Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Hull could be interesting mid week. Centre Backs are Huddlestone and Livermore as Dawson went off injured. Meyler is already at full back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Headshot wrote:
    You look back now and see 50m pus was brilliant business, what a talent

And to think so many said who is he and its a waste of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

DM_7 wrote: »
    Thats not really true, well unless you only want him to do sprints a few hours apart.

OK then. Ronaldo, Bale, Valencia etc. We're not talking about him becoming a powerlifter or anything - but could only see a bit of added strength as an asset especially when the sports performance team will make sure he concentrates on stuff that won't impact his game negatively.

He's already something special just as he is though - love Rashford :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭Sand

brinty wrote: »
    And to think so many said who is he and its a waste of money

In fairness, most fans don't have the knowledge or experience of professional scouts/managers. He had transferred in for 5 million only 2 seasons before and scored 10-15 goals over two seasons in Ligue 1 and didnt have a single senior appearance for France. You'd really need to be some sort of footballing rainman to have indepth knowledge of who he was and be confident 50 million was good business. Or the United scouts/management team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Headshot wrote: »
    You look back now and see 50m pus was brilliant business, what a talent

It was hardly a steal.. He has potential but isn't a 50m footballer yet. So in that respect, 50m was a crazy price. Established performers were going for that money.

EDIT: It was 36, rising to 58. That makes it better value. But still, pricey enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

OK then. Ronaldo, Bale, Valencia etc. We're not talking about him becoming a powerlifter or anything - but could only see a bit of added strength as an asset especially when the sports performance team will make sure he concentrates on stuff that won't impact his game negatively.

Oh right, yes they are suitable examples alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

How'd we play today folks?

Havnt seen any highlights yet.

Delighted to see Rashers and Tony getting on the score sheet.

Did Basti get a run?

Similar result midweek would be super, rest some of the main men for the Scouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Bale got leaner not bulkier. He's naturally built much more robustly than Rashford and he looks like a monster now because he's got a naturally impressive frame and he's got his body fat down to a couple of percent.

Rashford is naturally skinny and cannot do the above, he hasn't got the frame for it. None of this is a problem like Messi has never bulked up and it hasn't held him back but the idea of Rashford "bulking up" to an Aguero type physique is asking a lot.

He's your prototypical hard gainer build and he's going to find it extremely hard to put any appreciable size on in a weights room.

The only caveat is he's only 19 so he might "fill out" naturally but I don't see him ever being a player noted for his strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I completely agree with you that I don't think he'll ever be a player noted for his strength, but that's not to say he can't get stronger than he is.

I completely agree with you that I don't think he'll ever be a player noted for his strength, but that's not to say he can't get stronger than he is.

Well then in a stunning turn of events it appears two strangers on the internet have reached an agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Arsenal blessed here not to be a few down. Defending just terribly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Jayop wrote: »
    Arsenal blessed here not to be a few down. Defending just terribly.

Pretty bad alright. Maybe they fancy concentrating on the league this year.

Pretty bad alright. Maybe they fancy concentrating on the league this year.

You'd still expect them to win bit surely they should be targeting the cup now as a path to a trophy. No shame in winning the cup and ending in the top 4 if they can manage that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

You'd still expect them to win bit surely they should be targeting the cup now as a path to a trophy. No shame in winning the cup and ending in the top 4 if they can manage that.

Absolutely. PNE probably live to regret those missed chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Just watched a short program on Sky called Gary Neville: Sporting Triumphs. Its Gary talking about the 99 season. Think its about ten minutes long but between the Arsenal Semi-Final replay and the Champions League Final I reckon they are my two best memories in my years of supporting United. I nearly cry when Sheringham scores, and the Solskjaer goal just makes me smile like a fool. The save from Schmeichel from the Bergkamp peno in the Semi Final also just brings me back to that night and the unreal emotional rollercoaster of that game. Great memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Rashford is naturally skinny and cannot do the above, he hasn't got the frame for it. None of this is a problem like Messi has never bulked up and it hasn't held him back but the idea of Rashford "bulking up" to an Aguero type physique is asking a lot.

He's your prototypical hard gainer build and he's going to find it extremely hard to put any appreciable size on in a weights room.

The only caveat is he's only 19 so he might "fill out" naturally but I don't see him ever being a player noted for his strength.

Couldn't disagree more, he's already gotten noticeably bigger since his debut.

To call a spade a spade he's black so genetically will bulk up easily. I'd look at Welbeck transformation in the space of 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Says the Utd fan from your lofty position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Thought today's game was pretty "meh". Really thought Reading would make a game of it. Wont have an easier game this season.

Obviously pleased overall. Martial looked lethal first half but then did "his thing" just disappeared. Gets knocked off the ball bit too easy. All things to hopefully address as he grows up but that first half was lethal from him. Just need it more consistently.

Rojos injury a big concern. Testament to him and Mourinhos coaching that he's now an important player. Hopefully nothing serious.

Schweinsteigers cryuff turn and pass to Rooney was the only thing that got out of the slouched position today. It's so frustrating , like Zlatan, when players you admire for so long come to your club so late in the day.

Anyway comfortable a win as they come and the streak continues. Hopefully full steam ahead to clatter Liverpool when they turn up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

GSPfan wrote: »
    Just watched a short program on Sky called Gary Neville: Sporting Triumphs. Its Gary talking about the 99 season. Think its about ten minutes long but between the Arsenal Semi-Final replay and the Champions League Final I reckon they are my two best memories in my years of supporting United. I nearly cry when Sheringham scores, and the Solskjaer goal just makes me smile like a fool. The save from Schmeichel from the Bergkamp peno in the Semi Final also just brings me back to that night and the unreal emotional rollercoaster of that game. Great memories.

I remember the 99 final and proper going mental but I was 11 at the time. Hadn't really grasped football and wasn't coherent about it.

The final in Rome is my "big"memory. Was living in the canaries, only United fan in a packed English bar of Chelsea fans. Was absolutely poisoned and in bits at the end and they all just embraced me and we had a rip roaring session.

Gas how different ages and generations views our stuff differently. Like for me, Arsenal was always the big rival. As I got older I understood the Liverpool rivalry. But they'd been mostly ****e for my coherent football life. Arsenal was the big rivalry I deemed important haha

And because of that nostalgia, I seem to always be more invested and emotional when we play Arsenal :D

• Advertisement

Is it wrong to be routing for all the teams above us in the cup games just so they have more games to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

FixitFelix wrote: »

The position of currently holding a trophy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

TheDoc wrote: »
    I remember the 99 final and proper going mental but I was 11 at the time. Hadn't really grasped football and wasn't coherent about it.

The final in Rome is my "big"memory. Was living in the canaries, only United fan in a packed English bar of Chelsea fans. Was absolutely poisoned and in bits at the end and they all just embraced me and we had a rip roaring session.

Gas how different ages and generations views our stuff differently. Like for me, Arsenal was always the big rival. As I got older I understood the Liverpool rivalry. But they'd been mostly ****e for my coherent football life. Arsenal was the big rivalry I deemed important haha

And because of that nostalgia, I seem to always be more invested and emotional when we play Arsenal :D

I dont want to be the pedantic one because I enjoyed your post but :):)

It was Moscow :)

Is it wrong to be routing for all the teams above us in the cup games just so they have more games to play?

Im just wishing for draws all the way

jayo26 wrote: »
    Im just wishing for draws all the way

Did Giroud score the second you posted that?!

Korat wrote: »
    The position of currently holding a trophy?

A trophy that wasn't worth winning when Arsenal won it? Oh how the tune has changed

• Advertisement

Did Giroud score the second you posted that?!

:(

beno619 wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more, he's already gotten noticeably bigger since his debut.

To call a spade a spade he's black so genetically will bulk up easily. I'd look at Welbeck transformation in the space of 3 years.

Because Danny Welbeck is a marvellous example of a player who displayed potential as a teenager and went on to develop physically and become a mainstay in the United frontline.

If Rashford goes on to emulate Welbeck I'll be fairly disappointed to be honest.

:(

Bold jayo.

Draw is best, a win will do. Are Arsenal on tv a lot lately? Feel like Ive seen more games with them than every other team combined.

Giroud would sicken you, he's doing more bailing out than the Irish taxpayer this season and it's twice as bad because one of them was against us in a game we were all over like a rash.

How you could possibly be Butt hurt by something as innocuous as that us beyond me. Are you going to win the league? No. So how is me saying top 4 and an FA cup would be a good return for you from here possibly be offensive.

Some people really do trigger far to easily.

• Advertisement

Ahh lads ye are having an argument about bulking up for crikey sake. When I said it I ment build up his strenght a bit if you want to go by an example then look at ronaldo the difference to him now then when he made his debut for us against Bolton.... Rashford won't bulk up that much but he can gain muscle and strength without slowing down.

Messi is a different player he don't rely on outright pace he is a out and out dribbler mostly but rashford will be a bit bigger in a few years.

A trophy that wasn't worth winning when Arsenal won it? Oh how the tune has changed

You really do just make up the insults that you want to hear when none are being said. Wise up sir.

Bold jayo.

Draw is best, a win will do. Are Arsenal on tv a lot lately? Feel like Ive seen more games with them than every other team combined.

I donno but iwobi looks like Danny Wellbecks love child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

It meant so much to us we sacked the manager for winning it. ;)

You don't win 20 titles if you can be content with second rate prizes.

You really do just make up the insults that you want to hear when none are being said. Wise up sir.

Get back in that pond jayop:)

Put it like this, if United won the cup and got into top 4 I'd be happy enough given where we are.

Put it like this, if United won the cup and got into top 4 I'd be happy enough given where we are.

Finally a bit of honesty from a Utd fan, not the usual dross I've been listening to

You ok Felix? Ya seem to be looking for attention due to ya need a hug?

Jayop was making a decent assessment he made no remarks or anything negatively about arsenal it was a simple comment the same as it wouldn't be a bad season for us this year to win the cup and finish in top four? How is that a remark to make you go swinging handbags?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Because Danny Welbeck is a marvellous example of a player who displayed potential as a teenager and went on to develop physically and become a mainstay in the United frontline.

If Rashford goes on to emulate Welbeck I'll be fairly disappointed to be honest.

Well that's a lovely strawman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

yabadabado wrote: »
    Stoke no way deserve to be in that list of teams.picking the 2 best championship teams against the worst EPL teams doesn't show the full picture.There is a big gap between Championship and EPL in a one off game and EPL resting players you get an odd upset but not many.

Few upsets today. Stoke fielded a strong team but I think they were unlucky.

• Advertisement

You ok Felix? Ya seem to be looking for attention due to ya need a hug?

Jayop was making a decent assessment he made no remarks or anything negatively about arsenal it was a simple comment the same as it wouldn't be a bad season for us this year to win the cup and finish in top four? How is that a remark to make you go swinging handbags?

He wasn't making the comment about Utd he was saying what Arsenal should be happy with, which is fairly condescending.

He wasn't making the comment about Utd he was saying what Arsenal should be happy with, which is fairly condescending.

It is if you take it that way... If he said it at start of the season it would be condescending but he is saying it halfway threw and looking at arsenal throwing away points of late and Chelsea looking so strong its fairly obvious ye are not going to win the league..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Nalz wrote: »
    Few upsets today. Stoke fielded a strong team but I think they were unlucky.

Knew well that post would come back to bite me :D

You know there is the Arsenal thread if you are finding it diffulicult here.
    Looking for something to complain about ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I think the Juve match sticks out hugely for me. The despair when they went 2-0 up. I managed to send a mug across the room. Then the elation when Cole makes it 3.

The Arsenal match was similar in a way. Keano getting sent off was a big blow...then they get a penalty. At that point it was over. Then Schmikes saves and Giggsy does the rest.

Actually...now I think of it, in all three matches, there was that horrible feeling we were done...only to win.

Unbelievable Jeff. Have enjoyed reliving that in my head tbh

yabadabado wrote: »
    You know there is the Arsenal thread if you are finding it diffulicult here.
    Looking for something to complain about ffs.

Thanks chicken

Thanks chicken

Taking umbrage at what I said does make you look like a bit of a snowflake. Giving. A genuine assessment of where you are now and what at this stage would in my opinion represent a decent end of the season for you shouldn't be automatically seen as a jibe. I'm sure almost all United fans would take top four and the cup if offered right now.

Thanks chicken

No problem duck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Hate what passes for news these days, not the clarification but the original "snub" story.

http://www.the42.ie/reading-player-clarifies-rooney-jersey-incident-3175435-Jan2017/?utm_source=twitter_self

• Advertisement

I know the opposition haven't been great on this run but apparently 2009 was the last time Utd won 8 games on the trot. Way back into Fergie's time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement