Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Johner wrote: »
    Nonsense. Why aren't you walking the league so?

why are barca not walking the league so??? probably best 1-11 in spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Its not always the best players who win the league it's the best team. Case in point was how badly Chelsea played after walking the league last year. And that was a year where the league was particularly weak.

The key is balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

So where is it going wrong then? You have the best 11 and best squad in the league?

Azpilicueta, Luiz, Kante, Matic, Fabregas, Willian, Hazard and Costa would all have a chance of starting in your first 11. It's not as good as you think and the league table would suggest this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    If you look around, I'd say only Aguero and Hazard would potentially get into our first 11. Definitely have close to if not the best first 11 too.

So Sanchez wouldn't get into your team? None of Spurs centerhalves? Valencia is the best right back in the league? KDB wouldn't get in no? Kante? Costa? I could continue for a while. Mental post. Super deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

bangkok wrote: »
    i would argue that, our best 11 is as good as anyones.

we have the best keeper in the world, imo the best midfielder in the world and one of the best strikers in the world.

who is better than luke shaw in the league when he is fit?

who is better than michael carrick in the same position??

right midfield Mkhitarayan?

Best no 10 Mata in the league

Wow that's optimistic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

We are 6th! Sixth!

People going around telling each other we have the best squad, only X and Y would get into our squad. Get a fúcking reality check like.

So where is it going wrong then? You have the best 11 and best squad in the league?

Azpilicueta, Luiz, Kante, Matic, Fabregas, Willian, Hazard and Costa would all have a chance of starting in your first 11. It's not as good as you think and the league table would suggest this.

2 home draws v burnley and stoke when we hammered them, last min penalty conceded to everton and a late goal conceded to arsenal when we hammered them for 90 mins. them 8 points would have us 2nd in the league and probably favourites for the league title

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Not sure about Fabregas or Willian there but you are right. Similarly, Ibrahimovic, Mkhitaryan, Martial, Pogba, Rashford, Carrick, Herrera, de Gea, Mata, Bailly, Jones, Rojo would all have a good chance at starting at Chelsea/Spurs/Pool/Arsenal/City. In fact many of those players walk straight into those team's first 11s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    If you look around, I'd say only Aguero and Hazard would potentially get into our first 11. Definitely have close to if not the best first 11 too.

Where to start...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

2 home draws v burnley and stoke when we hammered them, last min penalty conceded to everton and a late goal conceded to arsenal when we hammered them for 90 mins. them 8 points would have us 2nd in the league and probably favourites for the league title

Have none of the top 5 dropped any silly points?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

The idea that UTD would have more than 4-5 players in a premier league 11 is delusional tbh, a required consequence of this is that at least 6-7 players at other clubs would make our team ahead of what we have.

For me

De Gea

None of our defenders

Pogba would make the midfield

Zlatan would be fighting with Kane, Aguero and Costa for 2 spots so it's hard to know.

That's 2 certainties and there's 3-4 arguables. There's far more than Aguero and Hazard out there that would piss into our team.

Nalz wrote: »
    Wow that's optimistic!

is it?

start with de gea... who is better?

Valencia having a brilliant season, walker clyne sagna bellerin all just as good if not better

david luiz and van dijk best centre halves in league right now, bailly up there with them

left back, luke shaw best lb in league when fit, danny rose next best

thats all the back line

Not sure about Fabregas or Willian there but you are right. Similarly, Ibrahimovic, Mkhitaryan, Martial, Pogba, Rashford, Carrick, Herrera, de Gea, Mata, Bailly, Jones, Rojo would all have a good chance at starting at Chelsea/Spurs/Pool/Arsenal/City. In fact many of those players walk straight into those team's first 11s.

Thats just hilarious.

Rojo and Jones were derided in here for years and now they are walking into the teams above us in the table! Mata can't even walk into our team and Martial has done nothing except show potential, Bailly has a mere 12 games in this country and for all Zlatan has done well damn sure City, Liverpool, Chelsea or Spurs don't need him.

There is a real "prettiest wife at home" syndrome around here.

Thats just hilarious.

Rojo and Jones were derided in here for years and now they are walking into the teams above us in the table! Mata can't even walk into our team and Martial has done nothing except show potential, Bailly has a mere 12 games in this country and for all Zlatan has done well damn sure City, Liverpool, Chelsea or Spurs don't need him.

lol seriously!!!!!! they would have him in a heartbeat

lol seriously!!!!!! they would have him in a heartbeat

If you think Spurs would swap Kane and Chelsea would swap Costa for Zlatan then you are delusional.

Aguero is also better than Zlatan, and although Pep seems to drop Aguero for some reason damn sure he would not pick Zlatan instead, as history has shown us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

There are alot of players in the top five that would get into our squad easily same as we have a few players that would get Into others but we are not the best we just have a really good squad collectively that's up there with the best.

We have id say the best keeper and on current form we have the best striker but Aguero or Costa have many more years left we have just as good a midfield as as any other team apart from maybe Chelsea I'd have Kante or matic instead of Carrick.

Our fullbacks are not even been close to been the Best in league I'd have azpeluqueta instead of valencia easily even tho he has been playing CB Lately and I'd have rose from spurs at left back.

I think our own two cb partnership our best two would be as good as two from city or two from Chelsea but I like spurs two center backs.

Then our wide players would be demolished by the likes of hazard or William or Sanchez apart from maybe Mkhitaryan when he is on top form.

Saying we have the best 11 is wrong tho we don't but No team has the best 11 it's impossible you don't win a league with just 11 players.

If you think Spurs would swap Kane and Chelsea would swap Costa for Zlatan then you are delusional.

Aguero is also better than Zlatan, and although Pep seems to drop Aguero for some reason damn sure he would not pick Zlatan instead, as history has shown us.

but he is a class player and teams make space for players that are class.

by your logic would spurs, city or liverpool also not take suarez or ronaldo if they were available??

jayo26 wrote: »
    There are alot of players in the top five that would get into our squad easily same as we have a few players that would get Into others but we are not the best we just have a really good squad collectively that's up there with the best.

We have id say the best keeper and on current form we have the best striker but Aguero or Costa have many more years left we have just as good a midfield as as any other team apart from maybe Chelsea I'd have Kante or matic instead of Carrick.

Our fullbacks are not even been close to been the Best in league I'd have azpeluqueta instead of valencia easily even tho he has been playing CB Lately and I'd have rose from spurs at left back.

I think our own two cb partnership our best two would be as good as two from city or two from Chelsea but I like spurs two center backs.

Then our wide players would be demolished by the likes of hazard or William or Sanchez apart from maybe Mkhitaryan when he is on top form.

Saying we have the best 11 is wrong tho we don't but No team has the best 11 it's impossible you don't win a league with just 11 players.

correct it is, but we have one of the strongest 11's in the league and are a match for any team now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Serious rise of delusional fanfare going on.

Only two players would get into our team. Actually having a laugh.

Pogba and De Gea is about the only players in our strongest 11 that keeps their spot. Coin toss for Zlatan with Aguero and Kane and not much better right sided players than Mhyiki.

So that's two, four at a push.

• Advertisement

correct it is, but we have one of the strongest 11's in the league and are a match for any team now

Yeh but that's different then saying we have the best.. You can say that about any of the top six none of each team should be afraid of playing each other if you take out any variables of form and injuries.

When we were going threw our run we were all complaining about the team that we weren't clinical enough and out defence was weak and what not so have they suddenly got good and become the best ayers on the league? No they have just gelled and playing the way the manager wants them to and have a brilliant team spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Think it's moved onto squad which is a totally different story..

but he is a class player and teams make space for players that are class.

by your logic would spurs, city or liverpool also not take suarez or ronaldo if they were available??

I don't think I'll bother explaining my logic if you aren't going to use any at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

There are very few players in the PL of undisputed quality. There are lots of pretty good players who have bursts of form and can then fall off a cliff. With the fixtures Chelsea have coming up everyone could be calling them a bunch of useless clods this time next month.

Opinions will change week by week. The end of the season is the only time you can fairly judge the best players.

Nani used have a habit of being POTY contender before X-mas and transfer list material for the rest of it.

Thats just hilarious.

Did I say Jones and Rojo would walk into those teams? No. I said they'd have a good chance at starting in those sides. They haven't done much wrong for us over the last few weeks and we're the most in form team in the league along with Spurs. City and Liverpool have dodgy enough defences, so Jones and Rojo would definitely have a good chance at starting for them.

Mata has been excellent whenever he has played lately. He isn't out of place in our starting lineup and wouldn't be out of place in the teams above us either.

Martial has shown far more than just potential, don't be stupid. He was our top scorer last season and is coming into form lately. If the likes of Walcott, Moses and Nolito are starting for teams above us then Martial can start for those teams too.

What relevance is the number of games Bailly has played? He's an excellent defender and would get starts at the sides above us. Bailly or John Stones, who would you rather have?

Maybe those teams don't need Ibrahimovic, but are we in need of Aguero, Kane, Costa right not? No. Would Ibrahimovic be out of place in the starting 11's of Spurs, Pool, Chelsea, City? Absolutely not.

Try reading my posts properly in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Very poor logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Did I say Jones and Rojo would walk into those teams? No. I said they'd have a good chance at starting in those sides. They haven't done much wrong for us over the last few weeks and we're the most in form team in the league along with Spurs. City and Liverpool have dodgy enough defences, so Jones and Rojo would definitely have a good chance at starting for them.

Mata has been excellent whenever he has played lately. He isn't out of place in our starting lineup and wouldn't be out of place in the teams above us either.

Martial has shown far more than just potential, don't be stupid. He was our top scorer last season and is coming into form lately. If the likes of Walcott, Moses and Nolito are starting for teams above us then Martial can start for those teams too.

What relevance is the number of games Bailly has played? He's an excellent defender and would get starts at the sides above us. Bailly or John Stones, who would you rather have?

Maybe those teams don't need Ibrahimovic, but are we in need of Aguero, Kane, Costa right not? No. Would Ibrahimovic be out of place in the starting 11's of Spurs, Pool, Chelsea, City? Absolutely not.

Ibra would stand out like a sore thumb in Liverpool starting 11. He just wouldn't work in the set up (if we played different I'd like him in the squad though).

De Gea and Mkytrian would be the only two I'd take out of the United team. Maybe Pogba as well but he's a different type of midfielder than we use.

Edit: I doubt many united supporters would see many Liverpool players making their team.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    So Sanchez wouldn't get into your team? None of Spurs centerhalves? Valencia is the best right back in the league? KDB wouldn't get in no? Kante? Costa? I could continue for a while. Mental post. Super deluded.

Sanchez yes.

I find the Spurs centre half's are a little overrated and have achieved the square route of feck all in football. Poch has that team very well organised.

KDM vs Mata/Mikhitaryan would be a toss up.

Kante probably edges Carrick.

Zlatan vs Costa is another toss up. Zlatan the more talented while Costa has a bit more pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Lads please don't let the recent upturn in fortunes delude you into saying silly things. We are doing well, we have a good squad, we are happy, but we are still 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I don't think Jones or Rojo would play at all at Chelsea, Arsenal's partnership of Kos and Mustafi was very strong before Mustafi's injury too. City and Liverpool prob would ya. Hard to know about Bailly just yet but looks quality.

Don't think Martial could replace Moses in the Chelsea side defensively. He'd be looking to take hazard or Pedro's position if anyone's and he isn't better than either at the minute.

Ibra is contributing hugely to Utd's season but I'd still take Costa over him. Would take him at Arsenal alright instead of Giroud, not ahead of Sanchez, Ibra is having a bigger impact than Kane IMO. Not ahead of Ageuro either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Ibra would stand out like a sore thumb in Liverpool starting 11. He just wouldn't work in the set up (if we played different I'd like him in the squad though).

De Gea and Mkytrian would be the only two I'd take out of the United team. Maybe Pogba as well but he's a different type of midfielder than we use.

Edit: I doubt many united supporters would see many Liverpool players making their team.

Couthino possibly. Other than that nah

• Advertisement

Id take firminho I like him as a player and enjoy watching him and possibly Clyne would be an improvement at right back for us same as I'd say Shaw would be an improvement at left back for. Ye if he was fit.

I also think if sturridge was the player of 2014 he would improve most premierleague sides.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Couthino possibly. Other than that nah

Id have firminho over Coutinho any day of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

Liverpool have a better left back than Shaw or even Blind?
    Bailly isn't better than any of Pools current centre backs?
    They would't take Rashford either as a back up striker?
    Even Herrera would be an upgrade on Henderson...

domrush wrote: »
    I don't think Jones or Rojo would play at all at Chelsea, Arsenal's partnership of Kos and Mustafi was very strong before Mustafi's injury too. City and Liverpool prob would ya. Hard to know about Bailly just yet but looks quality.

Don't think Martial could replace Moses in the Chelsea side defensively. He'd be looking to take hazard or Pedro's position if anyone's and he isn't better than either at the minute.

Ibra is contributing hugely to Utd's season but I'd still take Costa over him. Would take him at Arsenal alright instead of Giroud, not ahead of Sanchez, Ibra is having a bigger impact than Kane IMO. Not ahead of Ageuro either.

Matip and Lovern have done very well for us this year. Our problem has been with the keeper. We've consistently been allowing very little chances but are concedeing a high percentage of those chances.

I wouldn't take Jones or Rojo and I haven't seen to much of Bailey but he has looked pretty good when he does play.

you would work him into the setup though, in the same way Messi or ronaldo wouldnt work in your set up but they would be made fit into it

jayo26 wrote: »
    Id take firminho I like him as a player and enjoy watching him and possibly Clyne would be an improvement at right back for us same as I'd say she would be an improvement at left back for. Ye if he was fit.

I also think if sturridge was the player of 2014 he would improve most premierleague sides.

Personally I would have Valencia over Clyne.

domrush wrote: »

I'm not saying all these players would start at the sides above us, but a some of them would start at 1 or 2 clubs at least. I don't think that the players (except Jones and Rojo) that I named in my posts wouldn't weaken any of the sides above us if they were to start. Costa ahead of Ibrahimovic is fair enough, but is a Chelsea side with Ibrahimovic in his current form up top a notably weaker one than with Costa? I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Shaw would get into Pool team all day long and if ye cant find a place for Pogba then the mind ****ing boggles

Zlatan would walk into that side and Klopp would change his system.

jharr100 wrote: »
    Liverpool have a better left back than Shaw or even Blind?
    Bailly isn't better than any of Pools current centre backs?
    They would't take Rashford either as a back up striker?
    Even Herrera would be an upgrade on Henderson...

James Milner is having an outstanding season at left back, great this year but wont be there long term. No point taking Shaw because he spends more time injured but did look great with Saints before he signed for United (plagued with injuries since).

Sturridge is our back up striker ad Origi cover for him. Rashford does look a super prospect though.

Herrera isn't playing the same position as Henderson (think Carrick instead). Lalana is playing where Herrera is and Lalana is out performing Herrera this season.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying all these players would start at the sides above us, but a some of them would start at 1 or 2 clubs at least. I don't think that the players (except Jones and Rojo) that I named in my posts would weaken any of the sides above us if they were to start. Costa ahead of Ibrahimovic is fair enough, but is a Chelsea side with Ibrahimovic in his current form up top a notably weaker one than with Costa? I don't think so.

I think Augero is an upgrade on both of them

James Milner is having an outstanding season at left back, great this year but wont be there long term. No point taking Shaw because he spends more time injured but did look great with Saints before he signed for United (plagued with injuries since).

Sturridge is our back up striker ad Origi cover for him. Rashford does look a super prospect though.

Herrera isn't playing the same position as Henderson (think Carrick instead). Lalana is playing where Herrera is and Lalana is out performing Herrera this season.

Considering this is all hypothetical it makes no difference .Its like saying you wouldn't use Shaw on FIFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

De Gea, Bailly, Pogba and Mkhitaryan are the only United players I'd see making an overall Prem 11. They'd be in the mix but you'd have to debate their worth versus the other top talent in the league.

Too many to mention but off the top of my head- Courteois, Azpilicueta, Luiz, Kante, Hazard, Costa, De Bruyne, Silva, Aguero, Clyne, Henderson, Firmino, Coutinho, Mane, Erikson, Kane, Ali etc (excuse spelling in places)

Carrick ties everything together for United but wouldn't make that team either.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Considering this is all hypothetical it makes no difference .Its like saying you wouldn't use Shaw on FIFA.

Fair point. We are light at left back but based on this season Shaw wouldn't replace Milner. Sure could have used Shaw last season though when we had Moreno there :pac:

Oh to the other post who said Klopp would make room for Zlatan in the team, I really don't think he would.

Actually I'd say he's take Martial, he would fit in well in our front three but I don't think he'd start a head of Couthino, Firmino or Mane. Super option to have though to come on and change a game or replace one of the others when they are injured.

I would have had Bailly as the stand out Centre Half in the league before his injury. You can make lots of arguments for partnerships and well organised defences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Why Bailly? He's hardly been phenomenal and it's too early to say.

A fit Shaw is much better LB than Milner.Milner is having a decent season but would be shocked if Kloop doesnt sort out the area in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

United and Chelsea's defences have also benefited from having two keepers heads and shoulders above the rest of the leagues. In a whole different ballpark of quality.

De Gea, Bailly, Pogba and Mkhitaryan are the only United players I'd see making an overall Prem 11. They'd be in the mix but you'd have to debate their worth versus the other top talent in the league.

Having the best first 11 and having the most players in a Premier League best 11 aren't the same thing.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    A fit Shaw is much better LB than Milner.Milner is having a decent season but would be shocked if Kloop doesnt sort out the area in the summer.

Definitely think he will. We had high hopes for Moreno but turned out the chap likes sparkly things and gets distracted easily :confused:

Can see you guys been well set up up front for the next few years though with Martial and Rashford if they continue to improve like they've done over the last 18 months. Two very big talents that should have very good careers ahead of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement