Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Without Carrick in the team we wouldn't be even sitting in 6th
    Maybe the required quality for that position is still not available, he's having one of his finest seasons
    No harm in another year and have him as secondary next season while a full time replacement is brought into the team in the
    summer
    I would like to think Carrick and ibra share similarities when it comes to rubbishing the notion that at your mid thirties you are suddenly in decline.

Without Scholes coming back we might not have won the title.

But surely you can see the parallels between the two? Our midfield suffered for years because we kept going back to the same well instead of properly addressing the issues, and with Carrick it seems history is repeating itself.

Without Scholes coming back we might not have won the title.

But surely you can see the parallels between the two? Our midfield suffered for years because we kept going back to the same well instead of properly addressing the issues, and with Carrick it seems history is repeating itself.
    I'm not debating that. He needs replacing we all know that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Not too impressed with Schweinsteiger today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Didn't look bothered at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Nice and handy win

No struggle this year in the third round

Roll on Tuesday night

Lol he hardly played for more than 20 minutes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I know this will sound selfish and sour after an easy win....but I was kind of disappointed, because we should have won by many, many more goals.

But still, I'd much rather have that complaint that where we we last season so I'll shut up now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I know this will sound selfish and sour after an easy win....but I was kind of disappointed, because we should have won by many, many more goals.

But still, I'd much rather have that complaint that where we we last season so I'll shut up now :P

Agreed, but remember at the start of the season we had this same problem and it cost us big time, annoying its still a bit of an issue

Zlatan would have loved to have played topped up his goal tally ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Not so much how he played but he looked a little... plump.

• Advertisement

jaykay74 wrote: »

That comes with not playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Needs to be done though, sooner rather than later. When I hear about new contracts I wonder if we are just repeating the Scholes mistake, sticking with a guy long past the point where it was healthy for the team.

I'd be surprised is José isn't looking at the position.

It's probably the most important bit of business we'll need to get done next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Ah now, should be in tip top shape regardless.

This team are too over-reliant on Ibra and his goals.

Match fitness maybe lacking from lack of games but he shouldn't be so out of shape. Looked like a player from a Man Utd v Liverpool legends game. Not quite razor rudduck but on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

jaykay74 wrote: »

Ah he didn't bother his hole when he came on either. S Todd around when the game went past him in midfield.

Anyway no biggie as he's not part of the plans and rightly so.

Hoping Jose's midfield man comes in this window but think it may be the summer.

If Morgan is sold I would expect a replacement to come in for him but maybe the "the" player that Jose wants to sit behind Pogba and Herrera on a regular basis.

Carrick for all his excellent play and worth throughout the years is still not going to be able to do it against the top teams. He always struggled a bit against them and with his age now he's even less likely to.

Well done to Rooney on equalling the record. Fantastic achievement. Hopefully he breaks it and is moved on in the summer and the squad takes shape properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Jake Humphrey really wants Rooney to break the record against Liverpool.

beno619 wrote: »
    Ah now, should be in tip top shape regardless.

Well he only resumed training in November if I'm correct
    And hasn't had much gametime
    I would like to see evidence of him looking plump. A picture would help

He's been carrying a bit of extra weight since he arrived at Utd.

Well, he was on tv for the last 20 minutes or so jogging slowly around the place.

Scholes shares the same opinion as me - United beat Liverpool and United are in the title race, and Chelsea are not as good as being made out to be.

• Advertisement

Sounds like Jose is lining up Rooney sub to score the winner against Liverpool in the 87th
    Boom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

ashley youngs dive was pathetic as well

Jose seems to be saying the bad period this season, brought the team together and made the team better.

adox wrote: »
    He's been carrying a bit of extra weight since he arrived at Utd.

he has always looked like that, high chest and stomach

http://assets-cdn.ekantipur.com/images/the-kathmandu-post-archive/2015/20150711bastian-schweinsteiger-close-to-manchester-united-move.jpg

bangkok wrote: »
    ashley youngs dive was pathetic as well

ah it wasnt that bad 5.5/10 not his best though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It's a good dive if you get a free kick for it

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

stankratz wrote: »
    This team are too over-reliant on Ibra and his goals.

Not at all.... all of our attack options are more that capable of grabbing goals. You dont drop a player thats in form.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Has Young ever been booked for diving?

I cant remember,he just seems to have it down to a fine art

That been said there is plenty more in the game that have the nack of manufacturing a free

anything on the box at 3 worth watching?

anything on the box at 3 worth watching?

kindergarten Cop on UTV :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

Nice to see a comfortable win after making manychanges and all 4 goals from forwards. Keeping a clean sheet too. Train is purring nicely along....

Nope not the extent he has been since at Utd and perhaps even his last season at Bayern.

I'm aware of his natural physique btw. I'm 50 years of age and a football fan so have come across Mr Schweinstiger in my football watching years.

That's true Mick, but in fairness I wouldn't go just as far as a lol at the OP's sentiment. When Basti came on for 10 minutes v West Ham at the start of December, he was very keen to impose himself on the game. His initiative created the 4th and final goal in that match, plus he had some good touches and passes as well as trying to orchestrate movement around the middle.

I was delighted to see him come on today, but unfortunately saw very little to none of the above. At 2-0 up, I really felt and hoped that a 3rd goal would see him released from the bench. Now, you can't be expecting the same from him in every game as his West Ham appearance in terms of standing out, not from a player who plays so little, but I did notice today how he seemed content to watch the game pass by. To exaggerate the example - Dress him in a ref's kit, and their movements weren't too dissimilar most of the time!

No harm at all in the end. He didn't have a stinker, just barely featured. It's very hard to properly judge him though from off the bench and a few goals up. Just as I wouldn't be using his West Ham appearance to say that he is vital to the squad, I wouldn't be using today's to say that he is of no use to us. Rather than waiting another 5 weeks for another appearance though, I'd like to see him get minutes against Hull on Tuesday, or sometime soon.

I hope that he is part of the squad for the remainder of the season, I wonder if he can be registered for the knockout stages of the Europa. To compete in all competitions, we need the depth in CM if Morgan departs in January.

Plus, it can't be overlooked: Percentage of games won this season where Schweinsteiger featured - 100% :pac:

Today is a good example of why Rashford has so much promise, but also that he is not yet ready.

Because he missed so many chances? Way too small a sample size to support that.

Sure you could take half a dozen games from earlier in the season from Ibra and say he's past it, not sharp enough etc.

phenom wrote: »
    Not at all.... all of our attack options are more that capable of grabbing goals. You dont drop a player thats in form.

I was saying that in jest, because others, mainly Enoch Old Pussycats, have it in their Top 5 United fallacies as of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Just seen that Rooney got MOTM. The English are mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Rashford had a great game today yeh his finishing let him down but Zlatan wouldn't of done better because rashford used his pace and movement to get onto some of them chances. Serious talent of he bulks up and gets meaner.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

That was easy for Rashford, just had to make a run and they left loads of space to run into. Crazy defending.

Whoever Jose gets to watch the opposition had them well scouted as whenever United had the ball deep they were looking for a long pass or in Smallings case ready to run into the midfield when they dropped off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

not ready??! he is more than ready, lad is a serious talent

One of the best prospects I ave seen in years. Some people easily forget hes only 19 and others that knock him know sweet fa about football

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

stankratz wrote: »
    I was saying that in jest, because others, mainly Enoch Old Pussycats, have it in their Top 5 United fallacies as of late.

I see. These obseverers wouldn't be the same people that after a win claim to win the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

jayo26 wrote: »
    Rashford had a great game today yeh his finishing let him down but Zlatan wouldn't of done better because rashford used his pace and movement to get onto some of them chances. Serious talent of he bulks up and gets meaner.

I'd rather not see him bulk up if it slows him down, he's never going to be a conventional hold the ball up number nine like.

Himself Martial Griezeman as a front three would be class. Pace & trickery to burn and completely interchangeable positionally.

There's no big man or conventional nine but Spain won the 2012 Euro's final with a keeper, a back four and six central midfield players (Xabi Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta, Silva, Busquets and Fabregas) starting because they were all technicians and interchangeable, it's impossible to go man to man as nobody is playing in a fixed position. Anyone can turn up anywhere and with such quality players that's a nightmare to defend against.

I'm sure many will disagree but I could see it being an excellent frontline if you got the right two players into midfield alongside Pogba. You would want at least one no nonsense defensive midfielder, like Matic in José's first season back with Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I'd rather not see him bulk up if it slows him down, he's never going to be a conventional hold the ball up number nine like.

Bulking up won't slow him down. Just ask Usain Bolt :)

That's where the word if comes in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Thats not really true, well unless you only want him to do sprints a few hours apart.

• Advertisement

phenom wrote: »
    I see. These obseverers wouldn't be the same people that after a win claim to win the league?

Xao5fZy.gif

I'm resisting, for now. We must be strong, just for 8 more days. Then we can unleash the hounds. ;)

DM_7 wrote: »
    Thats not really true, well unless you only want him to do sprints a few hours apart.

Yeah it's a concern in terms of agility/ability to change direction quickly rather than top speed over a large distance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Martial is on 23 goals for us now, since he joined.

Apparently we owe Monacco €10m when he hits his 25th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Martial is on 23 goals for us now, since he joined.

Apparently we owe Monacco €10m when he hits his 25th.

You look back now and see 50m pus was brilliant business, what a talent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Emmmm lads
    How about Fosu Mensah replacing Carrick,big strong solid guy kinda like Jose normally wants there
    Good positional sense sat right where Carrick was when he came on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement