Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Not sure if it's a negative or positive that Schneiderlin will be debuting against City

A positive to my mind, for all that it didn't work out here he is still a very good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Nalz wrote: »
    Chatting bollocks! As a joke. We're all happy... I think :)

Btw I've never heard the term "chatting bollocks" before

"Talking pony" is something I saw that people raise eyebrows at. I'm convinced it's a used term!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Evra? Essien? Who's next? Drogba?

Dont be deluded its only gonna be Scholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Anyone fancy us for the treble this year.

League
    FA Cup
    Europa League

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

League
    FA Cup
    Europa League

What about the league cup? You know the one we're in semi final against Hull.

And no I don't fancy it!

Not sure if it's a negative or positive that Schneiderlin will be debuting against City

If Koeman uses him properly? Positive, he'll steamroll through that City midfield which is limp as ****.

I originally saw him as a DM but then soon came to realise he's a box to box midfielder who is just good at being defensive. I'd probably still maintain some thoughts that if he was used properly and got a fair chance, he'd be in ahead of Ander.

While I like Hererra, I havn't been totally convinced, and I'd say in that position himself and Schneiderlan could have been pretty interchangeable.

As mentioned numerous times, CM cover now required in January or Mourinho opening himself up to slaughter for poor squad management.

Veron came out of retirement there at 41 for his local team, can't believe we didn't go in for him : /

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

League
    FA Cup
    Europa League

Ah the old mickey mouse treble. Yeah I'd take your hand off for that right now.

Here's the presser. I'll fix the embedding later.

https://youtu.be/lsm6apY8eg0

Edit: thought you said league cup, not the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

What about the league cup? You know the one we're in semi final against Hull.

And no I don't fancy it!

Sound all 4 it is then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

TheDoc wrote: »

If Koeman uses him properly? Positive, he'll steamroll through that City midfield which is limp as ****.

I originally saw him as a DM but then soon came to realise he's a box to box midfielder who is just good at being defensive. I'd probably still maintain some thoughts that if he was used properly and got a fair chance, he'd be in ahead of Ander.

While I like Hererra, I havn't been totally convinced, and I'd say in that position himself and Schneiderlan could have been pretty interchangeable.

As mentioned numerous times, CM cover now required in January or Mourinho opening himself up to slaughter for poor squad management.
    Do you really think he is a box to box midfielder? He has zero creativity about him. He was unreal defensively when playing in a pairing of two deep lying midfielders. 
    I would love to know Mourinho's actual opinion of him and why he didn't play him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

What the quotes I've seen from Jose today it looks like Basti will be staying. Add to that Mourinho has said before he will only sell players that want to leave and Schweinstiger semms keen to remain.

In midfield you have Herrera, Pogba and Carrick. With Fellani, Blind, Basti and Fosu-Mensah all capable of playing there. In addition the formation can be changed to accommodate players like Rooney and Mata into more attacking midfield roles.

It really baffles me when I see people taking a "poor squad management" when they have absolutely no idea about how players are performing in training, what formations the management have in mind, or what potential transfers in and out there will be.

I think Mourinho will know a little more about squad management than an of us here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Herrera and Schneiderlin couldnt be more different if they tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Seven years since Wayne Rooney last won player of the month.

Well done Zlatan.

adox wrote: »
    Herrera and Schneiderlin couldnt be more different if they tried.

And that is not exactly a bad thing to have in your midfield arsenal no?

They both have positives and negatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Good chance of Rooney breaking the record tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

And that is not exactly a bad thing to have in your midfield arsenal no?

They both have positives and negatives.

Not at all but you were talking about them as being alternatives to fill the same roll, unless I mis-read your post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Bobby Charlton :D

He might want to retake his record if Rooney scores at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

J. Marston wrote: »

I feel like I've been hearing this since August :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

J. Marston wrote: »

How long have we been saying that now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

The gap between the Championship and PL is huge.

Huge? I dunno Mitch I think that's debatable. Brighton, Reading and Newcastle could hold their own against 8 or 9 teams in the prem. If some of the more bigger clubs rest a lot of players against these teams I think they'd be asking for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Cue Rooney playing as a RB :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Huge? I dunno Mitch I think that's debatable. Brighton, Reading and Newcastle could hold their own against 8 or 9 teams in the prem. If some of the more bigger clubs rest a lot of players against these teams I think they'd be asking for it.

If Newcastle could they wouldn't have been relegated last season. Look at hull with no investment in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

Agreed, The gap is not that big at all. The difference is premiership players tend to put in premier league level performances the majority of the time

Championship players are capable of premiership like performances but do it probably less than half the time

all percentages pulled out of my back side with no heat maps, but you get the point :D

If Newcastle could they wouldn't have been relegated last season. Look at hull with no investment in the summer.

True. But if Brighton or Newcastle were playing Hull, Swansea, Palace, Stoke, Burnley or Sunderland in the FA Cup... I wouldn't comfortably part with a significant amount of money to back those Premiership teams.

That for me would not mean that the gap is small, but also that its not "huge".

adox wrote: »
    Not at all but you were talking about them as being alternatives to fill the same roll, unless I mis-read your post?

Well yeah.

Maybe I shouldn't have said role as that might have indicated I think they do the same thing when as you say, they do different things.

Alternative in Ander's position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

killwill wrote: »
    Do you really think he is a box to box midfielder? He has zero creativity about him. He was unreal defensively when playing in a pairing of two deep lying midfielders. 
    I would love to know Mourinho's actual opinion of him and why he didn't play him.

I'm sure I remember a story in MEN or the Mail alluding to Schneiderlin having an attitude problem. And his treatment thus far would point that way.

He could be great in training but if he is not behind Jose he's a dead man walking. The players' willingness to give 100% for the manager trumps all, you look at the likes of Liverpool and Bournemouth where some average players play out of their skin for the manager. Fergie got the most out of some questionable players talent wise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Just looking at Reading's form, they seem to concede a lot of goals relative to their league position. It should be an entertaining game. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If we get Schweinsteiger functioning in our team, it would be like a new signing, and could really help with switching with Carrick to give him some rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

RobertKK wrote: »
    If we get Schweinsteiger functioning in our team, it would be like a new signing, and could really help with switching with Carrick to give him some rest.

I think the exact same was said 18 months ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Hopefully we see him on the pitch tomorrow!!

https://twitter.com/bschweinsteiger/status/817416212758011905

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Looking like carrick will be signing a new one year deal. Excellent news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

True. But if Brighton or Newcastle were playing Hull, Swansea, Palace, Stoke, Burnley or Sunderland in the FA Cup... I wouldn't comfortably part with a significant amount of money to back those Premiership teams.

That for me would not mean that the gap is small, but also that its not "huge".

Stoke no way deserve to be in that list of teams.picking the 2 best championship teams against the worst EPL teams doesn't show the full picture.There is a big gap between Championship and EPL in a one off game and EPL resting players you get an odd upset but not many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Aye, Stoke are having a bit of a mare this year but they are a decent team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

bangkok wrote: »
    Looking like carrick will be signing a new one year deal. Excellent news

Fully deserved and a good move by Jose.Carrick replacement can be signed in the summer and eased into the team .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

yabadabado wrote: »
    Fully deserved and a good move by Jose.Carrick replacement can be signed in the summer and eased into the team .

Never mention in the best-ever-signings lists but should be?

From 2005/06...

LlDo8o6.jpg

Initially, I thought "Jaysus, Stam played so recently? Seems like much longer ago", then realised it is much longer ago. A good 11 years at this stage :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

stankratz wrote: »
    From 2005/06...

Initially, I thought "Jaysus, Stam played so recently? Seems like much longer ago", then realised it is much longer ago. A good 11 years at this stage :(

Zlatan is a hot man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

If Memphis leaves in this window do you think Adnan or Perriera will be called back ? Assuming we can recall them of course.

Arguably we have enough quality to get by untill the summer.

Zlatan is a hot man.

Whatever he is, even as a younger player he he was fearless. Stam would have achieved his 'hard bastard' badges long by then, and would have been renowned for them. Zlatan didn't seem to give much of a fúck though.

Great photo of the two in fairness.

Edit: Is Gattuso holding back Stam, or taking cover? Does Gattuso even know himself? :pac:

• Advertisement

stankratz wrote: »

Edit: Is Gattuso holding back Stam, or taking cover? Does Gattuso even know himself? :pac:

Actually looks like Gattuso started the fight and he is placing Stam in the middle to do the hard work.

Infairness Gattuso was no softy either but I remember him picking on Joe Jordan the former spurs coach giving him a headbutt and Jordan fought back.

Edit: how do i embed YouTube videos again lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

beno619 wrote: »
    If Memphis leaves in this window do you think Adnan or Perriera will be called back ? Assuming we can recall them of course.

Arguably we have enough quality to get by untill the summer.

No chance, I doubt we will ever see either in a United shirt ever again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

https://YouTube/CDs1Tw2UvzU just copy and paste the bit after YouTube/ so CDs1Tw2UvzU

bangkok wrote: »
    No chance, I doubt we will ever see either in a United shirt ever again

Id agree on adnan but Pereira should and will hopefully be given a chance.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Stoke no way deserve to be in that list of teams.picking the 2 best championship teams against the worst EPL teams doesn't show the full picture.There is a big gap between Championship and EPL in a one off game and EPL resting players you get an odd upset but not many.

I get your point, but I for one wouldn't take a punt on Stoke beating the top sides in the championship, especially if they rested players. I don't see it as a huge gap. Take Stoke out of that list then. I see a gap but huge? Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Is the match on TV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Pheonix10 wrote:
    Is the match on TV?

BT sport 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Is the match on TV?

BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Is the match on TV?

Yup on lots of channels.

http://liveonsat.com/los_soc_br_eng_ALL.php

Just not terrestrial ones

So jose says this man united team is one of his Best teams play wise I donno if I'd agree there but we definitely going in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

jayo26 wrote: »
    So jose says this man united team is one of his Best teams play wise I donno if I'd agree there but we definitely going in the right direction.

He's having a laugh.

What's Ander, the new Roy Keane?

Martial the new giggs?

Pogba / scholes?

Get off the stage Jose....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement