 6 have left.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I'm a long way from hoping for the least worst outcome to the season and even then Chelsea winning the league is far from that.

Utd's form is what I'm interested in at the moment. There's plenty room for improvement and it'll be interesting to see how things stand by the time the City game comes around.

Spurs to win tonight or another ugly undisciplined draw that ends in a brawl. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Had a look at the fixtures remaining, particularly the run ins. Top 4 will be a good achievement this year based on where we are and what the top 6 have left.

Other than the team they played this gameweek everyone has to play every team in the league once more from here. Unless theres some huge disparity in Home/Away fixtures then theres no advantage for anyone at this point.
    (Liverpool have an extra home game I suppose because of Anfield redevelopment)

I also think another 33-35 points wins Chelsea the league so thats another 11 wins and 2 draws maximum. Depending on the results v Liverpool/Arsenal it can vary obviously.

Just looking at their home games they have Hull, Arsenal, Swansea, Watford, Palace, City, Southampton, Middlesborough and Sunderland. Other then Arsenal and City its hard to see them not picking up maximum points there, and you wouldn't bet against them beating those two as well.

Their last 3 games are Middlesborough, West Brom and Sunderland which is a pretty easy run in.

Of the top 6 they have to go away to Spurs, Liverpool and United. In theory they can afford to lose all 3 (they won't surely) and still win the league if they win 7 and draw 2 from their last 9 home games.

Some other away games for them are Leicester, Burnley, West Ham, Stoke, Bournmouth....... I don't see them dropping enough points in the second half of the season to allow anybody in, a 13 game winning streak in the middle of a season really sets you up well obviously and the second half of the season with no distractions for them will benefit them too where others have distractions, cept Liverpool obviously but they just don't have the squad.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Other than the team they played this gameweek everyone has to play every team in the league once more from here. Unless theres some huge disparity in Home/Away fixtures then theres no advantage for anyone at this point.
    (Liverpool have an extra home game I suppose because of Anfield redevelopment)

We have 3 away and 2 home, Liverpool have 3 home and 2 away (same as Spurs, and City) if you wanna make those comparisons?

I was referring more to that we play away to Arsenal, and away to Spurs in our last 3 games

Again to contrast, Liverpool have Southampton at home, West Ham away and Middlesborough at home in their last 3.

To me at least I see one of those run ins considerably tougher then the other.

We have 3 away and 2 home, Liverpool have 3 home and 2 away (same as Spurs, and City) if you wanna make those comparisons?

I was referring more to that we play away to Arsenal, and away to Spurs in our last 3 games

Again to contrast, Liverpool have Southampton at home, West Ham away and Middlesborough at home in their last 3.

To me at least I see one of those run ins considerably tougher then the other.

The only thing I'd say is that if it comes down to the last 3 games and we need to beat spurs and arsenal or get results id be confident of that with jose and the spirit in The team then I would of meeting them in February and March when we distracted by different cups and stuff the end will be in sight by the time we play them.

How we respond to been back in Europe is going to be a major factor hopefully it won't be too major the adrenaline of been in the hunt should carry us threw it.

Hope someone starts a match thread before the game starts tonight :p

Korat wrote: »
    Hope someone starts a match thread before the game starts tonight :p

It be like a Christmas tree with all the red and yellow after posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

So you reckon a major slip up is needed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

I still hold out slim hopes of United winning the title, but If not I'd rather Chelsea win it than anyone else in the top 6.

paulbok wrote: »
    So you reckon a major slip up is needed?

I think so yeh :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Title was gone for me after those pathetic run of results. It was evident early on there was going to be a tiny margin of error for the top 6 clubs, before a ball was even kicked. We totally shot ourselves in the foot for a number of reasons.

Much more positive about a top 4 finish, but a title tilt seems pretty unlikely, doubt all those ahead of us are going to **** the bed in the same time frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Im not so sure chelsea will win the title as i think the runs got to end sometime. the difficult thing for united is to get past all the teams then hope for chelsea to hit a horrible run will be hard

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Pogba and Lukaku seem to be pretty good mates!! :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BO1995Fjex3/?taken-by=paulpogba&hl=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

sky88 wrote: »
    Im not so sure chelsea will win the title as i think the runs got to end sometime. the difficult thing for united is to get past all the teams then hope for chelsea to hit a horrible run will be hard

The trouble with the rational is that it assumes that Chelsea must flounder at some point, but one of the teams behind them will not and can maintain a 'run' until the end of the season. Is there any reason to believe that one of the chasing pack is more capable of maintaining such form than Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

The trouble with the rational is that it assumes that Chelsea must flounder at some point, but one of the teams behind them will not and can maintain a 'run' until the end of the season. Is there any reason to believe that one of the chasing pack is more capable of maintaining such form than Chelsea?
    The only rationale is to go back and see what people were saying about Man City after the first 10 games of the season. They were going to be unbeatable and win everything. It could be Spurs if they win tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

jacool wrote: »
    The only rationale is to go back and see what people were saying about Man City after the first 10 games of the season. They were going to be unbeatable and win everything. It could be Spurs if they win tonight!

Man City not holding their form and people being wrong about it doesn't really say anything about Chelsea?

Are you saying the fact that the team in 3rd place have fallen off the pace since the start of the season means that the team in 1st are more likely to be under threat? Because it seems to suggest the opposite in fact.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

jacool wrote: »

Chelsea have won 16, drawn 1 and lost 2 of 19 games this season. That's championship form. It's also a better sample size than the first few games of the season. Plus the don't have any European fixtures to worry about.

One bookie now has Chelsea at 4/7 for the title. That's a great price imo and I think they should be much shorter. United at 16/1 is ludicrous, but funnily we're the same odds as Arsenal and shorter odds than Spurs despite both of htem being ahead of us in the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Top 2 form innit?

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Top 2 form innit?

Liverpool have only dropped 2 points in the last 15 too though I think. I know we're making ground on them but that's not bad form either considering one of the games was City.

• Advertisement

Liverpool have only dropped 2 points in the last 15 too though I think. I know we're making ground on them but that's not bad form either considering one of the games was City.

Go back a game further and they dropped another 2. I think we have gained 8 on Arsenal, 6 on City and Spurs and 4 on Liverpool after that 6 game winning streak.

Biggest plus on pool is we have to play them next if we win it puts them under pressure and they could well craic or if they get a positive result it will give them confidence and drive on.

Form is generally based on the last 5 games, so us picking 6 games just because we've won the last 6 is a bit arbitrary in this particular discussion. If Liverpool beat us then over the last five games from then they'll actually have a point more than us. Both sides are in good form at the moment.

Form is generally based on the last 5 games, so us picking 6 games just because we've won the last 6 is a bit arbitrary in this particular discussion. If Liverpool beat us then over the last five games from then they'll actually have a point more than us. Both sides are in good form at the moment.

Meh, I was talking about our winning streak, not about what is universally considered the form guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Jaysus lads i thought Bournemouth's red card was harsher than West Hams, yet no controversy over it.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Jaysus lads i thought Bournemouth's red card was harsher than West Hams, yet no controversy over it.

I don't think the outrage junkies are as worried about Arsenal catching them. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Rossi IRL wrote: »

West Ham one has been rescinded, no doubt a lot of that was to do with public pressure.

I think Bournemouth should appeal their card too. Thought it was harsh.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/premier-league/form-guide.html

I use 6 as I do use the above site which uses 6.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/premier-league/form-guide.html

I use 6 as I do use the above site which uses 6.

Damn you Robert.....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

TheDoc wrote: »
    Ludicrous comment based on nothing but your own opinion : /

Ludicrous Jesus talk about an OTT reaction. Based on what I have seen I would much rather Rashford or Martial up top on a United team.
    Lukaku is alright but nothing special IMO and has a lot of improvement to do to be a top class centre forward

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement