Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Robson99 wrote: »
    Ludicrous Jesus talk about an OTT reaction. Based on what I have seen I would much rather Rashford or Martial up top on a United team.
    Lukaku is alright but nothing special IMO and has a lot of improvement to do to be a top class centre forward

I won't go ott but Lukaku has a goal scoring record that says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

jayo26 wrote: »
    I won't go ott but Lukaku has a goal scoring record that says otherwise.

Fair enough he has a fairly decent scoring record but does he do enough in the big games??? does he bring other players into the game enough??? would you spend 30m on him and play him ahead of either martial or Rashford??
    I personally think that given time up front Both martial and Rashford have the potential to be two of the top strikers in Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lukaku is alright but nothing special IMO and has a lot of improvement to do to be a top class centre forward

If Lukaku has a lot of improvement to do to be a top class forward then what does that say for Rashford and Martial, two lads who have barely played that position?

You are saying that you would rather have two lads with basically no record of playing up front over a young man with a fantastic goal scoring record for his age. They may indeed develop into top class strikers, but your position right now is not based on logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Apart from goal highlights I've only seen Lukaku playing against Utd and he has been absolutely ****e every time. Maybe it's just us he chokes against but that doesn't bode well for his ability to handle the pressure of playing for Utd.

If Lukaku has a lot of improvement to do to be a top class forward then what does that say for Rashford and Martial, two lads who have barely played that position?

You are saying that you would rather have two lads with basically no record of playing up front over a young man with a fantastic goal scoring record for his age. They may indeed develop into top class strikers, but your position right now is not based on logic.

I dont think Martial record was all that bad last year do you??
    Maybe I'm a bit sentimental towards Rashford but he has shown what he is capable of when given the opportunity.
    I would much rather see a local lad given the chance rather than spend spending the money on a foreign player.

Korat wrote: »
    Apart from goal highlights I've only seen Lukaku playing against Utd and he has been absolutely ****e every time. Maybe it's just us he chokes against but that doesn't bode well for his ability to handle the pressure of playing for Utd.

Haven't seen him have many good games against the big teams but maybe I'm being a bit harsh on him

I dont think Martial record was all that bad last year do you??

I think Martial got away with murder for a long time last season, if Lukaku was going missing in games it was nothing compared to some of the efforts Martial put in. He was every bit as bad as Depay at times this season but gets away with it because of his good start.

He has just had a good game, lets see if he can actually repeat that for an extended period.

More to the point though, out of the three lads being discussed here only one of them has consistently played as a striker and scored goals at a high level and thats Lukaku.

Tell me this, you want Rashford to be our striker long term, but how would you rate his hold up play? Shown what he is capable off? Have you ever even seen him play central, hold off two central defenders and spread the play for 90 mins?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I don't see any reason for the Rashford to play up front calls at this stage of his career.

He looks more like a wide forward to me, much like Martial his best play for United was when he got a chance to face the goal and run at people or into space. I think both will be better playing off a central striker who occupies the defence, creates space for them to turn or run off and in behind.

Lukaku is the type of player they would enjoy playing with.

I think Martial got away with murder for a long time last season, if Lukaku was going missing in games it was nothing compared to some of the efforts Martial put in. He was every bit as bad as Depay at times this season but gets away with it because of his good start.

He has just had a good game, lets see if he can actually repeat that for an extended period.
    Considering the ****e football we played last year he was actually very good.
    More to the point though, out of the three lads being discussed here only one of them has consistently played as a striker and scored goals at a high level and thats Lukaku.
    Considering he is 3 years older than them I would have expected him to have had more opportunities than them wouldn't you???
    Tell me this, you want Rashford to be our striker long term, but how would you rate his hold up play? Shown what he is capable off? Have you ever even seen him play central, hold off two central defenders and spread the play for 90 mins?
    Hold up play fine.
    Shown what he is capable of
    Payed central and gadgets no problems with centre halves
    He doesn't have to spread the play for 90 minutes. A centre forwards main job is to score goals. May as well sign Andy Carroll if this what you want up front.
    Would you like to see a local lad given a chance in a United team????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Oh my eyes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

He doesn't have to spread the play for 90 minutes. A centre forwards main job is to score goals.

Yes he does if he wants to play in this United team. That is what is being asked of the CF.

astradave wrote: »
    Yes he does if he wants to play in this United team. That is what is being asked of the CF.

No point in signing Grizeman so

Jayop wrote: »
    Oh my eyes!!

Apologies multi quote giving me trouble

Might as well just sign Hernandez again so.

I'm not going to bother with the other post, too much of a mess and doesn't answer my question anyway.

Apologies multi quote giving me trouble

No slash (/) in front of the first quote slash to end the quote

• Advertisement

Might as well just sign Hernandez again so.

I'm not going to bother with the other post, too much of a mess and doesn't answer my question anyway.

Would you not like to see the local lad given a chance ?

I think if we were signing Griezmann there would be more of a chance of him playing as a second striker/10 in a 4231 or as a wide forward where he would have the space to use his talents. Lukaku and Griezmann would be ideal but it would mean Pogba playing as the box to box in a midfield 2.

Lukaku
    Martial/Rashford-Griezmann-Mkhitaryan

That is utterly irrelevant to anything I have said or posted in this thread.

By the way I wasn't arguing not to give martial and rashford chances I just think Lukaku is a quality player and is far better then our two which is what you were arguing against in first place,

longterm I think we have space in our squad for someone like Lukaku a strong physical forward that martial and rashford can play off more so then we would Have if we signed Griezman he would be alot more similar to rashford or Martial but of course Griezman is on another level to them so he would hold back their progress then signing Lukaku would.

The thing of Lukaku doing it in big games is hard to judge because he is playing in a team that will play more defensive against top teams.

It's a bit snippy in here for the last day or two.

• Advertisement

Nothing to complain about.. except complaining about each other :D

There's one person who's never stood out to me before who I've spotted over a load of threads today being a total belligerent so and so. Maybe it's me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lukaku is a Mino Raiola player, he said Lukaku and Everton have agreed 99.9% of a new contract, but will reassess the situation in the summer.

Given Raiola also has Zlatan, maybe it will be 2018 if United want him.

Dele Alli is such a good player.

Interesting. like I said I'd have been happy with any result tonight. I'll never give up on the title until we're absolutely out of it so a Spurs win brings us to ten points of Chelsea. We also have to play them at Old Trafford yet so all other results aside we could be within 7 of them.

#Daretodream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Spurs looking very good tonight. Chelsea doing their old trick of soaking up the pressure and waiting to score but unfortunately they are now a goal down. Costa isn't getting much luck either so far. I don't really care either way as to the result.

I think if we were signing Griezmann there would be more of a chance of him playing as a second striker/10 in a 4231 or as a wide forward where he would have the space to use his talents. Lukaku and Griezmann would be ideal but it would mean Pogba playing as the box to box in a midfield 2.

Lukaku
    Martial/Rashford-Griezmann-Mkhitaryan

Would prefer a 4 3 3

If we signed Grizeman then a front 3 of him martial and Rashford who could all interchange in the front 3 positions
    Behind them Herrera holding with Pogba and Mikateryan alongside

That is utterly irrelevant to anything I have said or posted in this thread.

Just asked you a simple question which has relevance...local lad given the opportunity or not

Would prefer a 4 3 3

If we signed Grizeman then a front 3 of him martial and Rashford who could all interchange in the front 3 positions
    Behind them Herrera holding with Pogba and Mikateryan alongside

Then you would be wasting Mkhitaryan imo. if you were to play a front three any three of Mkhi, Martial, Rashford, Griezmann. as there is plenty of games to go around. Though I would worry about them against the likes of West Brom and that as there is very little physicality there which has been great to watch in Ibra. He has bullied defences this year and thats what i think Lukaku could do for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Really do not understand people wanting Spurs to win. You look at who is directly ahead of you and focus on getting ahead of them, not someone who is half a mile down the road.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Really do not understand people wanting Spurs to win. You look at who is directly ahead of you and focus on getting ahead of them, not someone who is half a mile down the road.

It's not that I want Spurs to win, more that I'll be happy with any result as it will either take points from one or two teams we're chasing. On reflection now I'd be happiest with a draw.

I'm not going to concern myself with Spurs in the top four race just yet. As a United fan you need to truly believe we'll do enough over the next 18 games to get passed them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I want a draw so they both drop points.

Just asked you a simple question which has relevance...local lad given the opportunity or not

Its utterly irrelevant, both because that local lad is already being given lots of opportunities and because the 3rd player in this discussion, our player, is not a local lad either.

So why do you hate Martial?

Then you would be wasting Mkhitaryan imo. if you were to play a front three any three of Mkhi, Martial, Rashford, Griezmann. as their is plenty of games to go around. though I would worry about them against the likes of West Brom and that as there is very little physicality there which has been great to watch in Ibra. He has bullied defences this year and thats what i think Lukaku could do for us

I think Mikateryan would create a sh*T load with that pace and movement in front of him. Silva plays a similar role for city

I just dont see us signing both Lukaku and Grizeman. And Grizeman can play 3 or 4 positions. Lukaku only one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Spurs are not one of the the teams I'd be worried about overtaking. I'm very confident we will. Pochs teams always finish poorly.

Its utterly irrelevant, both because that local lad is already being given lots of opportunities and because the 3rd player in this discussion, our player, is not a local lad either.

So why do you hate Martial?

Rashford hasn't been given loads of opportunities
    And I dont hate martial. I just dont see the need for Lukaku

Chelsea are vulnerable despite what some think.

Then you get ahead of those near you, and ahead of you the next target is half a mile down the road!!!

I think Mikateryan would create a sh*T load with that pace and movement in front of him. Silva plays a similar role for city

I just dont see us signing both Lukaku and Grizeman. And Grizeman can play 3 or 4 positions. Lukaku only one

You could be right tbf, if given a free role the way DiMaria played on the left side of the three man midfield for Madrid, though the opposite side of that coin would mean that you might not get the best out of Pogba due to him having more defensive duties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Chelsea on the brink of losing. Hopefully that knocks their confidence if they do.

One things for sure, the quality of this game is great. Two very good teams who I think will both finish top 4. Probably 1st and 4th.

• Advertisement

Rashford hasn't been given loads of opportunities
    And I dont hate martial. I just dont see the need for Lukaku

28 appearances already this season, at 19 years of age you seriously want to tell me he isn't being given opportunities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

RobertKK wrote: »
    Chelsea are vulnerable despite what some think.

Will be interesting to see how they respond.

Title race will be wide open if the draw or lose the next one.

beno619 wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how they respond.

Title race will be wide open if the draw or lose the next one.

Leicester A
    Hull H
    Liverpool A
    Arsenal H

That's a tough set of fixtures!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Remember there used to be an argument over who was better, De Gea or Courtois?
    That fairly fizzled out :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Jayop wrote: »
    Leicester A
    Hull H
    Liverpool A
    Arsenal H

That's a tough set of fixtures!!

Could easily drop a lot of points there.

You could be right tbf, if given a free role the way DiMaria played on the left side of the three man midfield for Madrid, though the opposite side of that coin would mean that you might not get the best out of Pogba due to him having more defensive duties.

Ya thats the flip side. Still hoping Pogba will develop the defensive side of his game. He has time on his side

• Advertisement

28 appearances already this season, at 19 years of age you seriously want to tell me he isn't being given opportunities?

How many starts up top?????? If you are comparing him to Lukaku then that is what you gave to look at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

Happy with how the result is going between Spurs and Chelsea right now. United need to strive to win the league this season. Tonight could mark the beginning of the wheels coming off for Chelsea. And there is no team ready to take advantage of that , better than United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Rainman16 wrote: »
    Happy with how the result is going between Spurs and Chelsea right now. United need to strive to win the league this season. Tonight could mark the beginning of the wheels coming off for Chelsea. And there is no team ready to take advantage of that , better than United.

Spurs surely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Remember there used to be an argument over who was better, De Gea or Courtois?
    That fairly fizzled out :pac:

How many clean sheets has De Gea this season?

I don't see this result as wheels coming off for chelsea or imploding it is more of they playing one of the best setup teams and most hardworking teams of the season spurs have not put a foot wrong and Chelsea have still played decent enough.

Even if Chelsea did implode that spurs team is going to be a massive pain in the ass for us and other teams in the top six.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement