Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Top 6 getting even more interesting now. I see a few posters here, Boards not United thread alone, but saying that your the form team etc now after this Chelsea loss and that Chelsea might struggle with a few though games coming up.

For me the first loss isn't the problem it's how you bounce back after that loss, Chelsea could get right back on track next week and go on another long winning streak.

The same could happen to United, loose to Liverpool and it'll be all doom and gloom for a few days but bounce back and go on a 8-9 game win streak after that and your flying again and nobody cares then because your finishing Top 4 in a transitional year with a lot of new players, new manager and a very rocky start to the season.

A few weeks ago lots of posters in here were saying finish as high as possible that Top 4 might be gone, try win EL to guarantee CL for next season. See the difference a few games can make.

Pretty exciting season so far with loads more games to go!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

jayo26 wrote: »
    Bit early for trash talk... They and us are complete different teams since we last won a league they have as much credibility to hang on to form as we do judging by recent seasons... but if you go on recent few games I think pool and arsenal look most vulnerable of the top six teams.

Domestic league failure is in the Liverpool DNA. Out of the top 6 I'd consider them the least likely to win the title. United can kick the chair out from under them on Jan 15th

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Rainman16 wrote: »
    Domestic league failure is in the Liverpool DNA. Out of the top 6 I'd consider them the least likely to win the title. United can kick the chair out from under them on Jan 15th

Just stop.

The club is not the reason for success or failure, its ability and quality. If they fall away this season it will be burn out and or injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

yabadabado wrote: »
    I hope United milk Everton for as much money as possible. Their squad is threadbare so shouldn't be doing them any favours even if Depay is surplus to requirments.

Not be surplus to requirments when he bangs in the winner for them against City on the 15th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Every game from now on seems to be more important than the last. Need to win the next 3 or 4 games to cement themselves into the top 3. One defeat and we'll undo the hard work we've done over the last few weeks. Win these couple of games and I've no doubt we'll have gained on Chelsea. Get to the last 10 games 5 or 6 pts behind and things will really take off. Loving watching them again. Been a really miserable 3 years of absolute puke football (thanks Joe)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Would expect liverpool to go close too. Anyone saying they'll die off its only wishful thinking. Klopp is an excellent manager and has these players playing far above their previous standards. These players look like they'll go through a wall for him and I'd be fearful of them too. Couldn't bear the thought of it but it's highly likely they'll be there or thereabouts in the final few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Would expect liverpool to go close too. Anyone saying they'll die off its only wishful thinking. Klopp is an excellent manager and has these players playing far above their previous standards. These players look like they'll go through a wall for him and I'd be fearful of them too. Couldn't bear the thought of it but it's highly likely they'll be there or thereabouts in the final few weeks

I just wonder if their high intensity game might cause burnout for them further down the line. A few key injuries could cost them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

SteM wrote: »
    I just wonder if their high intensity game might cause burnout for them further down the line. A few key injuries could cost them too.

Playing once a week helps counteract this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

SteM wrote: »

Mane gone for the next month is a big loss to them and would agree with you on high intensity style causing them to burn out easily with the tiny squad they have.

I don't think they have a squad near good enough to win the league just not enough quality and options even if they are playing very well so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Top 6 getting even more interesting now. I see a few posters here, Boards not United thread alone, but saying that your the form team etc now after this Chelsea loss and that Chelsea might struggle with a few though games coming up.

For me the first loss isn't the problem it's how you bounce back after that loss, Chelsea could get right back on track next week and go on another long winning streak.

The same could happen to United, loose to Liverpool and it'll be all doom and gloom for a few days but bounce back and go on a 8-9 game win streak after that and your flying again and nobody cares then because your finishing Top 4 in a transitional year with a lot of new players, new manager and a very rocky start to the season.

A few weeks ago lots of posters in here were saying finish as high as possible that Top 4 might be gone, try win EL to guarantee CL for next season. See the difference a few games can make.

Pretty exciting season so far with loads more games to go!!

Every team is going to have bad results / drop points.

I still think Chelsea will win it however it could well be one of the closest and most exciting finishes to the league.

There's 10 points between 6th and 1st with 7th another 9 back.

There will be a lot of twists and turns to come yet which fills me with equal parts dread and excitement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Rod Munch wrote: »

I still think Chelsea will win it however it could well be one of the closest and most exciting finishes to the league.

There will be a lot of twists and turns to come yet which fills me with equal parts dread and excitement.

Funnily enough, after 20 games last season West Ham were in 6th and were exactly 10 points behind Arsenal in 1st. (we were in 5th).

Rod Munch wrote: »

I think Chelsea will win it as well. Personally I see Liverpool staying in the top 4 all going well, after that I have no idea but I think United will just sneak it, maybe securing Top four with wins in those second and third last game and costing one of those teams a place.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I think Chelsea will win it as well. Personally I see Liverpool staying in the top 4 all going well, after that I have no idea but I think United will just sneak it, maybe securing Top four with wins in those second and third last game and costing one of those teams a place.

I kinda see it like that with the 4th going to City or Arsenal whoever ballses up the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Round 38

1. CHELSEA

2. MAN UTD

3. SPURS

4. LIVERPOOL

Jayop wrote: »
    I kinda see it like that with the 4th going to City or Arsenal whoever ballses up the least.

It's bloody hard to call either way :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

It's actually nice to see the thread so busy and it's not even transfer discussion, seems to be some new posters too. Really enjoying a bit of positivity and some wins this season.

Looking forward to the reading game, hopefully Zlatan and Pogba finally get a breather, give Rashford or Martial a run up top.

Hopefully a fair few are rested for the cup games no point flogging Zlatan,Pogba and Carrick.
    Time to give Martial Rashford Young etc a start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Yeah, that would be totally the same as bringing in the player who is still left back for France and a quality performer for Juve too. Totally the same.

It wasn't meant to be taken seriously.
    Unlike some who actually think signing 35 year old Evra back to the club where his last few years were a disaster is somehow a good idea.

Winning a league in his 2nd last season was a disaster?

He was far from a disaster, he just wasn't as good as he he was in his earlier years. Was still a class player and would still do a job for us if signed on a 6 month contract

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Jayop wrote: »

After Pep saying CL is so important for City to be in - 5th or 6th please :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

bangkok wrote: »

He was far from a disaster, he just wasn't as good as he he was in his earlier years. Was still a class player and would still do a job for us if signed on a 6 month contract

He wouldn't. He really really wouldn't. Stop living on nostalgia and join the real world. We have far better options on the bench than him.

• Advertisement

He wouldn't. He really really wouldn't. Stop living on nostalgia and join the real world. We have far better options on the bench than him.

He is still better than rojo or darmian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Danny Drinkwater as a potential midfield buy? English, mid 20's, Good passer, Good engine, Good replacement for Carrick?, Available for decent money?

What do you guys think? We got to buy some homegrown lads at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

GSPfan wrote: »
    Danny Drinkwater as a potential midfield buy? English, mid 20's, Good passer, Good engine, Good replacement for Carrick?, Available for decent money?

What's the decent price? £90m to buy him back is it? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

You'll get players of a similar ability for far less. Drinkwater will carry the same 'English Tax' that sees horribly average players going for stupid money. Not saying he's average, just that you may be ripped off as he's English and Leicester have no reason to sell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

duffman13 wrote: »
    It's actually nice to see the thread so busy and it's not even transfer discussion, seems to be some new posters too. Really enjoying a bit of positivity and some wins this season.

Looking forward to the reading game, hopefully Zlatan and Pogba finally get a breather, give Rashford or Martial a run up top.

Kevin Kilbane was speaking earlier about leaving the ground after doing commentary on the Boro game. He said the contrast to last season was like night and day. The crowd outside were bouncing compared to the boredom and drudgery of last season. He said the atmosphere in the ground in the last 10 minutes or so was unreal. It was missing under LVG as United just passed the ball around and barely got into the opposition box.

Nowhere near good enough to replace Carrick .He would have been a decent squad option if he had stayed around.
    Kante made him look very good last year and I'd hate to know what sorta cash Leicester would expect for him.

United will need to keep an eye on the home grown quota but I'm sure there are plenty of options available to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

adox wrote: »
    5 European cups and 18 league title would suggest otherwise.

And Gerrard isn't around to make it slip away from them this time either.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    You'll get players of a similar ability for far less. Drinkwater will carry the same 'English Tax' that sees horribly average players going for stupid money. Not saying he's average, just that you may be ripped off as he's English and Leicester have no reason to sell

Yeah but you have to pay the English tax every so often because you need to meet the quota
    Not saying I'd go for Danny BTW.

• Advertisement

Honestly, I haven't seen worse from either of them consistently than I did from Evra during his last season at United. It was a bad. Alexander Buttner was actually a relief in a few of those games he played.

Anyway, these reports about a return scream of something wholly created by Agent Evra himself. He has "told friends" about him wanting to see out his career at United? Funny he made no mention of that publicly last season when the ship was sinking at Old Trafford and he was getting a lot more game-time at Juve. Absolutely no United source on this, not even "inside sources", it's all coming from Paddy's side.

As for Rio's comment which doused fuel on Evra's spark - "What's this I'm hearing on social media about you coming home??" - Rio and Paddy are close friends, and two all-time messin' bastards to go with that, especially when it comes to social media. I wouldn't put it past Paddy to ask Rio for a very simple favour to add to the speculation, be it for a genuine attempt to get a move back, to improve his situation at Juve, and/or just for a bit of craic during the Serie A Winter break.

Note that there is absolutely no harm in Rio's comment - He's not saying "What am I hearing from members of the press?" or "What am I hearing from sources at the club?" - A harmless comment which doesn't reflect poorly on Rio or implicate anyone else, or contain anything which he has to back up. "...on social media" Not exactly a very specific source, not exactly a bastion of truth, same gutter the rest of us scooped it up from. Likewise, there's no harm in Evra making a bit noise to try to improve his own situation once it doesn't disrupt things at the club. "Nice try" and "Touché" you cheeky buggers.

I like Paddy as much as the next United fan and would love to see him back at the club in a non-playing capacity in the future. He's amusing on social media and all that, is a strong personality and "really gets United, man". However, when you take the rose-tinted glasses and nostalgia watch off and throw the member-berries in the bin, this wouldn't be a good signing.

And before anyone says "but...experience", yes it's important in a successful team, but John O'Shea is still out there playing and loaded to the gills with experience. He could maybe help Daley Blind up a couple of rungs on that utility ladder. Where do we stop seeking experience from? There's a fine line and a delicate balancing act between providing younger/developing players with experience (Zlatan), and pissing them off and making them feel a bit useless and devoid of a future at the club (Scholes and Pogba. Even though we won the league that season it doesn't negate my point.)

The club should be looking forward rather than back when it comes to adding to the squad. Apart from Ronaldo, there's no former United players of that age and experience bracket still playing who could add to the team or squad in a notable way. If Shaw, Blind, Darmian, Rojo, Young aren't to the fans' liking or even the manager's, we should be looking for something a bit more permanent.

Everything I did say above, what I didn't say was "Jose won't do this". At the moment Evra has made a bit of harmless noise. I just think that despite his great history with the club and the current uncertainly about the LB position, Jose shouldn't respond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Liverpool are bottlers? Ah here relax lads.

We blew a league in 2012.

Still think Chelsea will win it but not over by long way, but im just concentrating on top 4.

Too many teams to beat to win league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Liverpool have found themselves in a great position here. Have grinded out results much better than they have in a few recent seasons. Now they need to chuck a wedge of cash at Klopp this window. I'd have 2-3 players signed by the time they play United if I was them. It makes no sense when they are short on quality and numbers in 3 or 4 positions not to go big on them. It's one of the best chances they'll have to win the league.

duffman13 wrote: »

It's essential Zlatan gets a rest and tbh I think I'd leave him out of both games before Liverpool. Pogba is only a youngfella so he'll play at least one I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Playing once a week helps counteract this

If they progress in the FA Cup they could still have some fixture congestion later in the season though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Robson99 wrote: »
    Haven't seen him have many good games against the big teams but maybe I'm being a bit harsh on him

Being very harsh.

Everton are a bit of an over rated team imo, that Martinez was sacked for seemingly not meeting the "potential" of that team was ridiculous, it has some horrendously average players and mid table - 7th is about their lot.

That he has hit those figures for his age, in the two teams he has been in, is the reason you should be looking at him as an exceptional talent. He is playing with vastly inferior players around him.

Put him in a team with players better or on par? Devastating

• Advertisement

Rainman16 wrote: »
    Liverpool wouldn't win the title if they gave it away in a raffle. They are born losers and bottlers, They will fade away in the run in

This username isn't familiar to me, BUT I LIKE IT

No thanks. Not an upgrade on anything we have and personally don't believe he is good enough for the level we are aiming for.

I wouldn't touch of any Leicester players still there. As suspected it was the perfect storm for them last year with most of their players hitting a level that likely they wouldn't reach again, and their insipid form this season shows they have been happy to sit on their lorals and bask in the glory.

If Mourinho is going to try really put us back to the fore, we need players ready for the fight and grind season after season, week after week.

Most Leicester players I'd say have scuppered any big move they had in mind after having their CL season. Mahrez for example, I'd say no one will touch off him now that would be recognised as a proper big club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

stankratz wrote: »
    Anyway, these reports about a return scream of something wholly created by Agent Evra himself. He has "told friends" about him wanting to see out his career at United? Funny he made no mention of that publicly last season when the ship was sinking at Old Trafford and he was getting a lot more game-time at Juve. Absolutely no United source on this, not even "inside sources", it's all coming from Paddy's side.

Actually, I read in December 2015 and January 2016 on UWS, as well as a re-assertion of it this week (from a different person) that United had a deal in place to bring back a fan favorite (hinter at the time to be Evra, asserted again recently to be the case) to bolster defensive options but LVG had second thoughts about the deal and cancelled at the last moments.

Maybe it was lies then and lies now, but if it is true (in the same vein as the current stories being true) then Evra did want to join last season when the ship was sinking, as you put it.

Liam O wrote: »
    Liverpool have found themselves in a great position here. Have grinded out results much better than they have in a few recent seasons. Now they need to chuck a wedge of cash at Klopp this window. I'd have 2-3 players signed by the time they play United if I was them. It makes no sense when they are short on quality and numbers in 3 or 4 positions not to go big on them. It's one of the best chances they'll have to win the league.

I doubt Liverpool board will throw much money at Klopp to buy 2 or 3 players .They probably don't have the cash to spend big on a couple of players in January especially when they didn't do it in the summer.

Didn't they basically only spend what they raised from sales last summer ?Probably be more of the same this year .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Maybe it was lies then and lies now, but if it is true (in the same vein as the current stories being true) then Evra did want to join last season when the ship was sinking, as you put it.

There is absolutely no chance Evra wanted to leave Juve last season. He was first choice, on the way to winning Serie A and a decent champions league chance.
    Where do you pluck these ideas from?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Where do you pluck these ideas from?

Its quite clearly stated in his post :confused:
    Actually, I read in December 2015 and January 2016 on UWS, as well as a re-assertion of it this week (from a different person).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

zerks wrote: »
    Kevin Kilbane was speaking earlier about leaving the ground after doing commentary on the Boro game. He said the contrast to last season was like night and day. The crowd outside were bouncing compared to the boredom and drudgery of last season. He said the atmosphere in the ground in the last 10 minutes or so was unreal. It was missing under LVG as United just passed the ball around and barely got into the opposition box.

It's great to have the expectation that something is gonna happen. It's been sorely missed for a few years. Ideally you just want to see your team win but United have been entertaining in the last few months which is something we've rarely seen in the last 3 years.

I think we will make one signing in the window but I'm relatively happy with the squad at present and the team ethic that's in the squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Its quite clearly stated in his post :confused:

Where is this article or anything to suggest Evra was linked with a move back last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think we sign Lindelof.

Schneiderlin and Memphis are sold.

Maybe cover for Carrick is bought, or Bastian is kept and utilised in less important games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

RobertKK wrote: »
    I think we sign Lindelof.

Schneiderlin and Memphis are sold.

Maybe cover for Carrick is bought, or Bastian is kept and utilised in less important games.

Speaking of Memphis, this might be a good move for him

https://twitter.com/RBairner/status/816949226978607105

astradave wrote: »
    Speaking of Memphis, this might be a good move for him

https://twitter.com/RBairner/status/816949226978607105

I was just about to post that. I'm surprised there hasn't been renewed talk of a move to Everton due to Bolasie being out for a year. They are short a wide man now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

He'll be Di Maria 2.0 over in France :pac:

MagicIRL wrote: »
    He'll be Di Maria 2.0 over in France :pac:

High hopes followed by disappointment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I rather if Depay goes to another PL club on loan, see how he gets on. He may prove us wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

zerks wrote: »
    High hopes followed by disappointment?

Bingo! :pac:

Score some screamers against horrific opposition before he's found out when the going gets tough.

Shame it never worked out but goodnight and good luck.

Tell Griezman the #7 is waiting for him :cool:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement