Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

stankratz wrote: »
    At first I was a bit bewildered at the stat and sought to clarify it out of curiousity, even if bangkok could provide that clarification for me. He couldn't, and since doing a bit of research myself, I'm now using it as an example of his regular fake news contribution to the thread and the "I'll believe anything I read without question once it agrees with my narrative" method behind it.

Not GGMU enough, or "Let's stuff Wigan at home, fingers crossed it goes well", today I don't care. No harm jayop.

Bastian Schweinsteiger is a German professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for English club Manchester United. A right-footed player, he usually plays as central midfielder. Earlier in his career, he primarily played as a wide midfielder. Wikipedia
    Born: August 1, 1984 (age 32), Kolbermoor, Germany
    Height: 1.83 m
    Weight: 79 kg
    Spouse: Ana Ivanović (m. 2016)
    Salary: 14.3 million GBP (2016)
    Current team: Manchester United F.C. (#31 / Midfielder)

on the very first page of google results. why would i make it up??!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

stankratz wrote: »
    At first I was a bit bewildered at the stat and sought to clarify it out of curiousity, even if bangkok could provide that clarification for me. He couldn't, and since doing a bit of research myself, I'm now using it as an example of his regular fake news contribution to the thread and the "I'll believe anything I read without question once it agrees with my narrative" method behind it.

Not GGMU enough, or "Let's stuff Wigan at home, fingers crossed it goes well", today I don't care. No harm jayop.

I'm hungover as **** today so I'm tired and emotional. Ignore me.

bangkok wrote: »
    Bastian Schweinsteiger is a German professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for English club Manchester United. A right-footed player, he usually plays as central midfielder. Earlier in his career, he primarily played as a wide midfielder. Wikipedia
    Born: August 1, 1984 (age 32), Kolbermoor, Germany
    Height: 1.83 m
    Weight: 79 kg
    Spouse: Ana Ivanović (m. 2016)
    Salary: 14.3 million GBP (2016)
    Current team: Manchester United F.C. (#31 / Midfielder)

on the very first page of google results. why would i make it up??!!!

Ahahaha, you ignore my post which questions that whole Google result? Holy shíte, worse myself, you're an absolute insanist and I'm done here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102213529&postcount=7344

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Im going out on a limb here but Leicester will beat Chelsea this weekend, Everton will beat City, and Im starting to think Swansea will beat Arsenal. I can see it all happening.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Im going out on a limb here but Leicester will beat Chelsea this weekend, Everton will beat City, and Im starting to think Swansea will beat Arsenal. I can see it all happening.

You've just done the one thing to ensure that that won't happen now. Or if it does then we'll get hockeyed by Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Top 6 should all comfortably make it into the 5th round of the cup.

Sure don't Liverpool have to make it to the 4th round first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm happy Morgan is being moved on. He annoyed the **** out of me at his time at Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

adox wrote: »
    I'm happy Morgan is being moved on. He annoyed the **** out of me at his time at Utd.

This official?

Nalz wrote: »
    This official?

Sorry, no. Was just catching up with the thread this evening and riding the links saying that it's near

Id be fairly excited by the Bakayoko fella based on his youtube stuff. Looks calm as fook on the ball and it looks like he would be our Carrick replacement. The quoted figure of £22 million is not a bad price to pay if we sell Schneiderlin for around £20 million. Any addition to the midfield would be welcome going into the second half of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Id be fairly excited by the Bakayoko fella based on his youtube stuff. Looks calm as fook on the ball and it looks like he would be our Carrick replacement. The quoted figure of £22 million is not a bad price to pay if we sell Schneiderlin for around £20 million. Any addition to the midfield would be welcome going into the second half of the season.

Be nearly a straight swap price wise.He does look good but I've only seen him play a handful of times.
    Morgan is no addition as it's clear he isn't staying so to get him out and bring in a replacement who will be contributing to the team would be a nice bit of business.

Be good to get 2 players in this month CM and CB it gives them time to settle in and it's less upheaval again in the summer.

Be good if there was truth to the rumours Lindelof and Bakayoko joining now.Get it done Ed!

I can see it happening but only if Schneiderlin leaves and probably Depay too as I think they need to free up space on the wage bill. Id be happy with just the Bakayoko guy if its all true.

I can see it happening but only if Schneiderlin leaves and probably Depay too as I think they need to free up space on the wage bill. Id be happy with just the Bakayoko guy if its all true.

I think a cm has to be signed now that Morgan looks to be gone.Long way to go in the season to be relying on 4 cm's and Basti.
    A CB would be an added bonus but not as critical now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

bangkok wrote: »
    just google "bastian schweinsteiger wages" 14.3m per year

Yup I mean if Google said it ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

How many/what positions do you think we will sign in Jan and the Summer?

Assuming we will get a midfielder and CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

He started off amazingly with superb passing and looked a real goal threat too then LVG broke him. Had Jose got him before that happened he might have had a future at united.
    Bakayoko looks a talent though,he could be a real asset in our midfield.

zerks wrote: »
    He started off amazingly with superb passing and looked a real goal threat too then LVG broke him. Had Jose got him before that happened he might have had a future at united.

It looks like Jose basically wanted nothing to do with him surely? Still imo one of his biggest failings as a manager, makes his mind up on players much too quickly.

Not that he's wrong on Schneiderlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I had high hopes for Morgan when he signed, disappointing that he didn't work out.

However Jose obviously sees something (or more likely doesn't) that means he won't make the grade for us.

His signings and squad management for us to date has been spot on so there is no reason to think he is wrong this time.

It looks like Jose basically wanted nothing to do with him surely? Still imo one of his biggest failings as a manager, makes his mind up on players much too quickly.

Not that he's wrong on Schneiderlin.

Yea I mean his success indicates you're 110% correct.

Or the evidence suggests that players hes unsure of get a kick up the arse, work hard and you'll get back into the team such as bastian. He's always said he won't release a player unless they want to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I don't remember this amazing start. LVG probably didn't help but it doesn't bode well the Bastian managed to get ahead of him in the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The Sun are linking Utd with a double transfer for Spurs full backs,Walker and Rose

Manchester clubs keen on Spurs' flying full-backs
    They have been hailed by some as the best pair of full-backs around, and Tottenham Hotspur's Kyle Walker and Danny Rose are the subject of covetous glances from both Manchester clubs, according to the Sun.

It suggests United boss Jose Mourinho is not interested in doing things by halves and "wants his club to push the boat out by making a sensational £60 million move for both England internationals" when the summer window comes around.

City, meanwhile, might settle for just one of the two, with Rose reported to be Pep Guardiola's main target.

Walker and Rose, both 26, are among the ranks of Spurs stars to have put pen to paper on new White Hart Lane contracts in the recent past. That, according to the Sun, means either United or City "would need to pay in excess of £30 million per player to even tempt Tottenham."

It adds that although "there appears little chance of Spurs chairman Daniel Levy selling both in the same summer," he might be willing to sell one, "if there is a serious offer on the table."

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/transfer-talk/79/post/3035632/manchesters-united-and-city-eye-up-spurs-full-back-duo-walker-and-rose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

beno619 wrote: »
    but it doesn't bode well the Bastian managed to get ahead of him in the pecking order.

I don't think that means much, Bastion only moved ahead in any pecking order once Schneiderlin made it clear he wanted to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd like walker - not arsed about Rose. Think Shaw is/will be better if he can stay fit and actually plays football.

Don't think Spurs would be tempted to sell either though, would nearly as difficult as trying to get Kane off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I'd like walker - not arsed about Rose. Think Shaw is/will be better if he can stay fit and actually plays football.

Don't think Spurs would be tempted to sell either though, would nearly as difficult as trying to get Kane off them.

Ya.thinking the same,would take a ridiculous offer to get either of them off Spurs,and then you would have the standard inflated price because they are English as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Excited for the match tonight. Really hoping we can just destroy them and finish this off quickly.

I wouldn't be too pushed on Walker and Rose.Two good players but they would cost a fortune and aren't exactly world class.Get Shaw fit and he's as good as any LB in the league.
    An upgrade on Valencia is needed but imo Walker isn't a huge upgrade.

United linked with James Bree the Barnsley RB in a few of the papers today.

a lot of talk around the young Benfica right back too - very highly rated - and the rumour is we are after him in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

a lot of talk around the young Benfica right back too - very highly rated - and the rumour is we are after him in the summer.

Semedo has been linked to continuously with Lindelof. The point was that Benfica wouldn't let the 2 of them leave in the same window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

The Sun are linking Utd with a double transfer for Spurs full backs,Walker and Rose

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/transfer-talk/79/post/3035632/manchesters-united-and-city-eye-up-spurs-full-back-duo-walker-and-rose

:o:o:o
    What a load of shíte!

I don't think that means much, Bastion only moved ahead in any pecking order once Schneiderlin made it clear he wanted to go.

Yeah good point.

Unlike the two previous managers I cant really argue with decisions he's made with regards to the management of the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Nalz wrote: »
    :o:o:o
    What a load of shíte!

Bangkok will be using that as a source to back up one of his argument in a few months :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Hoping we kill this 2 legged tie off tonight. Need to get a couple of goals. Wouldn't be keen on leaving with just a one or two goal gap. Saying that, I think we'll be fine. Used to dread games like these since we used to always f**k up somehow but feeling more confident than I have all season that we'll get the result we need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

A lot of "lets kill this tie before the second leg" type posts in the last few days. People seem to think that we have one foot in the final already.

The team might be playing reasonably well but I wouldnt think any game is a foregone conclusion these days based on recent performances.

While its great that everyone is optimistic it's highly optimistic to be thinking that we can simply breeze past supposedly inferior teams these days.

Hoping we kill this 2 legged tie off tonight. Need to get a couple of goals. Wouldn't be keen on leaving with just a one or two goal gap. Saying that, I think we'll be fine. Used to dread games like these since we used to always f**k up somehow but feeling more confident than I have all season that we'll get the result we need

Here is hoping for 9 in a row tonight. Keep that run going

In all 4 competition after Xmas is a great achievement so far. We have momentum whilst others are starting to stall a bit.

Just looking at the shots of the bench the other day players all smiles and jokes it was great to see. Mourinho has built a real team spirit again and it's starting to look like players would do all they could for him.

But hey others would have you believe he has the squad in disarray and his handling of players is a Joke. Funny you don't hear much about Miki now apart from the fact he's seen as crucial to the starting 11 and our end of season aspirations.

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »
    Why?

I had high hopes for him when he moved and I cant remember one game he played for Utd where he impressed me. Two managers now havent really fancied him at Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That's providing a limp excuse for Mourinho.

We might well find out the details after the move completes if Schneiderlan does an in-depth interview, but the likely developement is that of the last few weeks, where it became confirmed that players who signalled they wanted to leave, were excluded from squads.

I can only speculate that them wanting to leave came pretty early in the season, because Morgan and Memphis exclusion makes utterly no sense from a managerial standpoint and they were provided nothing you would constitute "a chance".

Obviously if the manager has outlined they will be backup until injuries or drastic drops in form and they feel they are good enough to start somewhere else, not much else you can do really. And Mourinho has a good enough track record with squad building to earn the benefit of the doubt.

But on a personal level, massively disappointed that these two felt they had to leave, and feel better effort could have been made from the manager to offer them a proper clean slate, as they were easily two of the worst scapegoated players under the Van Gaal regime, with not much logic, reason or justification

I've been somewhat concerned that for sometime now, maybe specifically post-Ferguson, but it felt a bit end of Ferguson, United has become a bit of a graveyard and terrible decision for young players, or players with the clear potential for the next level, not achieving it. I'm hoping that can be turned around although there is the shtick Mourinho gets beating with about youth, but a more longer term concern for me would be certain players looking at United thinking "hmmm plenty of careers have stalled from moving there".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'll probably play the wait and see game if this comes to pass.

Similar to Bailly, have never heard of this players before the links.

Wonder are we in line for some business January at all? It's typically a rubbish window where the world and its mother is linked and very little happens at a club our size. Obviously some moving out might mean some coming in, but does Mourinho historically do business in the January window that is of note?

I heard that Fonte handed in a transfer request with Southampton. Still continues to underwhelm me, and if that came to pass would kinda just stink of the Mendes merry-go-round.

Speaking of Southampton, still flabbergasted they were able to sign Højbjerg with what appears to have been **** all competition from bigger clubs. Where was our head at when he was looking to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Couldn't give a flying **** about Morgan & Memphis at this stage.

Sometimes these things dont work out and both parties move on, I sure Schneiderlan will establish himself as a good PL midfielder and maybe get a crack at a top club again. Memphis's career could go either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sure don't we all wish Webeck was playing instead of Martial and Rashford?

They'll be far from the best players to leave the club and we've always managed in the past to move on. I'm more confident now than I've been for 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

RobertKK wrote: »
    Sure don't we all wish Webeck was playing instead of Martial and Rashford?

I raise you TC23

yeah but whatever, Nani shouldn't have been sold. Could still being doing a creative flairful moment of magic bringing job for us. Jerks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I raise you TC23

I raise you Luís Carlos Almeida da Cunha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

jayo26 wrote: »
    I raise you Luís Carlos Almeida da Cunha

Some people thought he was a Cunha alright ;)

Some people thought he was a Cunha alright ;)

I loved him up the the point of shooting haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I've never had any feelings of regret when it came to Nani tbh.

I raise you TC23

(insert Clint Eastwood gif) ugggggh

I've never had any feelings of regret when it came to Nani tbh.

He was likeable but never felt the same way as it did watching chicarito bang in goals in Germany.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement