Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

domrush wrote: »
    United and Chelsea's defences have also benefited from having two keepers heads and shoulders above the rest of the leagues. In a whole different ballpark of quality.

I haven't seen much of Chelsea this season but I must disagree regarding de Gea. Years gone by he's making match winning contributions in every single game, often getting man of the match. He hasn't been required to consistently do that much at all this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

United and Chelsea's defences have also benefited from having two keepers heads and shoulders above the rest of the leagues. In a whole different ballpark of quality.

Hugo Lloris is not a million miles behind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Nalz wrote: »
    Why Bailly? He's hardly been phenomenal and it's too early to say.

I thought he was phenomenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Having the best first 11 and having the most players in a Premier League best 11 aren't the same thing.

He's arguing with the notion Aguero and Hazard are the only players in the premier league that walk into our team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Having the best first 11 and having the most players in a Premier League best 11 aren't the same thing.

I thought this whole thing started by saying individually United's team is better than the rest of the league?

Clearly they're not the best 11, Chelsea just equalled the all time record for most consecutive wins. There's no arguing with that stat. They demolished ye about 2 months ago too.

United don't have the best 11 and they wouldn't have most players in a PL best 11.

Win a few games on the trot and suddenly ye're Barcelona.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I haven't seen much of Chelsea this season but I must disagree regarding de Gea. Years gone by he's making match winning contributions in every single game, often getting man of the match. He hasn't been required to consistently do that much at all this season.

He hasn't had as much work to do in most games alright but he's so switched on he makes that one save he needs to 95 times out of 100 and saves the team 2 or three points. That's when you really know you a top class keepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

More saying that Cech has been dire nevermind the **** show at Pool.

I thought this whole thing started by saying individually United's team is better than the rest of the league?

Clearly they're not the best 11, Chelsea just equalled the all time record for most consecutive wins. There's no arguing with that stat. They demolished ye about 2 months ago too.

United don't have the best 11 and they wouldn't have most players in a PL best 11.

Win a few games on the trot and suddenly ye're Barcelona.

Well in my opinion anyway, United's starting 11 is as good as anyone else in the league. Not better(though better than most), but as good as anyone else has to offer. I don't think anyone is claiming we'd dominate a PL best 11. I don't think any team would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I'm lost. United aren't close to the best first 11 and they wouldn't have most players in a Prem League best 11 so they'd not match up to either criteria.

If they were the best 11 they'd be first or close to it and as a consequence would have the most players in most best 11's as well.

United have a converted winger as RB, changing CB partnerships, one from three for LB, a fella in his mid-30s holding midfield together and some good talent in the final third who haven't been banging in record numbers of goals either.

Perspective after a good run of results is needed. Jose has improved United but they're still well off the top, in individual cases and collectively.

Next season, with the right buys could see United challenge for a title but I'd take top 4 right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Ibra would stand out like a sore thumb in Liverpool starting 11. He just wouldn't work in the set up (if we played different I'd like him in the squad though).

De Gea and Mkytrian would be the only two I'd take out of the United team. Maybe Pogba as well but he's a different type of midfielder than we use.

Edit: I doubt many united supporters would see many Liverpool players making their team.

what a crock of ****e...........the bitterness pours out of this post.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Slightly off topic here but just watched a video of that Bakayoko lad,he seems to be a beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Ya. There are so many variables. Formations could mean 2 r 3 different teams. Any one of Costa, ibra, Rashford, martial, frimno, Sanchez, Kane, Augero, could play up top
    Then you have Mikateryan, Mata, Silva, De Bruyne, Sterling, Ozil Sanchez, Walcott, Couthino, Mane, Erickson, Ali, Hazard, Pedro, Rashford, martial and Sanchez can all play on the wings or behind a front man. So many combinations from the above and I probably have left 1 or 2 out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Ivan Rakitic omitted from Barca squad for tonights game for "technical reasons", we were linked with him before, wonder is there anything in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's the first test we've had in about two months of course the Liverpool game is huge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic here but just watched a video of that Bakayoko lad,he seems to be a beast!

Looks to be a really good player from the few times I have seen him .
    He more than held his own in Spurs games and has looked the part the few Ligue 1 games I've watched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

It's the first test we've had in about two months of course the Liverpool game is huge

Yep loose that and we have one of the worst squads in league again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Nobody said it isn't huge. The statement was it the biggest game since the FA Cup final.

The Spurs game was huge. Had we lost that we were gone. Jose was looking very frustrated. We were playing better but failing to deliver.

Even if we lose the Pool game we have played well enough to think we can come back.

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    what a crock of ****e...........the bitterness pours out of this post.........

Trust me there is absolutely zero bitterness. I came here for a for a decent discussion after someone made a point that only Hazard and another player would get into the United team (think Bangkok posted originally) and that's the crap you counter with?

At least there's some good posters in here like Joyop and Joyo (who I only copped about a month ago were different posters), yaba, Rayne, Mick and Zerks (I'm sure I've missed loads of others) who will have a decent discussion and not resort to this childish nonesence.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Yep loose that and we have one of the worst squads in league again.

Bit harsh even if your joking :D.

It's a very big game for both teams but by no means is it the end of the world if it finished as a draw or one team looses, loads of games still to play and points to make up.

As long as it's not as terrible a game as the last time I think we can all at least enjoy it a bit more :)

I'm lost. United aren't close to the best first 11 and they wouldn't have most players in a Prem League best 11 so they'd not match up to either criteria.

If they were the best 11 they'd be first or close to it and as a consequence would have the most players in most best 11's as well.

United have a converted winger as RB, changing CB partnerships, one from three for LB, a fella in his mid-30s holding midfield together and some good talent in the final third who haven't been banging in record numbers of goals either.

Perspective after a good run of results is needed. Jose has improved United but they're still well off the top, in individual cases and collectively.

Next season, with the right buys could see United challenge for a title but I'd take top 4 right now.

How are they not close to the best first 11? There's only 5 teams above them, and not by much. United have already beaten Spurs, held a high flying Liverpool to a 0-0, and dominated Arsenal for 90 mins before a Giroud suckerpunch. Only City and Chelsea have beaten them, and City were 2nd best in the 2nd half and lucky to finish the game with 11 men. City have since shown their weakness in defence and in goals, the likes of Sane and Nolito are nothing to write home about either. Chelsea hammered us, but have also lost to Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs - teams that have failed to beat United. United's first 11 is a match for any of these teams.

Regarding the Premier League best 11, I really don't know why people keep bringing that up. United would probably have as many players on it as any one else though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Trust me there is absolutely zero bitterness. I came here for a for a decent discussion after someone made a point that only Hazard and another player would get into the United team (think Bangkok posted originally) and that's the crap you counter with?

At least there's some good posters in here like Joyop and Joyo (who I only copped about a month ago were different posters), yaba, Rayne, Mick and Zerks (I'm sure I've missed loads of others) who will have a decent discussion and not resort to this childish nonesence.

DeGea, Bailly, Shaw, Carrick, Mata, Pogba, Martial, Zlatan, Miki would all walk into the Liverpool team...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

beno619 wrote: »
    Zlatan would walk into that side and Klopp would change his system.

Well he certainly wouldn't run into the side that's for sure.

Klopp wouldn't change to accommodate him, you can't just plonk an immobile object like that up top and expect it to work, Sturridge can't get a look in for similar reasons and he looks nimble compared to Ibra.

It wasn't long ago lots of fans on here wanted Ibra dropped due to his wastefulness in front of goal and points he supposedly cost yous, the team goes on a nice run and all of a sudden he's god like again! Relax lads.

I did get a good chuckle from the only Hazard and Aguero stuff earlier on though, so not all bad.

No its not the first test
    A generic statement

Klopp wouldn't change to accommodate him, you can't just plonk an immobile object like that up top and expect it to work, Sturridge can't get a look in for similar reasons and he looks nimble compared to Ibra.

It wasn't long ago lots of fans on here wanted Ibra dropped due to his wastefulness in front of goal and points he supposedly cost yous, the team goes on a nice run and all of a sudden he's god like again! Relax lads.

I did get a good chuckle from the only Hazard and Aguero stuff earlier on though, so not all bad.

Immobile object?

You obviously haven't watched him play once if that's your "opinion" of him

Such nonsense

This sudden burst of willy waving only comes when a bit of fear sets in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I don't think it crazy or trolling to say certain players wouldn't fit a certain system and I agree that Zlatan wouldn't work with the current way Liverpool play.

But if you are judging purely on quality alone and not thinking about a way a side is playing at the moment then there is absolutely no question that Zlatan is a better forward than any of Liverpool's forwards.

It's about how you look at the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I don't think it crazy or trolling to say certain players wouldn't fit a certain system and I agree that Zlatan wouldn't work with the current way Liverpool play.

But if you are judging purely on quality alone and not thinking about a way a side is playing at the moment then there is absolutely no question that Zlatan is a better forward than any of Liverpool's forwards.

Exactly, square pegs don't fit into round holes no matter how much you try.

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    DeGea, Bailly, Shaw, Carrick, Mata, Pogba, Martial, Zlatan, Miki would all walk into the Liverpool team...

That's your opinion and your entitled to it. I have my opinion on who I thought would start for Liverpool and that was De Gea. Pogba maybe but we don't really play with a midfielder like him but like someone said earlier you probably could make a space for him. Personally for me Henderson, Lalana and Wiljumudium have had very good seasons and I wouldn't swap any of them for United's midfield at the minute.

Same goes for Couthino, Mane and Firmino (although going through a sticky patch at the minute). Those three work very well as a unit and i think the unit does great work in the final third for us.

Matip looks great but picked up a few niggly injuries. When he plays our back four looks very solid. Clyne and Milner have been very solid either side of the CB.

Where we've been very poor is the goal keeper and its cost a good few points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im still not sure what question is!! Ha

Anyway as things stand I would only have De Gea if just on form this season. I think if was go on form over past 3-4 years I would include Pogba and Miki would get nod too.

But question is too varied

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Bit harsh even if your joking :D.

It's a very big game for both teams but by no means is it the end of the world if it finished as a draw or one team looses, loads of games still to play and points to make up.

As long as it's not as terrible a game as the last time I think we can all at least enjoy it a bit more :)

I ment it more in terms of this thread and it's probably same in yours too.! I've said it few times we are only one defeat away from the next melt down.

The game is a massive game for us that it brings us right back into the tick of the 2nd place battle but it's probably bigger for pool because if Chelsea win and ye loose its going to be hard for ye to get back into the title race and ye are after loosing a lot of momentum and belief in two games.

so can we all agree, Pogba is better than Emre Can?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

bangkok wrote: »
    so can we all agree, Pogba is better than Emre Can?? :D

Pogba is more versatile with it but Can is far more consistent.

we're talking about hair, right?

That's a good post man. I was considering the way we play when I was saying Zlatan wouldn't be played but you said it in a way that makes more sense :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

How are they not close to the best first 11? There's only 5 teams above them, and not by much. United have already beaten Spurs, held a high flying Liverpool to a 0-0, and dominated Arsenal for 90 mins before a Giroud suckerpunch. Only City and Chelsea have beaten them, and City were 2nd best in the 2nd half and lucky to finish the game with 11 men. City have since shown their weakness in defence and in goals, the likes of Sane and Nolito are nothing to write home about either. Chelsea hammered us, but have also lost to Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs - teams that have failed to beat United. United's first 11 is a match for any of these teams.

Regarding the Premier League best 11, I really don't know why people keep bringing that up. United would probably have as many players on it as any one else though.

Only 5 teams above us, makes us a Europa League team.

Getting draws against Arsenal (the perpetual joke) and Liverpool shouldn't be taken as proof we've got the best 11 (best individuals/team or whatever cos I don't even know what the bloody argument is now).

10 points off the top halfway through a season and possibly, but hopefully not, heading for a third Europa League campaign in four seasons.

Let's cool the jets for a bit and recognise that there are teams (with better players in many positions) better than us and that's the way it's been since Fergie left.

We all hope that's going to change and signs are that's happening. We are moving in the right direction but still a good distance to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

The soccer forum is always good for a laugh. A Liverpool fan offered the pick of any of United's outfield players would only take Mkhitaryan... That's it!!! :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    Ivan Rakitic omitted from Barca squad for tonights game for "technical reasons", we were linked with him before, wonder is there anything in it

Heading to City supposedly.. would love for us to swoop in there ala Berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

The soccer forum is always good for a laugh. A Liverpool fan offered the pick of any of United's outfield players would only take Mkhitaryan... That's it!!! :pac: :pac: :pac:

You think thats funnier than a United fan saying only Aguero and HAzard would get into the United team?!?

As stated above based on talent alone i'd take the majority of Uniteds players, based on suitability for the system the manager wants i reckon its 4-5 (DDG, Pogba, Shaw, Bailly). Miky would be apart from the fact he hasn't worked well with Klopp in the past. If i'm picking a 22 tho i imagine the vast majority of the players not in the first 11 would be united. far deeper squad than liverpool right now (and would want to have given the difference in spend between the two)

I hope your correct and Klopp persists with his false 9 rubbish I also hope your correct in saying Klopp won't change his system because it'll eventually be found out.

Zlatan's output was poor for a period and some people wanted him dropped, pretty standard reaction.

astradave wrote: »

Berbatov was always ours, City made a last ditch attempt and failed.

• Advertisement

I hope your correct and Klopp persists with his false 9 rubbish I also hope your correct in saying Klopp won't change his system because it'll eventually be found out.

Zlatan's output was poor for a period and some people wanted him dropped, pretty standard reaction.

wow...

i think he might be the only United player he fancies is what he means...:)

Since when does a teams/managers system ever come into play when picking fantasy teams or is this just a way to justify picking Firmino over Zlatan or Lallana over Pogba.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Sure I wouldn't take any of their players, I only watch them twice a year unless United draw them in a cup tie.

Since when does a teams/managers system ever come into play when picking fantasy teams or is this just a way to justify picking Firmino over Zlatan or Lallana over Pogba.

because the initial comment was only Aguero and Hazard would get into the united team. hat implies current manager and system unless otherwise stated surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A lot of the talk seems to be made up 2+2=5 stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

M!Ck^ wrote: »

So...it looks like a bird sh*tting on your head does bring you luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Scrolled through 6 pages of trash.

Anyway, any transfer rumours going around, who is this bakayoko guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Scrolled through 6 pages of trash.

Anyway, any transfer rumours going around, who is this bakayoko guy?

The Mail are reporting that United won't let Morgan go until we receive a bid close to what we paid for him. Everton bid below 20m and have been told by United to up their bid or Morgan won't be going anywhere..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The Mail are reporting that United won't let Morgan go until we receive a bid close to what we paid for him. Everton bid below 20m and have been told by United to up their bid or Morgan won't be going anywhere..

Good, its about time Utd started to get market prices we they sell

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement