Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Headshot wrote: »
    I rather if Depay goes to another PL club on loan, see how he gets on. He may prove us wrong

Only bought because the manager was Dutch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Where is this article or anything to suggest Evra was linked with a move back last year?

Read the post and LTSC's helpful reply to you again.

it was via UWS (United We Stand)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

MagicIRL wrote: »

Tell Griezman the #7 is waiting for him :cool:

Where would you play him? Pogba has been great lately, and getting better still. He occupies the same space in our team as Griezman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Only bought because the manager was Dutch.

I dont think that was the case.He was highly regarded with a number of clubs interested in him.Dutch player of the year and seems to tick a lot of boxs.

Hasn't worked out so may as well ship him out now and get in someone Jose wants around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

DM_7 wrote: »
    Read the post and LTSC's helpful reply to you again.

it was via UWS (United We Stand)

I'm looking for a link if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Then some in the media want to invent stories.
    Lothar Matthaus said ‘It will be really tough for Muller to fight himself back into the starting XI in the second half of the season,’

So the media say he could be surplus to requirements as he doesn't fit into Ancelotti's system, which has badly affected his goal scoring form, and that Jose is a big fan.

But it is hard to see where he would fit into United's system and one can argue the same with Griezmann.

Not that Muller will be sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Tom.D.BJJ wrote:
    Where would you play him? Pogba has been great lately, and getting better still. He occupies the same space in our team as Griezman.

Operating in a box to box capacity and utilized for defensive set pieces? Griezmann would have a free role high up the pitch, playing through the centre off a frontman.

The current system we operate has three midfielders and two wide forwards. Griezmann in that system would take a wide forward position, but that wouldn't be maximising what he could contribute to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

astradave wrote: »
    Speaking of Memphis, this might be a good move for him

https://twitter.com/RBairner/status/816949226978607105

I'd prefer if we sent him on loan to a PL club for the rest of the season. I think he could definitely excel and do great in the French league but that doesn't really tell us if he can do the same at the PL. There's a lot of solid PL clubs that would be great for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'm looking for a link if possible.

Why do people feel they have a right to demand a link if you want to prove him wrong go find the link he was only discussing Evra but as it is united we stand is a private forum u have to pay for it so he can't provide you a link...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

astradave wrote: »
    Speaking of Memphis, this might be a good move for him

https://twitter.com/RBairner/status/816949226978607105

Club president quoted today as saying they were interested, as are many clubs, but the club (Manchester United) are only looking to sell, and the valuation is out of their price range.

Looks like club only want to sell and are looking to recoup £22m+

I think it's a touch ridiculous. A loan move would be more prudent at a minimum, nevermind the fact he's just being ignored. Selling Everton Schneiderlan for a lower fee, but also sending them Memphis on loan with them taking some of his wages just sounds like a smart move. Coach who rates him, team who are in dire need of a left sided player and will likely get good game time there.

At 22 he has every chance of going to achieve his potential still.

Bit scary how United has been a bit of a graveyard for upward trending players in the last few years : /

Separately, I'm coming round to the idea of trying a hostile purchase of Sanchez. Obvious premier league experience is nice, and proven quality. Age might not be ideal ,but he's a pacey, ready made quality player. Out of contract in 18 months and is clear as day to me leaving. We should start whispering sweet melodies in his agents ear imo.

Massive upgrade and guaranteed starter on the left of our front three. January move unlikely for obvious reasons, but in the summer a £25m-28m offer shouldn't be out of the question. **** paying mad money for someone winding down their contract, but sure does sound nice when I say it out loud. A Van Persie esque signing if you will

VW 1 wrote: »
    The current system we operate has three midfielders and two wide forwards. Griezmann in that system would take a wide forward position, but that wouldn't be maximising what he could contribute to the team.

So we either sacrifice his creativity or Pogba's in the current system. That would be a waste of tens of million though, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Headshot wrote: »
    I rather if Depay goes to another PL club on loan, see how he gets on. He may prove us wrong

Very much agree with this! Give him a run of games elsewhere then re-asses in the summer

It great buying and being linked to big name players put no point buying lads and shoehorning them into the formation.
    Griezmann is a fantastic player but unless he is going to be able to play in his best position is it worth the fee?

Direct replacements for Carrick and Zlatan to me should be the priority,a proper winger would also add a lot to the system being used.

And in other wild Doc transfer speculation and basis of potential(I got new FM for Christmas :P ). The Barkley situation is one I think worth keeping an eye on.

There might be an outrageous English tax, but at the same time if the players relationship continues to degrade with the manager and he wants to force something through in the summer if this season doesn't go well?

Can't help feel there is a monster midfielder in there. And I mean midfielder. All the queries and "what's his best position" he looks like a box to box midfielder to me. Him mirroring Pogba in a midfield three, with someone disciplined sitting behind.

Just an idea thats been bobbling around my head. Seems I'm incidentally watching a lot of Everton again this season as they have some decent televised games at times when nothing much else on. I'm looking at Barkley and thinking for all the credit Koeman gets(which I don't think it well placed) he's making a bags of that lad.

yabadabado wrote: »
    It great buying and being linked to big name players put no point buying lads and shoehorning them into the formation.
    Griezmann is a fantastic player but unless he is going to be able to play in his best position is it worth the fee?

Direct replacements for Carrick and Zlatan to me should be the priority,a proper winger would also add a lot to the system being used.

What is Griezmanns actual position?

For a world class player, I'm come to realise I see him very little and actually know **** all about him. I tend to not watch Athletico in the CL. And him playing for France in the euros was about as much as I've ever seen of him.

Is he a striker, 10 or something that just can play anywhere in the front line?

His goals and assists rates seem very impressive. Results wise Athletico a bit meh this season but his numbers still seem decent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Very much agree with this! Give him a run of games elsewhere then re-asses in the summer
    I'd be happy enough for him to leave.

He'd be grand in a counter attacking team but he doesn't possess the touch or ball-control to unlock defenses in a league when so many put 11 behind the ball against United.

TheDoc wrote: »

For a world class player, I'm come to realise I see him very little and actually know **** all about him. I tend to not watch Athletico in the CL. And him playing for France in the euros was about as much as I've ever seen of him.

His goals and assists rates seem very impressive. Results wise Athletico a bit meh this season but his numbers still seem decent

He is a striker for Madrid and scores most his goals there but he plays put wide for France and does create alot there he can play similar to Miki across the park but I think he is most beneficial as a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

TheDoc wrote: »

Kind of a withdrawn striker. Dribbles from deep with pace and flair. Very direct. Well capable of playing as one of the wide forwards in a 4-3-3 though too. Wouldn't think it would work great having him as a lone striker in the PL but Arsenal got some joy playing Sanchez there so who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

jayo26 wrote: »
    Why do people feel they have a right to demand a link if you want to prove him wrong go find the link he was only discussing Evra but as it is united we stand is a private forum u have to pay for it so he can't provide you a link...

I don't believe Evra was ever linked with a move back last year so I don't need to 'prove him wrong'.
    He hasn't stated it as fact anyway so fair enough.
    I was just looking for the article that linked Utd with an ex player (a fan favourite)...and how he somehow managed to think that was Evra. Or where ever he heard or read it
    I know it's a rumours forum but there needs to be some basis of a point.

I would be delighted if United bought Griezmann and you gotta assume Jose would have a plan for him and know how to get the best from him.He is a very talented player and maybe he would work well from a wide position but from what I have seen he looks best as a withdrawn striker similar positions we want Pogba in.

Griezmann playing a similar role to what Hazard does with Chelsea might be a good role for him.

• Advertisement

Any ideas on a replacement for Carrick? Is Verratti a realistic target?

Tom.D.BJJ wrote:
    So we either sacrifice his creativity or Pogba's in the current system. That would be a waste of tens of million though, right?

Or change the system to look to get the best out of both? Its not going to happen in January so who knows what system and players to fit it we will have at the end of the summer.

Tom.D.BJJ wrote:

Or change the system to look to get the best out of both? Its not going to happen in January so who knows what system and players to fit it we will have at the end of the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I don't believe Evra was ever linked with a move back last year so I don't need to 'prove him wrong'.
    He hasn't stated it as fact anyway so fair enough.
    I was just looking for the article that linked Utd with an ex player (a fan favourite)...and how he somehow managed to think that was Evra. Or where ever he heard or read it
    I know it's a rumours forum but there needs to be some basis of a point.

UWS forum has banned users before for posting info/articles outside it's userbase as it's a paid forum/subscription. Anyways he is just passing on info that he has read on UWS previously and I don't think he is trying to be an ITK as such

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Manchester United have launched a £32.5 million bid for Roma centre-back Kostas Manolas, according to reports.

The Sun claim that Jose Mourinho has turned his attention to the Greece international as United’s move for Benfica’s Victor Lindelof has stalled.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/05/manchester-united-launch-32-5m-bid-for-roma-centre-back-kostas-manolas-6362849/#ixzz4UtWVqh53

Sam Johnstone has joined Villa on a 6 month loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The Sun :pac::pac::pac:

zerks wrote: »

Id love manolas he is a top quality center back really really quick too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Didn't some say this about Zlatan?

What makes you think the formation is permanent? The formation used now may be just to get the best from what he has now.

Also roles are fluid, a players exact position for one club may not be best for him elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Of all the things said about Zlatan I don't think concern about shoehorning him in was one of them. We all knew he was quality in a position we needed it, the problem was his age and whether he would adapt or not.

• Advertisement

I dont recall anyone really having that issue with the Zlatan transfer.

What makes you think the formation is permanent? The formation used now may be just to get the best from what he has now.

Also roles are fluid, a players exact position for one club may not be best for him elsewhere.

I'm not saying the formation is permanent nor that it can't change I'm just making the point that for me Griezmann and Pogba are both at their best in a very similar position and it may not be best practice to have both players.
    I'd obviously love to see Griezmann join and be a huge success just there may be better option s available to Jose and it's not always the superstar player that is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I dont recall anyone really having that issue with the Zlatan transfer.

There were definitely some (myself included) who were skeptical as to whether his advancing age could be a problem in the PL. But I certainly don't remember anyone questioning his quality.

Fortunately he has put egg all over my face and shown himself to be some sort of terminator type machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I'm not saying the formation is permanent nor that it can't change I'm just making the point that for me Griezmann and Pogba are both at their best in a very similar position and it may not be best practice to have both players.
    I'd obviously love to see Griezmann join and be a huge success just there may be better option s available to Jose and it's not always the superstar player that is required.

I'll have to disagree. In my opion Pogba plays primarily cm.yes he drifts but starting phases of play that's where he's at his best. Griezman is at his best in the final third of the pitch. He started out wide for Athlethico and through player sales and injurys ended up centrally. I don't think he can play as a lone cf but any of the 3 positions behind that (or the 2 wide berths if it's 4-3-3 )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I wonder if Bayern rang to see if that €120 million offer was still valid given recent comments about Muller

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/817038262229434368

I'd definitely take him if the price was right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/817038262229434368

I'd definitely take him if the price was right.

Given what was said in the summer, I'd be shocked if we aren't linked heavily to him now. IIRC, £6-8m was the price touted in the summer, and 6 months on and a transfer request submitted, I'd imagine he could be round £5m now...

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Given what was said in the summer, I'd be shocked if we aren't linked heavily to him now. IIRC, £6-8m was the price touted in the summer, and 6 months on and a transfer request submitted, I'd imagine he could be round £5m now...

Experienced CB and knows the league,5m would be fair for him.

Experienced CB and knows the league,5m would be fair for him.

Probably off to Everton.

• Advertisement

Probably off to Everton.

Be a good move for him ,Koeman needs to get something done there.They have been terrible at the back so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Too old, past it, won't be able to adapt :)

1ZlmN18.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

On the whole Pogba and Griezmann not being able to play together thing...

Ahh, France?

Pogba may not have had an outstanding Euro's (was still good, just blown out of proportion because of how much we were about to pay for him), the rest of his French career has been quality, while Griezmann was player of the tournament.

Unbelievable, Bournemouth lost their appeal for the Francis red card but West Ham had the Feghouli red rescinded.

I'm not surprised they don't like them kinda tackles he went in with both studs up and legs apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Unbelievable, Bournemouth lost their appeal for the Francis red card but West Ham had the Feghouli red rescinded.

Feghouli's was against Man United though... therefore the world was outraged.

Honestly didn't think Feghouli would get his rescinded. Whatever about the contact, he was off the ground and out of control. He didn't deserve a red but still didn't think they would rescind due to the fact he was off the ground and it was an easy out for the FA and referee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Was Herrara's ridiculous red card against Burnley overturned?

Utd have been getting screwed royally all season, Jose needs to keep reminding people of that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Korat wrote: »
    Was Herrara's ridiculous red card against Burnley overturned?

Utd have been getting screwed royally all season, Jose needs to keep reminding people of that.

Afaik, you can only appeal straight Red's. Herrera was two yellows so we couldn't actually appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Quiz time. No googling the answer...

Fergie signed 99 players - 4 were African - names ?

Jayop wrote: »

Fortune, Evra, and two others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Jayop wrote: »

Fortune demba demba manucho
    Is that 4?!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement