Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thank God Arsenal fans have actually not won a CL and been pretty ordinary by their standards recently because they still need come down from the high horse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I think the Juve match sticks out hugely for me. The despair when they went 2-0 up. I managed to send a mug across the room. Then the elation when Cole makes it 3.

The Arsenal match was similar in a way. Keano getting sent off was a big blow...then they get a penalty. At that point it was over. Then Schmikes saves and Giggsy does the rest.

Actually...now I think of it, in all three matches, there was that horrible feeling we were done...only to win.

Unbelievable Jeff. Have enjoyed reliving that in my head tbh

The fourth round of the FA cup v Liverpool a goal down for so long and win it at the end, Keane injured inside 10 minutes of FA cup final before Sheringham comes on and scores almost immediately. That FA cup was mad all on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Thank God Arsenal fans have actually not won a CL and been pretty ordinary by their standards recently because they still need come down from the high horse.

As bad as the last three years of self inflicted disaster have been, the fact neither Arsenal or Liverpool have won a major trophy in over ten years has spared us a lot of gloating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Korat wrote: »
    As bad as the last three years of self inflicted disaster have been, the fact neither Arsenal or Liverpool have won a major trophy in over ten years has spared us a lot of gloating.

Do you not count the fa cup as a major trophy? I love the fa cup love the fact that we had one of our most depressing years last year and still managed to win the oldest and best domestic cup competition in football the passion of the pardew dance and the laughing at him afterwards loved it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

This must be the least fan-demanding transfer window in years. Mad what a decent run can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

jayo26 wrote: »
    Do you not count the fa cup as a major trophy? I love the fa cup love the fact that we had one of our most depressing years last year and still managed to win the oldest and best domestic cup competition in football the passion of the pardew dance and the laughing at him afterwards loved it all.

Part of me loves it. It was such a big deal when I was younger. But it isn't now. Teams at the bottom of the league put out reserves because it's not as important as premier league survival.

I wonder if Wigan fans would rather be in the PL than have won the cup. Genuinely...I'd love to know their point of view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I never get my head around why teams dismiss the FA Cup. It still remains a big trophy (1 of only 3 available for most teams at the start of each year, 4 if you are in Europe) and if teams like Everton, Stoke, sh1t even Utd last few years, are serious then the league is a non runner.

It is also much easier to win the FA Cup (in terms of number of matches) than the league. So why are many teams so quick to drop out of it.

Fair point alf and I suppose it has been swallowed up by the premierleague cash.

I always wondered if they gave one of the champions league spots to the cup would it make it better Im sure it be lookwd at different then but the premierleague will never let that happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

I wonder if Wigan fans would rather be in the PL than have won the cup. Genuinely...I'd love to know their point of view

The ones I've heard interviewed wouldn't change it for the world.
    Winning the FA cup is going to stay with you for ever, coming 10th in the Prem won't

Fair point alf and I suppose it has been swallowed up by the premierleague cash.

I always wondered if they gave one of the champions league spots to the cup would it make it better Im sure it be lookwd at different then but the premierleague will never let that happen.

That is something I'd love to see. Give it back the credibility it deserves. It was always a big deal and it seems bananas when it's denigrated. Maybe a CL place is the solution it needs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Absolute nonsense for any football fan to say they'd rather mid table mediocrity than winning the second biggest competition they ever entered. I love the cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

That is something I'd love to see. Give it back the credibility it deserves. It was always a big deal and it seems bananas when it's denigrated. Maybe a CL place is the solution it needs

The big teams rest players because they gamble they can get away with it. Apart from the wigan anomaly they generally do.

The last few winners are...

United
    Arsenal
    Arsenal
    Wigan
    Chelsea
    City
    Chelsea
    Chelsea

Basically the best teams tend to win the Cup so they take it seriously enough.

Yeah, I'd love to see Luton in the CL :pac:

Jayop wrote: »
    The big teams rest players because they gamble they can get away with it. Apart from the wigan anomaly they generally do.

The last few winners are...

United
    Arsenal
    Arsenal
    Wigan
    Chelsea
    City
    Chelsea
    Chelsea

Basically the best teams tend to win the Cup so they take it seriously enough.

Do all the best teams though?

Just curious. I haven't looked into it but there are generally a few teams that didn't in any one season.

I know the opposition haven't been great on this run but apparently 2009 was the last time Utd won 8 games on the trot. Way back into Fergie's time.

People forget we beat an in-form Spurs.
    And that's when we weren't even finishing teams off like we are now.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    People forget we beat an in-form Spurs.
    And that's when we weren't even finishing teams off like we are now.

Who beat City and Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You think they would swap that once in a lifetime moment so they could scratch about in the bottom half of the Premier league?

I know what my answer would be were I a Wigan fan.

You think they would swap that once in a lifetime moment so they could scratch about in the bottom half of the Premier league?

I think Portsmouth might tho they have had it hard since they won it but as you say at the end of the day they will always be cup winners where as who will remember Sunderland in 20 years time for scraping safety for past number of years.

I know what is rather but that's me saying it without knowing what it's like to be in Wigan's position of having to struggle in lower leagues.

It's fine saying it as a.United fan that doesn't know that reality.

I'm just wondering out loud. Maybe they never would trade it. Maybe they won a cup that doesn't have the same value for everyone. Maybe it changes - this season they're on contention for promoton so they'd day winning the Cup every time.

Just wondering out loud.

I know what is rather but that's me saying it without knowing what it's like to be in Wigan's position of having to struggle in lower leagues.

It's fine saying it as a.United fan that doesn't know that reality.

I'm just wondering out loud. Maybe they never would trade it. Maybe they won a cup that doesn't have the same value for everyone. Maybe it changes - this season they're on contention for promoton so they'd day winning the Cup every time.

Just wondering out loud.

Id imagine it's different been a fan of a local lower league team they have expectations and no matter what an fa cup win would exceed them expectations surely?

I don't mean to be anyway disrespectful to Wigan and the likes but they were not really a traditional premierleague club up until 15 year ago I think it was they first appeared and at that they came from lower leagues similar to Swansea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Hey it's still a great trophy and has a lot more prestige than any other domestic cup in world football but it's no comparison to the league or CL as an achievement. With a lucky draw you might never even play a PL team in the 6 games it takes to win it. Chelsea winning 13 games in a row against PL opposition fielding their best teams and likewise our own current run are more impressive in terms of difficulty than winning the FA Cup these days.

It definitely lifted the gloom last year though. :)

Id imagine it's different been a fan of a local lower league team they have expectations and no matter what an fa cup win would exceed them expectations surely?

I don't mean to be anyway disrespectful to Wigan and the likes but they were not really a traditional premierleague club up until 15 year ago I think it was they first appeared and at that they came from lower leagues similar to Swansea.

Yeah fair point. Context is everything.

They'd rather be in the PL but after spending most of their days out of it, the Cup won was probably different massive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The word from Portugal is that that Lindelof is back to Lindelon. The Mirror have picked up on the story.

https://twitter.com/MirrorFootball/status/817862519427624960

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

zerks wrote: »
    The word from Portugal is that that Lindelof is back to Lindelon. The Mirror have picked up on the story.

Good stuff.

We need reinforcements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

zerks wrote: »

On the back off rojo injury?

Any update on that situation? Is it long term..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Part of me loves it. It was such a big deal when I was younger. But it isn't now. Teams at the bottom of the league put out reserves because it's not as important as premier league survival.

To be honest looking through a lot of line ups like Burnley Sunderland, Everton Leicester, Hull Swansea, put out full teams by in large. Even Arsenal and Stoke put out full teams (for the most part) against lower league sides
    user2011 wrote: »
    On the back off rojo injury?

Any update on that situation? Is it long term..

I'd say the Lindelof deal was never off, just posturing. From what I seen earlier it appears Rojo is a minor muscle injury so hopefully only a week or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I think Portsmouth might tho they have had it hard since they won it but as you say at the end of the day they will always be cup winners where as who will remember Sunderland in 20 years time for scraping safety for past number of years.

Hope you haven't forgotten Sunderland's 6 league titles and 2 FA Cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Thanks chicken

It's on page 4 if you can't see it immediately.

Although wouldn't blame you if your sick of the thread. Believe it's the same mod for the last twenty odd years and it's become a bit of a parody of itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I wonder if Everton's exit yesterday might prompt them to beef up their offer for Morgan a bit to get the transfer done.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/writtenoff_mufc/status/818002179000770561

Duncan Castles has a piece on Lindelof and Bakayoko.He says we are keen to sign both this transfer window.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Soon be easier to just buy a French national team jersey than a United one :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The rumours are that if United sign Griezmann in the summer as expected, Atletico will look to replace him with Alexis Sanchez.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Rooney rightfully not happy. Ridiculous the measures media goes to to pull this man down even on a very special day for him

https://twitter.com/waynerooney/status/818032181431963648

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

He's dead right. Rooney should, at this stage of his career, start slaughtering the media. He doesn't get any favours from them so he should call them on all their bullshít.

GSPfan wrote: »
    He's dead right. Rooney should, at this stage of his career, start slaughtering the media. He doesn't get any favours from them so he should call them on all their bullshít.

The reality is you won't get anywhere "slaughtering" the media. Thats a battle you can't win. In fact, giving them attention only will focus their attention cause once they know they'll get a reaction (which gives advertising to the original story AND gives them more stories to write), they'll only get worse :/

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The reality is you won't get anywhere "slaughtering" the media. Thats a battle you can't win. In fact, giving them attention only will focus their attention cause once they know they'll get a reaction (which gives advertising to the original story AND gives them more stories to write), they'll only get worse :/

How can it get worse for him? Thats my point. It cannot get worse. They are desperately trying to write stuff about him as it is. His tweet has brought my attention to the story and highlighted how pathetic the written media are whereas I wouldn't have known about that story if he didn't tweet it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Duncan Castles when asked who the f**k would choose United over Chelsea and City:

https://twitter.com/duncancastles/status/818072933847465984

Joking aside, I wonder if our French contingent help with such a deal. Martial and Pogba being the same age as him would surely be benefical to our hopes to nab him. Just...uh...don't let him talk to Morgan :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I dont follow host of players from around world but im huge fan of Bakayoko. He would be pure engine player.

If he does come though it would have be end of Fellaini(i know whats coming).

GSPfan wrote: »
    How can it get worse for him? Thats my point. It cannot get worse. They are desperately trying to write stuff about him as it is. His tweet has brought my attention to the story and highlighted how pathetic the written media are whereas I wouldn't have known about that story if he didn't tweet it.

He used them before to help himself,tables have turned. What they made a story of yesterday was stupid though.They swapped shirts later,seeing as Reading just got thumped,some of their players didn't want to be seen getting souvenirs on the field.It was actually unusual for Rooney to offer on the pitch as he usually does it in the tunnel.

• Advertisement

Ive no idea how good Bakayoko is outside of YouTube clips but I like that we are in for a midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Bakayoko is a great name and he should be signed based on that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I hope he's as good as Ibrahima Bakayoko was in Championship Manager, then he's awesome.

I hope he's as good as Ibrahima Bakayoko was in Championship Manager, then he's awesome.

Walter Smith definitely played championship manager that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Bakayoko is a great name and he should be signed based on that alone.

Could be a hard man to make a chant for

I saw my mate the other day.
    He said he saw the new pele.

He goes by the name of Bakayyyyaaakkookkooooo

What's the problem :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Baka, Baka Baka, Baka Baka, Baka Baka, Baka; Yoko, Yoko Yoko, Yoko Yoko, Yoko Yoko, Yoko!

Toure who? :pac:

Everyone must be afraid to mention the....... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

That second string is brutal bad,he really is getting the most of a limited squad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement