Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

If he does come though it would have be end of Fellaini(i know whats coming).

Mourinho's continued use of Fellaini ahead of the likes of Morgan & Bastian would be evidence enough he's going nowhere soon and is a valuable member of his squad.

I'd imagine he's a long term replacement for Carrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

yabadabado wrote: »
    That second string is brutal bad,he really is getting the most of a limited squad.

Ssshhhh. They're brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

It'll be interesting to see what kind of team we put out against Hull.

I'd prefer to see an even weaker team than the one we put out against Reading.

Korat wrote: »

Why? The lads need chances and game time. Maybe rest one of the cbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

beno619 wrote: »
    Mourinho's continued use of Fellaini ahead of the likes of Morgan & Bastian would be evidence enough he's going nowhere soon and is a valuable member of his squad.

I'd imagine he's a long term replacement for Carrick.

Can forget about Basti and Morgan is out the door any day now.

If Bakoyoko was signed it would still only leave United with 5 cm's-Carrick,Herrera,Pogba and Fellaini.
    I wouldn't be in any major hurry to sell Fellaini,he is getting games and may be happy to be a squad player(all he should be).
    Be good to get a CM in this month add some depth to the squad extremely light in CM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Jayop wrote: »

Yeh I agree we still need to play a decent squad and most of our strong 11 were rested the weekend I'd go with a smalling and tuanzebe defence and experience around him also the likes of Shaw didn't play the weekend and Jesse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Rest anyone not starting against Liverpool is basically what I meant.

Dumb luck losing Rojo already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Didn't Jose already confirm that the bigger names will be playing.. id rather have the tie over with after the first leg and rest players then in the second leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

He said yesterday it was pretty much all the regulars who didn't play yesterday

ibra/ander/pogba/valencia etc

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd pretty much agree with that.

dont_mention_the_war.gif you can talk about it now lads

#entertainers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

If Liverpool start that team at Old Trafford they're gonna get crushed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'd be quite happy to see a similar team line out against Hull in the first leg that lined out against Reading.

No sense risking players ahead of next Sunday.

That's a good result
    Let them play more games

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    That's a good result
    Let them play more games

Yep it's not even anything to do with fatigue it's simply a matter of less time to prepare before games keep them coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why? Its a cup semi final and the next game is five days later, we could and should be playing our strongest team.

If the notion is to avoid any injuries due to the upcoming Liverpool game then I would say that people are placing far too much importance on the Liverpool game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

That Pool result is exactly what we want. Far better than a Plymouth win. More games for them to deal with now. They can be so toothless without Coutinho to help unlock opposition defences. Let's hope he's still out injured when they play us at OT.

Why? Its a cup semi final and the next game is five days later, we could and should be playing our strongest team.

If the notion is to avoid any injuries due to the upcoming Liverpool game then I would say that people are placing far too much importance on the Liverpool game.

Pure second string isn't like the Liverpool second string. We should have more than enough for a very poor Hull side with a similar team to what we played yesterday. It's two legged anyway so barring getting hammered which won't happen it's not the end of the world.

The Liverpool game is the most important game since the cup final last season. Easily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    That's a good result
    Let them play more games

Klopp will just play the same team so shouldn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Extra game of planning of course isn't ideal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The Liverpool game is the most important game since the cup final last season. Easily.

Well apart from the City game, and the Spurs game and the 1st time we played Liverpool this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A draw for Liverpool was very good for us. I think we would have crushed Plymouth.
    We have the strongest squad in the league, and we need it, and even at that we need reinforcements this month to fight on all fronts.

It would be nice if we could score enough against Hull on Tuesday to make the next leg a formality.
    We have to be confident, it is many years since we have been playing so well. If we keep playing that way, the form will stay good.
    I hope we get any signings we are suppose to be after this month, completed quickly.

RobertKK wrote: »
    A draw for Liverpool was very good for us. I think we would have crushed Plymouth.
    We have the strongest squad in the league, and we need it, and even at that we need reinforcements this month to fight on all fronts.

It would be nice if we could score enough against Hull on Tuesday to make the next leg a formality.
    We have to be confident, it is many years since we have been playing so well. If we keep playing that way, the form will stay good.
    I hope we get any signings we are suppose to be after this month, completed quickly.

No

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Well apart from the City game, and the Spurs game and the 1st time we played Liverpool this year.

Well they did not define the season, the Spurs game was huge.
    But the Liverpool game is either a nail in the coffin for our title hopes, or maybe the signs that something really special is happened at United this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

and are in 6th position in the league..? United have an AWESOME first 11 but their backups are as meh as most of the others. Liverpool prob have the worst second 11 right now but part of that is how Klopp runs his teams. He doesn't want to buy loads of players to sit not playing games. Might hurt them next year for sure tho.

Pure second string isn't like the Liverpool second string. We should have more than enough for a very poor Hull side with a similar team to what we played yesterday. It's two legged anyway so barring getting hammered which won't happen it's not the end of the world.

Even if Hull are poor I would say its far better to get a good result in the first leg and basically finish the tie than to go into the 2nd leg needing a result.

I don't agree, but even if it was it doesn't deserve to dominate thinking in this fashion, it isn't a CL final. We of course want to win on Sunday and its important to prepare properly for the game, but its overthinking things to start resting senior players for cup semi-finals in the lead-up.

I certainly hope the players aren't of this mindset, not least because worrying about injuries and protecting players gives that Liverpool team more respect than it deserves.

Its an important game, but its also just another game against a team we have the beating of and we shouldn't be so worried about it.

No

That is not a compelling argument for why it is not.

I see us strengthening weak areas this month.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    and are in 6th position in the league..? United have an AWESOME first 11 but their backups are as meh as most of the others. Liverpool prob have the worst second 11 right now but part of that is how Klopp runs his teams. He doesn't want to buy loads of players to sit not playing games. Might hurt them next year for sure tho.

Jose has been rotating his players. Who is sitting on the bench regularly that we have purchased? Only notable ones are already lined up to be sold.

Those games weren't as big as this.

• Advertisement

Pyjamarama wrote: »

Liverpool have 7 or 8 good players and then it falls of a cliff.That second string today was brutal.
    Fair play to Kloop he has them going well but the small squad will be a problem if a few injuries come and the usual wear and tear over the season.

A manager at any top club needs to have a good squad and be able to rotate/rest as needed ,if Pool want to compete at the top level Klopp will need to chance tact.

While I wouldnt say we have strongest squad in league I don't think there is much difference in strenght of our squad and Chelsea and city's in terms of strenght in depth i definitely think we have better 24 players them arsenal and pool.

That was shown today when pool tried to play a second string it was full of kids when we rested players we still had nine players of our cup winning team last year.

Arsenal and spurs are same they have a quality top 11 on paper but the backup aint great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Would Monaco really sell Bakayoko in this window??
    They are in with a good shot at the French title and still in the Champions League.

That is not a compelling argument for why it is not.

I see us strengthening weak areas this month.

You already said we have the strongest squad in the league to you think we need much strengthening ?

Why do you think that ?

United squad is behind Chelsea and City for squad depth imo.

I reckon United are about 5 players away from having the best squad in the league.

You seem to have a very high opinion of anything United so is there much point debating it.

Well they were tho they were still worth 3 points or six point swings. It's too early in season to be saying most important game but it would be a big advantage to pull them back to 2 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

They were, it just that we like to add special meaning to this game for historical reasons.

But its three points. It won't define the season. Will losing here be more costly than the series of draws against the lower teams? No, we dropped 6 points, 6 points that we should have been depending on.

These types of games can always go either way, its how you go on from it that is the important thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I can easily see why people would feel this. It's a massive six pointer. But I can also see...I think because of who it is, there's a bigger thirst to win and win big.

Unlike last time, we're the team in form and we're not going to their fortress. I'd happily consider us the favorites and I don't see why we shouldn't be going all out against them. Last time, I was 100% happy with parking the bus, but with how we're playing and how they're playing, I'd be way more confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Would Monaco really sell Bakayoko in this window??
    They are in with a good shot at the French title and still in the Champions League.

Pretty sure Monaco don't have endless sources of money anymore since the owners divorce.. and I think they are running a loss most years. I'd say if they were offered a good price they will cash in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

In Fifa 17, yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

You already said we have the strongest squad in the league to you think we need much strengthening ?

Why do you think that ?

I reckon United are about 5 players away from having the best squad in the league.

You seem to have a very high opinion of anything United so is there much point debating it.

Chelsea and City definitely don't have more squad depth. Not even close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The cup is apparently low on Klopps priorities.

Makes sense tbh, his teams have a tendency to bottle the finals anyway so its extra games with no returns.

#genius

No, I don't agree. Utd are now settled under the new coach, are pushing seriousl for top 4, and haven't lost for about 15 games. This is a true test of where Utd are now.

Why do you think that ?

City maybe but not Chelsea, they have a better first 11 but like so many teams once you go past 14/15 players the quality really drops off. As I have said before, if Chelsea lose Costa for any reason they won't have anybody else even close to his level to come in and do that job.

I think you could easily make the argument that United have the strongest squad in the league, as long as you accept that they don't have the strongest first 11.

We don't have the best starting eleven in the league, but I'd say we're pretty close to having the best 12 to 22.

Why do you think that ?

Yes I do unashamedly have a very high opinion of United at the moment.

A squad always needs new blood, give more competition, give enough players of the right quality to account for number of games and for injuries.
    A good manager in any sport will bring in new talent to the squad, and plan it, not like what Moyes did.
    For me, Jose has found what works, signings like Pogba and Mkhitaryan have settled in. Carrick being very important and a need to bring in a player to give him back up, lets say Bakayoko, it would be nice if we could rest Carrick and have him for PL games with TFM on the bench.
    Sign Lindelof as well and with Bailly returning from the ACON, I think our squad is the best.
    We are the only team in the league who are still fighting in all 4 competitions we entered, the depth must be there and I think by the end of this month, we will most definitely have the strongest squad, even if some want to argue the current squad isn't the best in the top 6.
    I think we have the best options, yes one can argue over the defensive midfielder position and our defense with Bailly away and Rojo injured, but they will be back soon and maybe with an addition.

• Advertisement

Nice to see Sam Johnstone playing for Villa against PL opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

We don't have the best starting eleven in the league, but I'd say we're pretty close to having the best 12 to 22.

i would argue that, our best 11 is as good as anyones.

we have the best keeper in the world, imo the best midfielder in the world and one of the best strikers in the world.

who is better than luke shaw in the league when he is fit?

who is better than michael carrick in the same position??

right midfield Mkhitarayan?

Best no 10 Mata in the league

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I don't really see where Chelsea and City's squads are stronger than ours. I reckon our first 11 is as good as any in the league as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

If you look around, I'd say only Aguero and Hazard would potentially get into our first 11. Definitely have close to if not the best first 11 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    If you look around, I'd say only Aguero and Hazard would potentially get into our first 11. Definitely have close to if not the best first 11 too.

Nonsense. Why aren't you walking the league so?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement